Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,513 members, 7,954,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:58 PM

Tithes: What Purpose? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes: What Purpose? (908 Views)

If God Created Everything For Men, What Purpose Do Other Planets serve?. / 14 Lies About Tithes That You Should Know About. / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithes: What Purpose? by OmoTier1(m): 11:33am On Jun 27, 2011
Base on scriptural truths, and with the sole aim of giving the reader/hearer the foundational truths and source of origin; answers to these questions will be welcomed.

Question 1: Biblically, WHO introduced tithes?

Question 2: HOW did tithing come about?

Question 3:WHAT is the symbolics -spiritual/physical- of tithes and tithing?

Question 4:WHAT is the link and importance (if any)of tithes and tithing to a christian?

Please, I wish all post/view point be construed and contended with scritural references so those who may read can further searchnthe scriptures for themselves.

SALEM.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by debosky(m): 11:35am On Jun 27, 2011
Google is your friend - these issues have been dealt with (in great depth) on multiple threads on nairaland.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by PastorAIO: 11:36am On Jun 27, 2011
Tithing started long before the time it was first recorded in the bible so you will not find the source of the practice in the bible.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by OmoTier1(m): 12:29pm On Jun 27, 2011
debosky:

Google is your friend - these issues have been dealt with (in great depth) on multiple threads on nairaland.
Yea I understand so, however, no body appears to have answered the question on the symbolics of tithing!
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by debosky(m): 12:31pm On Jun 27, 2011
^^ Ok.

What do you mean by 'symbolics of tithing'? If you are clearer in describing what you seek then you might get useful responses.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by OmoTier1(m): 12:38pm On Jun 27, 2011
Pastor AIO:

Tithing started long before the time it was first recorded in the bible so you will not find the source of the practice in the bible.
If you agree that the bible -book of Genesis- gave the historical account of how the NATIONS came to be with thier practices and norms, then the origin of Tithes shouldn't be beyond the reach of the bible!
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by PastorAIO: 12:42pm On Jun 27, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

If you agree that the bible -book of Genesis- gave the historical account of how the NATIONS came to be with thier practices and norms, then the origin of Tithes shouldn't be beyond the reach of the bible!

What does the bible tell you about the practices and norms of the Sioux native american nations? and the Inca? Not to mention the Australian aborigines.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by OmoTier1(m): 12:50pm On Jun 27, 2011
debosky:

^^ Ok.

What do you mean by 'symbolics of tithing'? If you are clearer in describing what you seek then you might get useful responses.
In the old testament,you would notice that most of the dealings God had with the Isrealites was always in the shadow of what was suppose to be or will be.

For example, the death of Jesus and His resurrection was typified by the symbolic of the brassen serpent on a tree and the isrealites had to look unto to it whenever they be biten by that venomous serpent in the wilderness.

So I ask, what does Tithe which actually men 10 symbilize, and why 10 and not 7.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by OmoTier1(m): 12:52pm On Jun 27, 2011
Pastor AIO:

What does the bible tell you about the practices and norms of the Sioux native american nations? and the Inca? Not to mention the Australian aborigines.
Surely, none of these formed individual NATIONS as in origin and they are post Genesis era.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by debosky(m): 12:54pm On Jun 27, 2011
^^ Does the bible tell you about the Sumerians?
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by PastorAIO: 1:18pm On Jun 27, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Surely, none of these formed individual NATIONS as in origin and they are post Genesis era.

I can't think of how to respond to this without being insulting, so I'll leave it.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by OmoTier1(m): 1:39pm On Jun 27, 2011
debosky:

^^ Does the bible tell you about the Sumerians?
I never said nor imply that the bible contains the history of every tribes. But sure, it does tell us about the origin of the NATIONS and it must surely be from one of these NATIONS which must have began the practice of tithing.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by PastorAIO: 11:42am On Jun 28, 2011
What is the difference between a nation and a tribe, in your opinion?
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by OmoTier1(m): 3:49pm On Jun 28, 2011
Okay, I really do not want to go further as nothing as much will be achieved.
In the near East or Far East, NATIONS and TRIBES were and are not same in biblical history. But in some translations, they are used interchangeably - leading to some misconception in translation E.g, Isreal is sometimes described as a Tribe and a Nation, However, Isreal was proclaimed prophetically as a Nation (Book of Nehemaiah) and we all know how many Tribes consist of the Isrealite Nation.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by Tonyet1(m): 3:55pm On Jun 28, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Question 1: Biblically, WHO introduced tithes?

grin

Omo_Tier1:

Question 2: HOW did tithing come about?

grin grin

Omo_Tier1:

Question 3:WHAT is the symbolics -spiritual/physical- of tithes and tithing?

grin grin grin

Omo_Tier1:

Question 4:WHAT is the link and importance (if any)of tithes and tithing to a christian?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by Joagbaje(m): 9:25pm On Jun 28, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Isreal was proclaimed prophetically as a Nation (Book of Nehemaiah) and we all know how many Tribes consist of the Isrealite Nation.

No , rather israel was propheticaly proclaim that it would be a nation in Genesis. but israel was officially declared a nation at mt sinai. in the wilderness
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by OmoTier1(m): 10:32pm On Jun 28, 2011
Joagbaje:

No , rather israel was propheticaly proclaim that it would be a nation in Genesis. but israel was officially declared a nation at mt sinai. in the wilderness
I agree, however I choose Nehemiah's reference 'cos that was were the bible recorded God's decision to receive isreal as a nation again even though God had denounced the convenant He 'cut' with them in the wilderness due to thier hardened heart!

In any case, what is your answer to questions 3 & 4 in my post above?
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by InesQor(m): 11:38pm On Jun 28, 2011
Lolz for hours at many posts on this thread
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by debosky(m): 3:36pm On Jun 29, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I never said nor imply that the bible contains the history of every tribes. But sure, it does tell us about the origin of the NATIONS and it must surely be from one of these NATIONS which must have began the practice of tithing.

Let me explain why I brought up the Sumerians. The Sumerians are one of the 'nations'/'tribes' (distinguishing between the two is immaterial at this stage) that practised tithing as part of their culture. Abram was incidentally immersed in the culture of the Sumerians as well.

Does the bible tell us about the origin of the Sumerians or the reasons for them initiating tithing in their culture? If it doesn't, your search for the 'origin' of tithing is a futile exercise if you limit it to the bible.

Read more about the Sumerians in the attached link:
http://www.mysocialstudiesclass.com/ANCIENTRIVERCIVILIZATIONS.pdf
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by nuclearboy(m): 5:06pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Debosky:

Thought you supported Tithes!

What happened?
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by debosky(m): 5:08pm On Jun 29, 2011
nuclearboy:

@Debosky:

Thought you supported Tithes!

What happened?

I don't have anything against tithing, as long as it is understood as being an example of giving as one decides in his own heart, and not a requirement as such.
Re: Tithes: What Purpose? by nuclearboy(m): 5:13pm On Jun 29, 2011
We've argued this issue before and NOW I find we hold the same position? Wonderful! Patience is truly a virtue

(1) (Reply)

Atheists, Christians Clash At Washington, DC Protest / Mr Anony, Enigma, Aletheia, Goshen360: Is The Trinity Foundational To Our Faith? / SOULWINNING : Scriptures and tips To Aid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.