Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age (10728 Views)

Forget Zoning, Be Strategic: What Tambuwal Really Said About Zoning (video) / Enugu 2023: Understanding Zoning And The Enugu Governorship Trajectory / What Fashola Actually Said About Roads In Nigeria (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by naptu2: 6:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
Paul O Ibe

What Atiku Said To The Fix Nigeria Group On Zoning And Age

Following inaccurate representation of what His Excellency Atiku Abubakar, Vice President of Nigeria (1999-2007) said at his meeting with the Fix Nigeria Group on sundry issues concerning the 2023 election, especially as it relates to the issue of zoning and age, I am sharing the verbatim transcript of what was said to put the records straight. Please find attached the original video recording of the event.

Paul Ibe
Media Adviser to H.E Atiku Abubakar
16th February, 2022.

https://twitter.com/omonlakiki/status/1493952882156134401

“Ladies and gentlemen,

I welcome you to my house. You know, it is your house too. Professor (Isa) Odidi and I have been in regular communication. I want to thank him through you. When you talk to him, tell him that he has my great respect and my gratitude to him for all that he has been doing since the last election. He has been really consistent and he has been loyal to the Directorate of the Diaspora. Please thank him very much on my behalf.

Well, you have already said what is before us today. First of all, we are waiting for the President to sign the Electoral Act; only God knows – maybe until after the elections that he will sign the bill. But when he signs it, we will expect – of course - that INEC will release their guidelines. And when INEC releases its own guidelines, we expect the political parties to read and adopt which option.

In the draft Electoral Act, we have three options: direct, indirect and consensus. Each political party will now decide which option it will adopt. Then, we will know. But my senses tell me that the PDP will go for the indirect primaries. Because, we believe that that is the most efficient and that is the less expensive and also it brings politically enlightened members of the party to make a very important decision for the party, on behalf of the party. So, we still have a little bit of time to wait. Hopefully, before the end of this month, we will have the Electoral Bill signed into law.

What is important is that we have people who are already statutory delegates. Meaning: governors and former governors; senators and former senators; members of the House of Representatives and former members of the House of Representatives – who are still members of our party. Do you understand? And then, we have elected delegates, right? Now, these elected delegates are the people that we don’t know. But we already know who the statutory delegates are. So, currently, the statutory delegates should be our targets. These are the people that we must reach out to until the party lets us know who the elected delegates are. This is how we will form the Electoral College that will elect the candidate. I believe that you will work towards…. Many of you are friends with members of the National Assembly; many of you are friends with current and past governors and so on and so forth. These are people that you should target or you should lobby and let them know that this is the person that is best suited for our party, if you want to rescue the country.

So, I thank you very much indeed and I look forward to interacting with you, you know, again in the future, as developments occur. If there is need on your own part to be with me, fine; if there is need for my own part to be with you, good enough. I request through the High Chief (Raymond Dokpesi).

I want to commend you for the work that you have done so far by enlightening the citizens of this country on the choices before us as a country. I have never seen this country have so many challenges at the same time. Sometimes when I lay down on my bed, I begin to wonder whether I should go for this thing or not, because, the challenges are just too many. All my life, I have never seen the country in such a bad situation. As far as the unity of the country is concerned, we are more divided, in fact more divided even than when we fought the civil war. We were never as divided as this. We never had breakdown of law and order like this. When we fought the civil war, it was confined in a particular place, every other place was peaceful and we didn’t have this kind of poverty where even the farmer could not go the field to plant what he will eat, not to talk of commercial quantity.

So, it is daunting task for anybody to come and turn things around. And, I have heard people talk about ‘oh… we should give it to a young man, or we should not give it to an old man, we should give it to a middle aged man, and so on and so forth.’ Of course, they have the freedom of speech and they can say anything. But fundamentally, the constitution says that all of us can contest. The constitution has not barred anyone of us. There is no zoning in the constitution. There is none. I was a member of the Constituent Assembly that drafted this very constitution. Then, as a multi-ethnic and multi-religious country, we felt that there should be a sense of belonging. I remember that I had a very heated argument with the Late Dr. Alex Ekwueme at the Constitutional Conference. I said, ‘Alex, you want to bring in zoning because you want to breakaway this country.’ We had very heated debate with him and later on, I apologized to him and told him: ‘you reason better than myself. I was emotional in my reasoning. I think the zonal thing that you are proposing is a good thing.’

