Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,021 members, 7,828,590 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? (17683 Views)

Humble Sadio Mane Helps Offload Senegal Team Bus, Teammates Walk Off (Photos) / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by cooljude(m): 10:59am On Feb 07, 2022
okololo:
The 2002 squad of course. Can this 2021 team beat France?

Did 2002 Team win an AFCON....

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by AlphaT1(m): 11:01am On Feb 07, 2022
okololo:
The 2002 squad of course. Can this 2021 team beat France?
No be by who you beat, na wetin you win? Your trophy is the only evidence of your greatness!

2 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Westchester(m): 11:01am On Feb 07, 2022
No that match was played around 12 in the afternoon, I can remember coming back from school that Friday afternoon because we do close early on Fridays. I was 10 that year and the memories still fresh in my mind

beejay85:

The Senegalese team of 2002 was a joy to watch especially during the world cup..
Their match with France in d 2002 world cup was played around 9am... I was to choose between watching the match and writing my further maths exam that morn... Since FM was an option, I opted for d match....and I was glad I did grin
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Westchester(m): 11:04am On Feb 07, 2022
Senegal that couldn't win an average Poland and Japanese team in the 2018 world cup
Do you think this current team would win France, Uruguay, Denmark and Sweden squad of 2002? Held Turkey until extra time when they dubiously won with golden goal rule

Kingcalls:

Which Diuof ?? Sane is the greatest player to ever play the game from Senegal.. who be Diouf compared to sane .... even in Liverpool , sanes achievement dwarfs dioufs ... what did Diouf win for Senegal... sane don carry them enter back to back finals come win one .... Diouf achievement was being the first Senegalese to win the African player of the year... sane will still win another... Diouf never even won player of the tournament.... Senegal presently have the best keeper in world football... they have 3 champions league winners in their team ... their 2 central backs play for PSG and Napoli ...haba
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Westchester(m): 11:07am On Feb 07, 2022
Tony Sylva was formidable, miles ahead of this over hyped Mendy

cry
gsegun43:

Well I believe if you watch those games you will not be typing this, what is exceptional about this team, you can only talk about their individual achievement and not as a team. Talking of overrated Mendy that will rush out and rush back without thinking? Go and watch that Tony Sylva. Their is difference between individual brilliance and collective team works, like some wrote up there, in the 2002 team they have warriors and I mean it.

grin

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Carlyboi(m): 11:07am On Feb 07, 2022
Westchester:
No that match was played around 12 in the afternoon, I can remember coming back from school that Friday afternoon because we do close early on Fridays. I was 10 that year and the memories still fresh in my mind

Yeah you’re correct I think the poster was referring to Nigeria vs Sweden match lol I think I had a common entrance exam that day I watched aghahowa score stepped out only to realize we later lost 2-1 to the Swedes courtesy of the muthafucking henrik Larsson if we got that win we surely would have advance alongside England!
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by phemmyfour: 11:09am On Feb 07, 2022
robosky02:
Which Senegalese team deserve the name Golden generation 2002 world cup team or 2021AFCON winning Team?

1. The 2002 team was the team that shock the world when the defeated the reigning world champions France at the opening game of the Korea/Japan 2002 world cup.
The team boost of the like of
Aliou CISSE (the current coach), El Hadji DIOUF, etc

Full squard:Ferdinand COLY, Khalilou FADIGA, Pape Bouba DIOP, Pape Malick DIOP, Lamine DIATTA, Torwart Tony SYLVA; vordere Reihe v.lks.: Omar DAF, El Hadji DIOUF, Moussa NDIAYE, Salif DIAO, Aliou CISSE

2 the 2021 team that just won the AFCON in Cameroon. Defeating Egypt in the finals on penalties and giving Senegal their first AFCON title this year.
The team have the likes of
Edouard Mendy;Kalidou Koulibaly ,Sadio Mane,

Full Squard: Edouard Mendy; Bouna Sarr, Kalidou Koulibaly, Abdou Diallo, Saliou Ciss; Pape Matar Sarr, Idrissa Gueye, Cheikhou Kouyate, Keita Balde; Sadio Mane, Boulaye Dia.

