Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,130 members, 7,811,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire (11276 Views)

See The Traditional Attire Of Kuteb People / Important Things You Should Know About The Igbo Traditional Wedding / Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bundarina: 7:55pm On Feb 11, 2022
What I've seen is igbo take bits abd pieces of other groups traditional attire and say they 'also do it' when pre modern photos show that they didn't. I saw a tiktok of this American igbo people wearing Efik attire, Yoruba Gele and Edo attire as igbo culture.

Can igbo cultural figures come together and create a cultural attire that isn't copying and pasting other ethnicities attire. They'd say they wore like edo attire too without the Edo crown bead work but that's not true. Historical photos confirm this.

Some say that they wore a head wear similar to Gele called Ichafu, when Ichafu was actually an handkerchief they wore to church that came with colonialism. Ichafu is also a loan word from the French chef, and looked nothing like Yoruba Gele and the way it was styled. That's a given as historical photos show and both ethnicities were not in direct contact or neighbors, prior to the modern word.

So what's is actual igbo attire devoid of borrowing? And Isiagu is recent and imported, but i can respect it. Some other ethnicities in Cameroon, also within that Nigerian region have started the cultural borrowing too, mimicking their neighbors.

Video in question of a common example of the cultural outfit copy and paste. I will post screen shots since i can't post tiktoks.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Fahdiga(m): 7:58pm On Feb 11, 2022
Buhari trouser
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bundarina: 8:11pm On Feb 11, 2022
Fahdiga:
Buhari trouser

When will you ever be serious?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by duro4chang(m): 9:11pm On Feb 11, 2022
bundarina:

Nothing serious has ever come out of him
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Fahdiga(m): 10:38pm On Feb 11, 2022
bundarina:

The trouser Buhari wore during his visit to Imo State was it a Yoruba attire?

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Fahdiga(m): 10:40pm On Feb 11, 2022
duro4chang:
Nothing serious has ever come out of him
Incoherent gibberish
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by duro4chang(m): 10:43pm On Feb 11, 2022
Fahdiga:
Incoherent gibberish
That is your trademark. Everybody knows you for that.
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Fahdiga(m): 10:51pm On Feb 11, 2022
duro4chang:
That is your trademark. Everybody knows you for that.
Every sensible person here knows me as an intellect who speaks the truth at all time unlike you that everyone here sees as a jester

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by duro4chang(m): 10:54pm On Feb 11, 2022
Fahdiga:
Every sensible person here knows me as an intellect who speaks the truth at all time unlike you that everyone here sees as a jester
You must be kidding.
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Fahdiga(m): 10:58pm On Feb 11, 2022
duro4chang:
You must be kidding.
We are waiting for you to entertain us with your clownish posts as usual so that we can laugh before going to bed

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by duro4chang(m): 11:21pm On Feb 11, 2022
Fahdiga:
We are waiting for you to entertain us with your clownish posts as usual so that we can laugh before going to bed
You of all people? You have become a laughing stock or nairaland. Because you can't see your occiput but you can see that of other people, then it is easy for you to talk about.
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Fahdiga(m): 7:18am On Feb 12, 2022
duro4chang:
You of all people? You have become a laughing stock or nairaland. Because you can't see your occiput but you can see that of other people, then it is easy for you to talk about.
The joke is on you
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by IamAtikulate: 9:32am On Feb 12, 2022
Nri is older than all Southern kingdoms including the Sokoto Caliphate.

How sure are you that other tribes didn't copy their wear from Igbos.

So what makes you think that those taught Ife iron smelting (Nri) and has one of the most developed indigenous fabric industry (Akwatte) borrowed from tribes that came to meet them already existing.

If you don't know history, we do.

Igboukwu bronze art is over 100 years older than Ife and about 200 years older than Bini. So who should be copying each other?

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 12:02pm On Feb 12, 2022
IamAtikulate:

So what makes you think that those taught Ife iron smelting (Nri) and has one of the most developed indigenous fabric industry (Akwatte) borrowed from tribes that came to meet them already existing.

Igboukwu bronze art is over 100 years older than Ife and about 200 years older than Bini. So who should be copying each other?

All what you said was documented by Emaka in the year 2005

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bundarina: 12:19pm On Feb 12, 2022
IamAtikulate:

Drop the weed you are smoking, i don't care for delusional statements. Answer the question and stop being a class clown.

