Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,375 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? (39409 Views)

Construction Works On Units Of Flats (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 2:35pm On Jun 26, 2011
COMPAQ:

Is there ANYTHING in Nigeria that is inspiring

The original cultures that have spread to the whole world, but Nigerians want to eat their own vomit at the dining table.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by isuomo: 2:46pm On Jun 26, 2011
OAU Varsity museum is nice architecure in my opinion, it was opened in April.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Niflheim(m): 2:57pm On Jun 26, 2011
The answer to your question is so simple.Most architects abroad are members of the Freemasons Lodge and during their meetings,they travel to the spirit realm and converse with angelical beings who open their minds and bring out the spirit of creativity in them.If you do not believe me then study the life of Sir Christopher Wren who was not only one of Britain's greatest architects but also a member of the lodge.Then study the life of the ancient pharoah's aka the pyramid builders who started the AMORC movement and these Rosicrucians are linked to the masons.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by redsun(m): 3:05pm On Jun 26, 2011
Nigerians should learn to tap into the sunlight by using open glass roofs to light up buildings during the day.And when there is blackout at night as usual,moonlight can light up buildings with open glass roofs,even the bright stars that are quite common in nigeria can bring rays to dark dungeons
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Thirst4Lif: 3:21pm On Jun 26, 2011
Because Nigeria is living in the shadows of another country (the United States 90% of the time) in almost all areas of life.

This is a first! I've never heard of one country blaming another for their building designs.  grin

They're certainly better designs in other countries which could have been copied, so

clearly many Nigerians just have bad taste.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Natasha2(f): 4:19pm On Jun 26, 2011
well I know that there are countless talented architects in this country, who have a lot in their head, but the problem is how many people are ready to pay for architectural expenses? ''betta soup na money kill am'' there are a lot of things to consider when building an apartment, how many people even call geographers when they want to put up a structure? another BIG problem is the government, there's hardly any city plan any body just starts building any where.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EuroMeko(m): 4:34pm On Jun 26, 2011
As much as I love my house, I have no desire to have the same thing in Nigeria. It will be out of place and I much would prefer a more open space that will let both natural light and air come inside.

As far as the design of some of the structure sin Nigeria, I think this shed that I build with my own hands with my kids looks better than some of the lackluster buildings you Guys have shown in Nigeria.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Pennywise(m): 4:36pm On Jun 26, 2011
^^^
This is beautiful
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by bish2(m): 4:58pm On Jun 26, 2011
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

I guess most of you will agree with me dat we still have some nice designs (especially if you reside in Abuja).
Lets not be 2 hasty in bringing down other people's professions but rather encourage them.

Lets also remember that the climatic, economic and security conditions in Greece, UK and USA differs from that of Nigeria, therefore, you don't expect the use of some materials, tastes and designs you see there else most of you guys running your mouths like dirty waters would be orphans, widows/widowers, childless and sick by now.

Stop acting like kids from fustrated homes/families.

@ Poster, I wonder what you do for a living (if you have any) and what +ve influence your contributions has brought 2 your field.
See +vity rather than -vity. LOL
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by youngmonie: 6:09pm On Jun 26, 2011
There are some pretty decent ones in abj

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by aribisala0(m): 6:23pm On Jun 26, 2011
i think that's lovely but not "nigerian" we are yet to develop distinctive nigerian architecture

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 6:49pm On Jun 26, 2011

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 26, 2011
EuroMeko:

As much as I love my house, I have no desire to have the same thing in Nigeria. It will be out of place and I much would prefer a more open space that will let both natural light and air come inside.

As far as the design of some of the structure sin Nigeria, I think this shed that I build with my own hands with my kids looks better than some of the lackluster buildings you Guys have shown in Nigeria.

Thisis very simple and nice. I love the color of the stone/brick walls you used.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by OmoTier1(m): 6:55pm On Jun 26, 2011
Jbenue:

Its not just the style of the  housing alone, in nigeria most of our cities are dead in a ton planning sense, the city center in nigeria always looks disjointed there seems to be a lack of synergy in the ay different buildings relate to each other. There is always a roadwith no pavement what so ever boardered by Open drains(I never undrstood this concept). The buildings on the side of the road are either right up against the road making it crowded or to far from the road  creating a space for litter to accumalate. Furthermore why must there be a fence between every building? The cities would look so much better if there were shop terrises in ros rather than the disjointedness of individual buildings boardered by a cold fence. Nigerian architects, city planners and city planners have a lot of work to do if we are to catch up with the rest of the world.

