Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us (5261 Views)

N398m Votes For Computers In 2016 Budget Is Strange To Me – Lai Mohammed . / Lai Mohammed: 'N398m For Computers In Budget Of 2016 Is Strange To Me' / 107 Dead In Army, Boko Haram Clash At Military Barracks In Yobe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by dapachez: 4:17pm On Jun 28, 2011
The Nigerian Army has said the tactics employed by the Islamic fundamentalist sect, Boko Haram, in its operation is strange to it, but assured Nigerians that it is equal to the threat, adding that it will soon unveil strategy to tackle the group.

Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt-General Azubuike Ihejirika, who made this revelation at the opening of the Second Quarter Chief of Army Staff Conference in Abuja Monday, said: “The tactics they employ is relatively new to the country,” and vowed to stop them.

He promised to unfold new strategies that would effectively end the growing security threats posed by the sect, who had been terrorising some sections of the country.

He said: “Nigerian Army having studied the method of operation (in collaboration with other security agents), very soon the country will notice improvement and new security agreements.”

The COAS said the presence of soldiers at strategic places in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) since last Thursday was part of the emerging strategies to enforce and maintain security in the current atmosphere of terrorism caused by the spate of bombings across the country.

He advised the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) residents to brace up for the unintended inconveniences being created by the recent joint security stop-and-search checks led by the Army, effectively taking the task of securing lives and properties in the nation’s capital from the Nigerian Police Force.

“The enforcement of security at the hands of soldiers on vehicles is because they are being proactive, while there will be searches on the road. Nigerians should be able to adapt to the temporary security measures,” he said.

Ihejirika further disclosed that one key item of the meeting which was purely security measures would be a closed door meeting as general officers commanding (GOCs) and commanders would receive briefing on how to confront the menace of Boko Haram once and for all.

He emphasised that the purpose of the conference was to take stock of the first and second quarter activities especially in the areas of security responsibilities in various commands.

According to him, the meeting would also discuss ways of improving elections and analysis of areas of improvement.

Speaking earlier, the Chief of Policy and Plans, Maj-Gen O. Akinyemi, noted that the current security challenges, especially the problem of Boko Haram in some parts of the country, was one of the contemporary challenges that needed to be immediately addressed.

Akinyemi said that deliberations during the conference would come up with recommendations and strategies towards addressing these challenges.

He noted that the presentations and discussions during the first quarter conference as well as the implementations of the decisions arrived at during the conference contributed in no small measures to the successes achieved by the Army in support of the election process as they had received accolades from various quarters for its conduct during the elections.

“Some lessons must have been learnt which could assist the Army to improve in possible future internal security tasks,” he said.

Meanwhile, another explosion Monday in Maiduguri, Borno State claimed the lives of two child hawkers and injured several others including two Customs officers.

The blast followed a similar one that was detonated in the same city a day earlier that left 25 dead and 12 injured.

Monday’s explosion, which was as a result of detonated bombs planted around the Customs office building in Maiduguri occurred at about 2.30pm.

THISDAY gathered that the bombs were targeted at the Customs office and a hospital located at the centre of the ancient town.

Confirming the incident, Commandant of the Joint Military Task Force, Maj-General Okechukwu Nwaogbo, said the child hawkers were killed in the blast. He also disclosed that several other persons were injured.

The commandant of the Joint Military Task Force established by the Federal Government to checkmate the menace of the Islamic fundamentalist sect, had earlier revealed that the mayhem visited on the state on Sunday by alleged members of the group was an ambush and not bomb blasts as earlier reported.

Nwaogbo, who refused to give the figure of casualties, said investigations revealed that between eight and 10 members of the group came on about seven motorcycles to the local drinking joint, set the place on fire and took strategic positions.

He said during the attack, which took place between 5 and 6.30pm on Sunday, the group shot at anyone that tried to escape the raging inferno.

The commandant of the task force tagged “Operation Restore Order”, said he would not be able to give the number of casualties as the figure might increase as there were still some persons on critical list at the hospital, but said: “We lost lives there but not as high as being reported.”

Nwaogbo also disclosed that two persons were in custody and were assisting the taskforce in its investigations. He said the two persons were sent by some people to go on surveillance of churches in Maiduguri.

He said intelligence on the group revealed that they were asked to mingle with worshippers and bring report back to their principals but were lucky to be apprehended by church members who brought them to his men.

