Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? (39473 Views)

Construction Works On Units Of Flats (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 4:15am On Jun 26, 2011
^^^Greek Arch. looks Nigerian too. Ugly and unorganized.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by pleep(m): 4:36am On Jun 26, 2011
haha Everything in Nigeria is ugly cement. Are nigerians scared of brick or something? brick adds an element of classyness to a building.
And nigerian hotels need to stop using those funky interior colors and colored lights. Why does everything in the room have to be pale green? damn  angry
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 4:49am On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^Greek Arch. looks Nigerian too. Ugly and unorganized.

You have no taste! angry

Greek Architecture is simple but elegant.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 4:52am On Jun 26, 2011
^^^ What's so great about that? My 4 years old brother can draw something more intriguing than that vomit. 

It's not organized, so pale, no color, looks like Lego[size=5pt]TM[/size] block animations.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 4:59am On Jun 26, 2011
pleep:

haha Everything in Nigeria is ugly cement. Are nigerians scared of brick or something? brick adds an element of classyness to a building.
And nigerian hotels need to stop using those funky interior colors and colored lights. Why does everything in the room have to be pale green? damn  angry

I wonder o. And the paints on the cement wears out faster than on brick walls.
I love brick houses.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by kcjazz(m): 5:00am On Jun 26, 2011
@Ezeuche visit the North and see some interesting architecture. Not as white as the Greek ones cos our dust have claws

Check out Kajuru castle in Kaduna, its peacful and beautiful

Also the FG experimented with brick houses in Abuja, beautiful but I think they cause so much heat
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:08am On Jun 26, 2011
kcjazz:

@Ezeuche visit the North and see some interesting architecture. Not as white as the Greek ones cos our dust have claws

Check out Kajuru castle in Kaduna, its peacful and beautiful

Also the FG experimented with brick houses in Abuja, beautiful but I think they cause so much heat

Why must we copy brick houses, when the reason why brick houses are made in the United States and Europe is, because the Winters are cold. It doesn't make sense.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:09am On Jun 26, 2011
Nigerians should also try stone houses. This will be really cheap for peeps that live in Ogun and Akure. Stones/ rocks plenty for those locations

Nigeria dares not try this damnation!!

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:10am On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Nigerians should also try stone houses. This will be really cheap for peeps that live in Ogun and Akure. Stones/ rocks plenty for those locations

Stone houses for what? To keep the heat in? grin
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by dayokanu(m): 5:10am On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

This is my old appt complex, even this is too messy for me. I needed something more sophisticated.

Nigeria needs to up its standard before I go back home plz angry

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:11am On Jun 26, 2011
Why not use architecture inspired by the structures from our pre-colonial past?

Must we copy everything from the oyibos?

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:12am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

Stone houses for what? To keep the heat in?  grin

There's sth called windows and AC or fan. But those are just my suggestions.
If we have to continue with cement, then we need to upgrade our designs. Can't we make it look bricklike? I've seen that around my area.  undecided

Try bricks on one side of the house and cement on the other.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:13am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

Why not use architecture inspired by the structures from our pre-colonial past?

Must we copy everything from the oyibos?

Obviously, you have no taste whatsoever.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:14am On Jun 26, 2011
Do you see Asians making brick houses?  undecided

They use their traditional architecture techniques with a modern flavor.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:15am On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Obviously, you have no taste whatsoever.

Tufiakwa! I could never be married to you. I find your taste in quality lacking. . .
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

Do you see Asians making brick houses?  undecided

They use their traditional architecture techniques [size=14pt]with a modern flavor.
[/size]

Something Nigeria is lacking. What did you think the point of this thread was?; How to post pictures in under 1 min? angry
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:17am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

Tufiakwa! I could never be married to you. I find your taste in quality lacking. . .

Dudeeeee, you're the one that was just posting ant mounds. Talk about taste.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:22am On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Something Nigeria is lacking. What did you think the point of this thread was?; How to post pictures in under 1 min? angry

We do not need brick on stone houses. Do you want us to die of a heat stroke?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:24am On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Dudeeeee, you're the one that was just posting ant mounds. Talk about taste.

I am talking about using our traditional architecture to inspire new modern architecture. Do not be daft! angry
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:27am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

We do not need brick on stone houses. Do you want us to die of a heat stroke?

You dont have to. Some brick houses are also designed with woods/cements to allow the heat to radiate out. Florida is pretty hot (we're past 100 degs right now), but my house is made with brick. As of right now, no one has died of heat stroke. I understand that some houses may not have A/C, but large windows and fans might help with that area.

The house just needs to be well planned.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:28am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

I am talking about using our traditional architecture to inspire new modern architecture. Do not be daft! angry

Tread carefully, I've tried not to be rude.

So which traditional architection can be used to inspire modern ones? That ant hill you previously posted? What can it inspire?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:29am On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

BTW, this house still looks like a western architectural idea.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Outstrip(f): 5:30am On Jun 26, 2011
It does not have to be brick then. I forget the name of the material but it is just a "brick face" you can use to give your home the brick look. There are just too many options to explore. Especially in a place like Nigeria where there are so many natural resources.

I was watching a show on tv and they were showing condos in new mexico or so. I would never have thought they were condos. They basically made them look like something that came out of the mayan times or something like that. It definitely had that old mexican flare but was very modern. I think that is what you mean by modernizing out own traditional styles. I have also seen pictures of the north I really like those old fashioned looking homes. The look old but they scream history. I like that too.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:36am On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-Idi. . . Eeyan pataki ni e.

But you still make me angry. angry

I don't know about your people's traditional architecture, but the mud houses of the Igbo can be used as inspiration.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Outstrip(f): 5:36am On Jun 26, 2011
I just looked it up and those homes are called Pueblo style homes. They are very modern but definitely fot with the local culture. A house like that would look out of place in Chicago but beautiful in my opinion in the desert
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 5:40am On Jun 26, 2011
Outstrip:

I just looked it up and those homes are called Pueblo style homes. They are very modern but definitely fot with the local culture. A house like that would look out of place in Chicago but beautiful in my opinion in the desert

Very nice style!

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 26, 2011
Outstrip:

There's a lot of those houses in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. They're famous for their Native American heritage.

But I wouldn't touch those style with a 5000 miles pole. Maybe it's bcuz of the clay-like cement they used.

Too "hmm-hmmm" for me.

EzeUche!:

Ileke-Idi. . . Eeyan pataki ni e.

But you still make me angry.  angry

I don't know about your people's traditional architecture, but the mud houses of the Igbo can be used as inspiration.

Ugly. Dont see naything modern coming out of that. Well, that's just me.

So have we established that you have no taste whatsoever? Yes? Okay, case closed.  grin
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by kcjazz(m): 5:44am On Jun 26, 2011
Here is Kajuru Castle in Kaduna with a modern touch

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 26, 2011
kcjazz:

Here is Kajuru Castle in Kaduna with a modern touch

Which modern?

Looks like something from Harry Porter. Which part of the designs had Northern influence in it?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by queensmith: 7:00am On Jun 26, 2011
@ topis- when compared to british architecture? or what??

I very much prefer the normal layouts of Nigerian architecture to most countries which are dull and uninspiring.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by redsun(m): 7:55am On Jun 26, 2011
What makes nigerian buildings more disgusting are surroundings in which they are built,unpaved pavements,driveways and open drains.Nigerians spends millions building mansions in places that looks like landfill sites.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Pafuri(m): 8:01am On Jun 26, 2011
Why is Nigeria so unlnspiring? That is what I want to know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis / What Could Be The Cause Of Recent Fire Outbreaks? / abuja maps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.