Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,603 members, 7,827,269 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol (10963 Views)

NNPC Apologises To Nigerians Over Bad Fuel, Long Queues / Importers Of Off-spec Petrol Must Be Held Accountable - Buhari / Bad Fuel Sold At Petrol Stations In Lagos (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by abobote: 6:58pm On Feb 11, 2022
jojo1415:
I pity those driving Exotic cars lok Obi cabana,Davido,Hushpuppi grin...if ur Rolls Royce knock engine...bro na til next year dey for fix am oooh
Pity your poor ass instead
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by dododawa1: 7:00pm On Feb 11, 2022
APC and lie Muhammad are something else.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by lexy2014: 7:01pm On Feb 11, 2022
backbencher:
The only way to stop this is to refine fuel at home

And the only way to refine fuel at home is by incentivising it...by removing subsidies and allowing the market to control the price....

We refine fuel in bad refineries because refining them in standard refineries means we have to spend more on subsidizing the fuel. So, to keep subsidy costs low...we refine fuel the substandard way.

So, subsidy should go. If it had gone in 1993, the above three incidents won't have happened, but no, we chose cheap fuel over sensible advice.

Good evening

SAUCE

1.Fuel subsides in Nigeria, bad for the economy, lifeblood of politicians.

How can fuel subsidy be the lifeblood of politicians when it's the same politicians who want it removed?
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by lexy2014: 7:04pm On Feb 11, 2022
backbencher:

Pay a tax, everyone pays a tax...from richest to beggar on the street, to raise enough income to fund subsides.

P.S Calling me an APC or PDP supporter, or excusing NNPC misses the point.

What has been done with all the taxes being paid so far?
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by oza20(m): 7:15pm On Feb 11, 2022
Omicron007:

He said all the suppliers of the contaminated petrol had been put on notice for “remedial action”.

I don't understand! Did you say "On Tuesday, the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) said it found methanol above national specifications in the imported gasoline."? And that, they are withdrawing the product from Filling stations, hence, the que? Where were they when the adulterated fuel was being off-loaded from the oil vessels into tankers and transported to deports all over the country? Did they not do a quality check on the imported product before giving pass for distribution? Or whose duty is it to check the quality and quantity of fuel being imported. This should be probed thoroughly and anyone found culpable should be prosecuted.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by Nobody: 7:42pm On Feb 11, 2022
backbencher:

Well, yeah, because landing cost of fuel is N282 and we sell that fuel at N163.

And we have to pay the cost of the losses from our crude oil revenue.

Also, the difference between the landing cost of fuel, and the cost at the pump keeps on growing and growing and growing.

And yes, it is because we all want cheap fuel

I hate PDP and APC, but if GEJ and now Buhari have flirted with the idea of removing fuel subsidy, and not only them, but all our leaders for several decades, something is up.

Same way we wrecked the old refinereis...by selling petrol at a loss, so that we can help the poor.

And yes, I put the blame on APC. That is no way to run the oil sector.

Thank you, and good evening. As far as I am concerend, the more we keep this subsidy, the more we lose out. For ten years, I have not supported subsidy retention.

If you want good quality fuel from NNPC, then privatise the thing as Atiku suggested in 2019, and allow them sell fuel at a profit, so that they have the money to fix things.

OR

Pay a tax, everyone pays a tax...from richest to beggar on the street, to raise enough income to fund subsides.

You can't just remove subsidy.

There are measures to take before making that move, or it will be the end of the economy as we know it.

If the government removes subsidy and fuel begin selling at #500+ a liter without a corresponding increase in the income of citizens, it will cause a ripple effect so strong that your logic cannot stand.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by tutudesz: 7:43pm On Feb 11, 2022
sulaak:

Who do you blame Oando or the NNPC?
NNPC for not doing their job properly
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by lereinter(m): 7:52pm On Feb 11, 2022
Na today
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by tunjilana: 8:03pm On Feb 11, 2022
backbencher:
The only way to stop this is to refine fuel at home

And the only way to refine fuel at home is by incentivising it...by removing subsidies and allowing the market to control the price....

We refine fuel in bad refineries because refining them in standard refineries means we have to spend more on subsidizing the fuel. So, to keep subsidy costs low...we refine fuel the substandard way.

So, subsidy should go. If it had gone in 1993, the above three incidents won't have happened, but no, we chose cheap fuel over sensible advice.

Good evening

SAUCE

1.Fuel subsides in Nigeria, bad for the economy, lifeblood of politicians.

So what is stopping govt from having functional refineries....didnt we have them b4?...was there subsidy when we had them?...why are u advocating for subsidy removal when the situation that created subsidy still exist...and u expect Nigerians to hang on the hope that once it is removed...refineries will just full everywhere... smiley ...the right thing for givt to do is to have functioning refineries that can atleast refineries our local consumption...that is the ethical and logical way to kill subsidy....your suggestion is like adding salt to injury and transferring govt headache to the poor man on the street who will have to pay for imported and unsubsidized petrol or be at the mercy of private business owners who end up building refineries and selling at rates that will not put in perspective the fact that this crude is in our backyard....we may end up buying at same rate as countries without crude cos business men will maximise profits

1 Like

Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by Starpro87(m): 8:27pm On Feb 11, 2022
SarkinYarki:
Since I was born I have never come across premium petrol in Nigeria

Some years back, I was working on a vessel laden with PMS and the Chief Officer asked me the meaning of PMS. I told him Premium Motor Spirit. Guess his response: This fucking sheet PREMIUM? I can't use this on my car, you can't bring this into our country. So there is nothing premium about our spec of Gasoline.