The commandant said they were helping with investigations and his men were already going after their principals, assuring the residents of Maiduguri that the task force was not out to intimidate anybody.

He said his men were deployed to ensure the safety of lives and property and to cooperate with everybody in the task of getting this done.

In a similar development, the Borno State Commandant of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Bwala Hatsiwa, has said that to arrest the Boko Haram upsurge in the country then, teeth must be given to the current drug war.

Also, the Amnesty International has called on members of the Boko Haram to stop attacks on civilians after the bombing that killed as many as 25 in Maiduguri Sunday.

However, the group was silent on the attack on the Nigerian military and police but rather mentioned at the later part of a press statement issued yesterday that the Nigerian security forces had carried out mass arrests, tortured suspects and detained people without charge or trial for lengthy periods.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/army-boko-haram-tactics-strange-to-us/94055/
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by EzeUche1(m): 4:25pm On Jun 28, 2011
That means they are not up to the task.

I do not trust the army, because many in their ranks are probably sympathetic to Boko Haram's cause.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by Blackteeth(m): 4:37pm On Jun 28, 2011
The army isn't serious. Boko Haram has been there for a few years now and their tactics are still new to the army.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by seanet02: 5:21pm On Jun 28, 2011
EzeUche!:

I do not trust the army, because many in their ranks are probably sympathetic to Boko Haram's cause.
You are right, the army is clueless right from the the clueless Chief of Army staff who is the dumbest chief of army staff to ever hold the ace over there after ironsi. Really clueless duo
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 28, 2011
This calls for technological evolution.

It doesnt mean they wont be able to fight it.

USA had to evolve/ adjust their technologies to any potential terrorist attacks after 9/11.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 28, 2011
It won't be new any longer after they start bombing barracks.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by MMM3(m): 2:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
J12:

It won't be new any longer after they start bombing barracks.

or even aso rock
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by Itohenry: 2:54pm On Jun 29, 2011
If Boko haRAM tactics is strange to the Nigeria Army, what will happen if another nation attacked Nigeria?  Oh Save us Oh God, for we are help and hopeless with the Nigeria Army
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by AjanleKoko: 2:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
EzeUche!:

Surprise, surprise. wink
I thought you'd be better disposed, since your Igbo brother is heading up the army these days. Abi?
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by violent(m): 3:19pm On Jun 29, 2011
The Nigerian Army has said the tactics employed by the Islamic fundamentalist sect, Boko Haram, in its operation is strange to it, but assured Nigerians that it is equal to the threat, adding that it will soon unveil strategy to tackle the group.

After several hundreds have been killed, these clowns don't even have a single strategy yet?
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by snowdrops(m): 3:20pm On Jun 29, 2011
The army need to seek advice from the US army, CIA, MI6 and the Isreali secret service on how to handle this kind of threat.
This are the same methods employed in the middle east/south asia by muslim terrorists.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by Tyche(m): 3:25pm On Jun 29, 2011
Dear Nigerian Army,
You don't need to tell us, we already know.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by philip0906(m): 3:27pm On Jun 29, 2011
dats what u have when u dont have a functioning intelligence unit in our armed force. . .
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by phillipe: 3:29pm On Jun 29, 2011
The NA is up to the task at hand.
The COAS is only explaining why we should expect a slow End (Strange Tactics)

Did the US Army Not suffer same with the Talibans,The Mogadishu Rebels? , etc
There in nothing new under the sun but there is always a first time
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by fumisko(f): 3:32pm On Jun 29, 2011
Am new on nairaland and i joined out of boredom. so please good discussions o. dont corrupt me am a small girl.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by philip0906(m): 3:39pm On Jun 29, 2011
fumisko:

Am new on nairaland and i joined out of boredom. so please good discussions o. dont corrupt me am a small girl.
flee 4rm anything 190 bluetooth ekt bear e.t.c They loff 2 corrupt small girls
Avoid any thing oduduwarish
ur stay on nland will be fun. . .
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by ak47mann(m): 3:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
fumisko:

tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by Andrew3(m): 3:43pm On Jun 29, 2011
flee 4rm anything 190 bluetooth ekt bear e.t.c They loff 2 corrupt small girls
Avoid any thing oduduwarish
your stay on nland will be fun. . .

