Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,390 members, 7,836,567 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations (4362 Views)

Five APC Power Blocs Battle For Control Ahead Of 2023 Presidency Poll / Secondus Saved From Wike's Coup By Northern Power Brokers / 2023: APC Power Blocs Battle For National Chairmanship Position (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by MANDIPUTIN: 3:04pm On Feb 06, 2022
The insistence of the South to produce the country’s next president appears to have thrown the Northern political elite into a flurry of meetings on how best to negotiate an acceptable outcome that will keep Nigeria intact before and after 2023 amid feelings of marginalisation in the South.

Across political persua­sions, influential voices in the North, Sunday Inde­pendent learnt, are split over the best approach to resolving the agitation for Southern presidency.

The Northern leaders, it was gathered, are weigh­ing some factors that could make or break the union if not brilliantly tackled at this most tense moment of the nation’s history but there has been no agree­ment so far.

Even among the major political parties, the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Peoples Demo­cratic Party (PDP), negoti­ators are rumoured to have run into a brick wall.

Findings by Sunday In­dependent revealed that the APC is determined not to lose power in 2023, while the PDP is also determined to wrest power from the ruling party.

Investigations also re­vealed that two Northern blocs may have emerged, with these two blocs di­vided over what criterion should determine the can­didate that would get their (northern) support.

While a group is sing­ing the equity song, in­sisting that for Nigeria to become cohesive again, they should back a candi­date from the South-East, the other insists that for Nigeria to recover from the destabilization of the past six years, a charismat­ic and capable candidate from any zone should get their backing.

An Abuja-based political analyst, Abdullahi Gimba, in a chat with our corre­spondent, said he believes that the APC and PDP are waiting on each other to elect the preferred candi­dates.

“I think both the APC and PDP are playing a kind of hide and seek game. From the look of things, it is likely that the APC will go towards the south to pick its flag bearer, and from all indications, PDP will likely head towards the north.

“You know the agitation everywhere now is that it is the turn of the south-east because since 1999, they have never been giv­en an opportunity. But the argument now is, to which of the two main parties has the south-east contributed most, it is the PDP.

“But if you ask me, I will tell you that the PDP won’t look the way of the south-east because the par­ty’s power brokers believe that they can only win the election with a candidate from the north.

“And for the APC, I want to believe that the APC power brokers will respect the gentleman’s agreement they had at the party’s formation stage. The ticket will likely go to the south and it will likely go to the south-west. You know the south-east have not contributed much to the APC and so I don’t see them as part of the APC plan,” Gimba said.

Lagos State APC Public­ity Secretary in an inter­view said the APC is look­ing at a situation whereby at the appropriate time, the presidency will be zoned.

According to him, “It is a matter of conscience, morality and principle. It is a matter of gentlemanly agreement at the inception of this party, that the pres­idency should come to the South and zero down to the South-West.

“Whatever number of aspirants may come from the South-West for the presidency, I don’t think it is going to change anything about our expectations.”

When asked if zoning was part of APC Constitu­tion, Oladejo said, “There are a lot of things that you don’t necessarily have to put in the constitution of a party. But they are just things that you want to believe that based on cer­tain understanding, it will happen.

“I am not just having this conversation, a whole lot of prominent people in the party are in gov­ernment, even those old enough have been able to make the situation very clear that zoning is the right and appropriate thing to do.”

Speaking on the chanc­es of the south-east get­ting the APC presidential ticket, the Lagos APC spokesman explained that, “As a matter of fact, if PDP would want to lay any claim to integrity, fair play and justice, the PDP presidential ticket should be zoned to the South-East.

“Since 1999, the South- East has been very loy­al and committed to the course of the PDP. Until the likes of Governor Da­vid Umahi of Ebonyi State crossover to APC and de­spite that, we can safely conclude that South-East is a region for PDP.

“I think if you have certain expectations re­garding some high offices, it also behooves that we should play the right pol­itics to be able to earn it. Power is never served a la carte, you earn it by work­ing for it.

“So, if there is a party that should by right, con­sider the South-East, it should be PDP. You will agree with me that in the South-West ably led by Asi­waju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, we contributed greatly to wrestling the power from the then ruling party.

