Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Walmart In Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Walmart In Nigeria (19461 Views)

Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) / Walmart In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Tyche(m): 8:47pm On Jun 30, 2011
They are welcomed.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by vladimiros: 8:54pm On Jun 30, 2011
if you people don't like walmart paying low

then don`t buy, start up ur own

and pay high
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by tpia5: 8:54pm On Jun 30, 2011
indifferent.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Debroslink: 8:57pm On Jun 30, 2011
very good
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by cap28: 9:12pm On Jun 30, 2011
Walmart are in nigeria for just one thing - to amass as much money as they can for themselves whilst using nigerian workers as modern day slaves - and judging from the way other multinationals are operating in nigeria they are going to be laughing all the way to the bank with the nigerian workers ending up as glorfied plantation workers.

Research the way they operate in america and you will find out the following:

they pay their employees starvation wages and offer mainly part time work

the average american employee makes $18,000 a  year whereas Walmart's profits as at the first quarter of 2011 (jan - march) were $3.3 million  

they take out life insurance policies on their employees known as "dead peasant's policies" which stipulate that when an employee dies a lump sum is paid to the employer and not the employee's family or dependants

most of their employees are so badly paid that they can not afford to have deductions made from their pay towards the companies health insurance or pension benefits and many have to supplement their meagre income with food stamps and other govt assistance programmes

none of their stores have union representation - (without union representation workers have no collective rights and can be sacked or have their pay cut  whenever the employer feels like)

they put local retailers out of business - by the way i thought goodluck jonathan was talking about BANNING foreign imports in order to allow the growth of local businesses -why then is he allowing WALMART into nigeria - doesnt he understand taht this will put hundreds of nigerians out of jobs and business?

If they can do all of the above to their own workers in america with the collusion of their own govt - imagine what they will get away with in nigeria.

since nigeria has no social welfare safety net in the form of food stamps, income support or subsidised housing it is very likely that many desperate nigerian workers will be forced to work for a lot less than their american counterparts and the lack of effective labour legislation will ensure substandard working conditions for nigerian employees.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 9:14pm On Jun 30, 2011
^^^ you are a wise man.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by cap28: 9:23pm On Jun 30, 2011
^^^

cheers mate
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by ragdollz: 9:28pm On Jun 30, 2011
Lol if they're anything like Primark or Peacocks in the UK then I'm sure their wages will be bottom of the barrel grin grin. But at least the Nigerians at home will look more like their counterparts in US with the same cheap shopping habits grin grin
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by opositive(m): 9:34pm On Jun 30, 2011
@ violent, normally am just a spectator on NL but this time you are making me talk.your level of ignorance is staggering(judging from all your posts i have seen),not hating, just stating facts.i know that low prices dont always mean low pay jobs.for your info am an enterpreneur and i will create those opportunities for people soon (nuff said)
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 9:35pm On Jun 30, 2011
seanet03:

I won't mind Cheap Ladies too if they have a very large expanse of land at Bakassi Peninsula

Do we know each other ? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 30, 2011
hope it wont be another social status icon like ShopRite, Game, etc,
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by JBL316: 10:12pm On Jun 30, 2011
we have enuf shops in lagos. i'll suggest maiduguri and bauchi. wink
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by damola1: 10:28pm On Jun 30, 2011
no be today, wey yansh don dey for back,
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Horus(m): 10:32pm On Jun 30, 2011
In America Walmart DOES sell guns. What about in Nigeria?. Well, I know there are all kinds of reasons to own a rifle or a shotgun, but that doesn't mean that someone can't use those guns to kill people.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by JayKid1(m): 10:34pm On Jun 30, 2011
Okay, we've heard. and we are waiting to see what happens when they eventually come in lipsrsealed
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by omoola007(m): 11:28pm On Jun 30, 2011
Ify27:

Make walmart build 6 hospitals and 6 schools for every walmart they open.

They usually do some social welfare. At least they wont sell fake stuff or price based on looks and you wont have to wear battle armour to go shopping.

Overall they will raise everyone's game. Maybe revive abakaliki made( in a good way) remember when things were manufactured in Nigeria be it low quality knock off but with demand and proper Market guidance these places can be revived to serve the global Market. If you make a competitive product that walmart sells you automatically become global.

There is an upside to walmart although I definitely acknowledge the bad side.( the squeeze juice out of orange peelings) but it motivates the peeling to produce juice cheesy
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by ZnO: 12:11am On Jul 01, 2011
Slave-driving retail store where clerks stand from morning till night, the reason they were kicked out of Germany.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 01, 2011
Walmart is better than fake stuff imo. slave trading or not wink

I hope one is close to Ekiti sha kiss
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by umechuma: 12:21am On Jul 01, 2011
Walmart will not make any difference in Nigeria retail markets in terms of low pricing.Their products are cheap because 80% of their products are Made in China and very low in quality.Am very sure big markets in Lagos,Aba and Onitsha will still sale cheaper than Walmart because of their low overhead cost but Walmart overhead will be high(energy cost) and higher pricing.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by iragbijile: 12:22am On Jul 01, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Walmart is better than fake stuff imo. slave trading or not wink

I hope one is close to Ekiti sha kiss

I hope you and people you know get to work for Walmart.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:24am On Jul 01, 2011
umechuma:

