Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry (15883 Views)

Coffins Of Ocholi, His Wife And Son, To Be Buried Today (Photos) / Fashola Sent Award Winning Photographer To Photography School. Inspiring Story. / The Katsina Lawmaker Who Sent His Children To A Public School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by bubbllie(m): 8:46am On Jul 01, 2011
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, on Thursday said he had sent one of his children to a carpenter’s workshop to learn vocational skills.

He spoke during the maiden edition of Governor’s Education Award held in Lagos on Thursday.

One hundred and twenty six schools that distinguished themselves in the utilisation of the Lagos Eko Secondary Education Project (Eko Project) were rewarded with N2m each by the state government.

The Lagos Eko project is part of the government’s effort at improving the overall quality of education and learning outcomes of pupils in the 629 junior and senior public schools in the state over four years.

Fashola told the audience that he was surprised that his son could not fix a plug after six years of sound post-primary education.

“I called my son and asked him, what do you want to do now that you have finished your secondary education? He replied, ‘I want to do something with my hand.

“And I asked him, can you fix a plug? He said no. Then, I knew there was a problem and we (my wife and I) decided to send him to a carpenter’s workshop to acquire some skills,’’ the governor said.

On the award, Fashola said that 126 junior and senior secondary schools, out of 628 schools in the state would receive an award of N2m each, towards the improvement of their schools.

Culled From The Punch Newspaper, Friday 1st July, 2011.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by werepeLeri: 9:29am On Jul 01, 2011
Lie - big one for that matter.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by homerac7: 9:56am On Jul 01, 2011
^^ guy, y wld u just dismiss it as a lie, u dey there? It's not impossible, just dt u don't expect him to send his son to Baba Rasaki d carpenter, rather to serve as apprentice/IT student in places like Lifemates and other high class furniture companies wc d father can always arrange easily.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by thetelz(m): 10:02am On Jul 01, 2011
Waka jam you and Fashola,na carpenter dey fit plug for your house abi. Even if he sends his son to learn carpentry,why's he telling us?
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Gbawe: 10:15am On Jul 01, 2011
the_telz:

Waka jam you and Fashola,na carpenter dey fit plug for your house abi. Even if he sends his son to learn carpentry,why's he telling us?

Fashola , as an exposed and well-traveled leader, may just be using his own personal situation to demonstrate that the acquisition of vocational skill is a good thing and not something to be looked down upon as we do routinely in Nigeria. We have professionals in the UK  who are doing DIY (do it yourself) courses at the weekend in plumbing , Carpentry, electrical installation etc. Myopically, we frown on manual skills in Nigeria with everyone wanting to work in a bank or other "prestigous" jobs. Come and check the UK out where Corgi-certified plumbers , at 23, earn far more than bank managers do.

Dignity in labour is a principle that progressive societies need to understand and adopt.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by werepeLeri: 10:31am On Jul 01, 2011
I wonder what people would have said if this had been said by a PDP fellow.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by homerac7: 10:48am On Jul 01, 2011
@ Gbawe,

I tire o!

There's nothing, absolutely nothing debasing abt learning trades in any form. Relegation of same is what is killing our economy here at home. Everybody wan b Oga mentality. DIY is something still strange to us here bcom all of us want to b d monkey in suit.

I'm an engineer by training and practice, I learnt dt d difference BTW me and d "highly skilled" oyinbo is because of hw dey can switch modes from computer to paper to hands on, whc is not d style here. Sharp sharp, na him I learn d base trades and today I'm much better for it.

And I now say dt for technical education in Nigeria, I wld recommend starting age of 13/14 to start ur vocational training as against just paper qualifications we carry around. By d time d subject is 24/25, he is good enough to lead any project in his line of training in addition to his final uneversity/polytechnic degree. It's only way we can keep up wt d emerging dynamics is technical professions.

Back to topic, its a vocational training for heaven sake! Many women r bankers, teachers, nurses et al yet they hav vocational jobs in aso oke weaving, beads making, tailoring and other things. What vocational training r d boys picking up around here, can someone please tell me?
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by kodewrita(m): 10:55am On Jul 01, 2011
Has anyone heard of Ingvar Kamprad? Or maybe his company Ikea? one-time richest guy in the world? A carpenter for more than 40+ years. Its not what cards life gives you, but what you play with the cards.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by homerac7: 11:14am On Jul 01, 2011
Yes, d Swede. He is presently a major player in oil and gas even here in Nigeria.

