Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,184 members, 7,842,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? (10890 Views)

Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. / Pls Advice Me, My Parents Do Not Approve My Proposed Marriage Plans. / Funny Things Parents' Do That Makes You Chuckle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by eldee(m): 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sagamite:

Who gives a hoot what you care about?  grin

You see me putting a gun to anyone's head not to raise their kids the way they see fit? undecided

Why don't you report me to Amnesty International!

You don't care what I think about, then stop giving me what you read from 'Childraising for dummies' . . . I don't care bout it. grin grin
I can't report you to Amnesty International. . . again, I don't care bout how you choose to raise your kids.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by banging11: 6:26pm On Jun 27, 2011
u dey mad guy
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by coogar: 6:27pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sagamite:

I think you make some fundamental errors there.

1. From my knowledge of Nigeria, it is the norm that the amount you pay does not necessarily reflect the quality you get.

not with the kind of money involved. a child raised in an expensive private school will have more quality than his counterpart in a public school in nigeria.

2. You are assuming the more you pay in Nigeria, the more likely your ward will succeed. Where are all those kids that paid a fortune back in the day to attend the posh schools (Crisland, Atlantic Hall, Adesoye College, Bells etc). Are they the most successful kids nowadays? Not the ones I have seen sha.

after few years, all these schools declined in quality. . . .they all started well but the maintenance quality suffered. the first few sets of students that attended all these schools were better than their counterparts in igbobi college or st. finbarrs'. even if they aren't the most successful kids, they keep a strong alumni association that still puts them through in job searching and other stuffs. something you will rarely find in the other divide.

3. You need to understand how most kids of high-powered Nigerians end up. The ones from the North especially. A significant number are just coke heads. I wouldn't want my kids networking with such, my work is hard enough.

the ones i have met are extremely successful. the moment they finish their degree programme abroad, they all travel back to nigeria for mouth-watering jobs. i have never found any hausa bloke in the uk hustling like normal nigerians. . . .they are powerfully connected. granted, you might find the strays who chose to use drugs and other vices but majority of them are back in nigeria heading conglomerates and industries - the kind of friends you need in nigeria.

4. Considering the calibre of people that can afford such in Nigeria, I would not want my kids mixing with kids of criminals that the values they can only offer their kids is the knowledge that stealing is the key to riches. I want my kids to value hard work and its rewards.

the funniest bit is majority of "these kids" don't always share the idealism of their parents. some of them were shipped abroad at a very young age, schooled abroad all their lives and have no idea of what their dad does until they read about them in the papers. that a man is criminal does not make his kids criminal. . . .

5. Money is not my driving factor in child rearing, it is values and character. If they learn that, I am fine. That will get you places in most places in the world not only chaotic Nigeria.

in nigeria, without money there is no value. where are you going to find value without putting some amount of green uns on education?

I will never spend that on a toddler except if there is a case for security reasons.

Wetin them wan teach am for nursery except ABC, to eat cookies, drink milk and poo in a bucket (abi wetin dem they call that child toilet)?

apart from security reasons. . . .there are other far greater issues. things you will only see if you have stayed in nigeria before. . . .
even in the developed world, what kind of kids do you think attend eton? how do you think eton choose the kind of students they admit in their college? don't they use a quota to choose the brightest students from a specially selected private schools in the uk?
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 6:27pm On Jun 27, 2011
eldee:

So basically, you have no objections to my opinion that people should be allowed to choose the best way to raise their kids, you just wanted to strike your keyboard because you saw Eldee on the thread?? Right decision.

And err . . . I follow 'herd philosophy' because I think people have rights to deviate from societal norms on what counts as good parenting?? Interesting.

Anyway . . . 'Thinking outside the box' is not a 'buzz-word'. You'll prolly have learnt that if you went to a 800k a year nursery. tongue tongue

What I asked you was to "Show me where I called for anyone's head or I made it/said it was the most important factor".

1. If you are wrong with your opinions, I will correct you. Correcting you does not mean I am denying you your "rights". Didn't you study law?

