Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,106 members, 7,811,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities (6936 Views)

Lagos Danfo Buses Now Use Gas Instead Of Petrol - Photos / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / Smart ForTwo Explodes After Owner Accidentally Fills Air Intake With Petrol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 12:30pm On Mar 23, 2022
I'm in the midst of reviewing the effect of a fuel system cleaning product, however, what I saw in the before state of the combustion chamber (2017 Accord) is the reason for this post.

I think we really had impurities way before the recent alarm... I'll post pictures. I used a borescope camera for cylinder inspection.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 12:34pm On Mar 23, 2022
This is the top of one of the pistons. All piston tops look like this. Car has 74k original miles. Arrived Naija last year.

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 12:36pm On Mar 23, 2022
Piyke:
This is the top of one of the pistons. All piston tops look like this.

The black stuff in the center is the carbon we all know. Carbon is black in colour. Just Google "carbon build up on pistons" and see that the images from abroad are black buildup on the pistons.

I don't know what to call this whitish grey brown stuff. Me thinks they are impurities in our fuel. Any ideas?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by nurey(m): 12:39pm On Mar 23, 2022
Piyke:

The black stuff in the center is the carbon we all know. Carbon is black in colour. Just Google "carbon build up on pistons" and see that the images from abroad are black buildup on the pistons.

I don't know what to call this whitish grey brown stuff. Me thinks they are impurities in our fuel. Any ideas?

Bring the car to me, let me rock it for 2years while trying to find out what the other impurities are

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 12:45pm On Mar 23, 2022
I also recall seeing this same whitish stuff when I inspected the cylinder of my power generator. Will post pics from that once I find them.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 12:45pm On Mar 23, 2022
nurey:

Bring the car to me, let me rock it for 2years while trying to find out what the other impurities are

Behave grin

2 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 12:58pm On Mar 23, 2022
Piyke:
I also recall seeing this same whitish stuff when I inspected the cylinder of my power generator. Will post pics from that once I find them.

This is the top of the piston on a Thermocool petrol generator. Same non-carbon deposits

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by boldx(m): 5:13pm On Mar 23, 2022
Following. Piyke, how are these deposits cleaned?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by oweniwe(m): 5:17pm On Mar 23, 2022
Piyke:

This is the top of the piston on a Thermocool petrol generator. Same non-carbon deposits

Maybe it's those high ethanol fuel they are selling like that to unsuspecting buyers
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by aieromon(m): 6:33pm On Mar 23, 2022
Piyke:
I'm in the midst of reviewing the effect of a fuel system cleaning product, however, what I saw in the before state of the combustion chamber (2017 Accord) is the reason for this post.

I think we really have impurities way before the recent alarm... I'll post pictures. I used a borescope camera for cylinder inspection.

I remember your experiment on the generator.

Use fuel as is (from reputable outlets) or switch to EV oh. grin

2 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 8:12pm On Mar 23, 2022
boldx:
Following. Piyke, how are these deposits cleaned?

I have already started the process. The first image is the "before". I have added gumout all in one fuel system cleaner to the tank. Will take the "after" and compare. It will all come in a video on YouTube.

Pic of the gumout product below. Will see if it does anything

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Conner44: 9:16pm On Mar 23, 2022
Vehicles with GDI engines would be taking the worst hit from our 9ja fuels allegedly imported from 'outer space'

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by boldx(m): 2:07am On Mar 24, 2022
Piyke:

I have already started the process. The first image is the "before". I have added gumout all in one fuel system cleaner to the tank. Will take the "after" and compare. It will all come in a video on YouTube.

Pic of the gumout product below. Will see if it does anything

How much is the GUM OUT pls?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by 9icetoo(m): 10:02am On Mar 24, 2022
Following.
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by freezyprinzy(m): 6:26pm On Mar 24, 2022
Conner44:
Vehicles with GDI engines would be taking the worst hit from our 9ja fuels allegedly imported from 'outer space'
Omo it’s terrible.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 7:06pm On Mar 24, 2022
boldx:

How much is the GUM OUT pls?