Like I said earlier, an average Nigeria wants to b d monkey in suit. We hardly have mechanics dt can fix modern cars because its too complicated for dem, yet we hav large army of aeronautic engineers. Everybody na building contractor, yet nobody can make ordinary refractory bricks.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by dustydee: 11:46am On Jul 01, 2011
whta's wrong with that? I wish I had acquired a vocational skill in addition to my degree.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by enyojo(f): 11:53am On Jul 01, 2011
Bricklaying, here I come!! cool
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by homerac7: 1:01pm On Jul 01, 2011
^^ haaaaaaa! shocked shocked shocked

If u get muscle like Hulk Hogan nko? All dem eligible broses go run frm u b dat na. Abeg maintain dt ur neck-twisting lekpacious shape for we "gbomo-gbomo" like ds na. cool cool tongue grin
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by tpia5: 1:26pm On Jul 01, 2011
It doesnt mean the son wont go on to college.

I also wish i'd acquired some skills in that manner.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by houvest: 2:40pm On Jul 01, 2011
Good one. Struggling now to learn many DIY chores after all this bookwork. Should have acquired them earlier.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EkoIle1: 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2011
First Governor's Education Award For Secondary Schools

Jun 30, 2011 - I welcome you all warmly to this very first Governor's Education Award ceremony which is one of our many diversified strategies for improving the quality of education.

We have evolved as a nation from many challenges in our education sector to which I dare say that with political will, we have historically triumphed.

At a time, the problem was access, because many young people were unable to get an opportunity to get an education. In the last few years, the problem of access has been substantially surmounted and our State has a proud literary record of over 84% and the current challenge that we have to deal with is the quality.

This has manifested itself in many forms ranging from the school environment and infrastructure, to the type and sufficiency of learning aids and instructional materials, the quality of human personnel and of course the efficiency of regulation to monitor standard.

I am happy to announce that gradually but very steadily, the challenges are being methodically tacked and surmounted.

One of the commendable strategies, to address quality, improve infrastructure and content was the decision by Government in the previous administration to return schools to the missionary societies in a way that has helped Government reduce its burden, share the responsibility with private sector and forge an enduring partnership to bring greater participation into the education sector.

Another initiative was the establishment of Schools Rehabilitation Committee to aggressively tackle the depreciating school infrastructure, the payment of examination fees, the School Milk Programme and many other initiatives that have inputs into the sector.

As inheritors of those initiatives, we have continued them and done our best to add value to them.

In an attempt to increase private sector participation in education, we have created a programme called "Adopt a School" which allows individuals and corporates organizations, who are not missionary societies, to get involved by taking up whole schools or parts of a school for rehabilitation, reconstruction or maintenance as they deem fit.

We have provided books free procured with tax payers' funds and delivered them to students without charge.

We have resuscitated voluntary societies and clubs in the schools to make them more attractive for our children; and we are aggressively reducing the deficit of school infrastructure by provision of thousands of desks and chairs for students and teachers.

There is an increasing training and re-training of teachers to familiarize them with current trends and teaching methods.

Our recently concluded report of school audit shows that we have exceeded the target of 50 (fifty) students per classroom that we set in 2007 on the average because we are seeing an average of 42 students in our classrooms.

This does not mean that in some places we do not have overcrowded classrooms; just as in some cases we have severely under-populated classrooms.

What the report has done is to provide is useful data which will now inform our policy for the situation and location of new schools as a methodical strategy to finally eliminate overcrowding now that we can identify and isolate the areas where the problem still persist.

We have also through the Eko Education Project, increased funding directly to the Schools, by placing the funds in the hands of principals and teachers, working with the School PTA to directly manage their school needs and eliminate the bureaucracy and delays that sometimes occur in funding recurrent expenditure through the Ministry.

We have recently also conducted a conversion training for graduates in various disciplines who have now been posted to our schools to assist our students in critical core subjects just before this year's final examinations commenced.

We are hopeful that we will see some improvements in their results that will be traceable to this and previous initiatives as we have noticed the annual percentage pass results gradually increasing from 2007 – 2010 from 7%, 10%, 18% and 21% for each consecutive year.

By way of specific summary, let me re-cap some of our intervention and successes as follows:

• Commenced a programme of rehabilitation of classrooms, and till date a total of 2,876 (Two Thousand, Eight Hundred and Seventy Six) classrooms have so far been rehabilitated.

• 216 (Two Hundred and Sixteen) new classrooms were constructed in 2010 alone.

• Minor repairs of 52 (Fifty Two) secondary schools have been carried out so far.

• A total of 308,430 (Three Hundred and Eight Thousand, Four Hundred and Thirty) units of furniture were distributed to our schools, while 11,200 (Eleven Thousand, Two Hundred) units will be delivered before the end of the year.