lmao grin grin grin
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:44pm On Jun 29, 2011
Nigerian Army is indeed a strange animal -
WTF is so strange about;
1: A group of armed violent-looking people walking the streets at night killing people at drinking bars
2: A group of people located in a recognizable community in a recognized state of the federal republic of nigeria
3: A group of people delivering explosives via hand or hidden in areas with high human-traffic

By know the over-bloated, tribalistic Directorate of Military Intelligence should have a list of high risk areas that Boko Haram are likely to hit,how they operate and what their "REAL" agenda is. for pete's Sake they are not that organized in the first place
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:47pm On Jun 29, 2011
BOKO HARAM ARMY ARE TALKING RUBBISH
IDI.OTS grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by maclatunji: 3:51pm On Jun 29, 2011
fumisko:

I don't doubt that you are a "small girl". You have chosen to announce your arrival on the hottest "battle zone" on this forum, I wish you good luck.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by kulutempa: 3:54pm On Jun 29, 2011
fumisko:

Hang around on Nairaland for a couple of months and you will become more corrupt than all the big girls of Abuja, Lagos and Port Harcourt combined.  grin  Don't say you were not warned.

On a more serious note the solution to the Boko Haram problem is simple.  It's intelligence, intelligence, and more intelligence.   Without it the deployment of all of  the Nigerian army to Maiduguri will solve nothing.   You need surgical strikes and the element of surprise against terrorists, not thousands of noisy soldiers stomping about like elephants and broadcasting their presence.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by vislabraye(m): 3:58pm On Jun 29, 2011
The SS should be involved. Don't we have good spies or infiltrators? Thats the secret of winning the war. When you catch some, make them to confess. Last time the Nigerian Police caught some, they killed all of them. That is daft.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by sizzlers(m): 4:07pm On Jun 29, 2011
what about our anti bumb squad?
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by sayso: 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2011
hmmmmm army qua,so they do not know who they are?
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by denony(m): 4:15pm On Jun 29, 2011
sizzlers:

what about our anti bumb squad?

Anti bomb squad ko, anti bomb squad ni
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by 2mch(m): 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2011
This height on insecurity in Nigeria; why do the COAS and the IGP still have thier jobs? I wonder why Marvel Akpoyibo was not given the position of IGP considering what he was able to do in Lagos while he was there. The COAS should also lose his job. How can the army come out and make this ridiculous statement? A tleast they now see that they are not safe collecting N50 again. Maybe the fear for their lives will make them work instead of poo like this:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/473552_Drunken_policeman_jpgac0df6fd474e0f933f432178826ca27f
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by alfablondy: 4:34pm On Jun 29, 2011
grin grin grin grin

@2much.     wetin happen to dat police officer, he dey drunk or wetin, see how careless he is with d gun.  I dont tink d guy know what police is all about. security in Naija is zerooooooooooooo!
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by odogwux(m): 4:35pm On Jun 29, 2011
fumisko:

Yeepa!! Leave before they stain your gentle soul.

Seriously now, the COAS cant be serious. Whether they are employing systems new to us here or not, the fact is their methods are very common in other parts of the world. ihejirika should move away from the microphones and cameras for a while and beef up his intelligence network. If abacha was COAS now, you can be sure there wouldnt be boko haram anymore
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by lafuria1(m): 4:55pm On Jun 29, 2011
boko haram tactics strange, really? Wat hap 2 all d peacekeepin traing in liberia, freetown, oh i 4got, 9ja didnt go to somalia. Look d army shld beta come up wt solution. Bokoharam wasnt founded just 3mnths ago but since 2009.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by igbsam(m): 5:00pm On Jun 29, 2011
Dem don start to make mouth again, when boko haram go vex now bomb again, dem go find who to blame for loose speech. Why dont they carry out the tactics instead of coming out to say it. This people never learn their lesson o! Chai!!!! Oga Boko Haram, abeg no vex for this speech, na child(ren) play. Them don shayo so dem no know when dem talk.
Re: Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us by Roland17(m): 5:06pm On Jun 29, 2011
if the COAS can make such statements, then its time to get really scared,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ignorance Of Those Praising APC/ SW Debts / Breaking News: 'i Know I Will Go, But One Apc Lawmaker Will Pay For It', Fayose / Akpabio Called Dino Melaye After PDP Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.