Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? (4287 Views)

Lessons From The Story Of Jephthah And Human Sacrifice. / Why Will God Sacrifice His Only Son When He Can Simply Do This?? / Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:49am On Mar 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

The highlighted questions!
A burnt offering is that which nobody is to taste any of it's body parts, it's to be burnt completely in fire on the altar as a sweet aroma to JEHOVAH! Leviticus 8:18:21
So how come a human being is reserved for a burnt offering before JEHOVAH since Jehovah never demanded human sacrifice? Jeremiah 7:31; 19:5
I will stop here for now! smiley

Jehovah God owns everything we could think of so nothing belongs to us, but because of His underserved kindness (grace) He has given us a share of His property to make us feel a sense of belonging. When we borrow money from our fellowman we make use of the money given to us but after working and earning another money we pay back the equivalent of what we owe.
The case of BURNT OFFERINGS differs it is to be given to God as a whole nothing to be reserved for the giver it will serve as a sweet aroma to JEHOVAH while it is burnt completely! Leviticus 1:3-9
Now we humans are created in God's image unlike all other creatures our life means a lot to JEHOVAH because we serve not with instinct but from the hearts since we have a choice whether to serve or not.
So when a person is given to God as a BURNT OFFERING to JEHOVAH it means such a person has nothing to give back to himself or parents all his/her life will be dedicated to the service of JEHOVAH. That's why Jephthah's daughter never got married, her whole life has been given the service of JEHOVAH.
During the resurrection she will have another life when the former covenant is no more then she will marry a man of her choice and enjoy a blissful matrimony in Paradise where there is nothing to make her fear, cry or mourn not for just 80, 90 or 100 years but forever! Psalms 37:29 smiley
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:44am On Mar 22, 2022
Did Jephthah sacrifice his daughter to the Lord?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Q0_ca4nXE
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by PastorAIO: 11:04am On Mar 22, 2022
Ezekiel 20:25

25Moreover, I gave them statutes that were not good and rules by which they could not have life, 26and I defiled them through their very gifts in their offering up all their firstborn, that I might devastate them. I did it that they might know that I am the LORD.

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 22, 2022
peggywebbs:
Did you really read the scriptures?

The story of Jephthah is a typical example of how God does not support murder or human sacrifice. The man promised to kill the first person that comes to him after winning the war. It so happened it was his daughter. Immediately he regretted it.

It was a very big lesson never to take someone's life for the sport of it. He would have happily killed a random innocent person, God taught him and every one who reads that story a big lesson.

No he didn't. Judges 11:31 says, "I will give to the LORD whatever comes out of my house to meet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”

They way the houses were built those days, animals lived below and he was expecting an animal to first come out not a human.

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:35pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

No he didn't. Judges 11:31 says, "I will give to the LORD whatever comes out of my house to meet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”

They way the houses were built those days, animals lived below and he was expecting an animal to first come out not a human.

Trick question: Would he have sacrificed a dog if it came out to meet him? cool

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:38pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorAIO:

25Moreover, I gave them statutes that were not good and rules by which they could not have life, 26and I defiled them through their very gifts in their offering up all their firstborn, that I might devastate them. I did it that they might know that I am the LORD.

The same way God hardened the heart of Pharaoh and all those who hate him. cool
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:40pm On Mar 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Jehovah God owns everything we could think of so nothing belongs to us, but because of His underserved kindness (grace) He has given us a share of His property to make us feel a sense of belonging. When we borrow money from our fellowman we make use of the money given to us but after working and earning another money we pay back the equivalent of what we owe.
The case of BURNT OFFERINGS differs it is to be given to God as a whole nothing to be reserved for the giver it will serve as a sweet aroma to JEHOVAH while it is burnt completely! Leviticus 1:3-9
Now we humans are created in God's image unlike all other creatures our life means a lot to JEHOVAH because we serve not with instinct but from the hearts since we have a choice whether to serve or not.
So when a person is given to God as a BURNT OFFERING to JEHOVAH it means such a person has nothing to give back to himself or parents all his/her life will be dedicated to the service of JEHOVAH. That's why Jephthah's daughter never got married, her whole life has been given the service of JEHOVAH.
During the resurrection she will have another life when the former covenant is no more then she will marry a man of her choice and enjoy a blissful matrimony in Paradise where there is nothing to make her fear, cry or mourn not for just 80, 90 or 100 years but forever! Psalms 37:29 smiley