I think your seemingly lack of exposure to several affuluent cities/towns in Nigeria is responsible for much of the views expressed in your postings.

What you fail to realize is that virtually all the cities in Nigeria have standard planning/layout in place and like most things, we are too strong headed to follow simple rules and regulations.

As for the issue of fencing, I fail to understand your point. Where I live in the UK, most of the houses -victorian era type- are fenced with either wires, flower hedges, bricks, or wood! Although here, it's more of privacy while in Nigeria it appears now to be more of the insecurity.

As for terracing of houses, really? terraced houses in a region where all year round the place is HOT with cases of excessive weather temperatures? I hope you are aware the primary reason houses are terraced -apart from the obliquness of the terrain- is to conserve HEAT in regions that often experience extreme cold weather.-This you would always be taught in your First year course in Architecture/Architecture  Engineering in Nigeria [Arch 104, if I can still recall]-
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 6:58pm On Jun 26, 2011
Let us improve our traditional architecture.

Mud houses are very cool inside. You do not have to worry about the harsh African Sun.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/Sx3dkFLN6rI/AAAAAAAAJws/VRNIvtM91No/s640/storeyhouses.jpg
[/img]
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

Let us improve our traditional architecture.

Mud houses are very cool inside. You do not have to worry about the harsh African Sun.

It depends on the area. You cant build that in Lekki.

We can expand the size of that mud house, modernize the design, and discard the mud/concrete being used.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 26, 2011
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by EzeUche1(m): 7:11pm On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI. . . Ba wo ni oremi. Ba wo lowa? Mos'aro e. . .

That being said, I like the simplicity of Africa's traditional structure.

I do not want to see a concrete jungle. Is that what we call progress? We need to improve on our traditional architecture, just like the Chinese, Indians and other groups.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 26, 2011
EzeUche!:

Ileke-IdI. . . Ba wo ni oremi. Ba wo lowa? Mos'aro e. . .

That being said, I like the simplicity of Africa's traditional structure.

I do not want to see a concrete jungle. Is that what we call progress? We need to improve on our traditional architecture, just like the Chinese, Indians and other groups.
Mo wa daada, e seun. lol

"ore mi" are two words, not one. Add "n" in "mo [b]n [/b]s'aro e" to make it a present tense. (i.e -ing). Past tense would be "mo [b]ti [/b]s'aro e".

Hope I helped with that.

Back to thread. . . .yea, I'd like to see us improve our traditional architecture. But it seems like our traditional architecture was a mixture of American/ European influence. Or how far back were you thinking? 1700s? 1800s?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Princek12(m): 7:35pm On Jun 26, 2011
I think the problem starts from architectural school. Our architects are not well trained, just like most of the graduates from other professional schools in Nigeria. Rote memorization of subject matter predominates over application, which leads to graduates who cannot think critically. Cheating is another issue. You have female graduates who sleep with professors in exchange for good grades, and male students who join cults so that they can intimidate professors into giving them good grades.

Even Nigeria has to bring engineers from Europe, USA, China, and even India just to do most of our construction. Our engineers cannot build bridges, railroads, etc. Chinese engineers are the ones constructing just about every complex infrastructure in Nigeria. We need a major overhaul. I know of an architect from the University of Benin who cannot even hold a pencil and a T square. He said he joined a cult and intimidated professors into giving him good grades.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Remii(m): 8:02pm On Jun 26, 2011
Inside of these "huts" are state of arts finihsed.

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Rgp92: 8:36pm On Jun 26, 2011
Remii:

Inside of these "huts" are state of arts finihsed.

