Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter (48275 Views)

Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / Pretty Woman Spotted Driving A Dangote Truck In Ibadan..photos / How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by kingreign(m): 8:05pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

Oh I see why you are getting Confused .
Now the TWC does not mean three different cat boxes rather a single Vat box that uses three process to purify fumes coming out of car.
Reduction+Horne Combe +Oxidation all in one box to bring out Nxt COS and H2O

Hmmmm. Na three way catalytic converter
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by Mrcharming(m): 8:26pm On Dec 25, 2017
Chief, how much did you buy your cat and where? I removed the clogged cat in my Honda Accord and would like to get a replacement. Thanks.

obekediamondfuto:

as long as u use spacers right, exactly my point!

but that is not the debate, the debate is cat delete has no impact on mpg since the post cat sensor monitors cat efficiency, but its not entirely true and I'm speaking from first hand experience that downstream sensor is used (in modern vehicles) as a checksum for the upstream sensor so if u delete cat then u have to trick the ecu by using spacers. I think u get my point.

in international forums u see experts arguing this single issue like its one hell of a deal albeit, with solid proof of live pids and data of stft and ltft. some even have a simulator for the downstream sensor and modify its values accordingly to see the effect on the trim values and surprisingly if affects FT. in some rare cases like mine its affects it up to 25%+.

well I wouldn't argue with the bosses tho, cos they have had years of experience with several brands..…. some even mistakenly pour origin in the cat to completely finish it...... but my point is, it happened to me! I installed cat for an exorbitant price and I'm not even sure if its not my cat.... but vehicle stabilized immediately... if I knew what I knew now I'd have checked for live data
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 8:59pm On Dec 25, 2017
kingreign:

It is a catalytic converter. Starting from 98, Toyota implemented three way catalytic converters in their California state sold cars. One on each bank and a third to further 'cleanse' the exhaust gas.
Ok let's see a link plzzzzzz
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 9:04pm On Dec 25, 2017
kingreign:

Hmmmm. Na three way catalytic converter
Well explain this.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwie1ZX4-aXYAhUOmrQKHQqtBusQwqsBCCwwAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1e9EvrThk1Y&usg=AOvVaw3_Utoi-GVjPcSv_a2egD60
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 9:05pm On Dec 25, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
friendly fire grin

U dey laugh them.you nor go help ahah
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 9:07pm On Dec 25, 2017
kingreign:

[s]
It is a catalytic converter. Starting from 98, Toyota implemented three way catalytic converters in their California state sold cars. One on each bank and a third to further 'cleanse' the exhaust gas[/s].
Have you now understood it?
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

So when the Cat was removed what did the mechanic replace it ?

it was replaced with a similar box only difference was that it was as empty as fcuuk. twas wen I got a replacement that I understood what the panel beater was talking about.

peace
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 9:51pm On Dec 25, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

it was replaced with a similar box only difference was that it was as empty as fcuuk. twas wen I got a replacement that I understood what the panel beater was talking about.

peace
Oh dear . Bad people dem
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:54pm On Dec 25, 2017
erico2k2:

Yes therr is a sensor . V6 engines with two cats ha e four O2 sensors

bros not just the v6 the I4 also has similar config of two cats....... one just behind the radiator and another one just underneath the car, parallel to the armrest
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:57pm On Dec 25, 2017
chukel:
I think you should go back and read my comment well. Bringing in bank 2 means you are already talking V6. If you noticed I avoided using terms bank 1 bank 2 to make it easy to a non car savvy person to understand. That cat behind the radiator can be bank 1 or bank2 depending on how many cylinder the car has. My question is, is there a sensor after the cat under the car. I want to learn.

wen people do cat delete I'm sure its the second cat they are removing!
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:59pm On Dec 25, 2017
Mrcharming:
Chief, how much did you buy your cat and where? I removed the clogged cat in my Honda Accord and would like to get a replacement. Thanks.

nna mehn guyoyo as at 2015 wen I changed the cat it was around 20k+ don't know about now oh

cc luvinghubby
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 11:18pm On Dec 25, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

bros not just the v6 the I4 also has similar config of two cats....... one just behind the radiator and another one just underneath the car, parallel to the armrest

That's what I meant each Cat has two sensors one before gas goes in one after gas leaves . One is heated one is not . 2 cats =4 sensors one cat =2 sensors .
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 11:20pm On Dec 25, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