2. "Herd mentality" basically equates to "norm" and definitely not "independent" thinking. Surely that N800K spent on your nursery education was a waste in terms of the English language . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .and law. Proof I am usually right. grin

3.  Definition of a Buzz word: "a word or phrase, often sounding authoritative or technical, that is a vogue term in a particular profession, field of study, popular culture, etc". Thinking outside the box is a technical word used in vogue in a lot of fields like law, consulting, academia and the intellectual cliques, so it is a buzzword. If one is not in the clique, they wouldn't know. I know this and I am in the clique despite my talika nursery which I paid peanuts for. grin

eldee:

You don't care what I think about, then stop giving me what you read from 'Childraising for dummies' . . . I don't care bout it. grin grin
I can't report you to Amnesty International. . . again, I don't care bout how you choose to raise your kids.

Choose not to care at your own risk. I am virtually always right! grin
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 6:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
coogar:

not with the kind of money involved. a child raised in an expensive private school will have more quality than his counterpart in a public school in nigeria.

You will be mad to send your kids to a lot of public schools in Nigeria so that is not necessarily what one is referring to.

But I will not waste so much money on a toddler by sending them to a school that charges that much for nursery.

coogar:

after few years, all these schools declined in quality. . . .they all started well but the maintenance quality suffered. the first few sets of students that attended all these schools were better than their counterparts in igbobi college or st. finbarrs'. even if they aren't the most successful kids, they keep a strong alumni association that still puts them through in job searching and other stuffs. something you will rarely find in the other divide.

Same applies here. Definitely not the likes of Igbobi and Finbarrs if you can avoid it.

Nothing really came of those that graduated in those schools when the schools were in their prime. All the kids knew was to show-off and speak with a stewpid western accent like if they were not Nigerians. I ain't hating! grin

coogar:

the ones i have met were extremely successful. the moment they finish their degree programme abroad, they all travel back to nigeria for mouth-watering jobs. i have never found any hausa bloke in the uk hustling like normal nigerians. . . .they are powerfully connected. granted, you might find the strays who chose to use drugs and other vices but majority of them are back in nigeria heading conglomerates and industries - the kind of friends you need in nigeria.

Mate, I don't see them in UK being tremendously successful. Maybe they can be in Nigeria because of daddy or mummy's leg.

Hausa kids don't hustle in London, but a lot of them I have not heard of working in great jobs or more often working at all. Maybe they are being sent money or they go to Nigeria for some "contract" work from time to time and come and spend it in London including for a coke/weed habit. I don't want to teach my kids such qualities.

No doubt, you might need them in Nigeria as you said.

coogar:

the funniest bit is majority of "these kids" don't always share the idealism of their parents. some of them were shipped abroad at a very young age, schooled abroad all their lives and have no idea of what their dad does until they read about them in the papers. that a man is criminal does not make his kids criminal. . . .

You are right about that. But we were talking about over-paying in Nigeria.

coogar:

in nigeria, without money there is no value. where are you going to find value without putting some amount of green uns on education?

I hope that is not the future of Naija.

coogar:

apart from security reasons. . . .there are other far greater issues. things you will only see if you have stayed in nigeria before. . . .
even in the developed world, what kind of kids do you think attend eton? how do you think eton choose the kind of students they admit in their college? don't they use a quota to choose the brightest students from a specially selected private schools in the uk?

You might be right. I don't live in Naija that is why I asked to learn.

I don't want to have an Eton kid. It is one of  my worst nightmares. I would rather have a kid like gymguy: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-700084.0.html#msg8599616
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jun 27, 2011
coogar:

Disagree. Nigeria, unfortunately is one of those places where the money you pay for a service does not always correlate to the quality you get. Everything with very limited exceptions in Nigeria is about class and social standing.

Also wrong, same can be said of the Alumni of KC, GCI, QC, Baptist Boys etc all government schools

the ones i have met were extremely successful. the moment they finish their degree programme abroad, they all travel back to nigeria for mouth-watering jobs. i have never found any hausa bloke in the uk hustling like normal nigerians. . . .they are powerfully connected. granted, you might find the strays who chose to use drugs and other vices but majority of them are back in nigeria heading conglomerates and industries - the kind of friends you need in nigeria.

Does not apply just to Nigeria. This is the preserve of the rich globally.

