Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? (17687 Views)

Humble Sadio Mane Helps Offload Senegal Team Bus, Teammates Walk Off (Photos) / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by jagorinho: 8:41am On Feb 07, 2022
Golden generation without a trophy is not golden, so I go with the current Senegalese team.......simple equation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by mayormick(m): 8:41am On Feb 07, 2022
The 2002 squad for me, and that is even a general thing about most teams. We have fighters and complete footballers then not the bunch we have now. I look at most teams in this Afcon compare to then, I concluded football is finally gone. There is no golden generation of any team we can have now that will be compare to golden generations of then. Let us just imagine Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Morocco and Egypt of then and we will conclude the difference is clear, I mean very clear

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by atheistandproud(m): 8:42am On Feb 07, 2022
Slayar:
Anyone who says this team is better than 2002 team is probably under 20yrs old.

No cap

I quarrelled with my mom in January of 2002 to watch that semifinal with Senegal. It was hosted in Mali.

I shouted myself hoarse when Aghahowa equalized only for us to concede from a late corner. I was almost 10 at the time.

That match hurt but Senegal deserved to win. They fought harder plus it was revenge for us beating them in 2000.

They went on to do very well at the WC, na Turkey wayo na remove them if I remember correctly.

El Hadji Diouf, Henri Camara, Khalilou Fadiga and Toni Sylva set better pass this team abeg bar Mane and Mendy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by noblefuwad(m): 8:43am On Feb 07, 2022
The 2002 team is far better than this present squad

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by madridguy(m): 8:44am On Feb 07, 2022
Only a kid will be asking this.

Senegal 2002 squad na bomb.

2 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 8:44am On Feb 07, 2022
Slayar:

I am over 40 and this present team is better ... they have better technical ability and play for better clubs compare to the 2002 team... 2002 team only got to one afcon final ... this present team have played back to back finals and cud still even win it next year.... they dominated every single team they played ...2002 team cudnt...

The best ever player 2002 had was El haj Diouf who coincidentally also played for Liverpool.... late Houllier said that was his worst signing ever... El haj Diouf is no whr close to mane

3 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Childofaking: 8:45am On Feb 07, 2022
This team just won the nations cup and they were in the final 2 years ago and they still have the world cup.
This team has already surpassed the 2002 team's performance and and most likely to do much more.

The 2002 team was good but has nothing to show for it. winning France is not a medal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by na2016: 8:45am On Feb 07, 2022
Joezinho:
Truth is, you can't compare both. The 2002 set were warriors. I still remember our games vs Senegal in 2000 and 2002. Those games were wars. They beat France and a very good Swedish team. They should have won the AFCON in 2002 if not for PK and luck saving Cameroon. They were far better than this present set.

The 2002 set was better. Fadiga, Cisse, Papa Diop, Salif Diao, El Hadji, Tony Sylva, This present set is kinda overrated bar Mane, Koulibaly, Mendy... What this Senegal team is missing is a Mikel or Fadiga type midfield controller. That's the missing piece.

OP take this comment, the 2002 generation was a delight to watch oo., their match against Naija was very entertaining.

3 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:46am On Feb 07, 2022
Senegal and Egypt are going to meet in the world cup play off. It's too early to compare this team that are yet to qualify to the 2022 world cup to the 2002 squad. I will reserve my comment till they qualify for the world cup.
For now the 2002 squad is far better
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by atheistandproud(m): 8:47am On Feb 07, 2022
na2016:

OP take this comment, the 2002 generation was a delight to watch oo., their match against Naija was very entertaining.

That match pain me. I never celebrate Aghahowa equalizer finish na we go concede late corner. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Echara: 8:51am On Feb 07, 2022
Slayar:

That simply means you don't understand how to make comparisons.

I watched the 2002 team very well. And I've watched this present team. Pitch this team against the 2002 team, this team will beat the 2002 team twice in three rounds of matches.

Moreover, this team have in the afcon final back to back and won one.

The 2022 team is better.

2 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by checkoutEnugu: 8:53am On Feb 07, 2022
Hmm.. At this moment, I want to say even Senegalese people know the answer to this.
That name Alhaji diouf . That sums it all. The guy is a king in Senegal.
That 2002 Senegal squad is the greatest African team ever put together . Far ahead of Nigerias 1994 world cup team or camerons 1990 world cup team.
What those boys did for Africa, can or may never be repeated. Wow.
Even mane knows he cannot lace their boots. He will have to dig deeper to even be considered a national treasure in Senegal. Those 2002 boys are national treasures.
If u didnt watch them growing up, u have missed a whole lot.