It is and U ha e to find a way to tell your ECU all is well too.if you was in Europe or America your car might fail emissions test if not done properly .
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 1:13am On Dec 26, 2017
erico2k2:

The third box is not a cat covert .even you diagram does not say so.however therr are 4 sensors in your diagram . Banks 1 amd 2 one is left the other right I'm waiting to see a diagram with 3 cat convert
I really don't know what you are talking about. The diagram is there for you

Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by Originalsly: 1:50am On Dec 26, 2017
mikebuddy:

1] The catalyst does not have any sensor, hence is does not feed data to ECU.
2] Catalyst does not control oxygen, hence it cannot even feed data to oxygen sensor, how does it even feed this data when it has nothing to do with oxygen?
3] It was simply placed there to clean the air coming from engine before it heats the environment, lets not make the duty of this catalyst cumbersome.
Did Siena say any of this?...that the cat has sensors? Why try to confuse others like me who are trying to learn?
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 8:48am On Dec 26, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

exactly. In a 4 cylinder vehicle. So if we go by the "bank system", 4 cylinder has only bank 1 and should have only 1 cat. But it has 2.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 9:16am On Dec 26, 2017
erico2k2:

That's what I meant each Cat has two sensors one before gas goes in one after gas leaves . One is heated one is not . 2 cats =4 sensors one cat =2 sensors .
you are saying a totally different thing from what he is saying. Each bank has a cat and another cat under the car. So a 4 cylinder with only 1 bank has 2 cats and a 6 cylinder with 2 banks has 3 cats. One for each bank and one under the vehicle. The one under the vehicle affects fuel consumption in no way.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 9:26am On Dec 26, 2017
erico2k2:

Well explain this.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwie1ZX4-aXYAhUOmrQKHQqtBusQwqsBCCwwAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1e9EvrThk1Y&usg=AOvVaw3_Utoi-GVjPcSv_a2egD60
you still miss the point oga. The catalyst converter with pre and post sensor is not a 3 way catalyst converter. A three way catalyst converter is always underneath the car and is solely for environmental purpose. That is why there is no post cat sensor. Do you get it now. Look at that video u posted, what is the position of that TWC. Is there any sensor post TWC?
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 10:20am On Dec 26, 2017
erico2k2:

U dey laugh them.you nor go help ahah
na you d guy de laugh actually.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 1:54pm On Dec 26, 2017
chukel:
na you d guy de laugh actually.
ahah you are funny, did you click on the link I sent you?
That was basically a clip that explains to likes of you waht a three way cat converter is and how it works.I bet you never read or played the video
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
chukel:
you are saying a totally different thing from what he is saying. Each bank has a cat and another cat under the car. So a 4 cylinder with only 1 bank has 2 cats and a 6 cylinder with 2 banks has 3 cats. One for each bank and one under the vehicle. The one under the vehicle affects fuel consumption in no way.
eheh this is actually funny, a 4 cylinder that has 4 manifolds has to cat converter ahah realy? who is producing the fumes for teh other cat converter?
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 2:36pm On Dec 26, 2017
erico2k2:

eheh this is actually funny, a 4 cylinder that has 4 manifolds has to cat converter ahah realy? who is producing the fumes for teh other cat converter?
sorry, but you are making a joke of yourself.
The 2nd cat is the TWC, which is the link you posted. That TWC is under the vehicle and is strictly for environmental protection. Bro, with all due respect, I give up on you.
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 2:40pm On Dec 26, 2017
Obekediamondfuto, please help me answer these questions
1. What the make, model and year of your car in question
2. Is it a 4 cylinder?
If yes to question 2,
3. Does it have a cat behind the radiator?
4. Does it have another cat under the car?
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by erico2k2(m): 3:04pm On Dec 26, 2017
chukel:
sorry, but you are making a joke of yourself.
The 2nd cat is the TWC, which is the link you posted. That TWC is under the vehicle and is strictly for environmental protection. Bro, with all due respect, I give up on you.
grin

Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:11pm On Dec 27, 2017
chukel:
Obekediamondfuto, please help me answer these questions
1. What the make, model and year of your car in question
... 03 Camry 4cyl
2. Is it a 4 cylinder?
yes it is
If yes to question 2,
3. Does it have a cat behind the radiator?
yes it does
4. Does it have another cat under the car? yes it does
Re: Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 9:09pm On Dec 27, 2017
Thank you. Case closed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Donald Trump’s Brand New Presidential Armoured Beast Limousine / Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery / Man Begs Profusely As A 2021 Gwagon Is Being Offloaded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.