According to this link, $20 approx
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BM5XWU6/ref=olp-opf-redir?aod=1

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2022
oweniwe:

Maybe it's those high ethanol fuel they are selling like that to unsuspecting buyers

I think its beyond ethanol

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 7:12pm On Mar 24, 2022
aieromon:

I remember your experiment on the generator.

Use fuel as is from reputable outlets or switch to EV oh. grin

1. Which outlet na?
2. You want to use gen to charge the EV? cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 7:13pm On Mar 24, 2022
Conner44:

I agree
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Kirkman: 7:37pm On Mar 24, 2022
Piyke:

I agree
Why would GDI engines be the worst hit sir. Could you ever so kindly elaborate?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by aieromon(m): 9:28pm On Mar 24, 2022
Kirkman:

Why would GDI engines be the worst hit sir. Could you ever so kindly elaborate?

GDI engines experience carbon buildup which cause rough idle and poor fuel economy.

GDI engine + bad fuel will speed up carbon deposit on the intake valves which can cause engine damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rkZ_4spT14

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by aAK1(m): 11:01pm On Mar 24, 2022
Unfortunately this additives only have little effect

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Kirkman: 11:06pm On Mar 24, 2022
aieromon:

GDI engines experience carbon buildup which cause rough idle and poor fuel economy.

GDI engine + bad fuel will speed up carbon deposit on the intake valves which can cause engine damage.

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Kirkman: 11:07pm On Mar 24, 2022
aieromon:

Thanks so much for the brief explanation sir. So it means the likes of HyundaI and Kia dem are in trouble wit this kind of fuel?
Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 7:38am On Mar 25, 2022
aAK1:
Unfortunately this additives only have little effect

That's the reason why I'm doing the test. Will use different brands of additive if the gumout doesn't work. I should say idling is feeling smoother. I'm nearing 3/4 tank, but the second inspection will tell the real story.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by aieromon(m): 8:14am On Mar 25, 2022
Kirkman:

Thanks so much for the brief explanation sir. So it means the likes of HyundaI and Kia dem are in trouble wit this kind of fuel?

This group is the scapegoat probably because they were sold brand new incountry and were not serviced according to factory recommendations.

GDI engines are available from virtually all car manufacturers.

2 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by aieromon(m): 8:48am On Mar 25, 2022
Piyke:

That's the reason why I'm doing the test. Will use different brands of additive if the gumout doesn't work. I should say idling is feeling smoother. I'm nearing 3/4 tank, but the second inspection will tell the real story.

Please let us know when the YouTube video is ready.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by jidobaba(m): 12:07pm On Mar 25, 2022
There should be an elimination process to include checking a foreign used vehicle with the same borescope. Our fuel is most terrible no doubt, but all organic compounds( including ethanol) reduce to carbon upon full combustion.

1 Like

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by aAK1(m): 5:04pm On Mar 25, 2022
Piyke:

I also think you should combine your effort with Italian tuning.

4 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 7:20pm On Mar 25, 2022
aAK1:
I also think you should combine your effort with Italian tuning.

That's the spirit. Have been driving the car like it's stolen! Should give the best chance of cleaning.

2 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by Piyke: 7:24pm On Mar 25, 2022
aieromon:

Please let us know when the YouTube video is ready.

Sure. I'll update here.

2 Likes

Re: Our Petrol Really Has Serious Impurities by skywalker240(m): 9:51pm On Mar 25, 2022
Piyke:

1. Which outlet na?
2. You want to use gen to charge the EV? cheesy
Help me assamooo grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Number Plate: Importance & Economic Value / Urgent Advice Needed: Choice Between 1999 & 2001 Mercedes Benz C Class. / Man Crashes His Bentley In Lekki Area Of Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.