Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. (3211 Views)

Is The Audi A6 A Good Car To Buy? / Audi A6 2001 Model Fuel Consumption! / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by eternal05: 6:07pm On Jun 22, 2011
Baba Siena, pls I need your help. I have gone thru several posts about the Audi; d a6 in particular and it's obvious you're the Audi guru. I am in love wit the Audi brand, d a6 in particular and I am making plans on buying one from the U.S.A soon (a6 2001 model). D problem is like u can imagine I've been getting a lot of discouragements concerning reliability, cost of maintenance, availability of parts, reliable mechanics for maintenance and fuel consumption. A couple of times I've decided to let go and go 4 a Toyota or Honda like everyone is suggesting, it will be awful to ignore everybody's request and end up making a mistake. What I need is your professional and as usual unbiased advice on d a6 2001 model btw 100k - 180k mileage. Under d following headings and any others I might have missed out. 1. availability of parts in Nigeria. 2. qualified mechanics/technicians in Nigeria. 3. d best engine option 4 a combination of reasonable power and fuel consumption from d 2.7T and lower. 4. General reliability of d machine and parts and any known susceptibilities to damage. 5. General Pros and Cons. 6. Wat steps to take wen my car arrives to ensure good performance, things like fluid changes, timing belt change and inspection, wheel alignment and stuff like dat, and frequency of routine servicing.

I don't know much about cars and most of wat I've said here is from wat I've learnt generally from d numerous posts I've read. I know u're busy, but pls make out some time to help a confused broda in desperate need. I live in Asaba, in Delta state and school in Anambra State (graduating dis year) so if u know any reputable mechanics and parts supplier within proximity it'll be great help too. THANK YOU IN LOADS FOR your ANTICIPATED HELP.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by eternal05: 1:30am On Jun 25, 2011
Siena am still waiting please naaa. Don't forsake a brother in need.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 25, 2011
Any mechanic that's familiar with Volkswagen, won't have any issues working on Audi.

First of all, when a Nigerian mechanic attempts (and often succeeds) in discouraging one from buying an Audi, or other automobile other than Japmobiles, they're simply safeguarding their business. And covering up their ignorance. They tend to be set in their ways. If you buy an Audi, then they'd lose you as a source of future patronage.

You like the Audi Brand, particularly the A6. So, I'll deal with these. Between 1997 and 2011, there are two models - C5 and C6. The C5 was available from 1997 - 2004, while the C6 was available from 2004 - 2011. From 2011, a new version was launched, but I won't cover that one here. And seeing as you're interested in a 2001 model, I'll keep things related to the C5 series, for now.

Audi A6 C5 petrol engine options:

1,781cc I4 20V turbo (1,8T) 150 bhp.
1,984cc I4 20V (2,0) 130 bhp.
2,393cc V6 30V (2,4) 165 bhp.
2,393cc V6 30V (2,4) 170 bhp.
2,671cc V6 30V biturbo (2,7T) 230 bhp.
2,671cc V6 30V biturbo (2,7T) 250 bhp.
2,771cc V6 30V (2,cool 193 bhp.
2,976cc V6 30V (3,0) 220 bhp.
4,172cc V8 40V (4,2) 300 bhp.
4,172cc V8 40V (4,2) 340 bhp. *S6.
4,172cc V8 40V biturbo (4,2T) 450 bhp. ** RS6.
4,172cc V8 40V biturbo (4,2T) 480 bhp. ***RS6-plus.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 25, 2011
I have started responding, but this blo0dy spam bot keeps tagging my posts! angry There's got to be a better way to regulate posts, for Pete's sake!! angry angry Spammers posting the same advert over 30 times is classed as spam, yet they get away with it. Really annoying. Seun, can something be done about this?
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 25, 2011
Spam BOT keeps witholding my posts. angry
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by eternal05: 12:53pm On Jun 25, 2011
Okay Bro, am waiting and sorry about d spam bot issue. Maybe you can put them together as one post. or open a new thread for it. Just suggesting, you know better.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by BizBooks(m): 1:05pm On Jun 25, 2011
eternal05:

Okay Bro, am waiting and sorry about d spam bot issue. Maybe you can put them together as one post. or open a new thread for it. Just suggesting, you know better.

You can read what the Spambot is withholding by clicking on Siena's name and then "Show the last posts of this person."
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by eternal05: 3:56pm On Jun 25, 2011
Okay BizBooks, thanks for d heads up.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by eternal05: 4:29pm On Jun 26, 2011
Hi Siena, am still waiting to hear from you on my email, hope you haven't forgotten. Thanks again.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 26, 2011
Any mechanic that's familiar with Volkswagen, won't have any issues working on Audi.