• Science equipment worth over N390million (Three Hundred and Ninety Million Naira) were supplied to our secondary schools to encourage science teaching and learning.

• The Eko Project introduced the Volunteer Teachers Scheme (VTS) to complement efforts of permanent teachers in English, Mathematics and the Sciences. This widely applauded scheme has injected about 20,520 (Twenty Thousand, Five Hundred and Twenty) hours per month into the school system which is an equivalent of 183 (One Hundred and Eight Three) full time teachers.

• A special intervention programme for 495 (Four Hundred and Ninety Five) trainee teachers to assist WASCE candidates with extra coaching was also introduced and this has also been well commended.

• Teacher welfare has been promoted through increased teachers' salary.

• Direct funding of up to N3million (Three Million Naira) per secondary school has enabled schools to procure necessary equipment and instructional materials for teaching and learning.

I recognize the value of a sound education as the strongest weapon against poverty. I recognize the impact of qualitative education as a useful pillar of nation building and economic prosperity. I accept that it is not a short term undertaking and that it requires a lot of political will.

I am a product of the Nigerian education system and I am convinced that if we have done it before, we can recreate the days of our educational glory.

I accept the freedoms that our constitution guarantees for parents to make choices of schools for their children, but I remain committed for as long as I enjoy your trust and mandate, that with your cooperation we can deliver a public education system that competes favourably with the private sector funded schools in terms of quality of education.

The Governor's Education Award ceremony is therefore an initiative coined as improving the quality of education. It will compel us to more diligent monitoring of performances of our students, our schools and our teachers.

By the rewards that we will give through prizes, we will acknowledge merit and improvements in students, teachers, schools and districts and hopefully encourage others to challenge for honours year after year by improving their efforts and performances.

In this inaugural edition of the Governor's Award, 126 (One Hundred and Twenty Six) Junior and Senior Secondary Schools, out of 628 (Six Hundred and Twenty Eight) schools in the State will receive an award of N2million (Two Million Naira) each, towards the improvement of their schools.

Today's awardees have been selected based on their percentage improvement over a period of time in the standardized assessments administered by Lagos Eko Project. I am particularly impressed by the enterprising disposition of the awardees, because they have shown their commitment and determination to turn the huge investment in education into a much desired improved learning outcomes in public schools within a short space of time.

I realize that we are at an early stage of developing performance measurement of students' performance; however, I am confident that I will have cause, every year over the next four years to stand proud before you to announce further increase in students' performance.

This is not all. I have also decided to award the top 2 (two) secondary school Principals in each of the 6 (Six) Education Districts international training to boost best practices within our education system.

In order to broaden their experience and knowledge beyond formal school education, I have approved a guided tour of our newly constructed Independent Power Plants for 20 (twenty) students from the first 20 (twenty) schools in order to keep them busy during the long holiday and also give them a first-hand experience of what electricity generation is all about.

I will at this stage like to express gratitude to all of our partners and operators who have brought our education story thus far.

I salute our former Governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his vision and courage to start this journey; I acknowledge the roles of Commissioners and Special Advisers, Permanent Secretaries, Directors, past and present who have contributed to this journey.

I must reserve a special place of mention for the immediate past Deputy Governor, Princess Sara Adebisi Sosan for her commitment and dedication to improving the quality of our public education. To borrow the cliché, she was a round peg in a round hole. She rewarded my decision to entrust that Ministry to her with the diligence with which she carried out her responsibility.

Mrs. Omolara Erogbogbo, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education, the Tutors – General in the 6 (six) Education Districts, the Chairman of SUBEB, Mrs. Gbolahan Daodu and board members and of course, Ms. Ronke Azeez and members of the Ministries of Finance and Economic Planning & Budget who have negotiated and implemented the Eko Education Project in collaboration with the World Bank, all deserve our commendation for their selfless dedication and investment in developing the quality of our public education sector.

The World Bank's rating of the project as "highly satisfactory" is one of the highest that has recently been recorded by any World Bank Project.

Let me once again congratulate the award recipients of today and encourage other schools to emulate them and strive to be the best in their various education districts. Your recognition and award have clearly marked you out and I sincerely hope you will keep it up.

Thank you for listening.

Eko o ni baje o!

Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN
Governor of Lagos State

Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by tpia5: 3:40pm On Jul 01, 2011
it just pains me that fashola seems to be the only governor who is actually working?
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EkoIle1: 3:45pm On Jul 01, 2011
tpia@:

it just pains me that fashola seems to be the only governor who is actually working?