2 Likes

Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by cardoctor(m): 8:32pm On Feb 11, 2022
Since 1859. Before the amalgamation. Bla bla bla
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by snipernigga(m): 8:46pm On Feb 11, 2022
All na aboki regime
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by oyeb15: 8:50pm On Feb 11, 2022
Don't be surprised that its all scam.

They know we discovered Covid-19 scam, na fake fuel dey on top now. By December, we will see the truth.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by caye(m): 8:59pm On Feb 11, 2022
backbencher:

Also, the difference between the landing cost of fuel, and the cost at the pump keeps on growing and growing and growing.

I hate PDP and APC, but if GEJ and now Buhari have flirted with the idea of removing fuel subsidy, and not only them, but all our leaders for several decades, something is up.

Same way we wrecked the old refinereis...by selling petrol at a loss, so that we can help the poor.

Thank you, and good evening. As far as I am concerend, the more we keep this subsidy, the more we lose out. For ten years, I have not supported subsidy retention.

If you want good quality fuel from NNPC, then privatise the thing as Atiku suggested in 2019, and allow them sell fuel at a profit, so that they have the money to fix things.

OR

Idiot disinformationista.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by Omicron007: 9:05pm On Feb 11, 2022
backbencher:

OR

Inasmuch as I agree with your verdict, I don't support a swift removal of the subsidies paid on PMS when the conditions that led to the payment have not been fixed.

If you allow forces of demand and supply based on international valuation led by the OPEC and other blocs to determine the price of PMS in Nigeria, the average Nigerian on the street won't be able to buy the product.

Let us not forget the fact that the energy prices directly affect the price of other goods and services such as food stuffs, transportation fares and others.

The government needs to remove this subsidy in phases while charting a system to cushion the effect of the removal.

1 Like

Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 11, 2022
caye:

Idiot disinformationista.

A handsome man .

Good evening, and remember that this is just a site ..
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by tempest01(m): 9:34pm On Feb 11, 2022
v
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by baralatie(m): 9:37pm On Feb 11, 2022
sulaak:
The speed at which NNPC comes up with new estimates, make one believe that the adulterated petrol is part of a wider plan to siphon off more money.

Of course nau!
It will cost money to refine the refine fuel nau
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by ehissi(m): 9:41pm On Feb 11, 2022
In typical APC/BMC fashion, you report anything that has to so with administration that's negative, they first deny, pass blame and then trivialise it by going to the past, look for moments it happened (apart from Buharis first administration as a dictator) and splash it all over the news.....
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by bitty4real(m): 2:39am On Feb 12, 2022
The solution is to revive the existing refineries in Nigeria. Those behind the bad fuel should be brought to book.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by sulaak(m): 4:27am On Feb 12, 2022
baralatie:

Of course nau!
It will cost money to refine the refine fuel nau

It will cost more money to clean dirty fuel or even to have the fuel supply chain stopped at the source. That's why smart countries prioritise energy security, just like food security, grow your own food.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by sulaak(m): 4:33am On Feb 12, 2022
Omicron007:

Inasmuch as I agree with your verdict, I don't support a swift removal of the subsidies paid on PMS when the conditions that led to the payment have not been fixed.

If you allow forces of demand and supply based on international valuation led by the OPEC and other blocs to determine the price of PMS in Nigeria, the average Nigerian on the street won't be able to buy the product.

Let us not forget the fact that the energy prices directly affect the price of other goods and services such as food stuffs, transportation fares and others.

The government needs to remove this subsidy in phases while charting a system to cushion the effect of the removal.

Fuel subsidy is 100% corruption, funds that should be invested in education, healthcare, roads and industry is wasted on importing dirty fuel.

Nigeria dependency on foreign imported oil is also very dangerous to the security of the country. The recent adulterated fuel could have been sabotage of Nigeria fuel supply chain.

The sooner Nigeria can produce leaders that can provide Nigerians with energy and food security the better.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by bikefab(m): 7:32am On Feb 12, 2022
Making excuses and justifying failure, telling the citizens that what they are experiencing have always occurred in the past.

Buhari takes all the blames here. He is the petroleum minister and equally the president. He is an inept dullard.d
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by themanderon: 8:24am On Feb 12, 2022
We have been importing fuel since the Abacha era and my fellow countrymen have not asked why our refineries have not been fixed for over twenty something years now. Power has also remained an elusive venture. Our unfortunate rulers have been catching cruise with our collective stupidity for years.

1 Like

Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by SLOVFO(m): 2:15am On Feb 14, 2022
todaynewsreview:
Hmmmm..... let's stop the blame game and focus on way forward. The earlier the better. Guess the point of origin should be unravel too and necessary action taken too.
There should be accountability. Who exactly tested and released this product into the market? Knowing fully well that the methanol level is above norm. Someone should be held accountable and made to pay for this mess.
Re: TIMELINE: Bad Fuel, Foul Fuel, Off-Spec — Nigeria’s History With Bad Petrol by DAVE5(m): 7:14am On Feb 14, 2022
Cleanworld:

Even if fuel is selling above the landing cost it won't still clear all the corruption and shenanigans going on in that sector.

You dey mind the guy

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Arise-Tv Debate Would Be Airing Every Sunday For The Meantime / Comprehensive History Of The Disputed Anambra Oil Basin / Okija Indigenes Protest Over Arrest Of Traditional Ruler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.