I assure you that as far as I am concerned, I will observe and implement whatever will bring about the peace, unity and stability of this country. I met an Emir three nights ago; he is not from my state. He is from one of the other states and he said to me that: ‘you know why I support you strongly to be president?’ What are you looking for at this age? You have married finish, you don born finish. You have everything. But my fear is that if I go and give it to a young man, he may be looking for women to marry; looking for a car to buy or a house to build. Now what are we saying?’ I laughed. I said: ‘well, it doesn’t follow. God endows leadership. You can have a young thirty years old man and he will do better than an old man. So, leadership is an endowed attribute of God. We should try to look for such a person who has been endowed

I thank you very much for this visit. I want to thank High Chief for bringing this team along. I wish you all a pleasant evening and God bless you.”

You can watch the videos by clicking this link: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10161894211992995&id=816152994

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Maxymilliano(m): 4:55am On Feb 17, 2022
Nonetheless, Zoning is unconstitutional

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Jaydasilva10: 4:56am On Feb 17, 2022
Story for the gods

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by humberjade: 4:56am On Feb 17, 2022
Why him dey shalaye nah... On top sey he sha wan become President by force sha grin

Awon team "Life long dream to be President"... cheesy

The last desperate one, we know where it has landed us now grin

All these spent ancestors with their draconian style of thinking and leadership should go home and rest abeg, Naija's problem is beyond what their frail bodies and minds can handle.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by tempest01(m): 5:00am On Feb 17, 2022
Maxymilliano:

Nobody is forcing anybody to zone or not. But the south collectively says that power should come back south after 8 years of the north.

Given the "unconstitutional" zoning that has been in play, the south says it will collectively not support any party that does not field a southern candidate.

Atiku should hang his boots. Buhari has closed any chances of a northerner succeeding him with mismanagement, nepotism, favouritism and corruption.

Modified: zoned to the south does not mean another Buhari-like disaster should be forced on us. Corrupt, sick, and aged president in 2023 will be a far worse disaster. And I personally wouldn't mind a northerner instead.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Dijita: 5:10am On Feb 17, 2022
Maxymilliano:
Zoning is not prohibited in the constitution. it's therefore constitutional.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by meritadavize1(m): 5:11am On Feb 17, 2022
Ok
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by blamingthedevil: 5:15am On Feb 17, 2022
Zooning is not a Constitutional matter, but a lawful party arrangement that allows everyone to contest, but natural justice and people's conscience swing the primary to a particular zone , because the Nigerian Constitution does not forbids it.

PDP zoned to South in 2015, It did not work
PDP zoned to the North in 2019, with atikulators and dilectors, still, it didn't work.
It is natural justice that the next zooning should be South.
Atiku, should drink water and rest.

Meanwhile... God Bless Incoming President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Penguin2: 5:15am On Feb 17, 2022
I knew this rebuttal would come…

So Atiku was misquoted and it took over 2 weeks before you could set the records straight?

It’s a simple thing… Atiku was testing the waters but the backlash was too much for him to bear and that’s why he mellowed and is now recanting.

2023 is for Southern Nigeria.

But not for idiots like Pee Poo Tinubu
Iberiberic Okorocha
Corrupt Orji Uzor Kalu and their likes.

Ogwu ka oha mu n’onu.

8 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by IgweOfNnewi: 5:20am On Feb 17, 2022
v
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by ManOfCompetence(m): 5:23am On Feb 17, 2022
Atiku will be taking from both sides of his mouth.......He should relax.......Power is coming to the south........ either Amaechi, osibanjo, or Peter obi will be Nigeria next president and that's period

3 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by osazsky(m): 5:23am On Feb 17, 2022
tempest01:

Nobody is forcing anybody to zone or not. But the south collectively says that power should come back south after 8 years of the north.

Given the "unconstitutional" zoning that has been in play, the south says it will collectively not support any party that does not field a southern candidate.

Atiku should hang his boots. Buhari has closed any chances of a northerner succeeding him with mismanagement, nepotism, favouritism and corruption.
I am from the south and we prefers it remains in the north than tinibullion van

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Echoban: 5:27am On Feb 17, 2022
osazsky:

U and who are the we. Speak for urself Biko. Even if na Southern Imb-ecile I no mind..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Cantonese: 5:41am On Feb 17, 2022
Na wah
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by dele1727: 5:50am On Feb 17, 2022
tempest01:

grin grin grin

Who is the south?
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Arabaincubus: 5:59am On Feb 17, 2022
There is no need for this. Nigerians will not send another person to Aso Rock to go and enjoy their retirement there. Nigerians have suffered enough.

Paul, tell your principal to do himself a favour and avoid a super disgrace.
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:03am On Feb 17, 2022
Over to the children of hate, frustrations and perdition.

All enemies of our darling nation will never end well.

No be curse, Na FACT!

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by mightyhaze: 6:20am On Feb 17, 2022
Tans
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Truthisunique2: 6:26am On Feb 17, 2022
Yoruba hypocrites are saying PDP must zone to the south not because they care about the south which they brought down in 2015

They believe that Atiku a strong northerner would be a big problem for a druggie pipe dream

I hope to hear from them when neither osinbajo or druggie becomes flag bearer

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by tempest01(m): 6:28am On Feb 17, 2022
dele1727:

grin grin grin

Who is the south?