Really?! The kid is not a criminal but he's happy to share/enjoy perks of their criminal parents  

Agree completely

Wrong assertion here again. Unless you can tell me why the olodo prince Harry got into Eton? Heck, dude even repeated a class. You'll find that Eton is just a place for the wards of the rich to continue in their paraponess  grin
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
fxtopedia:

@OP: Nice one
@Sagamite: Nice contributions, in fact, thump up!

This articles reminds me of several years ago when I had to struggle right from primary 5 in the early 80's to buy some materials I needed to keep my academic pursuit intact. It was not easy at all then. If it took the miracle of God and 7up company for me to pay for G2 and Common Entrance which was #19 but later increased to #21 because of late registration! But lo and behold I won #25  during 7up promo which afforded me to make payment for the exams.

Time and space will fail me to elucidate all the ODDS I went through. I was learning MECHANIC after G2 N Common Entrance. It took help from God for me to join my classmate in secondary school. After  SSCE, I was persuaded to join Nigerian Army against my wish again. But I was dropped because of Blood-pressure(too low to join them).

With all these experience, I had to start TUTORIAL when I gained admission to the Polytechnic. Of a truth, it was my source of income through out my Poly days, I had to  do same ''job'' during my University days too. Even while sitting for professional exams(ICAN N CIBN), without attending any lecture, I had to start TUTORIAL through which I made all payment for the exams fees.

I am not a genius, so never think in that line! However, the opportunity cost of my academic success are the sleep, pleasure and other stochastic variable I had to forgo.

By God's grace I have all the money to send my children to any school on this earth. Give them all the luxury(ies) they could ever imagine, BUT, I will NEVER. They got to ''work''. Many at time, I don't even drive them to school.Yes, they MUST learn so as to become SMART.

PS: I had copied this article and will give to my children for perusal. God bless the OP. And those that contribute meaningfully. Of a truth, I am weeping typing this cry    Tears of joy anyway!

Thanks for this inspiring story.

Nigerian government tried to ruin you but you came up heads and shoulders high.

E no go better for IBB and his likes. May his wife rot in Hell fire being ra-ped by Hitler. Respect the dead my arse. People destroying lives to live large.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by coogar: 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sagamite:

You will be mad to send your kids to a lot of public schools in Nigeria so that is not necessarily what one is referring to.
But I will not waste so much money on a toddler by sending them to a school that charges that much for nursery.

different strokes for different folks. if i can afford it, i will be more than glad to pay such amount. i will reap the benefits later someway somehow. no amount is too obscene to pay as far as quality education is concerned. whether the child now applies himself to the quality is not the fault of the school, the parents and the child's immediate environment must share that responsibility.

Nothing really came of those that graduated in those schools when the schools were in their prime. All the kids knew was to show-off and speak with a stewpid western accent like if they were not Nigerians. I ain't hating! grin

trust me, they are better off than their mates that went to public schools in lagos.

Mate, I don't see them in UK being tremendously successful. Maybe they can be in Nigeria because of daddy or mummy's leg.

they do better than the other nigerians if you do the ratio.

No doubt, you might need them in Nigeria as you said.
You are right about that. But we were talking about over-paying in Nigeria.

what exactly is over-paying? what you consider too expensive might be chicken feed to the next man.

I hope that is not the future of Naija.

it is, i am afraid.

You might be right. I don't live in Naija that is why I asked to learn.

I don't want to have an Eton kid. It is one of  my worst nightmares.

eton kid is a mare to you. get any child in there and his future is secured(debarring sudden death or chronic illness).
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by dayokanu(m): 7:02pm On Jun 27, 2011
Paying 800k on a toddler cant be called quality education.

Ok Coogar, Tell me what they would teach a 2-3 yr old in preschool that can be worth 800k
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by fxtopedia(m): 7:02pm On Jun 27, 2011
My candid advice is that you need to TRAIN your child in such a way that he/she will remember you as good mentor

Woe to that parents whose children are wayward
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 7:04pm On Jun 27, 2011
coogar:

trust me, they are better off than their mates that went to public schools in lagos.

They don't do nearly as well as Alumnis of KC, GCI, QC, Baptist Boys, ISI/L, model colleges and federal government schools (as naijababe said above), despite paying ridiculous sums and the latter got theirs for peanuts!

coogar:

they do better than the other nigerians if you do the ratio.

