Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter (48254 Views)

Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / Pretty Woman Spotted Driving A Dangote Truck In Ibadan..photos / How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

the boss,, I sight u.
as for me and my household...... the cat delete will increase fuel consumption in an 03 4cyl Camry, I've been there and done that. I stick with siena on this. except you can trick the o2 sensors to work with the new no-cat con config(defouler),the downstream or post cat o2 sensor will send signals to the ecu which will also factor in the new free flow of air. ECU is just a GIGO computer, it will definitely try to compensate for the perceived excess air flow(lean) and command more fuel through the injectors.

like I said peeps, 03 Camry 4cyl

but oga boss what's ur take on this issue

my peugeot 406 I4 worked better without a catalyst (better fuel efficiency)
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:25pm On Dec 24, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

my peugeot 406 I4 worked better without a catalyst (better fuel efficiency)

let's experiment it on OUR evil spirit, back then in otown.... didnt know sh...t about cars, sent my car for servicing and car came back sounding different. drove it home (5mins) fuel entered reserve from a lil less than 1/4 tank. beginning of woes........ summary, Mech stole my cat con and vehicle guzzles fuel like nothing I've seen before. u don't want to know how that story ended
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 24, 2017
Coldplay007:
Wait oo.. does this mean Sienna used to Bobo us all those years ago.. grin
Cos all he wrote up there is just techie bobo.. grin

Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 24, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

let's experiment it on OUR evil spirit, back then in otown.... didnt know sh...t about cars, sent my car for servicing and car came back sounding different. drove it home (5mins) fuel entered reserve from a lil less than 1/4 tank. beginning of woes........ summary, Mech stole my cat con and vehicle guzzles fuel like nothing I've seen before. u don't want to know how that story ended

Cat delete has no significant impact on fuel economy as long as you use spacers.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by captainking(m): 4:10pm On Dec 24, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

The young man is on a solo mission somewhere in the middle east.... grin
haha...i believe he is one of the elders here.. So I thought... smileycompliments sir
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 5:20pm On Dec 24, 2017
badebillions:

Cat delete has no significant impact on fuel economy as long as you use spacers.

as long as u use spacers right, exactly my point!

but that is not the debate, the debate is cat delete has no impact on mpg since the post cat sensor monitors cat efficiency, but its not entirely true and I'm speaking from first hand experience that downstream sensor is used (in modern vehicles) as a checksum for the upstream sensor so if u delete cat then u have to trick the ecu by using spacers. I think u get my point.

in international forums u see experts arguing this single issue like its one hell of a deal albeit, with solid proof of live pids and data of stft and ltft. some even have a simulator for the downstream sensor and modify its values accordingly to see the effect on the trim values and surprisingly if affects FT. in some rare cases like mine its affects it up to 25%+.

well I wouldn't argue with the bosses tho, cos they have had years of experience with several brands..…. some even mistakenly pour origin in the cat to completely finish it...... but my point is, it happened to me! I installed cat for an exorbitant price and I'm not even sure if its not my cat.... but vehicle stabilized immediately... if I knew what I knew now I'd have checked for live data

Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 9:01pm On Dec 24, 2017
Right question is which catalyst are you guys talking about. If it's the one under the vehicle, then no negative effect on fuel consumption. In fact if it was clogged prior to removal, you will notice improved fuel economy after removal. If it's the other one just behind the radiator, then removal may affect fuel consumption.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 9:05pm On Dec 24, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

the issue may not have been removal of the catalyst. They usually remove and replace with wire mesh/gauze which restricts exhaust air. This is actually what caused the increased fuel consumption and not removal of a good catalyst converter.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 24, 2017
chukel:
the issue may not have been removal of the catalyst. They usually remove and replace with wire mesh/gauze which restricts exhaust air. This is actually what caused the increased fuel consumption and not removal of a good catalyst converter.
You can run a straight pipe.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:40am On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
Right question is which catalyst are you guys talking about. If it's the one under the vehicle, then no negative effect on fuel consumption. In fact if it was clogged prior to removal, you will notice improved fuel economy. If it's the other one just in front of the radiator, then removal may affect fuel consumption.

thank you so much, that's the one I'm referring to!
the one behind the radiator is the actual cat converter IMHO hence the names of the different sensors: pre and post cat! but y is it so damn expensive?
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 25, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

the one behind the radiator is the actual cat converter IMHO hence the names of the different sensors: pre and post cat! but y is it so damn expensive?
A lil bit more but with attendant increase in HP.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by nurey(m): 7:18am On Dec 25, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

It is made from precious metals such as platinum, palladium, rhodium, magnesium and some other metals like that.

Imagine how much you did sell a gram of those metals
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by bravolad(m): 7:26am On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
Right question is which catalyst are you guys talking about. If it's the one under the vehicle, then no negative effect on fuel consumption. In fact if it was clogged prior to removal, you will notice improved fuel economy after removal. If it's the other one just behind the radiator, then removal may affect fuel consumption.

