Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,541 members, 7,827,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? (39505 Views)

Construction Works On Units Of Flats (a New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by rabzy: 10:19am On Jun 29, 2011
The guy started out defending his architecture and took a position which i also share, but he totally messed up when he started talking off the hat about our whole civilization and culture system. I think he should just apologize on that and continue his defense of Nigerian architecture.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by tpia5: 2:26pm On Jun 29, 2011
I'll analyze paragonn's post later but it seems to me he's only doing the same thing as the thread starter and many posters here. Namely looking at particular issues from a negative viewpoint.

Why is it ok to rubbish nigerian architecture but not ok for him to also rubbish nigerian demagogy (dont know if this is the right word or even a word at all).

Yall had your fill badmouthing stuff but are jumping on him for doing the same.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 2:49pm On Jun 29, 2011
tpia@:

I'll analyze paragonn's post later but it seems to me he's only doing the same thing as the thread starter and many posters here. Namely looking at particular issues from a negative viewpoint.

Why is it ok to rubbish nigerian architecture but  not ok for him to also rubbish nigerian demagogy (dont know if this is the right word or even a word at all).

Yall had your fill badmouthing stuff but are jumping on him for doing the same.

Uhm, architecture is mainly about your own taste, saying that Africans had no astronomy and architecture before Brazilians came 150 years ago is stupid.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by tpia5: 3:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
And rubbishing nigerian architecture is not s.tupid?

You are bashing an entire profesion, nothing to do with "your own taste" per se.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by jampro123(m): 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2011
All these people making silly comments here about Nigerian Architecture donot know what it takes to build a house.
If you have built a house before with honest money not some stolen money you wont come here to say this. Anyway the house is it is not easy at all. Nigeria is a country where the scost of building a two bedroom bungalow alone will cost you around £36000 or even more. Is it easy to come across such cash. Abeg my brother if you dont like it go and build your own and show us example.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by aribisala0(m): 4:59pm On Jun 29, 2011
that people see the world differently doesn't make them silly and you smart.

but while you are concerned with cost some are just concerned with seeing or learning more about indigenous building technology and design. a theoretical perspective .

some people are discussing from an abstract aesthetic perspective not a practical one. at any rate i daresay you will get less for your £36000 pounds in nigeria than most plces.
door handles taps,doors ,toilet flushers etc never last.
if you believe others are silly and you know all you shut out a lot of useful and(useless grin grin) stuff
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by ezeagu(m): 6:08pm On Jun 29, 2011
tpia@:

And rubbishing nigerian architecture is not s.tupid?

You are bashing an entire profesion, nothing to do with "your own taste" per se.

This is not one of those your irrelevant arguments when you can make some sort of sense. You can't compare not knowing history to having a personal taste.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by paragonpro: 6:14pm On Jun 29, 2011
I seem to have stirred the hornet's nest here. I must apologize for slightly derailing the topic at hand, but i see the subject of architecture connected to all other aspect of life as an African.

Also i must confess i might have sounded too negative in comparing our civilization to others, it was unintended, i am one of the proudest African you will ever find.

I must commend everyone responding to my post for being very civil because these issues can easily inflame passions and degenerate to insults. I had learnt a few thing along the way, as nobody has monopoly of knowledge, we should all learn from each other.

Now let me state my position:-
I am a student of civilizations (but i must concede that my study of African civilizations especially sub-saharan Africa is limited. Having said that my position is still very consistent.

All civilizations starts out primitive (no puns intended), what i mean primitive is that Language, Arts, Architecture, Writing, Poetry, technology, sociology, etc, starts out rudimentary, But as the society evolves these things get more complex and advance. Each society evolves at its own rate. But usually a more advanced society assimilates a less advanced one and the latter either incorporates some elements of the more advanced society of abandons all its own altogether. Sub- Saharan Africa is at the danger of abandoning all its civilization and embracing western civilization hook, line and sinker. That is why anybody who has lived in a western capital for a few months or have seen some hollywood movies would disparage every thing indigenous, including Architecture, religion, fashion, etc. Most of them forget that they left their villages only a few years back.

I am not denigrating pre-colonial Architecture, Arts, Poetry, religion or even technology, What I am saying is that in comparison to western or oriental civilizations, we are still a few thousand years behind and we can not be expected to catch up instantly. I hate it when someone denigrates our Architecture or Culture.

The form of writing found in indigenous Africa was similar to what was found in Babylon or Egypt over 4000 years ago,it was also the form of writing found in Aztec and Britain in  pre-Roman times.  Same for Architecture, Arts, Language and even technology. These societies were building Triangular towers(like those posted by ezeagu, more than 5000 yrs ago.