Obviously criminals do better on average in Naija. That does not mean I want my kids to join them or contribute such to society.

coogar:

what exactly is over-paying? what you consider too expensive might be chicken feed to the next man.

If N800K for nursery is chicken feed to you abeg I get sister wey I fit give you marry but go discuss with your bank if dem go release in one year the amount we go ask for dowry. grin

coogar:

eton kid is a mare to you. get any child in there and his future is secured(debarring sudden death or chronic illness).

Doesn't necessarily mean they will be happy.

My friend I spoke about earlier was sent to private school in UK when young. If fcked the person up mentally.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Koolking(m): 7:04pm On Jun 27, 2011
I have never been so enthralled, inspired and motivated by an article & comments as these [on Nairaland]. It is a perfect reality of the situation in Nigeria.

Op pls, permit me to share same to non-nairalanders. It is an inspiring article. We are the architect of our status.

OP, my deepest gratitude for sharing.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by fxtopedia(m): 7:05pm On Jun 27, 2011
dayokanu:

Ok Coogar, Tell me what they would teach a 2-3 yr old in preschool that can be worth 800k

I guess those who paid such do not EARN the money.They could either receive it or steal it.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by coogar: 7:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
naijababe:

Disagree. Nigeria, unfortunately is one of those places where the money you pay for a service does not always correlate to the quality you get. Everything with very limited exceptions in Nigeria is about class and social standing.

i will also disagree with you here. while you may be right about nigeria being a place where the money you pay doesn't always correlate with the quality you get, the big spenders still get far more quality than the other divide. it is nigeria, i don't expect to pay 100 and get the value of 100 in return. i expect to pay 100 and get the value of 50. . . .but the ones who pay 80 will get lower than the value of 50. it's the way it works in nigeria.

Also wrong, same can be said of the Alumni of KC, GCI, QC, Baptist Boys etc all government schools

coincidentally, all these schools are old as the great wall of china. compare like for like. . . .compare the alumni of chrisland to the alumni of a public school that was established in the same year as chrisland and the difference will be clear to you. you cannot compare the alumni of kings college(a school formed in 1403 b.c. grin) to chrisland college that was established in the 90s. if there was a private school as old as kings college, their alumini will be better.

Really?! The kid is not a criminal but he's happy to share/enjoy perks of their criminal parents  Agree completely

they are neither happy nor sad to enjoy perks. . . .you did not know where the money that paid your fees came from in your teenage years.

Wrong assertion here again. Unless you can tell me why the olodo prince Harry got into Eton? Heck, dude even repeated a class. You'll find that Eton is just a place for the wards of the rich to continue in their paraponess  grin

harry wasn't supposed to be in eton - it was against their family tradition, royal kids went to gordonstoun. eton isn't a place for the wards of the rich to continue paraponess. . . .the school has produced 19 british prime ministers and david cameron's parents ain't millionaires.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by eldee(m): 7:11pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sagamite:

What I asked you was to "Show me where I called for anyone's head or I made it/said it was the most important factor".

1. If you are wrong I will correct you. Correcting you does not mean I am denying you your "rights". Didn't you study law?

2. "Herd mentality" basically equates to "norm" and definitely not "independent" thinking. Surely that N800K spent on your education was a waste in terms of the English language . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .and law.  grin

3.  Definition of a Buzz word: "a word  or phrase, often sounding authoritative or technical, that is a vogue term in a particular profession, field of study, popular culture, etc". Thinking outside the box is a technical word used in vogue in a lot of fields like law, consulting, academia and the intellectual cliques, so it is a buzzword. If one is not in the clique, they wouldn't know. grin

Choose not to care at your own risk. I am virtually always right! grin

This is the part where you run out out of what to say and chat B.S?? Come on, we all know this.
Well this is the part where I refer you to the points already argued and ask you to attempt to defeat them.

Now this is silly . . . no offence intended. You said about ten minutes ago that you agree that different parents should be able do make decisions on childcare depending on their individual values.
I stated that exact point . . . and what, you think you're correcting me??

