Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power (7794 Views)

It Will Amount To Blasphemy If Nigerians Reject Tinubu – Yuguda / Seyi Makinde: You Cannot Use Religious Sentiments to Divide Oyo Residents / PDP To Buhari, APC: “You Have Betrayed Almajirai After Using Them To Get Power” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:37pm On Feb 07, 2022
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has advised Nigerians to reject politicians trying to use “sectional sentiments” to take power.

The vice president gave the advice while speaking at the inaugural conference of APC Professional Forum themed “The Role of Professionals in Politics and National Building” held at the Old Banquet Hall of the State House, Abuja, on Monday.

He said professionals who are politicians must stand out as people acquainted with an assessment based on their achievements and used to making competence as the first means of showcasing their acumen.

He said there was no point to have professionals in politics if they were driven by ethnic, religious and other parochial considerations, stressing that “the whole point of professionalism is that you are defined by merit, you are defined by your professional acumen.”

Osinbajo stressed the need for all stakeholders to come to the realisation that it was no longer sustainable to keep finding individual solutions to collective challenges.

He said: “Let me conclude with the following thoughts for further consideration. The usefulness of professionals in politics is that you have people who are used to being assessed on the basis of their own achievements, who are unafraid to make competence the first advertorial of their acumen. In other words, professionals emphasize the role of merit in public life.

“So, one of the major advantages to our communities of having professionals in politics is lost if we do not recognise our role as merit driven persons must be to fight the temptation of ethnic, religious and other parochial considerations in making crucial decisions for the development of our nation.

“And I just emphasise that there is no point having professionals in politics if these professionals are driven by ethnic, religious and other parochial considerations because the whole point of professionalism is that you are defined by merit, you are defined by your professional acumen.

“Nobody would place their lives in the hands of an incompetent doctor because they share the same faith or continue to patronize a dangerously inept mechanic because they belong to the same tribe. If someone told me, for example, that the pilot who is to fly the plane that I’m to go in is not a very good pilot, but he’s from Ikenne, my hometown, I certainly won’t go in that plane. So, in the same way, we must especially refuse to be swayed by those whose sole argument for power is an appeal to sectional sentiments. We must resist it. And we must say no to it, because otherwise, we fail in our professional calling.

“So, let me again commend the APC Professionals Forum for starting this important conversation. And I hope we will be able to mainstream some of the innovative ideas and some of the very important suggestions that are made here in our party and also in our governments across the nation.”

While fielding questions, the senator representing Nasarawa Central, Umaru Tanko Al-Makura, efforts would be made to make people considering politics a profession lose their job.

The APC national chairmanship aspirant expressed belief that “this is the beginning of our winning streak in 2023” as the professionals with competences and values trying to come together and take interest in politics, saying “we will be able to sustain all the gains this administration has made”.

https://dailytrust.com/osinbajo-asks-nigerians-to-reject-politicians-using-sentiments-to-get-power

3 Likes

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Wawelexy(m): 8:39pm On Feb 07, 2022
Is he referring to the north here?

1 Like

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by insidelife22(m): 8:40pm On Feb 07, 2022
the same sentiments that were used to put you and your principal in power?

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by johnmartus(m): 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2022
If that's the case no igbo man will elect as Nigeria president.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2022
the VP is right,and he should tell his other counterparts

3 Likes

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by slivertongue: 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2022
Advice taken.

Buhari and his supporters are rejected.

Thanks Prof

9 Likes

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by adekolaelect(m): 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2022
Thank you sir. Pls let them know too that election can never be won on Media.
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Truthisunique2: 8:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
You are right

Without sentiment you are a failure just like your boss because it was a joint ticket yet some want to use sentiment in accessing it

9 Likes

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Truthisunique2: 8:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
What happened to the economic team buhari put you in place of till 2023?