Ask the southern governors forum
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by damade16(m): 6:42am On Feb 17, 2022
Penguin2:
I knew this rebuttal would come…

So Atiku was misquoted and it took over 2 weeks before you could set the records straight?

It’s a simple thing… Atiku was testing the waters but the backlash was too much for him to bear and that’s why he mellowed and is now recanting.

2023 is for Southern Nigeria.

But not for idiots like Pee Poo Tinubu
Iberiberic Okorocha
Corrupt Orji Uzor Kalu and their likes.

Ogwu ka oha mu n’onu.
But for PeterChina right? Your problem pass you

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by damade16(m): 6:43am On Feb 17, 2022
osazsky:
See this Fulani slave talking

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Penguin2: 6:50am On Feb 17, 2022
damade16:

But for PeterChina right? Your problem pass you

Go and check if Tinubu haff wee wee and get out of my mention.
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Busineessguru4: 7:04am On Feb 17, 2022
What is good for goose, is also good for the ...
Do you have a business and you want to learn how to structure your business to be stable and function like how big organizations and corporations do. I have an ebook that will help you structure your business to run effectively without your supervision or having to always monitor your workers before work can be done and help you maximize profit. For just 3k you can get the material for now before it goes back to 5k and I will also add you to a Whatsapp business group for free where you will learn more and connect. Contact me with the number below in my profile
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by olaric(m): 7:06am On Feb 17, 2022
This is a fruitless effort aimed at confusing the people even more; it's all about self interest...
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Nobody: 7:11am On Feb 17, 2022
Do you want to give some people hard attack?

He said it or not,I don't care.

B2B 2023.

May Allah bless our incoming president, whoever he is.

APC or PDP or whatever party.

29th-May-2023, can't wait.

Humility,Eloquence, Wisdom and Foresight.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by ubimagos: 7:16am On Feb 17, 2022
As if young men womanize pass the old fo0l with concubines everywhere!

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 17, 2022
Truthisunique2:
Yoruba hypocrites are saying PDP must zone to the south not because they care about the south which they brought down in 2015

They believe that Atiku a strong northerner would be a big problem for a druggie pipe dream

I hope to hear from them when neither osinbajo or druggie becomes flag bearer

Calm down.

29th-May-2023,the best President would be sworn in.
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by Bobloco: 7:35am On Feb 17, 2022
'I remember that I had a very heated argument with the Late Dr. Alex Ekwueme at the Constitutional Conference. I said, ‘Alex, you want to bring in zoning because you want to breakaway this country.’ We had very heated debate with him and later on, I apologized to him and told him: ‘you reason better than myself. I was emotional in my reasoning. I think the zonal thing that you are proposing is a good thing.’

This is the reason why they don't want an Igbo man to be the president of Nigeria.
There is this fear amongst the north that an Igbo man becoming the president of Nigeria will lead to its balkanization
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by bigdammyj: 7:38am On Feb 17, 2022
Unofficial
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by truthstands01: 8:16am On Feb 17, 2022
blamingthedevil:
Zooning is not a Constitutional matter, but a lawful party arrangement that allows everyone to contest, but natural justice and people's conscience swing the primary to a particular zone , because the Nigerian Constitution does not forbids it.

PDP zoned to South in 2015, It did not work
PDP zoned to the North in 2019, with atikulators and dilectors, still, it didn't work.
It is natural justice that the next zooning should be South.
Atiku, should drink water and rest.

Meanwhile... God Bless Incoming President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

You see your life? It should be zoned to the South and Tinunbu is your candidate. Pls take off. If it is coming to the South and its not South East, let it remain with the North. SW has had 8yrs of Presidency and 8yrs of VP yet you want it again in 2023....haha. Make you get conscience small nah.
Re: 2023 Elections: What Atiku Abubakar Actually Said About Zoning And Age by blamingthedevil: 8:56am On Feb 17, 2022
truthstands01:

You see your life? It should be zoned to the South and Tinunbu is your candidate. Pls take off. If it is coming to the South and its not South East, let it remain with the North. SW has had 8yrs of Presidency and 8yrs of VP yet you want it again in 2023....haha. Make you get conscience small nah.

Read my words and sentences carefully... don't jump on it, but read and read over again...if it makes sense to you...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Supreme Court Affirms Daniel Nwafor As Imo APC Chairman / Nnamdi Kanu Needs Urgent Surgery For Impaired Ear Drum – Barr. Ejiofor / ECOWAS Sanctions: Reps Call For Reopening Of Borders With Niger Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.