Let's even ignore that . . . what's obvious is the fact that you just confused a moral right to a legal right. . . as expected.
Maybe what you need is another £3000 a year university education, get it fast, it's £9000 from next year. tongue tongue

So if 'herd mentality' equates to 'norm', doesn't mean my independent thinking makes the conclusion of your line of argument inconsistent with the basic facts??
The social norm here is obviously what I've defied by stating that we have no right, moral or legal, to teach people how to raise their kids.

Yeah I get it . . . thinking outside the box is a buzzword in a discussion relating to childcare . . . maybe I just don't belong to the clique of keyboard warriors that had the perfect childhood and feel the need to teach Bill Gates how to do it right. grin grin

It's obvious . . . you're always right . . . it's funny how that sounds like what the Yorubas define as a fool. grin grin grin

I'm done here bruv. . . this ish is getting way too easy as usual.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by coogar: 7:16pm On Jun 27, 2011
dayokanu:

ethics wink

Sagamite:

They don't do nearly as well as Alumnis of KC, GCI, QC, Baptist Boys, ISI/L, model colleges and federal government schools (as naijababe said above), despite paying ridiculous sums and the latter got theirs for peanuts!

assumptions? or is there a raw data to back this up?

Obviously criminals do better on average in Naija. That does not mean I want my kids to join them or contribute such to society.

criminals do better how? these kids schooled in the uk, excelled in the uk and took their certificates/skills back to nigeria to get good jobs. where is the criminality in this process? are you saying the money their parents spent in the uk bought them the certificates or what?

If N800K for nursery is chicken feed to you abeg I get sister wey I fit give you marry but go discuss with your bank if dem go release in one year the amount we go ask for dowry. grin

it's not chicken feed to me but its chicken feed to someone like abdul-mutallab's dad.

Doesn't necessarily mean they will be happy.

you are veering off now. rich people can be sad, poor people can be sad as well.

My friend I spoke about earlier was sent to private school in UK when young. If fcked the person up mentally.

i will look at others that excelled in eton . . . . .not an anomaly like your friend that got screwed up mentally. amongst the disciples of christ, there was a mole.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Claus(m): 7:27pm On Jun 27, 2011
eldee:

At the end of the day, my parents don't own a 'Virgin Islands'. They still have get better life chances than every Nigerian family you know. They're still more 'pampered' than anyone I know.

For sure, that's inevitable given the £billions he's worth. Just putting the Branson example back into context. From what we've seen of him, he really is a down to earth guy and he appears to have passed this on to his children.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 7:29pm On Jun 27, 2011
eldee:

This is the part where you run out out of what to say and chat B.S?? Come on, we all know this.
Well this is the part where I refer you to the points already argued and ask you to attempt to defeat them.

I repeat: What I asked you was to "Show me where I called for anyone's head or I made it/said it was the most important factor".

eldee:

Now this is silly . . . no offence intended. You said about ten minutes ago that you agree that different parents should be able do make decisions on childcare depending on their individual values.
I stated that exact point . . . and what, you think you're correcting me??

Eldee! Eldee! Ki lon she e? You know I am virtually always right why are you trying to fail because it is obvious you can not win. grin

This is evidence your N800K nursery education was a waste since you can not read today.  grin I did not challenge your argument that "childcare depending on their individual values", I challenged you lame, silly argument that we should not praise Richard Branson because his kids also has access to his island:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-700084.32.html#msg8601387

I take it that you N800K nursery school has collapsed and closed down? It was a perfect con! grin

eldee:

Let's even ignore that . . . what's obvious is the fact that you just confused a moral right to a legal right. . . as expected.
Maybe what you need is another £3000 a year university education, get it fast, it's £9000 from next year. tongue tongue

Let me laugh for a few minutes.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Kai! My belle o, my head o! grin grin grin

Since when did giving an opinion correcting someone deny anyone their moral right, Oga wey study law?  grin

eldee:

So if 'herd mentality' equates to 'norm', doesn't mean my independent thinking makes the conclusion of your line of argument inconsistent with the basic facts??
The social norm here is obviously what I've defied by stating that we have no right, moral or legal, to teach people how to raise their kids.