First of all, when a Nigerian mechanic attempts (and often succeeds) in discouraging one from buying an Audi, or other automobile other than Japmobiles, they're simply safeguarding their business. And covering up their ignorance. They tend to be set in their ways. If you buy an Audi, then they'd lose you as a source of future patronage.

You like the Audi Brand, particularly the A6. So, I'll deal with these. Between 1997 and 2011, there are two models - C5 and C6. The C5 was available from 1997 - 2004, while the C6 was available from 2004 - 2011. From 2011, a new version was launched, but I won't cover that one here. And seeing as you're interested in a 2001 model, I'll keep things related to the C5 series, for now.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 26, 2011
Audi A6 C5 petrol engine options:

1,781cc I4 20V turbo (1,8T) 150 bhp.
1,984cc I4 20V (2,0) 130 bhp.
2,393cc V6 30V (2,4) 165 bhp.
2,393cc V6 30V (2,4) 170 bhp.
2,671cc V6 30V biturbo (2,7T) 230 bhp.
2,671cc V6 30V biturbo (2,7T) 250 bhp.
2,771cc V6 30V (2,cool 193 bhp.
2,976cc V6 30V (3,0) 220 bhp.
4,172cc V8 40V (4,2) 300 bhp.
4,172cc V8 40V (4,2) 340 bhp. S6
4,172cc V8 40V biturbo (4,2T) 450 bhp.
RS6
4,172cc V8 40V biturbo (4,2T) 480 bhp.RS6+
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by eternal05: 12:32am On Jun 27, 2011
I am listening and waiting for the rest of it please. Thanks.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
Now with this in mind, based on the country of use (Nigeria) I would forget the V8, S6 and RS6 models. An enthusiasts car, but thirsty. The RS6 was not officially exported to the United States, or Canada, due to emmission levels. So, that pretty much rules out the RS6, unless you intend to buy from Europe. V8 models are not Nigerian-mechanic friendly either.

The 2,7T models are great. Only drawbacks, are the twin KKK-03 turbochargers. Not the last name in reliability, and their removal / service requires engine and transmission removal, due to their close proximity to the chassis rails.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 29, 2011
The 1,8T models are good. The issues with the 1,8T though, are to do with oil sludge. It's essential fully synthetic oil is used, 5W-30 or 5W-40. You need to stick to just one oil. Most sludge issues arise when oil is topped-up with mineral oil. This forms a thick, black sludge, and the oil pump eventually fails. In most cases when the oil pressure warning lamp illuminates, it's too late, and at the very least, a new cylinder head will be required, along with a new oil pump. If you're unlucky, the engine block will require attention, with the crankshaft main bearings, as well as conrod bearings requiring replacement.

1 Like

Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
The best option in terms of engine type, giving reasonable power delivery, and good fuel economy would be the 2,0 I4 20V. Similar in design to the 1,8T, bar the turbocharger. Since it's not turbocharged, heat is less of a problem, and the oil grade is less critical. It can be run on semi-synthetic oil, or mineral 10W-40. The 2,0 I4 20V return 33 mpg, which is comparable with most Japmobiles up to 2,0L.

Depending on where you choose to buy your car though, you're a bit limited in engine variants if buying a US-spec car. The US didn't get the 2,0 I4 20V. So, your options would be to buy from Europe.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by kuntash: 1:03pm On Jun 29, 2011
I like that Audi A4.,, 2004 or 2005 model, its really cool, its a straight 4 and I think 1.8ltrs engine, with double exhaust, Siena, wats d brain behind that ride? ,

@ thread owner, sorry O , I seem to jam ur thread, but its for Audi anyway cheesy
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 29, 2011
If you must have a V6 model, then the 2,4 V6 30V will fit the bill. 165 bhp for early models, and 170 from 2000 - 2004. They are hard-wearing, and will have a longer service life compared to I4 models.

Whichever model you choose, they are all belt-driven. It is essential the timing belt, tensioner, idlers AND water pump are replaced. Replacement interval is around the 80,000 mile mark, they've been known to last till 150,000 miles, but also been known to break at 75,000. Don't tempt fate. If there's no record of it having been replaced in the last 70,000 miles, factor that in as an urgent maintenance procedure. It's also very important that anything the belt rotates with, or drives - tensioner, idler rollers abd water pump are replaced at the same time, no exceptions. A water pump seizing would shred a new belt in seconds.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 29, 2011
All automatics require maintenance, unlike manual models, which are maintenance-free. The fluids must be replaced at least once a year, if the car is used in dense traffic, where heat could be an issue. Heat causes the ATF to break down early. It is not just a simple drain by undoing a plug underneath. There's just one plug for drain and re-fill. Draining is easy, filling however isn't done by gravity. A special feed pump is needed.