You have played a role in crippling our economy but want us to judge you with pastor sentiment

19 Likes

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Nonexisting: 8:50pm On Feb 07, 2022
"If someone told me, for example, that the pilot who is to fly the plane that I’m to go in is not a very good pilot, but he’s from Ikenne, my hometown, I certainly won’t go in that plane." Speak louder. They will never learn. Daura people learnt the hard way so will a lot of others.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by helinues: 8:51pm On Feb 07, 2022
Toh
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by helinues: 8:53pm On Feb 07, 2022
Truthisunique2:

You have played a role in crippling our economy but want us to judge you with pastor sentiment

The headline should have been

Accept Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power - Osinabjo To Nigerians

That could have made your day more splendid

1 Like

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by inoki247: 8:54pm On Feb 07, 2022
Motivational speaker murasi...
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Truthisunique2: 9:04pm On Feb 07, 2022
helinues:

The headline should have been

That could have made your day more splendid
Yoruba Muslim, I don't play 2 face game

If you want to engage me come forward, not when I face you, you start crying you don't take politics serious

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by TheRareGem1(f): 9:08pm On Feb 07, 2022
That's is why we need selfless leader like you, VP

1 Like

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Rastaramsey(m): 9:11pm On Feb 07, 2022
WTF man grin
This one dey use scope dey hint say we wan do president......
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Shooyie: 9:13pm On Feb 07, 2022
“And I just emphasise that there is no point having professionals in politics if these professionals are driven by ethnic, religious and other parochial considerations because the whole point of professionalism is that you are defined by merit, you are defined by your professional acumen"
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by okefranci: 9:27pm On Feb 07, 2022
kiss
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by JOemmy(m): 11:50pm On Feb 07, 2022
Hypocrite coming from someone who is a beneficiary of ethnic and religious politics hope he is not indirectly referring to his two masters buhari and tinibu?

9 Likes

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by SpatialKing(m): 2:12am On Feb 08, 2022
Coming for someone who go into the corridor of power through sentiments

5 Likes

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Blackfire(m): 2:34am On Feb 08, 2022
House boy who are you talking to?? Mention name

As for the election it nort2023 north2023

Anyways I sell cows

1 Like

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Upritman(m): 3:00am On Feb 08, 2022
Urgently needed.

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by PressMyButton: 4:01am On Feb 08, 2022
Truthisunique2:

Who says Osinbajo is in charge of Economic team?..
Bunch of illiterate Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Truthisunique2: 4:02am On Feb 08, 2022
PressMyButton:

Who says Osinbajo is in charge of Economic team?..
Bunch of illiterate Igbos.
Can I Press the button connecting your medulla

This is not a committee related to covid it's for post covid till 2023 e.g Nigeria post British era has no business with british

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by PressMyButton: 4:30am On Feb 08, 2022
Truthisunique2:
Can I Press the button connecting your medulla
This is a committee inaugurated to manage the effects of COVID-19 entirely different from the Economic team in charge of the country's macroeconomics.
It seems your fast fingers ain't connecting with your brain if at all there's any.

2 Likes

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by lesbiconverter: 4:58am On Feb 08, 2022
like Atiku
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Dawn91(m): 5:01am On Feb 08, 2022
Basically reject Tinubu

Amaechi Zulum 2023

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by voxpopuli23: 5:05am On Feb 08, 2022
Coming from a beneficiary of sectarian politics
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Nobody: 5:06am On Feb 08, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Osinabjo To Nigerians: Reject Politicians Using Sentiments To Get Power by Iruobean(m): 5:08am On Feb 08, 2022
johnmartus:
If that's the case no igbo man will elect as Nigeria president.

Are you saying there are no professionals in Igbo land?

This is the sentiment he is talking about?

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun Students Jubilate As Aregbesola Slashes Fees / Buhari Has Not Disappointed Many Patriots – Rauf Aregbesola / PDP Crisis: Hands Off Our Dispute, Makarfi, Others Tell Justice Abang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.