Huh! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ye! Eldee, you dey pami lerin (make me laugh).  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You just thought about what kind of thrash you can think of and put it down. ROFLMAO  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Shh! You messed up equating herd mentality with deviation. That na Naija quality N800K nursery school return!  grin grin grin No wuruwuru arguments to cover up your goof! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

eldee:

Yeah I get it . . . thinking outside the box is a buzzword in a discussion relating to childcare . . .

Thinking outside the box is applicable to any ratiocination activity independent of the topic. Dem no teach you that for N800K nursery. Kai! You waste money o.  grin grin grin grin grin

eldee:

maybe I just don't belong to the clique of keyboard warriors that had the perfect childhood and feel the need to teach Bill Gates how to do it right. grin grin

You are a Arrow! grin I grew up in Makoko and sold epa & boli (groundnut & roast plantain) from the age of 3. I was poor, nigga. grin Who had a perfect childhood? You wan spoil my street rep? grin

eldee:

It's obvious . . . you're always right . . . it's funny how that sounds like what the Yorubas define as a fool. grin grin grin

I'm done here bruv. . . this ish is getting way too easy as usual.

Your intellect is inferior. Don't be attempting these kinds of arguments, you will be flogged.  grin
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Natasha2(f): 7:32pm On Jun 27, 2011
Jeez why are so many peoepl saying this doesn't apply in Nigeria?  undecided I my self after finishing sec school at age 15 I got a job but couldn't go due to some circumstances even my Dad helped in the search of a job, many of my peers also got themselves jobs as teachers others worked in fast food outlets, so I don't get when you guys say this doesn't apply in Nigeria, there are still many parents here who encourage their children to get holiday jobs
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 7:50pm On Jun 27, 2011
coogar:

assumptions? or is there a raw data to back this up?

No raw data exists but there is enough anecdoctal evidence from the Nigerian clique in UK.

The guys at the top schools and jobs tend to be from the mentioned schools.

I know kids that went to those posh schools and I ask them what there peers are up to. Nothing impressive.

I have never heard or seen any of the alumni of the over-paying schools that are highflyers in constrast to those of the listed public schools of the same generation.

coogar:

criminals do better how? these kids schooled in the uk, excelled in the uk and took their certificates/skills back to nigeria to get good jobs. where is the criminality in this process? are you saying the money their parents spent in the uk bought them the certificates or what?

Nigeria is not a merit place. These kids that went to posh schools and who usually end up in average UK schools can not compete in the UK but end up on top in Naija because of leg, not because they are the best Nigerians.

So that posh education has not given them the academic advantage you allude to. Otherwise most will end up in the top UK unis and top jobs in UK.

coogar:

it's not chicken feed to me but its chicken feed to someone like abdul-mutallab's dad.

Something is chicken feed does not mean it should be thrown away. According to my way of life sha.

coogar:

you are veering off now. rich people can be sad, poor people can be sad as well.

i will look at others that excelled in eton . . . . .not an anomaly like your friend that got screwed up mentally. amongst the disciples of christ, there was a mole.

There are kids that go to good schools that are not in the calibre of Eton but yet do well and are happy. I prefer such schools for my kids than the likely mentality that will be developed in Eton.

As I said, it is not about money to me, it is about values and character. The values and character I want for my kids is unlikely to be given in Eton.

When I was in uni some of this posh motherfckers that were flatmates in my school accommodation will laugh at you for buying a "Tesco branded" bread. Do not even think of shopping in places like like Lidl or Aldi if you want to have any rep. No surprises they did not rent when we had to move out of student accommodation the following year. Daddy bought them a flat straight up. I don't want my kids to have that mentality and I will try to prevent it as best as I can.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Outstrip(f): 7:51pm On Jun 27, 2011
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Breath of fresh air. I have been saying this for a long time. It is not even just the rich in Nigeria. Even some of the lower middle class or even poor will have children who sit at home and do nothing.  It's like it is etched in stone somewhere that they should not earn any money or learn any responsibilities outside of the home until they graduate from the University.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sicherheit(m): 8:21pm On Jun 27, 2011
@ Eldee
I agree with you, what does flying in economy teach if at the end of day what I call home is a 30 room mansion with pool the size of a football field, I drive a car that's worth 5 people's salary and I have access to millions at the snap of a finger. undecided
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 8:28pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sicherheit:

@ Eldee
I agree with you, what does flying in economy teach if at the end of day what I call home is a 30 room mansion with pool the size of a football field, I drive a car that's worth 5 people's salary and I have access to millions at the snap of a finger. undecided

You really have to think that if someone has a philosophy of not allowing his kids fly first or business class, he is highly unlikely to be buying them ridiculously expensive cars or giving them millions at a snap of a finger.

