Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,337 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. (1288 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / Questions About Nigerian Culture And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by ZimAngel: 8:17am On Jun 26, 2011
My baby sister recently got married to a Naija. I don't agree with the marriage but I've decided to be supportive and be there for her. I want to learn about the culture I hear a lot of things not sure what's true of false.

1. Is it true naija men cook for their wives, this is unheard of in Zimbabwe. The wife cooks everyday.
2. Is it true a woman is not to use her own money in the house, the naija husband will pay for everything.
3. Is it true polygamy is widespread and accepted in naija?
4. Is it true naija women are cut down below on their private parts, Zim girls pull their labia to elongate them I hear naija girls cut them off shocked

I am trying to understand because my sisters hubby is not doing some things I hear are standard for naija men.
Re: Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by Mynd44: 9:30am On Jun 26, 2011
Did your mum not teach never to beleive everything you see on T.V? And holdup i thought you said you were against the marriage before what changed your mind?
Re: Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by Mynd44: 9:34am On Jun 26, 2011
And before you accuse me of BADBELLEISM, here are your answers
1 No the wife generally cooks
2 The husband is the provider except for extreme cases
3 No it is not generally accepted
4 Which century are you living in?
Re: Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by Afam4eva(m): 10:20am On Jun 26, 2011
Which tribe is your sister's husband from?
Re: Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by 677ano(m): 10:52am On Jun 26, 2011
ZimAngel:

My baby sister recently got married to a Naija. I don't agree with the marriage but I've decided to be supportive and be there for her. I want to learn about the culture I hear a lot of things not sure what's true of false.

1. Is it true naija men cook for their wives, this is unheard of in Zimbabwe. The wife cooks everyday.
2. Is it true a woman is not to use her own money in the house, the naija husband will pay for everything.
3. Is it true polygamy is widespread and accepted in naija?
4. Is it true naija women are cut down below on their private parts, Zim girls pull their labia to elongate them I hear naija girls cut them off shocked

I am trying to understand because my sisters hubby is not doing some things I hear are standard for naija men.

To get the right answers to your question specify your sister husband tribe and state in Nigeria
Nigerians have various tribes and cultures or better still visit their country to learn first hand
Re: Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by ZimAngel: 12:25pm On Jun 26, 2011
Thanks guys have never asked what tribe he's from. I will find out. I haven't got a clue.

But this also what I hear from my mates who married and dated naijaz.

Mynd_44:

Did your mum not teach never to beleive everything you see on T.V? And holdup i thought you said you were against the marriage before what changed your mind?

I changed my mind coz I realized I will lose my sister if I carried on the way I was, her husband told her I was jealous and she started to believe it even stopped answering my calls. So I decided to just let it all go and just be there 4 her. Let her learn from her own mistakes.
Re: Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by MrsChima(f): 1:03pm On Jun 26, 2011
ZimAngel:

Thanks guys have never asked what tribe he's from. I will find out. I haven't got a clue.

But this also what I hear from my mates who married and dated naijaz.

I changed my mind coz I realized I will lose my sister if I carried on the way I was, her husband told her I was jealous and she started to believe it even stopped answering my calls. So I decided to just let it all go and just be there 4 her. Let her learn from her own mistakes.

That's the best thing you can do just be there for your sister. SOME people when they are desperate they will accept anything even knowing the person isn't for them. I am not saying YOUR SISTER specifically is desperate but her actions are desperado.

It is uncommon for Nigerian men not to provide for their family especially in the culture which they are reared from. The wives usually the home makers and often work if the husband's income isn't sufficient or unable to obtain a second job.

Depending on how long he has been without work could factor why he isn't working but if he screaming that he is the KING and are not earning his keep he isn't a real man. No offense.
Re: Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by Afam4eva(m): 1:04pm On Jun 26, 2011
What's your husband's native name and surname. With that we'll know where he's from.
Re: Want To Know About Nigerian Culture. by 2goodbobo(m): 1:41pm On Jun 26, 2011
Due to the generality of your question,i wont be able to provide you with an answer cos Nija is a country with diverse cultures. try and come up with his religion,name and the state he comes from and then we'll advise you accordingly.

(1) (Reply)

Could This Be The Darkest Baby Ever Born? / Live At The Benin Oba Palace Igue Festival Celebration (photos) / If Truly You Are Olden Days Pikin Then You'll Know These[pics]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.