I mean, a day doesn't go by without having something new to say or post about this governor and his work.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EkoIle1: 3:59pm On Jul 01, 2011
Fashola and his some just highlighted our maintenance problem and culture in Nigeria, the average person can not DIY, they call the electrician, carpenter or the plumber for every little thing, some even can not do basic painting around their own house hence a lot of ugly and shabby looking building all over Nigeria.

How do you protect and maintain public properties if you yourself lack the DIY culture and mentality?

Just look at places like MIA and the dangling wires and blown out lights right inside the terminal. How much work and money is needed to fix a dangling and exposedd wire or a blown out fluorescent light? The fact is, the people in charge from top to bottom are clueless and they care less.

I really think the NYSC program should be reconfigured into a one year technical training program, this should be one of the solution and critical ways to solve our bad maintainable culture problem.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EzeUche(m): 4:00pm On Jul 01, 2011
tpia@:

That is a lie. He just have a good publicity team.

You have quiet workers like Amaechi and Sullivan Chime.

While Okorocha is transforming Imo state.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by homerac7: 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2011
^ Nwa nnem', must u argue dt and thereby tacitly bring in some shade of ethnic rivalry? Not dt he's absolutely right though, but u can let it pass.

Egbe belu, ugo belu
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EkoIle1: 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

What's there to publicize without any work to publicize? This is common sense, the man is working and the work is their for people to see and publicize, he can not force people to publicize what he's not doing. Must you sound re=tarded sometimes?

Maybe the other folks you mentioned are doing something in their towns and villages, but obviously not on Fashola's level and if you think they are, prove it by putting your money where your mouth is.

Talk is cheap.

Damn insecure people have to turn everything into ibo against everybody. I hate you clowns I swear,
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by dayokanu(m): 4:15pm On Jul 01, 2011
Go ACN
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by tpia5: 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

did anyone prevent you from providing evidence of whatever you say?
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EzeUche(m): 4:25pm On Jul 01, 2011
He simply has a good publicity team.

The way you all defend your messiah is hilarious! grin

Such zeal. . .
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by aljharem3: 4:30pm On Jul 01, 2011
fashola carry go, u understand us

EzeUche:

He simply has a good publicity team.

The way you all defend your messiah is hilarious! grin

Such zeal. . .

why are u bitter, fashola is far better than any chime etc

check records
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EzeUche(m): 4:32pm On Jul 01, 2011
Publicity! Publicity! Publicity!

This messiah worship of Fashola pisses me off.  angry
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by obowunmi(m): 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2011
Fashola, even though ure chopping all the money, I think ure a very smart man. Very wise. Working with your hands is one of the most lucrative things a real man can do. You are more opportuned to launch out on your own and own your own business. Congrats to Fashola for not being like most Nigerian parents and for helping his son achieve his dreams.
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by aljharem3: 4:37pm On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

Publicity! Publicity! Publicity!

This messiah worship of Fashola pisses me off.  angry

now tell me where was chime when corper were dying, was it not fashola that for them to be immortalised and compensated

where was chime when eko atlantic was been built

where was chime when the population of enugu is like 3 million when compare to lagos(th smallest state in nigeria) 18 million and 15 thousand come in every day

guy give fashola credit, i was passing oshodi the other day and it looked like i was in abuja/london or something

oshodi use to be a terrible place until he came it

check out oshodi roads now

up fashola
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by nobaga: 4:38pm On Jul 01, 2011
I am so impressed by the fact that he said it publicly.

This man has enogh money to send his son anywhere for as long as he wants holding a pen. Instead, he bowed to the wish of his son.

Yet, we cry everyday how we import glorified mechanics, plumbers, eletricians and carpenters into Nigeria as experts to work on mega project. Be serious, there are surplus pen pushers already unless you want to be a pen-robber. Nigeria needs skilled workers instead of importing them
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by Demdem(m): 4:38pm On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

For the first tenure, ok. i will give it to him but he seems to be sleeping after he won his re-election bid. aren't seeing anything here in PH yet abegiii
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by aljharem3: 4:40pm On Jul 01, 2011
Demdem:

For the first tenure, ok. i will give it to him but he seems to be sleeping after he won his re-election bid. aren't seeing anything here in PH yet abegiii

lets see if he completes the PH rail project everyone is excited about
Re: Fashola Sent His Son To Learn Carpentry by EzeUche(m): 4:43pm On Jul 01, 2011
Demdem:

I think Amaechi has been very busy, but he is working on behalf of the people.

Ogoniland is receiving massive investment worth billions of Naira thanks to Amaechi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Woos Plateau Governor After Supreme Court Verdict, Asks Him To Dump PDP / 'Colonel' Claiming To Be Jonathan’s ADC Arrested / Newspaper Threatens To Sue PDP For N7m Advert Debt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.