Think a bit more, if the kids have access to millions at the snap of a finger, will Branson not know they can buy themselves the first class tickets if he doesn't? Why will they even ask the parents for flight money?
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Daytonbale: 8:29pm On Jun 27, 2011
any body who have caring parent who is  sending them to school, giving them pocket money , providing free cars and drivers for them , buying toys and lollipop for them , sending them to abroad , paying their school fees, renting an apartment for them, pampering them, booking first class flight FOR them , calling them honey and so on, all of them should thank God.

Person like me i have been suffering since day 1 am 24 now , no uncle no Aunts .

ALL OF THEM NEED TO THANK GOD PRETTY WELL COS I KNOW WHAT AM PASSING THROUGH NO GOOD EDUCATION, NO NOTHING . GUY MAN NEED TO WORK FROM MORNING TILL NIGHT BEFORE HE CAN EARN A LIVING. AT LEAST I THANK GOD TO BE ALIVE .
SO ALL AJEBUTTERs  SHOULD GIVE THANKS TO GOD .
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Claus(m): 8:36pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sicherheit:

@ Eldee

Once examples of real people are brought into these arguments, we have to be as factual as possible. The above comments can't be substantiated.

I don't know how he did it (flying economy or otherwise), but even with his £billions, he seems to have raised well grounded kids. The one that we hear a little bit about (Holly Branson) qualified as a medical doctor a few years ago.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
not sure there are any clear answers

i shared a room in school with some people from much less privileged backgrounds - and i remember one of them thinking mouthwash was a big deal.

i live in festac, which is basically a slum, and i am one of the more well to do fellows in my neighborhood.

my three year old has a netbook with educational stuff and videos. my neighbours might think of this as spoiling too.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by iragbijile: 8:58pm On Jun 27, 2011
naijababe:

Does not apply just to Nigeria. This is the preserve of the rich globally.

Really?! The kid is not a criminal but he's happy to share/enjoy perks of their criminal parents  Agree completely

Ladugbo mi, ti n ti yo, e lo n fa garawa

Well, do you mean Aca or Baptist high.     .     .     two different schools BTW

no dey mention ma sukuru like that ooooooo grin
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Joe5(m): 9:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
if for at least once you have never have had to run to class with clawy hunger jus so as to be able t6 meet up with school fees, U can hardly understand the poster
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:09pm On Jun 27, 2011
oyb:

not sure there are any clear answers

i shared a room in school with some people from much less privileged backgrounds - and i remember one of them thinking mouthwash was a big deal.

i live in festac, which is basically a slum, and i am one of the more well to do fellows in my neighborhood.

my three year old has a netbook with educational stuff and videos. my neighbours might think of this as spoiling too.

Oyb grin

I believe it ks spoiling. wetin 'im wan do with netbook? Ipad2 nko?
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Wallie(m): 10:14pm On Jun 27, 2011
The bottom line is that “everything” has to be done in moderation. There’s nothing wrong in pampering a kid; however, the kid must be made to realize the value of such pampering.

For example, I don’t see a problem in buying a car for a teenager to get to work but he has to make monthly payments to me to cover his insurance. However, I do have a problem buying a car that he might not be able to afford on his own when he graduates from college. The car I will buy has to be the cheapest and safest car that I can afford.

Can you imagine buying a brand new BMW for your kid when he turned 18 but at age 25, he’s only able to buy afford a Corolla for himself after graduating college?

As a parent, even in the US, I wouldn’t kick my kid out of my house at the age of 18 but he’ll definitely need to get a job when not in school to pay for his own expenses, which includes pocket money. He also has to save that money for when school is in session. The only thing that I owe him is his tuition and money for books. My goal is to give him everything to get ahead in life but not a single thing more.

