Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,128 members, 7,863,929 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:09 AM

Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings (11554 Views)

Labour Fumes As FG Stops N35,000 Award Payment / Subsidy: Labour Leaders Walk Out Of Aso Rock Meeting, Accuse FG Of Deceit / Lagos Governmenr Urges Calm, Warns Against Fresh Protests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Dreal1247: 11:13am On Feb 22, 2022
Say no to subsidy. THE REFINERIES MUST BE FUNCTIONAL

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Nobody: 11:14am On Feb 22, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

They have borrowed and borrowed and borrowed but nothing really practical to show for it..
My condolence goes to Nigerians in Nigeria In advance..I hope you guys fight for your right not just sit and watch your so called leaders toy with your country's future..

They are borrowing , in part, because you guys want cheap fuel

In 2020, LANDING cost of fuel, at the height of covid was N120-125 per liter. Now, that landing cost is N282....AND rising.

Meanwhile, fuel pump price has gone up from N124 per liter at covid to N163 now.

Government has to pay the difference between N282 and N163 to ensure fuel stays at N163.

And that's where the money that would have built refinereis goes to...subsidy...to keeping the petroluem industry from collapsing.

And as the cost rises, the money will come from other sectors of the budget...so we have to take loans to make up for it.

Ten years ago, we ran through our earnings and our forex reserves to pay for the same subsidy.

See the problem. ?

There is no such thing as cheap fuel.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:15am On Feb 22, 2022
backbencher:

They are borrowing , in part, because you guys want cheap fuel

In 2020, LANDING cost of fuel, at the height of covid was N120-125 per liter. Now, that landing cost is N282....AND rising.

Meanwhile, fuel pump price has gone up from N124 per liter at covid to N163 now.

Government has to pay the difference between N282 and N163 to ensure fuel stays at N163.

And that's where the money that would have built refinereis goes to...subsidy...to keeping the petroluem industry from collapsing.

And as the cost rises, the money will come from other sectors of the budget...so we have to take loans to make up for it.

Ten years ago, we ran through our earnings and our forex reserves to pay for the same subsidy.

See the problem. ?

There is no such thing as cheap fuel.
You are a funny boy seriously.. cheesy
What concern fuel with borrowing unnecessarily?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:17am On Feb 22, 2022
Help2020:

Your condolence should go to all Nigerians including you. Do you really think you can stay in another man's land for ever?
Nigerians in Nigeria.... cheesy
You folks are responsible for what's going on in your country..
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Brownshoe: 11:18am On Feb 22, 2022
DannyXpress:
I just have one question

Who is going to repay all these loans back after this man leaves office...?
i will
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by backnbeta(f): 11:18am On Feb 22, 2022
Wareva
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by LivingTribunal: 11:19am On Feb 22, 2022
treesun:
According to the bank, central bank financing and fuel subsidy regime tend to adversely affect investments in human and physical capital.
Keep borrowing, don't stop Buhari
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 22, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

You are a funny boy seriously.. cheesy
What concern fuel with borrowing unnecessarily?

Basically, as the cost of refining fuel increases, the cost of subsiding it increases.(In June 2021, landing cost was N232, now it is N282, and rising)

Meaning government has to find money to pay for the subsides, meaning that the money would come from other parts of the budget. Money meant for say health, education sports, etc...would now be spent on subsides.

Meaning government has to take loans to replace the money taken from health, education, infrastructure, etc....to fund subsides.

It's that simple.

And because the subsidy money just covers the losses in the petroluem industry, it does not leave much for new refinereis, or repairing exisiting ones, which is how we lost our old refineries in the first place

Simples, old bird.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Lovenorth: 11:24am On Feb 22, 2022
Useless IMF
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 22, 2022
Dreal1247:
Say no to subsidy. THE REFINERIES MUST BE FUNCTIONAL

Yes, by removing the subsidy, the industry would be able to make the money needed to make the refineries functional and working.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Lovenorth: 11:28am On Feb 22, 2022
backbencher:

Basically, as the cost of refining fuel increases, the cost of subsiding it increases.(In June 2021, landing cost was N232, now it is N282, and rising)

Meaning government has to find money to pay for the subsides, meaning that the money would come from other parts of the budget. Money meant for say health, education sports, etc...would now be spent on subsides.

Meaning government has to take loans to replace the money taken from health, education, infrastructure, etc....to fund subsides.

It's that simple.

And because the subsidy money just covers the losses in the petroluem industry, it does not leave much for new refinereis, or repairing exisiting ones, which is how we lost our old refineries in the first place

Simples, old bird.
They shouldn't have been complaining when the price was too low based on your theory
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by spy24(m): 11:28am On Feb 22, 2022
Me I don't know why the masses are insisting on this fuel subsidy sef

Let's just let this thing go we will survive it
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:28am On Feb 22, 2022
backbencher:

It's that simple.