And the Sokoto Caliphate is in the north. Ife (Yoruba) iron smelting and art predates others in the Niger-area and is known for its exquisiteness. Akwette came about rather late (19th century) and was modeled after fabric sold by the ijebu Yorubas and the Portuguese to the igbos, all this is well documented.

4 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bundarina: 12:20pm On Feb 12, 2022
Jameseddi1:

All what you said was documented by Emaka in the year 2005

Lmao stop eet

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bundarina: 1:33pm On Feb 12, 2022
IamAtikulate:

Lmao the copium is real for you. Actual history instead of your cope.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 8:32pm On Feb 12, 2022
bundarina:

Drop the weed you are smoking, i don't care for delusional statements. Answer the question and stop being a class clown.

And the Sokoto Caliphate is in the north. Ife (Yoruba) iron smelting and art predates others in the Niger-area and is known for its exquisiteness. Akwette came about rather late (19th century) and was modeled after fabric sold by the ijebu Yorubas and the Portuguese to the igbos, all this is well documented.

Benin art was documented by earliest European who came to Africa in 13th century.
But what if Benin now also tell this European that they started the art 2000 years ago before 13th century?

We all gat to quit lying and accept the truth.

Your Igbo art was documented in 19th century. And stop ranting my father is bigger than yours shit that it was 9th century because that was an imaginary talk, if it was discovered 1930 that was it origin.

Benin bronze was discovered far back as 13th century. Now tell me wich one is older.

Igbo and this kindom from 19th century should stopped imaginary history story and embrace fact.

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bomb24: 11:05pm On Feb 12, 2022
bundarina:

Akwete yoruba?

Afonjas are eternally foolish!

yorubas had no indegenous clothing line.

the aso oke u claim today came from the fulanis.

cc bkayy
igboid

ekealterelgo

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bomb24: 11:17pm On Feb 12, 2022
bundarina:

Akwete clothing styles is entirely different from Ijebu my-friend, drop your stupid propaganda..

2 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 12:06am On Feb 13, 2022
bomb24:

Akwete clothing styles is entirely different from Ijebu my-friend, drop your stupid propaganda..

He is right.... most Akwete designs and styles come from the Ijebu Yoruba clothing called Aso Olona with motifs made in the osugbo.ogboni, Awo/ifa and itagbe designs etc.... the Ijebu waterside people traded it via the coast with the Ijaws who then introduced it to the Ndokis.
Google Aso Olona and then google akwete cloth and notice the undeniable diffuion of ideology from west to east.

[img]http:///65535/51877971383_e332814719_b.jpg[/img]

https://www.google.com/search?q=aso+olona&tbm=isch&sxsrf=APq-WBvljjeFV7WahxDOmhPox_Mghkbuzg:1644706900754&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj3zNDUovv1AhX9lIkEHR_xCY0Q_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1440&bih=716&dpr=2

[img]http:///65535/51879349738_ba3b1c7858_b.jpg[/img]

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 12:46am On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

He is right.... most Akwete designs and styles come from the Ijebu Yoruba clothing called Aso Olona with motifs made in the osugbo.ogboni, Awo/ifa and itagbe designs etc.... the Ijebu waterside people traded it via the coast with the Ijaws who then introduced it to the Ndokis.
Google Aso Olona and then google akwete cloth and notice the undeniable diffuion of ideology from west to east.
Yoruba has no indigenous clothing except for animal skin. So I wonder what you thought your people were trading.
Akwete (so named after the town that weaves it) is traditional indigenous Igbo cloth that spread across Old Eastern region nations. Put it this way as something uniting Ndigbo with Ibibio, Efik, Annang etc. I have seen many propose theories mainly hamitic to make it second but never have I seen one as petty as yours.
"from West to East?" my dear you need to have indigenous cloth to export one.

As for Yoruba indigenous animal skin clothing and what you people now claim as yours. Look at the pictures below.
1st /2nd pic = Yoruba Prince in traditional animal skin.
3rd pic= The Fulani clothing, they (Fulani) clothed Yorubas with. The picture is of Sudanese Fulani

I am not here to revise those blog articles you Yorubas fool yourselves with. If it is not 1st person recorded history or reasonable discovery, it is not fact.
1st pic

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 1:05am On Feb 13, 2022
OK, Mr OP bundarina what you need to do is ask those you think Ndigbo copied from "who owned it"
Your ascertions is actually the reverse. Ndigbo exported textiles to all including Igala.