Was Jephthah qualified to offer burnt sacrifices to the Lord? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Yeah grin
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

When you vow a sacrifice, you take it to the priest, not do it yourself.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:43pm On Mar 22, 2022
Kobojunkie:

See.... the question is simple....did Jephthah actually sacrifice his daughter to get Lord as a burnt offering as the story says he did?. undecided

According to the writer of the story, Jephthah sacrificed his daughter believing he did it onto God, same way billions of so called Christians today claim they serve God this by bowing down ,not directly to God's Law , but to the doctrines and traditions of men(and their churches), even after Jesus Christ denounced all such submission as being against God's Truth and such worship as being meaningless/void. You all still go about claiming your worship is in the name of God so how is that any different from the claim made in the story told of Jephthah and his act. undecided

So, skip over the long talk... no need for unnecessary lectures, go straight to answering the question. undecided

Did Jephthah kill his daughter? Yes or No. No long story. cool

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:45pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

When you vow a sacrifice, you take it to the priest, not do it yourself.

Good try. wink

Second question: If it was a dog that was unfortunate to meet Jephthah would he have taken the dog to the priest as a burnt offering to the Lord?
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Second question: If it was a dog that was unfortunate to meet Jephthah would he have taken the dog to the priest as a burnt offering to the Lord?

As an Israelite, he wouldn't have kept a dog, if they deem it as unclean. The same way the Egyptians found cattle abhorrent so Joseph's family had to live in Goshen away from them.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:51pm On Mar 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

The highlighted questions!
A burnt offering is that which nobody is to taste any of it's body parts, it's to be burnt completely in fire on the altar as a sweet aroma to JEHOVAH! Leviticus 8:18:21

So how come a human being is reserved for a burnt offering before JEHOVAH since Jehovah never demanded human sacrifice? Jeremiah 7:31; 19:5

I will stop here for now! smiley

The question is, did Jephthah offer his daughter as a dead sacrifice to the Lord? No prevaricating. cool

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:55pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

As an Israelite, he wouldn't have kept a dog, if they deem it as unclean. The same way the Egyptians found cattle abhorrent so Joseph's family had to live in Goshen away from them.

It is possible for a dog to have strayed into his compound, a neighbour's wife, child or visitor could have come out to meet him. Would he have proceeded to fulfil his vow if it meant taking them to the priest as a sacrifice? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:58pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

Yeah grin

A dog is an unclean animal, would that be acceptable to God and would the priest agree to offer it? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:25pm On Mar 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Go and read Leviticus 1:1-9!
Jephthah is an ISRAELITE and the law of their God clearly stated that BURNT OFFERINGS can be offered by ISRAELITES! smiley
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:26pm On Mar 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

The question is, did Jephthah his daughter as a dead sacrifice to the Lord? No prevaricating. cool

I'm not responding to please you so if you can't figure out the answer in my write-up then go and ask Kumuyi! wink
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:04pm On Mar 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Go and read Leviticus 1:1-9!
Jephthah is an ISRAELITE and the law of their God clearly stated that BURNT OFFERINGS can be offered by ISRAELITES! smiley

If you've been paying attention you would have realised that only priests are qualified to offer sacrifices to the Lord. In this context are human beings to be offered as burnt offerings?

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:12pm On Mar 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

I'm not responding to please you so if you can't figure out the answer in my write-up then go and ask Kumuyi! wink

In other words, you ain't got a clue. cool

2 Likes

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by PastorAIO: 5:03pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorAIO:

OLAADEGBU:

The same way God hardened the heart of Pharaoh and all those who hate him. cool

Eh ehn. Abeg, harden hearts and giving statutes and rules are two different things.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorAIO:

Eh ehn. Abeg, harden hearts and giving statutes and rules are two different things.