AS further example, Europe experienced a technological revolution about 300yrs ago, US experienced it not long after, Japan only experienced it about 60yrs ago, China only experienced it about 20yrs. So let us also come to the realization that we cannot be expected to catch up technologically  with Europe over night.  Because we are not technologically as advance as Europe or China does not make me feel less important, it should spur me and other Nigerians into looking into our technological challenges and attempt to resolve it, instead of disparaging it and comparing it to others. That is why i said you have to learn to crawl before you can learn to fly.  

I do apologize once more for derailing the thread.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by tpia5: 6:54pm On Jun 29, 2011
ezeagu:

This is not one of those your irrelevant arguments when you can make some sort of sense. You can't compare not knowing history to having a personal taste.

explain why you think it's ok to rubbish an entire profession because of your personal prejudices.

are you aware nigerian architecture doesnt consist of only nigerian professionals?

would that make you have a rethink before you bash?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by rabzy: 3:34pm On Jul 01, 2011
^^^^ make we bone all these digressions and talk about the matter that really matters to this thread, sheathe your swords guyz,
paragro don settle things. I concur with what he said above.

I think necessity has not made us be more adventurous and inventive over the centuries, and the desert seperated us from the centre where things where so much advancement in many fields were being made.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by olochemarty: 3:18pm On Mar 07, 2012
We in nigeria lack an idenfiable trend or school of taught maybe like the barhaus in germany or the dutch avant garde. This School of taughts were responsible for the introduction of architecture in Europe that we admire to this very day. The NIA (Nigeria institutes of Architects) should take the first step as it is done in order places. thanks cool
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by topup: 8:33pm On May 09, 2012
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this post, have also loved the opinions, I'm not advertising, but I'd like to mention my blog really talks about these issues in depth and I would love it if you wouldn't mind me using some of your topics for discussion, possibly quoting a few, and if you are interested in writing an article I'd really like that.

You can find the blog link on my profile, otherwise googling Nigerian Architecture should get you there.

Thanks
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Crayola1: 3:01am On Jul 07, 2012
Bump smiley
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by topup: 1:48am On Sep 30, 2012
I hate to stir up anything, but this debate is so inspiring, I think things only get better when people do complain, and stop settling for less. The reason for the majority of these houses being built is because many of our designers are narrow minded, this might not be all their fault, your schooling does have a lot to do with it, if you're rewarded for doing American style houses, guess what! You will always do American style houses.

I agree, looking back in our history, we have left everything behind. Now Europeans and Americans (the very styles we try to emulate) are actually looking to Asian and Africa for ways of making their homes sustainable and environmentally friendly.

I have a blog here http://nigerianarchitecture..com, where I do talk about Nigerian Architecture, my hope is to inspire people, agitate some people but start discourse on the subject. We need to talk about it, not let the majority win everything.

Someone said that we spend million building mansions in dump sites, or next to shanty towns. What Nigeria needs is infrastructure and not to be ashamed of their past. Mud huts are NOT to be looked down upon, they are GENIUS! They are great for keeping our homes cool (wasting gas on powering generators to power air conditioning units!! undecided, the materials is natural, plentiful, affordable, renewable, sustainable, versatile, creative, easy to use.. what more do we want!!

Please check out my blog if you are fed up of putting up with American mansion villas as the solution to our urban problems, visit my blog if you like to think outside of this hot and humid box, click/copy the link if you want to be proud of Nigerian architecture.

Thanks for reading.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by sixtus4: 5:48am On Nov 24, 2012
Our problem is that we always try to copy the western design,without knowing that we don't have the same weather.
Temperature determines the amount of ventilation,that is needed.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Handex(m): 10:43am On Nov 25, 2012
For structural design, stamping & seal that is needed for approval

Engr. Andrew Ezekwe (MNSE, C.Eng)
Handex Engineering Ltd
Tel: 08035831232; 08051389315
Email: handexengltd@yahoo.com
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by TLore(m): 8:00pm On Feb 02, 2013
Architecture Student here. Spent 3 years in UNILAG engineering, now in UNILAG Architecture 100L. Why? Hated engineering.

I'll read all that has been said after posting this, so bear with me.

There needs to be a revolution. It's not the schools, I think. I'm in a class with a lot of bright minds. I think it's more or less because everyone out there in this country are mostly looking for something generic, or just a building so they can go about their business, maybe so they have to spend less, it's more or less the same state as Nigerian Soundtracks. Filmmakers are less willing to meet Don Jazzy for a soundtrack that costs 35K and would prefer to meet a JJC who just learnt music production who is willing to do it for 3K or less... but I digress.

I heard about an oyinbo architect that designed a mad building for a bank, and the reaction was "What the hell is this rubbish? Mo o fe kini yii o!" He had to tone down the design before they agreed.