I understand these crop won nations cup but anybody can win nations cup just like 2013 Nigerian team won it but wasnt a great squad.
I rest my pen

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Eastlink(m): 8:53am On Feb 07, 2022
The 2002 Senegalese football team was a special breed. I could remember our rivalry with them. It was war. They beat us in the 2002 Nations cup to qualify for the final where they met Cameroon. Aghahowa came to our rescue in 2004 Nations Cup Quarter final I suppose and Yakubu during our third place match with them in 2006.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Echara: 8:55am On Feb 07, 2022
TOPCRUISE:
Senegal and Egypt are going to meet in the world cup play off. It's too early to compare this team that are yet to qualify to the 2022 world cup to the 2002 squad. I will reserve my comment till they qualify for the world cup.
For now the 2002 squad is far better

"Far better" with nothing to show. You can't be better than someone that won something, while you won nothing.

Football is measured by winning.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by checkoutEnugu: 8:59am On Feb 07, 2022
Echara:

"Far better" with nothing to show. You can't be better than someone that won something, while you won nothing.

Football is measured by winning.

Pls just shut up
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Eastlink(m): 8:59am On Feb 07, 2022
Echara:

That simply means you don't understand how to make comparisons.

I watched the 2002 team very well. And I've watched this present team. Pitch this team against the 2002 team, this team will beat the 2002 team twice in three rounds of matches.

Moreover, this team have in the afcon final back to back and won one.

The 2022 team is better.
Which team will beat the 2002 team? This team can’t lace the 2002 Senegal team’s boots. Had this team met tougher opponents from the Quarter-Finals to the Finals them for capitulate. What are they playing? Besides Mane, Koulibaly and Mendy, the rest players are average.

2 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by omenkaLives(m): 8:59am On Feb 07, 2022
Think I'd give it to '02. That team was deadly.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by IamV: 9:02am On Feb 07, 2022
Joezinho:
Truth is, you can't compare both. The 2002 set were warriors. I still remember our games vs Senegal in 2000 and 2002. Those games were wars. They beat France and a very good Swedish team. They should have won the AFCON in 2002 if not for PK and luck saving Cameroon. They were far better than this present set.

The 2002 set was better. Fadiga, Cisse, Papa Diop, Salif Diao, El Hadji, Tony Sylva, This present set is kinda overrated bar Mane, Koulibaly, Mendy... What this Senegal team is missing is a Mikel or Fadiga type midfield controller. That's the missing piece.

I don't agree with you that the missing piece of this Senegal team is a midfield controller.
What this team is actually missing is a "no 10".
This team need a creative spark.
A kind of payet ,ozil or Bruno Fernandes kinda player(s).
Check out there stable midfield trio,which consist on kouyate,Mendy and Gueye.
All this guys are basically defensive midfielders.
Those destroyer kinda player,with decent passing ability,but what's common among the three is that they don't have that creativity in them.
You wonder why their right back and left back overlaps ? basically playing as wing backs ? Especially that ciss guy, it's to offer creativity to the final third,which the midfielders can't.

Just introduce an out and out "no 10" in this Senegal team,and see wonders.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:03am On Feb 07, 2022
I will go for the 2002 team.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Nobody: 9:04am On Feb 07, 2022
HIGHESTPOPORI:
Why not, any team can beat any team.Senegal can beat France
any team can beat any team? What can you say of Nigeria Vs Argentina at the world cup?
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by tonyshine01: 9:05am On Feb 07, 2022
A team that is Robust, Tanacious, Rugged, Resilient, Strong, Tactical, Technical, with Great Finesse and unyielding.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Whobedatte(m): 9:05am On Feb 07, 2022
The team of 2002 was a beast .
Shocked defending champions France in world cup opener and became the second African country to reach the Q/F of a world cup tournament.
They lost to Cameroon in 2002 via penalties ,remember that Cameroon squad was the best ever assembled african team of all time

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Echara: 9:06am On Feb 07, 2022
madridguy:
Only a kid will be asking this.

Senegal 2002 squad na bomb.

Only a football kid can actually say the bolded.