“So, we would expect as a matter of right that the presidential ticket should be zoned to the South West. We have earned it.”

https://independent.ng/2023-presidency-northern-power-blocs-seek-amicable-resolution-of-agitations/

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Bluntguy: 3:39pm On Feb 06, 2022
juxeakin:
The only amicable solution is to return presidency to the South
Not just South but South East.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Daytonbale: 3:48pm On Feb 06, 2022
F
Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Truthisunique2: 3:56pm On Feb 06, 2022
If ameachi emerges from APC with northern vp and Atiku from PDP with south east vp

One tribe would miss out completely

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by EmirGold(m): 4:00pm On Feb 06, 2022
Ok
Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Invictuse: 4:51pm On Feb 06, 2022
Even if your father wail to death n beyond that will not happen

Bluntguy:

3 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by gawu1: 5:12pm On Feb 06, 2022
Bluntguy:

PDP to South east and APC to South West.
It's time everybody rips what he or she sow.
Where you work is where you eat.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by cktheluckyman: 5:15pm On Feb 06, 2022
gawu1:

The NE has more stakes in the APC than the SW

How many votes did the SW contribute to the APC compared to the NE?

5 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by richiemcgold: 5:23pm On Feb 06, 2022
Truthisunique2:
If ameachi emerges from APC with northern vp and Atiku from PDP with south east vp

One tribe would miss out completely
Atiku again? are we still dreaming of another old man in power again?
some Nigerians sef.
BTW, is it too hard for apc to present people like osinbajo, amaechi or umahi? And pdp giving us vibrant men/women like okonjo, obi or adeshina?

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Bluntguy: 10:14pm On Feb 06, 2022
Invictuse:
Even if your father wail to death n beyond that will not happen

You are very stupid

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Triangles1(m): 5:33am On Feb 07, 2022
Okay.

I don't know why the north are too power drunk, they need to be educated because this is not kingship title moreover in time of investment and good relationship with foreign countries no northern president has achieved it like OBJ and Goodluck.

8 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Edoreborn: 5:33am On Feb 07, 2022
The fear of buhari's nepotism..

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Lordjiggs09(m): 5:35am On Feb 07, 2022
Alignments going on day and night.
Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by chukwuibuipob: 5:36am On Feb 07, 2022
sad
Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by fnep2smooth(m): 5:39am On Feb 07, 2022
Interesting post..

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Majesty2(m): 5:44am On Feb 07, 2022
BAT23 is like a moving train that nobody can stop, haters can kpai, i no care

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by ButterBurger: 5:52am On Feb 07, 2022
The tragicomedy season film is getting more interesting by the day.
Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Onogiede(m): 5:54am On Feb 07, 2022
Am proudly southern naija Nigerdelta, in this case I will support the motion which say power � should return to South East,..they are capable.

6 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by ceaser: 5:55am On Feb 07, 2022
They have started again, the Northerners I mean.

Okay, let me tell you something y'all might not know.

The Northerners patronised the US to support Buhari's candidacy in 2015. The war on BH had been taking tolls on the Nigerian military and its resources. The US was initially invited to help with the fight but later they withdrew when they found out that secret missions that will help the military campaign were being compromised by moles in the Nigerian military and in the political class.

So eventually the Jonathan government too decided to deny the US further participation in the war. The US who would have loved to continue because of what it stands to gain from Nigeria (the US does not offer to help if it won't get something greater in return). This angered the US government so they won't mind getting GEJ out. Unfortunately too, GEJ has been messing up with his dalliance with corruption in his circles (Diezani is an example) and refusing to yield to the cry of Nigerians to do something about it. So Nigerians were ready to kick him out. As Yorùbás will put it, GEJ became a case of somebody initially targeted for incineration but himself is helping the case more by using an inflammable oil (like petrol for instance) to bath.