Simples, old bird.
Ok it's your country so that's your issue..
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 22, 2022
Lovenorth:

They shouldn't have been complaining when the price was too low based on your theory

Well, when oil prices were low in 2020, subsidy was no longer paid, and the fuel was allowed to run accroding to the market...meaning that fuel cost N124 when the price of one barrel of oil was $24

But at the end, the problem was that government was not earning enough money in the first place....so it was easy to stop paying subsides. But our loan taking and so forth continued...because oil prices were to low..to pay for subsides and everything else.

And now that oil prices are rising..we have to pay for all the loans we took

There is a reason why I don't back APC or PDP....and the reason is lack of diversification.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 22, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Ok it's your country so that's your issue..

So,you should have no issue if subsidy goes.

Price controls...which is what subsidy entails...is a nice idea...but at the end you have to pay everyone involved in bringing that liter of fuel to you...and subsidy means you shortchange everyone in the name of 'cheap fuel for the poor'

As much as i don't like Bubu, GEJ or any of the past leadership, if any one of them had removed subsides, I would have been happy with them for that.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:35am On Feb 22, 2022
backbencher:

So,you should have no issue if subsidy goes.

Price controls...which is what subsidy entails...is a nice idea...but at the end you have to pay everyone involved in bringing that liter of fuel to you...and subsidy means you shortchange everyone in the name of 'cheap fuel for the poor'

As much as i don't like Bubu, GEJ or any of the past leadership, if any one of them had removed subsides, I would have been happy with them for that.
Seems you are smart..you should tell your present president this thing here..
Take care of your country..
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Help2020: 11:36am On Feb 22, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Nigerians in Nigeria.... cheesy
You folks are responsible for what's going on in your country..
Dude,I probably left Nigeria before you. Left 2013
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:38am On Feb 22, 2022
Help2020:

Dude,I probably left Nigeria before you. Left 2013
Haha that's not even up to 30yrs tho.. cheesy
Well since you ain't in Nigeria then no issue..go Back to Nigeria and develop it if you are concerned a lot..
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2022
Fairmedia:

Pity yourself fool...die there mumu slave.
Keep enjoying your country.. wink

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Help2020: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Haha that's not even up to 30yrs tho.. cheesy
Well since you ain't in Nigeria then no issue..go Back to Nigeria and develop it if you are concerned a lot..
For sure. 90percent of my investment are in Nigeria.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Seems you are smart..you should tell your present president this thing here..
Take care of your country..

Our leaders know, but most Nigerians don't want subsidy gone. (So also, did Buhari, until his eyes were opened by Kalichukwu and Emefiele in 2015)

Many Nigerians are so pro-subsidy that even if you explained and explained...like I do on this site...they will accuse you of harming the poor.

So, subsidy stays because most people want it.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:41am On Feb 22, 2022
Help2020:

For sure. 90percent of my investment are in Nigeria.
Then why are you not in Nigeria?
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by clothingonline(m): 11:41am On Feb 22, 2022
Let them give me 5b Naira from the borrowing so I won’t bother about news again
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:41am On Feb 22, 2022
backbencher:

Our leaders know, but most Nigerians don't want subsidy gone. (So also, did Buhari, until his eyes were opened by Kalichukwu and Emefiele in 2015)

Many Nigerians are so pro-subsidy that even if you explained and explained...like I do on this site...they will accuse you of harming the poor.

So, subsidy stays because most people want it.
I really hope you guys find a solution to your problems cos it's getting too much..
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by FERNANDEZISBACK: 11:42am On Feb 22, 2022
Fairmedia:

Die there, no one wants a dumb immigrant here, you are a waste.
You don't need to tell me.. kiss kiss
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Enemyofpeace: 11:44am On Feb 22, 2022
Buhari don finish Nigeria completely, I pity the next government and the unborn generations
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 22, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

You don't need to tell me.. kiss kiss
An immigrant doing menial jobs abroad is insignificant...live your small life there. We need inventors, business men, industrialists, enterpreneurs here to grow this economy. Stop feeling fly over minimum wage.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Labour Fumes As IMF Warns FG Against Fresh Borrowings by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 22, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

I really hope you guys find a solution to your problems cos it's getting too much..

You should run for office.You have the answers now. We would vote for you.

Good morning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Inflation To Fall In 2024 — CBN Governor, Cardoso / Nigerian Students 'Trash' Embassy In Moscow Over Grants / Tinubu Daughter, Zainab Tinubu Has Mental Disorder. In Jail. Gistlover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.