Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Walmart In Nigeria - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Walmart In Nigeria (19458 Views)

Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) / Walmart In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 6:23pm On Jun 30, 2011
Musiwa,.:

igbo people are finished if walmart comes to nigeria.

I was actually thinking the same thing. This is not good for Igbo businesses.

But we always find a niche.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by seanet03: 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2011
Walmart thank you oooooooooooooo, no more shortchanging by the usual weed people
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 6:27pm On Jun 30, 2011
seanet03:

Walmart thank you oooooooooooooo, no more shortchanging by the usual weed people

And you wonder why you are being banned. undecided
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by omoola007(m): 6:34pm On Jun 30, 2011
I welcome Walmart jare. I am not a fan of their quality or how they underprice competitors  but they will bring lower prices overall to the consumer and create jobs for Nigerians and they will inevitably develop the local supplier Market.

Me I am already thinking of how to be a supplier. Do you know how hard it is to get on the shelf of walmart. Search YouTube there is a documentary on what it takes. You will sweat tire but if it works out, you are made they place orders in millions and will buy out your whole production capacity. Imagine how much easier it will be to set up a factory if you don't have to worry about distribution logistics.

As long as the government has a contractual clause that they should develop local supplier or face very high tariff on finished goods import. After 5 years you have to buy 50% from Nigerians etc. Give them free land and tax to come to your state. In return you get jobs. And cheaper goods.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by odumchi: 6:38pm On Jun 30, 2011
This is more bad than good. Look at what they are doing to India and China, millions of low paying foreign sponsored jobs and all the money is whisked back to the West!

They just see our large population as a market to market their goods. Why not support local businessmen that will employ Nigerians and keep the wealth in Nigeria?
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by seanet03: 6:38pm On Jun 30, 2011
EzeUche:

And you wonder why you are being banned. undecided
Ezeuche na wetin again now? did i mention your name or your tribe?
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by ektbear: 6:39pm On Jun 30, 2011
I like Walmart a lot, heh.

Always Low Prices!

Will be interesting to see how this works out.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by iice(f): 6:45pm On Jun 30, 2011
tiwola:

If I have to walk into another 'we sell at the lowest prices store' and see a PS3/XBOX 360 for 100k
fight go happen o!

Ahahahahaha. I don laugh die. Thanks cheesy
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by sleekman(m): 6:46pm On Jun 30, 2011
Except prices are going to come down otherwise I see them dying a natural death. I just believe certain sectors of the economy should be regulated.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by ektbear: 6:54pm On Jun 30, 2011
Dgunnerz:

Low pay jobs and no job!
Choose 1?

Hehe. Well said grin
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 6:57pm On Jun 30, 2011
This is an attack on Igbo businesses. angry
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Pukkah: 6:58pm On Jun 30, 2011
odumchi:

This is more bad than good. Look at what they are doing to India and China, millions of low paying foreign sponsored jobs and all the money is whisked back to the West!

They just see our large population as a market to market their goods. Why not support local businessmen that will employ Nigerians and keep the wealth in Nigeria?

This is so because Foreign Direct Investment has its pros and cons.  You can't stop a company that is bringing funds into your country, and thereby creating employment, from repatriating its profits. At the same time you may need the foreign investment to kick-start your economy and improve your competencies.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by seanet03: 6:58pm On Jun 30, 2011
EzeUche:

I do not agree.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 30, 2011
seanet03:

I do not agree.
LOL Is the ban making you behave? I was expecting a funnier retort tongue
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 30, 2011
EzeUche:

Dont worry, Igbos will soon land WalMart or make their own EzeMart.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by seanet03: 7:03pm On Jun 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Dont worry, Igbos will soon land WalMart or make their own EzeMart.
Just as they usually have their own second hand Igbomart
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by pleep(m): 7:04pm On Jun 30, 2011
There's already a 't-mart' in tinnapa
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by seanet03: 7:06pm On Jun 30, 2011
what about "U mart" in okija shrine?
olodo
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 30, 2011
lol grin
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by proffmanue(m): 7:10pm On Jun 30, 2011
Hope they will not add made in china products to their goods?
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Pukkah: 7:12pm On Jun 30, 2011
proffmanue:

Hope they will not add made in china products to their goods?

Why not?
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2011
Many walmart products are from China. undecided undecided

thats why its CHEAP.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by playmode(m): 7:18pm On Jun 30, 2011
This will be bad for small scale businessmen and importers.They have just signed a deal with South Africa too and bought 51% stake in the retail industry. I shiver at what the consequences will be for Africans.First Africom now Walmart in Africa's two largest economies.This is no coincidence,brace yourselves people.Africa is the last stand : China Vs America.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by hackney(m): 7:19pm On Jun 30, 2011
Walmart is welcome.
they'd probably have one in abuja.

I dont see it affecting businesses in the nook and crannies of the country so there!, seanet03! !
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by aljharem3: 7:23pm On Jun 30, 2011
what do we need walmart for in nigeria and pls no one should tell me about job creation undecided
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by seanet03: 7:29pm On Jun 30, 2011
hackney:

Walmart is welcome.
they'd probably have one in abuja.

I dont see it affecting businesses in the nook and crannies of the country so there!, seanet03! !
Mogbo e
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by seanet03: 7:30pm On Jun 30, 2011
obowunmi:

Many walmart products are from China. undecided undecided

thats why its CHEAP.
I won't mind Cheap Ladies too if they have a very large expanse of land at Bakassi Peninsula
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by aljharem3: 7:33pm On Jun 30, 2011
seanet03:

I won't mind Cheap Ladies too if they have a very large expanse of land at Bakassi Peninsula

it like u are tribalism it's self

ever post is tribalistic, u no dey tire angry
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by seanet03: 7:37pm On Jun 30, 2011
alj_harem:

it like u are tribalism it's self

ever post is tribalistic, u no dey tire angry
Is my post tribalistic by this? or you dey smoke crack
seanet03:

Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Ify27(m): 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2011
Make walmart build 6 hospitals and 6 schools for every walmart they open.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by queensmith: 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2011
O yea just what we need- another capitalist market for the few middle class lagosians that think they are rich. I mean were never gonna hear anybody announce the opening of a co-op in nigeria, are we?? Kmt
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 8:25pm On Jun 30, 2011
Ify27:

Make walmart build 6 hospitals and 6 schools for every walmart they open.

I want to like this comment. Yes boss! They will STOP all expansions with immediate effect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Secrets About Making Money Online That You Should Know / The Central Bank Of Nigeria - Owned And Controlled By 'the Rothschilds' / What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.