2022 team is better in everything. They're technically better. They have better players playing in better teams. They have FIFA world best goal keeper. They have first class rated defender. They have league and champions League winners. They have golden boot winner.

They have dominated every team they've played against. 2002 team didn't dominate that way.

They have appeared in two AFCON final back to back, and won one.

2 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:08am On Feb 07, 2022
The 2002 squad was obviously the golden age of Senegalese football.

These present squad is great as well, and has been consistent on the continent. However, to be able to steal the show from the 2002 squad, this current squad needs to take their consistency to the world stage as well.

But more noteworthy is how Senegal has really grown to be a force to reckon with in African football.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by CorperKola: 9:11am On Feb 07, 2022
One get trophy, one no get, you are still askong which one is beta?
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by greypencils: 9:14am On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

How can u say 2002 were far better than this present team ?? How many finals did they play?? This present team have played back to back finals and won one
Against who and who in Africa? Who are the current stars in Africa? Salah, Mane, Mahrez, Auba, Zaha. Now compare them to the stars in 2002
Etoo, Mboma, Kanu, Okocha, Diouf. I think 2002, there was stiffer competition otherwise they would have won something.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Echara: 9:15am On Feb 07, 2022
Eastlink:
Which team will beat the 2002 team? [b]This team can’t lace the 2002 Senegal team’s boots. [/b]Had this team met tougher opponents from the Quarter-Finals to the Finals them for capitulate. What are they playing? Besides Mane, Koulibaly and Mendy, the rest players are average.

2022 team is better in everything. They're technically better. They have better players playing in better teams. They have FIFA world best goal keeper. They have first class rated defender. They have league and champions League winners. They have golden boot winner.

They have dominated every team they've played against. 2002 team didn't dominate that way.

They have appeared in two AFCON final back to back, and won one.

It's actually the 2002 team that cannot lace the 2022 team boot.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by emmykk(m): 9:16am On Feb 07, 2022
Skooltynz:
cool
Na the generation wey carry cup be golden generation up senegal.

Meanwhile yabatech post utme and partime form still available, those who brought the form from us December last year they all made the first list you will see and believe yourself,the form closes February 14th,if interested please click the link below to get all info you need..

https://www.nairaland.com/6854546/yabatech-post-utme-aspirants-2020

Will this generation beat France in world cup.

There was a Senegal team that got to world cup semi final...
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Alcoron: 9:16am On Feb 07, 2022
Both are golden generations, a nation can have multiple golden generations. You should be asking which of the golden generations is superior?
The Cameroon 2021 generation is the superior team with the result orientation logic of football, even if 2002 team was better.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by gsegun43: 9:18am On Feb 07, 2022
robosky02:
Which Senegalese team deserve the name Golden generation 2002 world cup team or 2021AFCON winning Team?

1. The 2002 team was the team that shock the world when the defeated the reigning world champions France at the opening game of the Korea/Japan 2002 world cup.
The team boost of the like of
Aliou CISSE (the current coach), El Hadji DIOUF, etc

Full squard:Ferdinand COLY, Khalilou FADIGA, Pape Bouba DIOP, Pape Malick DIOP, Lamine DIATTA, Torwart Tony SYLVA; vordere Reihe v.lks.: Omar DAF, El Hadji DIOUF, Moussa NDIAYE, Salif DIAO, Aliou CISSE

2 the 2021 team that just won the AFCON in Cameroon. Defeating Egypt in the finals on penalties and giving Senegal their first AFCON title this year.
The team have the likes of
Edouard Mendy;Kalidou Koulibaly ,Sadio Mane,

Full Squard: Edouard Mendy; Bouna Sarr, Kalidou Koulibaly, Abdou Diallo, Saliou Ciss; Pape Matar Sarr, Idrissa Gueye, Cheikhou Kouyate, Keita Balde; Sadio Mane, Boulaye Dia.

Source: Robosky02

The 2002 team for me ooo.

They beat Nigeria at the semi finals of afcon (Mali 2002), and reached the quarter finals of the world cup, in fact they lost unluckily by a lone goal to Turkey after extra time (golden goal).
I remember those guys wella, na that Fadiga dem accuse of stealing in a Japanese supermarket then. How time flies.

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goal Of The Tournament: Vote For Asisat Oshoala / Ighalo Wins West Asia Player Of The Month Award / Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.