There are two types of auto transmission used in the Audi A6 - Tiptronic, and Multitronic. The Tiptronic is more durable, and is used in higher-powered FWD models, and ALL Quattro versions. The Multitronic is used in lower-powered models, and not available in conjunction with Quattro. Less durable than Tip, with the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) being prone to failure. I send a fair amount of these to buyers in Australia, which is cheaper, even with shipping costs, than buying from Audi Australia.

Both types are easy to identify - Tiptronic are 5-speed, while Multitronic (A CVT unit) are all 6-speed. Whichever you choose (I recommend 5-speed Tip) you'll need to check if the recommended fluid replacements have been done. And if any have had complete transmission (or TCU) replaced under warranty. Good for you if they've been done.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 29, 2011
If you choose to do a DIY fluid flush in your tranny, here's a very informative site:

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_fluid/audi_automatic_transmission_fluid.shtml

And here's a step-by-step guide. The vehicle used as the model is a Volkswagen Passat B5, but it's the same as the Audi A6. All mechanical parts are the same:

http://picasaweb.google.com/faisal05mirza/DIYTransmissionFluidFlushTiptronicPanDrop?authkey=7ZshKACfckw#
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by eternal05: 8:46pm On Jun 30, 2011
Thanks so much man. I couldn't come online for a while, and I just saw the update. Thanks bro, I appreciate. I think I'll go with either the 2.0 I4 20v or  the 2.4 v6 30. Thanks again bro. I owe you one for helping.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jun 30, 2011
^^^ No worries, bro. if you need any more help, or have specific questions, just holla.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by eternal05: 6:54am On Jul 01, 2011
Aight man, 4 sure.
Re: Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. by Trac: 1:45am On Jul 02, 2011
Siena:

The 1,8T models are good. The issues with the 1,8T though, are to do with oil sludge. It's essential fully synthetic oil is used, 5W-30 or 5W-40. You need to stick to just one oil. Most sludge issues arise when oil is topped-up with mineral oil. This forms a thick, black sludge, and the oil pump eventually fails. In most cases when the oil pressure warning lamp illuminates, it's too late, and at the very least, a new cylinder head will be required, along with a new oil pump. If you're unlucky, the engine block will require attention, with the crankshaft main bearings, as well as conrod bearings requiring replacement.

The Factory Operations Manual calls for a minor and major oil changed.  Most never do this and from the update Audi gave, maintenance requirements are even closer (from 7500 to 5000-mile interval).  Many have no knowledge of this and just do oil changes.  I am not surprise about people mis-matching grades or oil-types (e.g. crankcase oil in transmission case).  I do think the vehicles are prone to sludging by inherent design due to the benefits out-weighing the tradeoffs. Maybe I am wrong but I'm basing my opinions on the aforementioned. I'll appreciate the answer to this. It'll go a long way for me in the soon-to-be future.

Question: Is there an oil sheet spec for Audi? My buddy that owns an Audi buys the Audi oil. E.g. MB engines use Mobil 1 with 229.3 sheet formulation.

Siena:

Siena not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are.  You are also into engine and chassis tuning.  Many can't explain why certain sub-parts are equipped in a vehicle but you can.  It started as a passion for you and you grabbed it by the horn.  From your plane, the understanding is simple to comprehend no matter how the curve-ball is.   . . . but not everyone can achieve that feat.  Let's examine the picture -- the Audi' is a mechatronic plant preloaded with predefined statistics (where needed) and an advance "control-systems" that could play on the minds of those that understand it.  In addition to that, it is "precise-engineered" unlike the VW, Seat or Skoda.  This is not for everyone; either the user or the person to work on it.  Mechatronics is not easy because all must work in harmony and when one aspect has a mind of its own, everything goes wrong and it's at the garage awaiting service.  Understand that I am not tolerating nor taking the sides of anybody taking a fee for service and not understanding what is to be done and what's done but let's examine the environment and the people that run it.

It's understanding when the mechanics discourage people from buying an Audi.  The enthusiast will not be moved nor those that have owned Audi's for decades.  People purchase these cars for the wrong reasons.  They only want the better and the car is good as long as it's not calling for maintenance when it's due and when it does, they defer it and the consequences is what is flooded to everyone.  As if it isn't bad enough, non-genuine part are installed after unmounting, paying no mind to what may occur and from there, they have less and less of Audi and more and more of misc. and lo, it becomes a "bag of beans" as it becomes unpredictable.  The Nigerian mechanics know that the cunny method to eliminate symptoms work on American and Japanese cars but not the European from experience and would not bother trying.   Many need to stick to japanese cars where nothing and no attention is paid to it.

(1) (Reply)

12 Weird Car Designs That Show Creativity / Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? / What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.