Source: Robosky02
Afcon title and silver 2019
Most ranked African team
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 11:10am On Feb 07, 2022
Westchester:
Senegal that couldn't win an average Poland and Japanese team in the 2018 world cup
Do you think this current team would win France, Uruguay, Denmark and Sweden squad of 2002? Held Turkey until extra time when they dubiously won with golden goal rule

And what happened after 2002... u guys fail to understand that Europe has really improved in football...do u think 2002 team will defeat this present Polish team .... I guess what happened to France was the curse of winners of the previous World cup messing up trying to defend their cup...happened to Spain and Germany... in 2002 those teams u mentioned were ordinary abeg , apart from France... afterall Ghana also reached the quarters in their first world cup...its called beginners luck ...if not for carelessness, Nigeria sef for play quarters for world cup
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Westchester(m): 11:11am On Feb 07, 2022
Yes that Sweden vs Nigeria match was played on a Tuesday morning, if you see the way my uncle I was living with at that time was driving like James Bond so he can drop us off to school so he can go and watch the match eh shocked
We were in morning assembly when I heard goal and was gutted to later hear we losed cry

Carlyboi:

Yeah you’re correct I think the poster was referring to Nigeria vs Sweden match lol I think I had a common entrance exam that day I watched aghahowa score stepped out only to realize we later lost 2-1 to the Swedes courtesy of the muthafucking henrik Larsson if we got that win we surely would have advance alongside England!
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by slenderBeam1: 11:12am On Feb 07, 2022
Sylva , Ajé goalkeeper
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Westchester(m): 11:15am On Feb 07, 2022
Ordinary?
Are you talking about the Denmark that destroyed us in 1998 world cup or the Sweden that beat us in group stage in 2002?
Dude football was more harder that time compared to this times where players are pampered and spoonfed

Kingcalls:

And what happened after 2002... u guys fail to understand that Europe has really improved in football...do u think 2002 team will defeat this present Polish team .... I guess what happened to France was the curse of winners of the previous World cup messing up trying to defend their cup...happened to Spain and Germany... in 2002 those teams u mentioned were ordinary abeg , apart from France... afterall Ghana also reached the quarters in their first world cup...its called beginners luck ...if not for carelessness, Nigeria sef for play quarters for world cup
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Carlyboi(m): 11:16am On Feb 07, 2022
If you’re an ardent football fan and you know ball like they say in local parlance then you won’t ever compare the 2002 Senegalese team to this 2022 team quality of football and competitiveness has really dropped over the years...world football is filled with loads of below average players,inconsistent average players,and a small pool of geniuses and exceptional ones.

Lastly a golden generation doesn’t necessarily mean the generation that won a trophy...it’s a generation of great and quality players who come together to form a formidable team...the golden generation of Ivorian football never won the nations cup too neither the golden generation of the Dutch win the fifa World Cup,sometimes it’s a competition against different golden generations and luckier generation gets to win the trophy and sometimes football throws in a surprise,Denmark 1992 euros,Greece in Euro 2004,Zambia in 2012 afcon,Chile in Copa 2015,even the golden Portuguese generation couldn’t even win the Euros!

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Boss469(m): 11:17am On Feb 07, 2022
chamboy:
The have more World Class Players now.

Mention four
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by robosky02(m): 11:18am On Feb 07, 2022
Watch the moment the 2002 team silenced the reigning world champions France

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaBkN-Dyx58
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Majesty33(m): 11:18am On Feb 07, 2022
For me, it's the 2002 team that played a very strong super Eagles, and Cameroon side filled with stars, went to the world up and took the world by storm getting straight to quatre finals and losing to a well organised Turkish side.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by robosky02(m): 11:20am On Feb 07, 2022
chamboy:
The have more World Class Players now.