Walmart will not make any difference in Nigeria retail markets in terms of low pricing.Their products are cheap because 80% of their products are Made in China and very low in quality.Am very sure big markets in Lagos,Aba and Onitsha will still sale cheaper than Walmart because of their low overhead cost but Walmart overhead will be high(energy cost) and higher pricing.
90%, but how does that change anything?
WalMart products are supposed to be cheap, and they're still oneof the biggest cooperation.
Fake vs cheap, choose one.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by iragbijile: 12:25am On Jul 01, 2011
cap28:

Walmart are in nigeria for just one thing - to amass as much money as they can for themselves whilst using nigerian workers as modern day slaves - and judging from the way other multinationals are operating in nigeria they are going to be laughing all the way to the bank with the nigerian workers ending up as glorfied plantation workers.

Research the way they operate in america and you will find out the following:

they pay their employees starvation wages and offer mainly part time work

the average american employee makes $18,000 a  year whereas Walmart's profits as at the first quarter of 2011 (jan - march) were $3.3 million  

they take out life insurance policies on their employees known as "dead peasant's policies" which stipulate that when an employee dies a lump sum is paid to the employer and not the employee's family or dependants

most of their employees are so badly paid that they can not afford to have deductions made from their pay towards the companies health insurance or pension benefits and many have to supplement their meagre income with food stamps and other govt assistance programmes

none of their stores have union representation - (without union representation workers have no collective rights and can be sacked or have their pay cut  whenever the employer feels like)

they put local retailers out of business - by the way i thought goodluck jonathan was talking about BANNING foreign imports in order to allow the growth of local businesses -why then is he allowing WALMART into nigeria - doesnt he understand taht this will put hundreds of nigerians out of jobs and business?

If they can do all of the above to their own workers in america with the collusion of their own govt - imagine what they will get away with in nigeria.

since nigeria has no social welfare safety net in the form of food stamps, income support or subsidised housing it is very likely that many desperate nigerian workers will be forced to work for a lot less than their american counterparts and the lack of effective labour legislation will ensure substandard working conditions for nigerian employees.

Good job. You've said it all

No to WALMART in Nigeria. But knowing how Nigerians like to be like America, without the brains of Americans, I wont be surprised to see WALMART in Nigeria.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by iragbijile: 12:26am On Jul 01, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

90%, but how does that change anything?
WalMart products are supposed to be cheap, and they're still oneof the biggest cooperation.
Fake vs cheap, choose one.

Walmart Cheap = repackaged fakes.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by violent(m): 12:31am On Jul 01, 2011
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by mushufan2(m): 2:29am On Jul 01, 2011
@ cap28 &irabijile yall some two dumb fools I swear talking shit about walmart all ure info r just wrong its a blessing dat walmart is gonna b in nigeria talking dey pay their workers shit n who told u dat dumb ass also u never included d benefits workers get for working dere lol do u even knw how hard it is to get a job at walmart u talking about their employees complaiming for ure info walmart pays minimum wage to new workers with less ecperience and in usa d lowest minimum wage now is $7.50 per hour which is#1,192 I wonder who will pay u dat to just talk to customers that walk into ure shop u better get ure facts straight also ure talking about d richest company in d world, walmart can survive as a country on its own dey even have deir own car theres nothong u cant biy at walmart anything dey gat it so stop confussing peoples mind about shit u dont know geez
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by cap28: 2:45am On Jul 01, 2011
^^^

I know working in walmart woudl be a dream come true for you because you sound like you just arrived in america, walmart loves employing people like you with no education and minimal communication skills, you know why? because you are a source of cheap labour. i know compared to what you left behind in nigeria working in walmart must be heaven for you.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 2:49am On Jul 01, 2011
Why would they build a Walmart in impoverished Ekiti? lol

Ileke-Idi do you think Walmart is dumb?
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 2:51am On Jul 01, 2011
I will only support Walmart if they partner with an indigenous businessman.

Simply called it EzeMart or UcheMart.  cool

And they must sell some Nigerian products.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:52am On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

Why would they build a Walmart in impoverished Ekiti? lol

Ileke-Idi do you think Walmart is dumb?

Learn to read before you try to make a smart comment.

I said "close to Ekiti". It wont be created in Ekiti for less serious reason compared to why it wont be created in Abia.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:53am On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

I will only support Walmart if they partner with an indigenous businessman.

Simply called it EzeMart or UcheMart.  cool

And they must sell some Nigerian products.

Dont worry. Powder apku will be in the "Bathroom Supplies" section.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 2:54am On Jul 01, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Learn to read before you try to make a smart comment.

I said "close to Ekiti". It wont be created in Ekiti for less serious reason compared to why it wont be created in Abia.

There is no comparison between Abia and Ekiti. grin

Compare your state with Ebonyi state.

And I read it very well.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:55am On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

There is no comparison between Abia and Ekiti.  grin

Compare your state with Ebonyi state.

And I read it very well.

Then English comprehension must not be your Forte.

Yea, you're right. Very different. Landfill is not eating up Ekiti like Abia  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Central Bank Of Nigeria - Owned And Controlled By 'the Rothschilds' / What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? / CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.