That's the bank 2 therefore, there will be drop in performance and one major effect is decreased mpg.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:50pm On Dec 25, 2017
bravolad:

That's the bank 2 therefore, there will be drop in performance and one major effect is decreased mpg.

exactly
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:51pm On Dec 25, 2017
bravolad:

exactly!
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 5:27pm On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
You seriously need to upgrade or update ur Auto knowledge . U scored 2/100 there
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 5:32pm On Dec 25, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

So when the Cat was removed what did the mechanic replace it ?
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 5:34pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

You seriously need to upgrade or update ur Auto knowledge . U scored 2/100 there
if so, please educate me and others who share same ideology here.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 5:40pm On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
if so, please educate me and others who share same ideology here.
Well you ought to have taken into account how the O2 sensor will feed yoyr ECU with data . The bank 2 sensor compares readings from the other O2 sensor and this gets feed back to the ecu . This determine the Richness of fuel or oxygen .
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 5:43pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

Well yoy ought to have taken into account how the O2 sensor will feed yoyr ECU with data .
that's where I have issue with you. Is there a post O2 sensor for the cat under the car? Car in question is 03 camry
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 5:50pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

Well you ought to have taken into account how the O2 sensor will feed yoyr ECU with data . The bank 2 sensor compares readings from the other O2 sensor and this gets feed back to the ecu . This determine the Richness of fuel or oxygen .
I think you should go back and read my comment well. Bringing in bank 2 means you are already talking V6. If you noticed I avoided using terms bank 1 bank 2 to make it easy to a non car savvy person to understand. That cat behind the radiator can be bank 1 or bank2 depending on how many cylinder the car has. My question is, is there a sensor after the cat under the car. I want to learn.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 5:53pm On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
I think you should go back and read my comment well. Bringing in bank 2 means you are already talking V6. If you noticed I avoided using terms bank 1 bank 2 to make it easy to a non car savvy person to understand. That cat behind the radiator can be bank 1 or bank2 depending on how many cylinder the car has. My question is, is there a sensor after the cat under the car. I want to learn.
Yes therr is a sensor . V6 engines with two cats ha e four O2 sensors
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 5:56pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

Yes therr is a sensor . V6 engines with two cats ha e four O2 sensors
you still don't get me. And V6 has a 3 way cat system in Toyota. The third cat is under the car. Gazzuz please need the pic

Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 6:21pm On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
you still don't get me. And V6 has a 3 way cat system in Toyota. The third cat is under the car. Gazzuz please need the pic
Three Cat converters ? What's the 3rd for ?
In yoyr pic up there it only shows two cat converters . The banks are two 1 and 2.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 6:21pm On Dec 25, 2017
So, is there a sensor after the last catalyst under the car?
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 6:25pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

Three Cat converters ? What's the 3rd for ?
In yoyr pic up there it only shows two cat converters . The banks are two 1 and 2.
u should know this naa. U see the TWC? Three way catalytic converter. That's the 3rd. Solely for emission. Environmental protection.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 6:54pm On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
u should know this naa. U see the TWC? Three way catalytic converter. That's the 3rd. Solely for emission. Environmental protection.
The third box is not a cat covert .even you diagram does not say so.however therr are 4 sensors in your diagram . Banks 1 amd 2 one is left the other right I'm waiting to see a diagram with 3 cat convert
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 7:15pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

The third box is not a cat covert .even you diagram does not say so.however therr are 4 sensors in your diagram . Banks 1 amd 2 one is left the other right I'm waiting to see a diagram with 3 cat convert
stop dragging. If it's not a catalytic converter, pls what is it. Read up Toyota exhaust system with special reference to the catalytic converters. My diagram also didn't mention any catalyst. That diagram centered on the sensors. Check up the meaning of TWC with respect to Toyota exhaust system.
PS. I am still learning. But I want to learn well with evidence
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 7:33pm On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
stop dragging. If it's not a catalytic converter, pls what is it. Read up Toyota exhaust system with special reference to the catalytic converters. My diagram also didn't mention any catalyst. That diagram centered on the sensors. Check up the meaning of TWC with respect to Toyota exhaust system.
PS. I am still learning. But I want to learn well with evidence
Ok ask yourself this . Why would therr be a filter after a filter ?
What you see there is a middle box . Most cars have it .
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 7:55pm On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
Oh I see why you are getting Confused .
Now the TWC does not mean three different cat boxes rather a single Vat box that uses three process to purify fumes coming out of car.
Reduction+Horne Combe +Oxidation all in one box to bring out Nxt COS and H2O
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:59pm On Dec 25, 2017
friendly fire grin

Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by kingreign(m): 8:03pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

[s]The third box is not a cat covert .even you diagram does not say so.however therr are 4 sensors in your diagram . Banks 1 amd 2 one is left the other right I'm waiting to see a diagram with 3 cat convert [/s]

It is a catalytic converter. Starting from 98, Toyota implemented three way catalytic converters in their California state sold cars. One on each bank and a third to further 'cleanse' the exhaust gas.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graphic Pics: Passengers In Danfo Bus Badly Burnt After Fuel Stored Exploded / Thomas Jones: Who Is The First Nigerian To Drive A Car? (PHOTO) / Donald Trump’s Brand New Presidential Armoured Beast Limousine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.