Yoruba on the other hand, doesn't know anything like cloths. Only those under Islamic influence have access to such luxury, either from Fulani, Nupe, Hausa or occasional Mali/Songhai traders (mainly those outside Nigeria).

Honestly you Yorubas should dedicate much time to studying yourselves than poking into people that are actually superior to you.
No matter the slander, whenever Ndigbo take up the argument, you can't help but feel the difference quality.

As for "gele" my dear, prior to Islamic /European contact, Yoruba women don't wear such. Your women rock Chinese "queue" like hairstyle. The type that Jet-Li wear in his films. Head dress came to you people primarily through Islamic contact. It is not your original culture

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 1:25am On Feb 13, 2022
bomb24:

Akwete yoruba?

Afonjas are eternally foolish!

yorubas had no indegenous clothing line.

the aso oke u claim today came from the fulanis.

cc bkayy
igboid

ekealterelgo
Honestly, most these Yorubas are filled with ignorance.
Did one say Ijaw make clothes? Lol
Not just make clothes but export it to Ndigbo grin

I saw one claim head dress as part of Yoruba culture. The same Yorubas that their women either plait hair or wear Chinese kind of hairstyle?
Most of these Yorubas have deep inferiority complex. The way they rush to claim ownership of what isn't their culture is shamefully amazing

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 1:42am On Feb 13, 2022
bundarina:

He is right.
Take your time and read real history not your usual Yoruba blog articles.
Akwete isn't the only Igbo cloth.

4 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bomb24: 1:44am On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

Honestly, most these Yorubas are filled with ignorance.
Did one say Ijaw make clothes? Lol
Not just make clothes but export it to Ndigbo grin

I saw one claim head dress as part of Yoruba culture. The same Yorubas that their women either plait hair or wear Chinese kind of hairstyle?
Most of these Yorubas have deep inferiority complex. The way they rush to claim ownership of what isn't their culture is shamefully amazing

Their stupidity and ignorance is mind blowing, just take a look at the dubious way they were trying to link akwete to to some un-existent ijebu clothing lines and ijaws.

Thank-Goodness I had to tag u, before they start leeching themselves into our history like they did to the benins and bullied them into submission.

4 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 1:50am On Feb 13, 2022
bomb24:

Their stupidity and ignorance is mind blowing, just take a look at the dubious way they were trying to link akwete to to some un-existent ijebu clothing lines and ijaws.

Thank-Goodness I had to tag u, before they start leeching themselves into our history like they did to the benins and bullied them into submission.
That is where they will be disgraced like that fake Oyo calvary.
Yorubas don't even have indigenous clothing but most of them here don't know.
Like the OP bundarina, most of them swallowed the fake things their dubious blogs and fake historical books fed them whole but God/Nature has a way of doing things.

She (Nature) makes them to jump into arguments like this so that they will be exposed and helped to reconnect to their roots (Their original history and culture that they are running from).

In matters like this, I present evidences that makes them realise that those books have been deceiving them all along. For example, the picture below, just one have already summarised who clothed Yorubas and where the cloth came from. The picture is of Sudanese Fulani. You can see Aso oke, Aso whatever and other names they call them in one picture.

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bomb24: 1:53am On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

He is right.
Take your time and read real history not your usual Yoruba blog articles.

The Idiot also claimed our dance attire to be Efik.

I'm not surprised he was able to make such stupid claims, only a yoruba man will see a name clearly spelt as osasuwa and call him Igbo.

cultural morons.

2 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 1:58am On Feb 13, 2022
This guy must be very silly I swear....

The obi of Onitsha and the other Aniomas must have copied their dressing from this Fulani boy on the left.... How dare he wear an inner shirt and throw fabric across his shoulder... grin Both of them even have brass ornaments on their arms close to the elbow.... damn copy cats!! cheesy

[img]http:///65535/51878196438_01b9c58c78_b.jpg[/img][quote]

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bomb24: 2:00am On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

That is where they will be disgraced like that fake Oyo calvary.
Yorubas don't even have indigenous clothing but most of them here don't know.
Like the OP bundarina, most of them swallowed the fake things their dubious blogs and fake historical books fed them whole but God/Nature has a way of doing things.

She (Nature) makes them to jump into arguments like this so that they will be exposed and helped to reconnect to their roots (Their original history and culture that they are running from).

