Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Walmart In Nigeria - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Walmart In Nigeria (19462 Views)

Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) / Walmart In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Walmart In Nigeria by pleep(m): 12:38am On Jul 04, 2011
jidegirl12:

and i believe it was dismissed. smiley
@ jidegirl I made that point in oder to highlight the fact that many people are unhappy with walmarts treatment of its employees.

@ topic Walmart is a company that opens a store in a community with prices so low that every other retailer is forced to move or is put out of bissiness. In the first few years they sell their items for only pennies on the dollar and hardly making any profit until all their competers are eliminated. I live five minutes a way from a 'superwalmart' and so far in my community 4 stores have gone out of bissness. B-lo, K-mart, Win Dixie, food lion, etc. They even sell electronics and auto repair. I gotta admit they are convienient smiley but they end up destroying more jobs then they create. undecided

After perhaps the first couple of years they begin to increase their prices slowly, then "rollback" then slowly increase them again. until a shopping cart that would have cost you 80$  costs like 100$.

Its genius but its not going to help nigeria.

Nigerians need to stop looking for a forigen messiah to solve all our problems, I mean walmart? seriously? This generation is selling away nigeria's future.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:48am On Jul 04, 2011
Nigeria needs Walmart than Walmart needs Nigeria!

I am tired of seeing tiny shops dealing on fake Chinese goods and sell them at high prices. It is foreign investment that will benefit Nigeria - employment for the population and tax money for the govt. One thing is that the govt. can not make use of the tax money for the good of the nation.

Bad Nigerian govt.!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by DONBENSON1: 11:52am On Jul 04, 2011
Lets wait and see what happens, we don't have to condemn Walmart b4 they arrive. Many don't like good thing when is coming from other pple. What role have yu played to create low paying jobs for criminals, kidnappers and hoodlums in your village. Stop criticizing!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Elpieda: 6:22pm On Jul 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

How many people who have actually worked at walmart at one point or another did you consult for their opinion in this? I happen to have worked at one time myself at walmart and particular enjoyed the flexibility and the opportunities that the experience provided me. Sure out of about 100 million employes, there will be the 1% or less who have a problem. That is by no means reason to blacken the name of the company, or is it? undecided undecided undecided

Whether you worked there or not the fact still remains most of the employees at Walmart are unhappy with the place but more often than not they don't have other viable options at the moment or whatever their circumstances are at that point in time. And since you enjoyed working there, good for you, You should have remained and advanced there. That still does not take away the fact that they treat their employees like crap. I have not worked there but most of my peeps have worked there and none had anything good to say about it and when I say none, I mean none.

But I cant tell the end from the beginning just yet. I am only looking at it from an Economist perspective and seeing the good and bad, Only time will tell.

So come on over WallyWorld, Lets see what you have to offer.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 05, 2011
Let them come it is better than not having them at all. At least better than Islamic Banking!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by cvibe: 8:10pm On Jul 07, 2011
lol
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 10:07pm On Jul 07, 2011
Walmart is certainly better than useless chinese employers. I can assure you that. undecided undecided
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by 9javoice1(m): 8:50pm On Jul 04, 2012
what if yoruba's and core notherners were right on their wish about the fall of igbo business when walmart comes!

what about yorubas and core northerners condition if walmart comes?
that thing that kills a lion don't you think it will grand cat like dust?
who pays money to all these Alaye's them around every market in yoruba land?
who will buy landed property from bankrupted fellows around lagos?
when middle class become low class, then initial low class will be abject poor.
how come yorubas and hausas are seing the dust in another's eye but could not see the plank in their's?
only "envy and hatred" alone can do this to a man.
what if walmart takes over nigeria market completely do you think igbo's will suffer more? hahahahaha

But anyway walmart company are disturbed on how to survive in a country where igbo's control business. this is true.

i met an indian man ones and he ask me where am from and i say "Ghana",and the man said that i look igbo to him.
he said that only igbo's are stoping them from taking over african market,
infact that they are afraid of igbo's presence in any market they are in.

a chinese man has said similar thing to me too.
If Middle east and south asia that are the power force of trading fears igbo's, who is the westerner's? wait and see,
Dangote and Obj never blv that Ibeto can bounce back,
but watch it he is back and 10yrs from now he will be on top.
Destiny can only be delayed but not denied, if you doubt this ask Awolowo and core northern elites.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Central Bank Of Nigeria - Owned And Controlled By 'the Rothschilds' / What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? / CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.