In the build up to 2015 elections, major stakeholders in Nigeria including those from the South East and South West held a meeting in Kaduna. The meeting also saw the attendance of some northern governors and it was a forum to discuss the 2015 elections with representatives of the US government . The then governor of Borno was literarily crying and begging the US to support Buhari on the condition that they will give them (the US) free hand in the theatre of the war against BH and terrorism in Northern Nigeria, contrary to what GEJ did. Now that may not be enough incentive for the US, so the northern Nigeria representatives in the meeting threw in another juicy offer which the US may not be able to resist - the promise to cede part of the abundant gold deposits and other mineral resources in the mix to the US when the occupation of their troops in the prosecution of the war on BH takes place. Of course this was in line with the MO of the US in most scenarios (Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan etc) where the troops occupy the country and take over pillaging the rich resources of the place.

The US had no choice but to give Buhari the full weight of their support to win 2015 elections.

I guess they (the northern oligarchy) think they can use the same tactics again. But I doubt this will work this time because apparently Buhari failed to fulfill his own part of the promise the first time.

I was privileged to have this information. The authenticity was further buttressed when an investigative journalist also said the same thing.

You can listen to Godwin the Guru on Lagos Talks FM every weekdays at 9:30am. He's the journalist I'm talking about. When outside Lagos or overseas, I use internet radio app to tune in. It is usually a very revealing session with a lot of stupid and dirty secrets of Nigerian wicked rulership exposed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Chrislova(m): 6:12am On Feb 07, 2022
lets presidency return to SS while the president should appoint vp from the SE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Justiceleague1: 6:42am On Feb 07, 2022
gawu1:

Gawu 1 of Africa,it's reaps not rips...you are a real GAWU number 1 grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by Justiceleague1: 7:00am On Feb 07, 2022
ceaser:
They have started again, the Northerners I mean.

Okay, let me tell you something y'all might not know.

The Northerners patronised the US to support Buhari's candidacy in 2015. The war on BH had been taking tolls on the Nigerian military and its resources. The US was initially invited to help with the fight but later they withdrew when they found out that secret missions that will help the military campaign were being compromised by moles in the Nigerian military and in the political class.

So eventually the Jonathan government too decided to deny the US further participation in the war. The US who would have loved to continue because of what it stands to gain from Nigeria (the US does not offer to help if it won't get something greater in return). This angered the US government so they won't mind getting GEJ out. Unfortunately too, GEJ has been messing up with his dalliance with corruption in his circles (Diezani is an example) and refusing to yield to the cry of Nigerians to do something about it. So Nigerians were ready to kick him out. As Yorùbás will put it, GEJ became a case of somebody initially targeted for incineration but himself is helping the case more by using an inflammable oil (like petrol for instance) to bath.

In the build up to 2015 elections, major stakeholders in Nigeria including those from the South East and South West held a meeting in Kaduna. The meeting also saw the attendance of some northern governors and it was a forum to discuss the 2015 elections with representatives of the US government . The then governor of Borno was literarily crying and begging the US to support Buhari on the condition that they will give them (the US) free hand in the theatre of the war against BH and terrorism in Northern Nigeria, contrary to what GEJ did. Now that may not be enough incentive for the US, so the northern Nigeria representatives in the meeting threw in another juicy offer which the US may not be able to resist - the promise to cede part of the abundant gold deposits and other mineral resources in the mix to the US when the occupation of their troops in the prosecution of the war on BH takes place. Of course this was in line with the MO of the US in most scenarios (Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan etc) where the troops occupy the country and take over pillaging the rich resources of the place.

The US had no choice but to give Buhari the full weight of their support to win 2015 elections.

I guess they (the northern oligarchy) think they can use the same tactics again. But I doubt this will work this time because apparently Buhari failed to fulfill his own part of the promise the first time.

I was privileged to have this information. The authenticity was further buttressed when an investigative journalist also said the same thing.

