Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? (15050 Views)

Court Dissolves 30-day-old Marriage, Asks Woman To Refund Dowry / Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? / Like Will Smith, Would You Consider an Open Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Ibime(m): 12:06am On Jun 22, 2011
How much is the going price for dowry these days?

How much would you consider to be exhorbitant?

Whether Igbo, Yoruba, Benin, Ijaw, I wanna know how much the average dowry is in your culture.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by ifyalways(f): 12:23am On Jun 22, 2011
N54(FIfty four naira) for a graduate and N36 (thirty six) for a non-graduate.my place.Very fair and pocket friendly,lol.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 3:52am On Jun 22, 2011
I have no idea. cheesy

Can't ask my dad either, because for good 5hrs and counting he'd be telling me stories. shocked I dread them. cool
Whatever my would be fiance see, let him take it like that. tongue grin
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by obowunmi(m): 4:11am On Jun 22, 2011
150K to 350K
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Jeel: 6:40am On Jun 22, 2011
true love
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Bawss1(m): 8:50am On Jun 22, 2011
ifyalways:

N54(FIfty four naira) for a graduate and N36 (thirty six) for a non-graduate.my place.Very fair and pocket friendly,lol.

Pocket friendly till you see the hidden charges that come with the above. cheesy Igbo dowries are unnecessarily exorbitant.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by ifyalways(f): 9:02am On Jun 22, 2011
^Mr I-too-know,have u been to the whole of Igboland?There are no hidden charges whatsoever in my place and the 'bridal list' itself spans into 2 pages of petty things that can't cost more than 150K,give or take. . .my place,not what "you" think to be true for the whole of Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Ibime(m): 9:09am On Jun 22, 2011
^^ And what would be the case for the whole Igboland, Awka for example? (Dowry + Bridal list)
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by ifyalways(f): 9:19am On Jun 22, 2011
Let me quickly add this;Sometimes,grooms bring to the bride's family wayyyy,i mean like tripple of what is required of them for the bride price for reasons ranging from affection for the bride to just wanting to show off his wealth etc.Now,someone wud attend such a trad. wedding,see how much the groom willingly spent,then sit back in his/her chair to ignorantly conclude that the bride's family were unreasonable with their bride list/price.I've seen this happening,big boys spend willingly;its their day and money.ndi aguru go siddon instead of to chop the awuf food and drink,dem dey siddon dey do addition and subtraction for another pesin pocket.lolz

1 Like

Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by ifyalways(f): 9:35am On Jun 22, 2011
@Ibime,no one can honestly and correctly quote the bride price/list for a full state in Igboland,not to talk of the whole Igboland.It varies,even within communities and kindreds.Things are changing,families now decide what their bride price wud be,sometimes.The only source of the right quotation (In Igboland) is from the girl's father,QED.Btw,any specific reason for ur interest in Awka preciesly?Ujujoan na Awka babez . . .just asking.lolz
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Ibime(m): 9:58am On Jun 22, 2011
No, not Awka babe. . . I only asked cos I understand Anambra peeps charge the most.

Am just trying to figure out if some people are being greedy or whether their request is perfectly normal, although the subject of my interest is not Nigerian but East African.  grin
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Bawss1(m): 10:09am On Jun 22, 2011
ifyalways:

^Mr I-too-know,have u been to the whole of Igboland?There are no hidden charges whatsoever in my place and the 'bridal list' itself spans into 2 pages of petty things that can't cost more than 150K,give or take. . .my place,not what "you" think to be true for the whole of Igboland.

Ahh. I seem to have ticked off a raw nerve there with my assumptive statement. I apologize.