In matters like this, I present evidences that makes them realise that those books have been deceiving them all along. For example, the picture below, just one have already summarised who clothed Yorubas and where the cloth came from. The picture is of Sudanese Fulani. You can see Aso oke, Aso whatever and other names they call them in one picture.

Lol just Imagine, shameless.

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 2:30am On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

Yoruba has no indigenous clothing except for animal skin. So I wonder what you thought your people were trading.
Akwete (so named after the town that weaves it) is traditional indigenous Igbo cloth that spread across Old Eastern region nations. Put it this way as something uniting Ndigbo with Ibibio, Efik, Annang etc. I have seen many propose theories mainly hamitic to make it second but never have I seen one as petty as yours.
"from West to East?" my dear you need to have indigenous cloth to export one.

As for Yoruba indigenous animal skin clothing and what you people now claim as yours. Look at the pictures below.
1st /2nd pic = Yoruba Prince in traditional animal skin.
3rd pic= The Fulani clothing, they (Fulani) clothed Yorubas with. The picture is of Sudanese Fulani

I am not here to revise those blog articles you Yorubas fool yourselves with. If it is not 1st person recorded history or reasonable discovery, it is not fact.
1st pic

looool.. The mere fact that you are so combative and insultive about facts of history is very telling.
.... if your thinking was not upside down, you would know that all Sub saharan African ethnic groups used animal skins as forms of ceremonial garb. Yorubas would occasionally use animal skins in things like ceremonial functions, that much is not new.... but trust me, the weaving of cotton and other typically savannah crops got to the Yorubas before it did the igbos.
And to say Yoruba had only things like leopard skin as clothing shows how much you have to learn still.

You posted picture of Burkinabe Fulani (which you think was taken in sudan grin) in typical pan-sudanic clothing shared by several groups and ascribe it to the creation of Fulas...lol. You don't even know that typical Fulanis were only very scantily dressed. Till today nomadic fulani are still barely covered.... some of their people with limited contact with civilizing groups still move about with b*o0bs out.

[img]http:///65535/51878818760_cc7f30703f.jpg[/img].[img]http:///65535/51878505764_91a4e3b988.jpg[/img]

Ok, let me do what you did above to show you how foo*lish you look ... the pictures below are the typical Fulani dressings. And infact, the group that wears them till today are arguably the oldest and most culturally conservative fulani.

[img]http:///65535/51877123467_8a6de2867f_z.jpg[/img]

Old Oyo was in the savannah plains right with the Nupe, Bariba, Songhay, and further afield; Hausa and Mali areas you mentioned, and of course there was cultural diffusion and many aspect of shared similarity, who is denying that? Lmao That is how civilization and spread of ideas work in a typical world. So, while the earliest form of the agbada style may have been developed somewhere in the sahara desert, I haven't come across any peer reviewed article that categorically states the ethnicity that developed it.... and that style today is as Nupe as it is Yoruba or Fula...... except of course each group (most especially the Yorubas) have domesticated it even further and adapted it to something uniquely theirs.... But one thing is sure, it is NEVER Igbo, and yet you lots wear it, which only proves the thread OP right!

Now to the question of diffusion of Aso olona styles from the Ijebu riverine areas into the east... there are plenty of scholarly articles for you to go read about it.... not blog posts like you keep yapping. If it massages your ego to keep thinking that it idn't happen , all well and good.... But what the OP said is something I have noticed to be indeed true. In a typical Igbo event, you will see cut and join culture from all over Nigeria, Europe and the Americas.... from European walking sticks and trousers to East Asian batiks, damasks, velvets and other fabric, to North African Maghrebi and Ottoman fez hats, to European styled crowns and fashion canes to European introduced hats to Edo styles to Yoruba styles to everything basically. .... Anyways, borrowing is not a crime.

[img]http:///65535/51878103046_50bb4ed85c_b.jpg[/img]
https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/topic-essays/show/19?start=22

^^ As you can see even the cotton akwete women wove with was imported because cotton would not grow naturally in a place like Akwete.

Yoruba clothing history is way more extensive and older than anything from igboland, don't let me disgrace you here with books of real life accounts (which you so hungrily crave for) of what writers of yore met in igboland.

If I ask you to explain the ideas conveyed on those akwete designs based on the igbo culture, will you be able to do so? Those designs all have meaning in Yoruba from the ifa corpus, the ogboni symbolisms and the Ijebu Ekine cult.

13 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dating A Nigerian Guy In China / Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies / Igbinedion University Honours Oluwo With Doctorate Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.