All the same, Rome wasn't built in a day. I will never stop believing in this country. Little by little, the mentality of people is changing. I believe that in the nearest future, Nigerian architects will have the freedom to truly express their innovation. Afterall, look at some of GT Bank's designs. It could be better, but it's an attempt, and I applaud them.

tl;dr version: Nigeria has a lot of intelligent and bright minds. The problem is freedom of expression, methinks.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by dReview: 6:54pm On Feb 10, 2013
I find this topic very very interesting. I believe it deserves further investigated. I have so far been personally agreed with this post, as an architect. Why I agree with it is because the architectural trends or artifacts 'made-in-Nigeria' that deserve international mention are in the hands of just a few prominent architects while the grand mass of architects linger in the shadow. Consequence An uninspiring overflow of copy-copy proVictorian architecture that testifies a general lack of inspiration or laxity towards creativity.
This opinion has nothing to do with our architectural heritage which is rich, starting from the indigene architecture to the which also deserves to be more accurately documented and shared amongst us operators in the construction world. Whether uninspiring or inspiring, one fact is sure: the Nigerian architecture is on the making. The counterposed opinions registered in this blog thread shows that we are on the right direction.
To document and share the Nigerian experience I found dReview (www.d-review.net). It is a newsletter on architecture and arts in Nigeria, at it's #4. It is composed of an editorial, an interview, three articles on Nigerian architecture and one window one the international world. While foreign practices are happy to supply their projects, no matter how big, for publication in dReview, we find it hard to retrieve projects from Nigerian architects.
In case of projects, writeUps and\or topics you think should be published in dReview please contact review@dreview.net
We are looking for architects\journalists that can write reviews on nigerian projects also.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Sagewood: 6:02am On Feb 11, 2013
Ihebrooke appears to have distinguished himself. Checkout his designs!
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by TLore(m): 4:48am On Mar 16, 2013
Sagewood: Ihebrooke appears to have distinguished himself. Checkout his designs!

Link abeg! Or post some pics.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Sagewood: 6:48am On Mar 16, 2013
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2013
Ileke-IdI:

You dont have to. Some brick houses are also designed with woods/cements to allow the heat to radiate out. Florida is pretty hot (we're past 100 degs right now), but my house is made with brick. As of right now, no one has died of heat stroke. I understand that some houses may not have A/C, but large windows and fans might help with that area.

The house just needs to be well planned.

I agree.

For some reason our people seem to think that Nigeria has a unique weather system.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by nulohomes(m): 4:59pm On May 15, 2015
I think simply because we do not have a design or creative process. We just duplicate and build .
we at nulohomes are trying to change that. Check out our designs at www.nulohomes.com

3d printing 3d renders animation and architectural model making!
at nulohomes.com we do all of the above and more
Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by BilginMuh(m): 2:35pm On Jan 29, 2016
Hello,

l am not Nigerian; l am Turkish; Please donot get angry to me; l travel too much in Nigeria and did some works; discuss with some Nigerian friends. My opinion is this:

Architecture is a mirror of that societies life style. There some some reasons which we see in Nigeria: Especially the income, life style differecy between citizen. Same as all countries. Bud Country as Nigeria or other colony countries; Foreign Lords has gone, but resident Land Lords created.

Last years, l saw apartments. That means middle income citizen class is growing.

But, the city should grow with all ways like houses, official buildings, shopping malls, roads, public areas. Not only buildings.

For example; Lekki Express Way mistakes: There are very very big roundabouts. True urban solution is dive and pass systems. There are no enough pedesterian crosswalk ways never from up or underground. There is some one or two which has no solution for impaired people who cant see, who cant walk. This sample shows how government or minucipilate respects the people.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 29, 2016
BilginMuh:
Hello,

l am not Nigerian; l am Turkish; Please donot get angry to me; l travel too much in Nigeria and did some works; discuss with some Nigerian friends. My opinion is this:

Architecture is a mirror of that societies life style. There some some reasons which we see in Nigeria: Especially the income, life style differecy between citizen. Same as all countries. Bud Country as Nigeria or other colony countries; Foreign Lords has gone, but resident Land Lords created.

Last years, l saw apartments. That means middle income citizen class is growing.

But, the city should grow with all ways like houses, official buildings, shopping malls, roads, public areas. Not only buildings.

For example; Lekki Express Way mistakes: There are very very big roundabouts. True urban solution is dive and pass systems. There are no enough pedesterian crosswalk ways never from up or underground. There is some one or two which has no solution for impaired people who cant see, who cant walk. This sample shows how government or minucipilate respects the people.

You speak the truth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Could Be The Cause Of Recent Fire Outbreaks? / Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis / abuja maps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.