Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,641 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? (1326 Views)

My Ex- Girlfriend Wants Me To Impregnate Her. / This Picture Is The Reason Why I Think Its A Grave Offense To Be A SIMP As A Guy / 10 Ways Nigerian Men React When They Impregnate A Lady Out Of Wedlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 23, 2022
Dear Litigator,

I am in trouble, and my world is crumbling. I am 3 months pregnant out of wedlock at the age of 24.

I finished school in 2019 and was posted to serve my fatherland in 2020.

As a young developer, I wanted to serve in Lagos state. I was elated when Dapo, my boyfriend since school days, decided to pull some strings so I can come to Lagos. I was happy when I was eventually posted to Lagos state. Ha! I was in the 9th heaven.

Everything was rosy until lockdown when my boyfriend decided we should rent together since I was bored and alone.

We have been living together ever since, and he proposed marriage last year. However, he demanded that I get pregnant to show I am fertile before we proceed with the marriage.

The truth is we have been together since 2016, and I have never gotten pregnant for him, and he was worried. I saw reasons with him and decided to get pregnant since his parents know me, and we love ourselves. I was shocked when his mother kicked against the pregnancy sometime in January this year. My boyfriend started acting funny and avoiding me.

I heard he is making arrangements to relocate to Canada, leaving all by myself to care for the baby. What do I do?

My dad passed when I was in my finals, and my mum has been there for me. I can’t go back to her as she will be so disappointed, and this might escalate her health.

Kindly help me.
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by emmy512: 10:09am On Mar 23, 2022
Yes i kow. But what does the law say about it?
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by dawnomike(m): 10:18am On Mar 23, 2022
Guys are waiting to learn the verdict of the law on the matter... @litigator
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Uzomacharles: 11:24am On Mar 23, 2022
MAKE I LEAVE THIS ONE FOR ELDERS
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Moloso(m): 11:40am On Mar 23, 2022
Hmmmn.

Sorry for what happened, but then.

Why will you agree to that type of conditions. Seems you ladies don't learn from others mistakes they way guys do.

So I guy promise you marriage without his family consent and you agree na wa ooo, what is fueling your ignorance.

Love is just an illusion, don't allow emotion to overcome the sense of your reasoning una no go here word.

Guys will just sugar coat you into doing some crazy stuffs.

You can imagine if he live the country wetin you go do?

I don't know what to say again I dey vex sef carry your cross, since you no think well.

Don't abort that baby make I tell you

1 Like

Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Whazar(m): 12:11pm On Mar 23, 2022
Naso my first baby mama get belle that year, she believed I would automatically make her my wife

U Dey jonz!! After I confam my pikin say nah carbon copy omo naso I ask her to jazz out from my life oo

Nah pikin we want not marriage

1 Like

Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Ekejoestar(m): 12:24pm On Mar 23, 2022
He didn't pay ur bride price nor come to bring wine for your parents but you opened leg for him like lagos-ibadan highway.

Sin doesn't pay
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:12pm On Mar 23, 2022
you got what you deserved from having raw sex with a manchild that wasnt married to you... here is a clue: what happened to you is the direct consequences of having unprotected sex... aka YOU CAN GET PREGNANT, duh! you people had no right to want to have a baby in the sad situation that you were.
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by legallyminded: 8:20pm On Mar 23, 2022
This is not the western world OP. You made a big mistake. There are damages in law without remedy. This is one of them. Damnum sine injuria
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by jayworld15(m): 8:28pm On Mar 23, 2022
Moloso:
Hmmmn.

Sorry for what happened, but then.

Why will you agree to that type of conditions. Seems you ladies don't learn from others mistakes they way guys do.

So I guy promise you marriage without his family consent and you agree na wa ooo, what is fueling your ignorance.

Love is just an illusion, don't allow emotion to overcome the sense of your reasoning una no go here word.

Guys will just sugar coat you into doing some crazy stuffs.

You can imagine if he live the country wetin you go do?

I don't know what to say again I dey vex sef carry your cross, since you no think well.

Don't abort that baby make I tell you

You have my yes on the "love is an illusion." It's a game of manipulation between the the manipulated and the manipulator.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Nobody: 2:53am On Mar 24, 2022
Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your question.

I believe you want to inquire if you have a legal remedy in law.

My answer is yes. Yes! you have legal redress in both civil and criminal courts. But for this discourse, I will focus on the criminal aspect.

Let me state emphatically that it is a criminal offence to impregnate a woman or girl and not take responsibility for the maintenance of the pregnancy. It is also an offence to dessert a child younger than 12 years old.

This is encapsulated in S.279 of the Criminal Code Law of Lagos State (2011) which states that:

(1) Any person who impregnates a woman or girl and fails, refuses or neglects to contribute to maternity-related
costs from ante-natal to post-natal stages is guilty of an offence and is liable to a fine of Forty-Five Thousand Naira (N45,000.00) without prejudice to the recovery of any cost that any other person may have reasonably incurred in relation to the upkeep of the woman or girl.