You can listen to Godwin the Guru on Lagos Talks FM every weekdays at 9:30am. He's the journalist I'm talking about. When outside Lagos or overseas, I use internet radio app to tune in. It is usually a very revealing session with a lot of stupid and dirty secrets of Nigerian wicked rulership exposed.
There was nothing wrong with Diezani Allison Madueke..
The north simply feels this entitlement mentality that nobody else from other regions should enjoy the pecks of certain ministries..and they know how to cause instigation. What would they've said,what would Nigerians have said or done if Diezani Allison Madueke owned an oil well?! The cry would've been very louder...
But a former petroleum minister Rilwanu Lukeman who was also OPEC chairman owns an oil well and nobody is saying or doing anything about it.
It's ok with the northerners to own everything and now the south westerners (that's if you are a Muslim and loyal) but they get constipated when they perceive that someone from the SS or SE is "doing" too much. Stella Oduah, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Diezani Allison Madueke,are perfect examples.
They also had their gaze of Ndudi Okereke or so,former chairman,NSE and Arunma Otteh but God saved them. God also saved justice Mary Odilli,as they also hard bad plans for her as regards that invasion they are trying to cover up.
Kemi Adeosun got unlucky cos she stepped on "their" toes by doing her job..
The Zainab woman of NPA,inspite of all Amaechi exposed about her, nobody said anything! But if she was from the south east or SS,you people would've been screaming upandan.....you got a long way to go

5 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by bonbay: 12:02pm On Feb 07, 2022
What has North East produced since 1999. South East is better
Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by ceaser: 6:14pm On Feb 07, 2022
Justiceleague1:

There was nothing wrong with Diezani Allison Madueke..
The north simply feels this entitlement mentality that nobody else from other regions should enjoy the pecks of certain ministries..and they know how to cause instigation. What would they've said,what would Nigerians have said or done if Diezani Allison Madueke owned an oil well?! The cry would've been very louder...
But a former petroleum minister Rilwanu Lukeman who was also OPEC chairman owns an oil well and nobody is saying or doing anything about it.
It's ok with the northerners to own everything and now the south westerners (that's if you are a Muslim and loyal) but they get constipated when they perceive that someone from the SS or SE is "doing" too much. Stella Oduah, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Diezani Allison Madueke,are perfect examples.
They also had their gaze of Ndudi Okereke or so,former chairman,NSE and Arunma Otteh but God saved them. God also saved justice Mary Odilli,as they also hard bad plans for her as regards that invasion they are trying to cover up.
Kemi Adeosun got unlucky cos she stepped on "their" toes by doing her job..
The Zainab woman of NPA,inspite of all Amaechi exposed about her, nobody said anything! But if she was from the south east or SS,you people would've been screaming upandan.....you got a long way to go

There was a lot wrong with DAM, and there was a lot of wrong for GEJ to throway face when Nigerians were calling his attention to it.

Justifying sleaze among my people when they hold power because some northern id10ts do it and the northern leaders look away is not a way to build a cosmopolitan society which engenders justice and equity and is fair to all and sundry.

Once GEJ is seen to axe his own peeps that has shown waywardness, I'm sure no one will cry foul when he decides to axe any northerner that as much as try to mismanage a kobo, including divesting those owning oil Wells of their ownership. All he needed to do was lobby for the legislation and Nigerians will put their weights behind him. Doing the opposite is nepotism which is a form of corruption. It is sadly what Buhari is good and adept at, making him much worse than GEJ that he replaced.

OBJ was about the only democratic leader in recent times that has refrained from that bug of nepotism and even though he has his own terrible rulership weaknesses, he excelled on that aspect of trying to punish his own when they err. Afolabi of the national identity card fraud is an example. The way OBJ dealt with the then police chief also made every junior officer to sit tight. Yar'Adua too displayed some traits of equity, but time was not on his side so we may not fully know how he would have held on to that trait.
Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by gawu1: 8:28pm On Feb 08, 2022
Justiceleague1:

Gawu 1 of Africa,it's reaps not rips...you are a real GAWU number 1 grin grin grin
You should know when typo error occurs. Besides, I think you are the only one who can always be above mistakes. cool
Anyway, thanks for drawing my attention to it.
Any other thing? tongue
Re: 2023 Presidency: Northern Power Blocs Seek Amicable Resolution Of Agitations by gawu1: 9:53pm On Feb 08, 2022
Justiceleague1:

Justice league1 indeed you are! cool
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

"The two judges has have been recommended for appointment as justices of the Supreme Court by the National Judicial Council"

It is "The two judges have..." but not "The two judges has..."

(1) (Reply)

The Main Reason For The Emergence Of Boko-haram / Bad Blood Spills As APC Presidential Race Turns Into Two-horse Race / Stop This Tribalism Nonsense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.