Not current

They only have about 2 or 3 now

But then hmmm

El haji fiof

Henry Canada

Cisse the current coach

Kalilau Fadiga

And more
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Carlyboi(m): 11:20am On Feb 07, 2022
[quote author=Westchester post=110030694]Yes that Sweden vs Nigeria match was played on a Tuesday morning, if you see the way my uncle I was living with at that time was driving like James Bond so he can drop us off to school so he can go and watch the match eh shocked
We were in morning assembly when I heard goal and was gutted to later hear we losed cry

I saw that aghahowa goal assisted by Joseph hobo it was mad cross from that RB position and saw Julius do is trademark somersault celebration i left the house afterwards...so didn’t watch us lose the match.

Back then Julius Aghahowa was so reliable for us you can always count on dude to get a goal aghawonder I tell you!
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 11:22am On Feb 07, 2022
checkoutEnugu:

That's the issue. This present Senegal players are overfed and hype jobs. They couldn't even score more than 1 goal each in all their matches and failed to score in 2 back to back finals...
That their players play for gig clubs is a reason they should walk through local based Egypt.

2002 squad were all average players with big heart. Average clubs as at then and nobody even gave them a chance of anything. That's when greatness comes. They weren't great but together, they not only defeated greater teams but they achieved greatness.

Then y dint they win a cup?? This team have proved they are better... they will also tell u that Brazil 82 squad was the best assembled squad in Brazil history but the 1970 squad was labelled the best cos it was effective
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by yemex04(m): 11:28am On Feb 07, 2022
HappyCanadian:
I go with 2002.. majority of them were superstars but in this present team is Mane, Ismaila Sarr and Mendy

How were they Superstars? If at all they were superstars, they became one after their famous win after france.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by 2nattie(m): 11:28am On Feb 07, 2022
Saw a video about a prophesy concerning the just concluded AFCON. The prophet prophesied Egypt would win. In fact he made predictions about the tournament that came to pass but he got this one wrong
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 11:29am On Feb 07, 2022
Westchester:
Ordinary?
Are you talking about the Denmark that destroyed us in 1998 world cup or the Sweden that beat us in group stage in 2002?
Dude football was more harder that time compared to this times where players are pampered and spoonfed

Wait ooo... so u think say Nigeria follow?? What did Denmark achieve after that ... was has Sweden even achieved in world cup... we never had a chance against Denmark cos Denmark had a golden generation that were coming to its end after winning the Euros 6 yrs b4 that world cup.... just that Nigerians were not as enlightened back then as now... most of those players had retired b4 2002 world cup...or u think say Senegal 2002 squad go defeat 98 Denmark that had players like the Laudrup brothers , sand , Schmeichel , Helveg... we underrated a very good squad because we were already anticipating playing Brazil in the quarters...
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 11:34am On Feb 07, 2022
gsegun43:

Well I believe if you watch those games you will not be typing this, what is exceptional about this team, you can only talk about their individual achievement and not as a team. Talking of overrated Mendy that will rush out and rush back without thinking? Go and watch that Tony Sylva. Their is difference between individual brilliance and collective team works, like some wrote up there, in the 2002 team they have warriors and I mean it.

grin

I watched Senegal grow ... especially when they surprised Nigeria in lagos 2000 in the quarters tanks to Aghawonder and Amunike that came in and scored the winner....after 2002 they went into obscurity... they only shined for 3 yrs and they gased out without winning anything
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by egojeny1(f): 11:41am On Feb 07, 2022
Hmm, the fear of El Haji Diof. Abeg '02 for me.

Just this morning I asked my husband about him. That guy was a beast, a real superstar.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Whobedatte(m): 11:48am On Feb 07, 2022
Starzo:

Then what will you call the Egyptian team that won the nation's cup three times in a row?
That Cameroon team won the Afcon two times in a row , won the Olympics tournament in 2000 and went all the way to the confederations cup final narrowly losing to France
The cameroo n team edges it this time
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 11:52am On Feb 07, 2022
DukeNija:

Tell me you’re an indomie generation without telling me you’re an indomie generation.