(2) For the purpose of this Section, maternity-related costs include all medical expenses, food expenses, reasonable shelter and other necessaries.

(3) In determining the financial liability of a person under subsection (1) of this Section, the Court shall have regard to the means and resources available to him.

And Section 278 of the Law provides that:

“Any person who being the parent, guardian or other person having the lawful care or charge of a child under the age of twelve years, and being able to maintain such child, willfully and without lawful or reasonable cause deserts the child and leaves him without means of support, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to a fine of One Hundred Thousand Naira (N100,000.00) without prejudice to the recovery of any cost any other person may have reasonably incurred with respect to the upkeep of the child."

From the above position of the law, there is no gainsaying that you do not have a remedy in law. You could use the police or report at the domestic violence team of Lagos State Ministry of Justice.

For the Civil aspect which is more effective, you will need to approach the family court.

The truth remains that the Child Right Law and the Child Right Act was designed to protect the physical, psychological and mental health of every Nigerian child.

As a mother, you should take proper steps to ensure the baby's daddy or papa does the needful.

Shalom

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Godada(m): 3:53am On Mar 24, 2022

I doubt the Op is pregnant.

Na cruise e dey catch
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by legallyminded: 7:47am On Mar 24, 2022
litigator:
Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your question.

I believe you want to inquire if you have a legal remedy in law.

My answer is yes. Yes! you have legal redress in both civil and criminal courts. But for this discourse, I will focus on the criminal aspect.

Let me state emphatically that it is a criminal offence to impregnate a woman or girl and not take responsibility for the maintenance of the pregnancy. It is also an offence to dessert a child younger than 12 years old.

This is encapsulated in S.279 of the Criminal Code Law of Lagos State (2011) which states that:

(1) Any person who impregnates a woman or girl and fails, refuses or neglects to contribute to maternity-related
costs from ante-natal to post-natal stages is guilty of an offence and is liable to a fine of Forty-Five Thousand Naira (N45,000.00) without prejudice to the recovery of any cost that any other person may have reasonably incurred in relation to the upkeep of the woman or girl.

(2) For the purpose of this Section, maternity-related costs include all medical expenses, food expenses, reasonable shelter and other necessaries.

(3) In determining the financial liability of a person under subsection (1) of this Section, the Court shall have regard to the means and resources available to him.

And Section 278 of the Law provides that:

“Any person who being the parent, guardian or other person having the lawful care or charge of a child under the age of twelve years, and being able to maintain such child, willfully and without lawful or reasonable cause deserts the child and leaves him without means of support, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to a fine of One Hundred Thousand Naira (N100,000.00) without prejudice to the recovery of any cost any other person may have reasonably incurred with respect to the upkeep of the child."

From the above position of the law, there is no gainsaying that you do not have a remedy in law. You could use the police or report at the domestic violence team of Lagos State Ministry of Justice.

For the Civil aspect which is more effective, you will need to approach the family court.

The truth remains that the Child Right Law and the Child Right Act was designed to protect the physical, psychological and mental health of every Nigerian child.

As a mother, you should take proper steps to ensure the baby's daddy or papa does the needful.

Shalom

cc:
legallyminded
olaric
onyemechi33
BlongTrendies
Uboma
jman77
Kingssmith
TommyAnthem
Blessedkingg
DaniDani
ifedola28
purity2all
tot
Xavfra
FaAbokiWithSuit
Hunchogee
Liebin
Chinkos99
Dtruthspeaker
Hopez456
samuelpeters
TeeBabss
sexylassie2
udy4real
Razzness
ceejeck
Volkswagen90
Chuky7
Askme2020
Gabaleve
sapientia
DoubleEngine007
Carlyscales
uwemconcept
saintvc
Tadeknkeepcalm
Vello
Greatzeus
humilitypays
Klass99
Skyfornia
youngsahito
jman77
RedPhoenix
missjekyll

Good morning Sir, how can originating summons be served on the defendant when he is out of the country?
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Nonexisting: 8:04am On Mar 24, 2022
And what is the evidence to show I'm the father or is everyone meant to just believe every word coming out of a vaginarian's mouth? If she is carrying a female child, I will deny it even if she dangles positive DNA result in my face because my sperm is too angry to produce a snake gender. If she gives birth to a male child, I will make sure the boy calls me uncle until DNA test is done and I confirm he is mine. Calling me uncle will help reduce emotional attachments just in case the DNA test turns out negative, that way emotions will not be too high.
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Boogyman557: 8:12am On Mar 24, 2022
Holly Gram cool ELDERS over to You!

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by sapientia(m): 8:18am On Mar 24, 2022
You got yourself entangled with a mummy's boy

You just described their stock in trade
Re: Do You Know It’s A Criminal Offense To Impregnate A Lady And Abandon Her? by Oturatetuala(m): 8:46am On Mar 24, 2022
Bullshit

(1) (Reply)

Bleep Hot Pics And Vids / If Only You Knew What It Takes Me To Gain This Big Bum Bum..says Nurse Meso / But It Was Only Once I Did It , How Come My Thing Is Still Sweetening Me??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.