Nevertheless it is widely believed that Alaigbo has one of the highest dowries and bride prices in this country. Where did this belief (whether correct or not) come from?
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by ifyalways(f): 10:24am On Jun 22, 2011
I've also heard that Imo bride price is the most expensive,not totaly true as i've witnessed a trad. Wedding there,twas just abt normal,nothing extraodinary.The "my place" i referred to is a town in "Anambra state" too so u see,no size fits all.True,the price and/or list are sometimes downright s.illy and makes no sense whatsoever.How can one justify "nepa bills" in a bridal list I think greed and poverty is the undelining factor. . .some girls see marriage as an escape,families see groom as a meal ticket/maga.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by ovdot(m): 12:34pm On Jun 22, 2011
It depends on the family and i believe it is negotiable. My wife is from the northern part of the country i paid about 100k for Dowry.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by otokx(m): 12:36pm On Jun 22, 2011
nice point there - ifyalways
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by kufreabasi(m): 12:37pm On Jun 22, 2011
It's all about negotiation between you and your inlaw and the level of a woman you married to.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 22, 2011
grin For an igbo girl you have to pay 60 k(sixty thousand naira),20 crates of soft drinks,five herds of cattle,10 kegs of palmwine,10 cartons of beer,a loapard skin,4 boxes of snuff, and an expensive lace for her mom.
For a yoruba girl it has to be 20k(twenty thousand naira) and you have to have at least a PH.d.
For a hausa or fulani girl you have to be a muslim and a jihadist before her parents consider you for marriage and no dowry is required
For an edo girl the dowry is not expensive
For a white girl its dowry free
And for an indian girl it would be her parents paying you the dowry
Hope i have cleared up the issue wink
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by feelamong(m): 12:40pm On Jun 22, 2011
JUST ASK SOMEONE THAT MARRIED A WIFE FROM MBAISE OR OWERRI IN IMO STATE…

APART FROM THE HGH DOWRY, BE READY TO PAY SOME HIDDEN CHARGES LIKE TAKING CARE OF A SMALL COUSIN/SSITER UP TO UNIVERSITY LEVEL….
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by feelamong(m): 12:42pm On Jun 22, 2011
meanwhile is there no place in naiaj where the girl’s parents would have to pay the dowry
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Enosa1(m): 12:47pm On Jun 22, 2011
4 the beni girl. i think its 25 naira plus some kola nut. Highly refundable so don't play joke with he
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:57pm On Jun 22, 2011
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by MissyB3(f): 1:01pm On Jun 22, 2011
N 24 . . .We don't charge much. cheesy
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Welder(m): 1:02pm On Jun 22, 2011
Any ideas on the dowry and rites involved in the Isoko/Urhobo and Ijaw Cultures?
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Bawss1(m): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2011
tom28:

grin For an igbo girl you have to pay 60 k(sixty thousand naira),20 crates of soft drinks,five herds of cattle,10 kegs of palmwine,10 cartons of beer,a loapard skin,4 boxes of snuff, and an expensive lace for her mom.
For a yoruba girl it has to be 20k(twenty thousand naira) and you have to have at least a PH.d.
For a hausa or fulani girl you have to be a muslim and a jihadist before her parents consider you for marriage and no dowry is required
For an edo girl the dowry is not expensive
For a white girl its dowry free
And for an indian girl it would be her parents paying you the dowry
Hope i have cleared up the issue wink

What in the world would they want to use that for. cheesy
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 22, 2011
E.nosa:

4 the beni girl. i think its 25 naira plus some kola nut. Highly refundable so don't play joke with he
Edo girls are much beautiful than igbo girls so i wonder why igbo girls tend to cost too much on their dowry.Maybe we edo guys should start hiking the dowry price for our women cheesy
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Ibime(m): 1:09pm On Jun 22, 2011
tom28:

I would happily carry this one cos the one wey I hold for my hand pass this one wella.

Welder:

Any ideas on the dowry and Ijaw Cultures?

Ijaw culture varies from village to village and compound to compound. If you want to marry from my family, it will cost you exactly N1.
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 22, 2011
Bawss1:

What in the world would they want to use that for. cheesy
My brother i asked this same question the other day and there was this elderly looking igbo man with white whiskers who told me i dared cheesy not question the elders or the gods
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 22, 2011
This one pass me
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by kandiikane(m): 1:16pm On Jun 22, 2011
Rich parents-
250k in Dalasi(for parents)
Kola nuts
A house
Two cows
Earning a good income
Huge trunks of clothes for the bride
Lace for the bride mother
And this small wrapper call "baycho"(thats for the husband own eyes) wink  and "bin-bin"( the beads most African women would wear on their waist but with elastic instead.

Poor parents:
Ask respectfully and bring Kola nuts
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by chibest5(m): 1:19pm On Jun 22, 2011
250k will be enough in Imo state
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by r231(m): 1:32pm On Jun 22, 2011
N1500 plus endless LIST

from live goat to chicken, suitcase with clothes, drinks and the list goes on grin grin
Re: Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry? by temmytanny(m): 1:45pm On Jun 22, 2011
I paid 500k for my akwa ibom gurl but that includes total cost of the traditional wedding

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hilarious Photos Of Men Shopping With Their Wives, Can You Relate? / After 14 Years Of Childlessness, Nigerian Couple Welcomes Baby Girl (pics/video) / Need Help With CLOMID Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.