Who is able keep the 10 commandments, if any? undecided

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by PastorAIO: 5:19pm On Mar 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Who is able keep the 10 commandments, if any? undecided
The person whose heart hasn’t been hardened to break them…. Supposedly

Who is able to sacrifice their own children?
Ans: people following the commands of yhwh.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:22pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorAIO:

In other words no one is able to keep the decalogue perfectly. God only permitted the hardened hearted to persist in their criminality. cool

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:31pm On Mar 22, 2022
PastorAIO:

Who is able to sacrifice their own children?
Ans: people following the commands of yhwh.

Wrong. False old prophet.

"For I desire mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings" (Hosea 6:6).

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by johnw47: 11:17pm On Mar 22, 2022
God's people false jw mad max, banned again for sewer mouth smiley

Ye are of your father the devil, john 8

matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:38am On Mar 23, 2022
johnw47:

God's people false jw mad max, banned again for sewer mouth smiley

Ye are of your father the devil, john 8

Oh dear! I warned him that he has entered one chance. grin

2 Likes

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by johnw47: 12:41am On Mar 23, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Oh dear! I warned him that he has entered one chance. grin

he doesn't listen to truth smiley

2 Likes

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by AkinwaleJJ(f): 5:28am On Mar 23, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

If you've been paying attention you would have realised that only priests are qualified to offer sacrifices to the Lord. In this context are human beings to be offered as burnt offerings?

All Israelites can offer sacrifices to their God but only the priests can go near the altar to PERFORM the sacrifice! 2Chronicles 26:18
From MaxInDHouse
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by AkinwaleJJ(f): 5:30am On Mar 23, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

In other words, you ain't got a clue. cool
I'm not answering to satisfy you, but if anyone among the sincere followers ask me i will oblige.
From MaxInDHouse.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by NNTR: 5:32am On Mar 23, 2022
peggywebbs:

The story of Jephthah is a typical example of how God does not support murder or human sacrifice. The man promised to kill the first person that comes to him after winning the war. It so happened it was his daughter. Immediately he regretted it.

It was a very big lesson never to take someone's life for the sport of it. He would have happily killed a random innocent person, God taught him and every one who reads that story a big lesson.
Asked the question because it's clear that its you actually who didnt read story properly, correctly and deep enough
Where, really, in that narrative, did you read that Jephthah unequivocally promised to kill the first person that comes to him after winning the war?

PastorMIsBack:

Yeah you're absolutely right he didnt hence why I liked the post
On top, Judges 11:31 is a veiled double vow, with the animal part of the vow, masked. Call it a combo vow or double whammy vow, if you like, even alternatively call it, a two tier or two-fold vow, as well, loll.

OLAADEGBU:
Nah, it won't happen, same way it wouldnt happen to sacrifice human beings as burned offering to God

PastorMIsBack:
Yeah grin
Of course, not Yeah, as since the criteria is a clean animal, the dog would have gained a reprieve, meaning, a stay of execution, as it were, and so not be sacrificed, loll

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? by NNTR: 5:47am On Mar 23, 2022
OLAADEGBU:
Good try. wink

PastorMIsBack:
Job 30:1
But now I am mocked by people younger than I, by young men whose fathers are not worthy to run with my sheepdogs.

Matthew 15:26-28
'26But Jesus replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
27“Yes, Lord,” she said, “ even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”
28“O woman,” Jesus answered, “your faith is great! Let it be done for you as you desire.”
And her daughter was healed from that very hour
'

For your info, Israelites do keep dogs. As a matter of fact, that Job 30:1, you see up there, is about a sheep dog, while, Matthew 15:26-27 is about a pet dog

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Concept Of SIN: Islam Versus Christianity / All Atheist Must Read This / 666 Officially Launched Today Under Covid-19 - Check Yahoo News!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.