I started watching football long b4 u started .... so I'm in best position to tell u... I watched Argentina loose to Germany 1.0 in Italian 90 live
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Westchester(m): 11:55am On Feb 07, 2022
But that Denmark's 2002 team still had formidable players like Tommasson, Sand, Graveson etc
If you have time just go on YouTube and watch that Senegalese 2002 team again, you'd think they were prime German team

Kingcalls:

Wait ooo... so u think say Nigeria follow?? What did Denmark achieve after that ... was has Sweden even achieved in world cup... we never had a chance against Denmark cos Denmark had a golden generation that were coming to its end after winning the Euros 6 yrs b4 that world cup.... just that Nigerians were not as enlightened back then as now... most of those players had retired b4 2002 world cup...or u think say Senegal 2002 squad go defeat 98 Denmark that had players like the Laudrup brothers , sand , Schmeichel , Helveg... we underrated a very good squad because we were already anticipating playing Brazil in the quarters...

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by stanisbaratheon: 11:56am On Feb 07, 2022
The 2002 squad was feared. superstars everywhere in that squad.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 12:13pm On Feb 07, 2022
Westchester:
But that Denmark's 2002 team still had formidable players like Tommasson, Sand, Graveson etc
If you have time just go on YouTube and watch that Senegalese 2002 team again, you'd think they were prime German team

Sand had finished that time na ... tommasson was just average, so as graveson .... Denmark golden squad was in the 90s , even their present squad thats very good cant measure up to that 90s squad... Schmeichel alone was like the best goalie in football ... in 92 , he deserved to win balon d'or despite guiding Denmark to its only Trophy till date ..but they gave van Basten instead...no b today balon dor start corruption
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by DukeNija(m): 12:14pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

I started watching football long b4 u started .... so I'm in best position to tell u... I watched Argentina loose to Germany 1.0 in Italian 90 live

This further casts aspersions on your sense of judgment if you think this squad bests the 2002 golden generation. Lol
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 12:17pm On Feb 07, 2022
Carlyboi:
If you’re an ardent football fan and you know ball like they say in local parlance then you won’t ever compare the 2002 Senegalese team to this 2022 team quality of football and competitiveness has really dropped over the years...world football is filled with loads of below average players,inconsistent average players,and a small pool of geniuses and exceptional ones.

Lastly a golden generation doesn’t necessarily mean the generation that won a trophy...it’s a generation of great and quality players who come together to form a formidable team...the golden generation of Ivorian football never won the nations cup too neither the golden generation of the Dutch win the fifa World Cup,sometimes it’s a competition against different golden generations and luckier generation gets to win the trophy and sometimes football throws in a surprise,Denmark 1992 euros,Greece in Euro 2004,Zambia in 2012 afcon,Chile in Copa 2015,even the golden Portuguese generation couldn’t even win the Euros!

U were 10 yrs old ...u knew nothing about football.... I was in university then ....go back and ask that ur uncle this same question...he will laugh at u

This is the real Senegalese golden generation.... man to man , this Senegalese team will wipe 2002

Its like u don't know how deadly mane is ...do u know ishmaila sarr is Watford deadliest player and man u will b coming for him in the summer.... they have the best goal keeper In world football presently...no African keeper has ever been nominated, talkless of winning it... coulibaly is amongst the best defenders in world football and is valued at about 100m Euros ... chlesea are going for him once Rudiger leaves... Gana and Diallo are psg players ...onfact 3 different players have won champions league in this team ...
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 12:25pm On Feb 07, 2022
DukeNija:

This further casts aspersions on your sense of judgment if you think this squad bests the 2002 golden generation. Lol

Who made 2002 golden generation.... their only achievement was that they brought senegal to limelight and only tried for 3 yrs ... after 2002 , they died off .... this senegal will flog super eagles
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by robosky02(m): 1:00pm On Feb 07, 2022
stanisbaratheon:
The 2002 squad was feared. superstars everywhere in that squad.

You sabi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goal Of The Tournament: Vote For Asisat Oshoala / Ighalo Wins West Asia Player Of The Month Award / Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.