Beautiful  cheesy. Which country is that nvm tongue
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by vladimiros: 8:55pm On Jun 26, 2011
i don`t know the point of this thread

lived in a abuja and i saw houses that made my jaw drop
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by kcjazz(m): 9:39pm On Jun 26, 2011
vladimiros:

[b]i don`t know the point of this thread[/b]lived in a abuja and i saw houses that made my jaw drop

I guess the idea is why are we not building according to our climate and resources. Plus some of the impressive architectures in Abuja like the National stadium were designed by foreigners.

But our biggest problem is our building codes are outdated. And thats where we need to start reform and then equip our architectural programs.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jun 26, 2011
Part of the answer to the title of this thread, lies in the unwillingness of Nigerians to accept criticism. This thread's title is very valid. Nigerians are amongst the most travelled in the world, fact. Yet, we don't combine what we've seen elsewhere, with a Nigerian flavour, to create something really breath taking. If we refuse to accept criticism, we won't move forward, and that applies to everything, not just architecture. Some people on this thread have just one answer, which is typical - "where d house whey your papa build?" "Where d house whey your mama build?" Or they just respond with verbal abuse. Is that the way forward? To improve on anything, criticism must be accepted.

I agree - a lot of Nigerian architecture leaves a lot to be desired. Sure, there are nice buildings, in affluent areas, but these are few and far between. Not everyone can afford to live in those lovely houses.

vladimiros:

i don`t know the point of this thread
lived in a abuja and i saw houses that made my jaw drop

The point of this thread is to share ideas - it's what forums / fora are all about.

Jaw-dropping houses in Abuja? True. But that's just one city in a large country. And how many people are fortunate enough to be able to afford living in these nice houses, or indeed in Abuja?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Remii(m): 10:32pm On Jun 26, 2011
Rgp92:

Beautiful cheesy. Which country is that nvm tongue

Obudu Ranch, Cross River State Nigeria
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Jbenue: 11:04pm On Jun 26, 2011
@Omo_Tier1
Omo_Tier1:

I think your seemingly lack of exposure to several affuluent cities/towns in Nigeria is responsible for much of the views expressed in your postings.

What you fail to realize is that virtually all the cities in Nigeria have standard planning/layout in place and like most things, we are too strong headed to follow simple rules and regulations.

As for the issue of fencing, I fail to understand your point. Where I live in the UK, most of the houses -victorian era type- are fenced with either wires, flower hedges, bricks, or wood! Although here, it's more of privacy while in Nigeria it appears now to be more of the insecurity.

As for terracing of houses, really? terraced houses in a region where all year round the place is HOT with cases of excessive weather temperatures? I hope you are aware the primary reason houses are terraced -apart from the obliquness of the terrain- is to conserve HEAT in regions that often experience extreme cold weather.-This you would always be taught in your First year course in Architecture/Architecture  Engineering in Nigeria [Arch 104, if I can still recall]-

Read My post again then read your reply and then ask yourself whether what you wrote really coresponds to What i said. I nevr said anything about residential units, I was strictly speaking on retail units in the city center and cbd. I never said anything about terraced housing I said terraced retail units or Blocks and heat has nothing to do with it. I have pics of what I mean. Please next time READ BEFORE YOU WRITE IT WILL SAVE ME THE TROUBLE OF WRITING POINTLESS REPLIES!!

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Jbenue: 11:09pm On Jun 26, 2011
^^^^^
Pic 2

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Jbenue: 11:16pm On Jun 26, 2011
WE tried here sha but its still a bit scatterd and cut and paste but by God's grace we will get there

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Salym(m): 11:33pm On Jun 26, 2011
hahahahahaha, wel thats how nigerians want their buildings. Nd we give em what they deserve. Up naija architects.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Ndipe(m): 11:55pm On Jun 26, 2011
Even if Nigerian houses were built by foreign architects there will still be criticism, so lets give it a rest. Besides, our houses are built to ensure security, for some part because of robbers. No, I like our architecture and prefer it to the UK that I find uninspiring.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by armyofone(m): 12:58am On Jun 27, 2011
i think the gates in nigeria homes uglifies them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Object-shaped Buildings From Around The World / School And Houses Destroyed By Erosion In Anambra State (Photos) / What Could Be The Cause Of Recent Fire Outbreaks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.