With regards to tuition, there’s nothing wrong in sending your kids to a $10k per year school as long as what they’re getting in return are added educational benefits and not pampering.

I would have loved for my kids to experience boarding school in Nigeria like I did but it seems that the society has changed so much that it will do more harm than good! I think going to a boarding school is one of the best things that ever happened to me because it made me independent and value a lot of things people at home take for granted.

I do agree, however, that some parents are over-pampering their kids.

I know a couple of kids (13 and 7) that flew to Paris first-class from Lagos for holidays. After spending about a week or two in Paris, they flew first-class back to Lagos, only for them to fly to the US first-class within the same week of arriving in Lagos. Even though the kids were staying with close family friends, they were given $1,000 per week as pocket money for food while in the US. I took the kids out to a restaurant and the 7 year old wanted to order almost everything on the menu (no joke!). I was so irritated that I said no even though I wasn’t paying for them. The kid ate so much that he had to go to the bathroom to throw up and I can’t help but think that he had some eating disorder based on the amount of food that he consumed and how fast he consumed it.

The 13 year old one goes to a private boarding school in Lagos that cost about $18k. I didn’t know that a school in Nigeria could cost that much! Luckily, the kids are very smart and witty, especially the 7 year old one. You should see this kid reading the menu so smoothly like an adult!

Lastly, rich parents have to realize that hard work never kills and only breeds character!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 27, 2011
iragbijile:

Ladugbo mi, ti n ti yo, e lo n fa garawa

Well, do you mean Aca or Baptist high.     .     .     two different schools BTW

no dey mention ma sukuru like that ooooooo grin

I mean Baptist Boys Abeokuta  grin. Dat your own school na for pretenders  tongue

The bottom line is that “everything” has to be done in moderation. There’s nothing wrong in pampering a kid; however, the kid must be made to realize the value of such pampering.

Word!!!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 10:22pm On Jun 27, 2011
Wallie:

For example, I don’t see a problem in buying a car for a teenager to get to work but he has to make monthly payments to me to cover his insurance. However, I do have a problem buying a car that he might not be able to afford on his own when he graduates from college. The car I will buy has to be the cheapest and safest car that I can afford.

Can you imagine buying a brand new BMW for your kid when he turned 18 but at age 25, he’s only able to buy afford a Corolla for himself after graduating college?

As a parent, even in the US, I wouldn’t kick my kid out of my house at the age of 18 but he’ll definitely need to get a job when not in school to pay for his own expenses, which includes pocket money. He also has to save that money for when school is in session. The only thing that I owe him is his tuition and money for books. My goal is to give him everything to get ahead in life but not a single thing more.

With regards to tuition, there’s nothing wrong in sending your kids to a $10k per year school as long as what they’re getting in return are added educational benefits and not pampering.

I would have loved for my kids to experience boarding school in Nigeria like I did but it seems that the society has changed so much that it will do more harm than good! I think going to a boarding school is one of the best things that ever happened to me because it made me independent and value a lot of things people at home take for granted.

GBAM!

Wallie:

I do agree, however, that some parents are over-pampering their kids.

I know a couple of kids (13 and 7) that flew to Paris first-class from Lagos for holidays. After spending about a week or two in Paris, they flew first-class back to Lagos, only for them to fly to the US first-class within the same week of arriving in Lagos. Even though the kids were staying with close family friends, they were given $1,000 per week as pocket money for food while in the US. I took the kids out to a restaurant and the 7 year old wanted to order almost everything on the menu (no joke!). I was so irritated that I said no even though I wasn’t paying for them. The kid ate so much that he had to go to the bathroom to throw up and I can’t help but think that he had some eating disorder based on the amount of food that he consumed and how fast he consumed it.

The 13 year old one goes to a private boarding school in Lagos that cost about $18k. I didn’t know that a school in Nigeria could cost that much! Luckily, the kids are very smart and witty, especially the 7 year old one. You should see this kid reading the menu so smoothly like an adult!

Lastly, rich parents have to realize that hard work never kills and only breeds character!

I want to throw up! [Retches]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Some People Abandon Their Parents After Marriage? / When Is The Right Time To Get Married? / How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.