Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,158 members, 7,825,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja (6090 Views)

Pic: Yorubas Meet In Sweden To Deliberate The Break Away Of Odua States From Nig / Results From Abuja - Vanguard / Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by buffny: 6:45am On Jul 03, 2011
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5724637-147/story.csp

Abuja authorities relocate beggars to their states of origin
By Ngozi Oboh
June 30, 2011 10:46PM
print  email   

Less than 24 hours after the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) announced a review on the operations of parks and gardens in the city and directing that they should henceforth close by 6pm, the administration yesterday repatriated over 170 beggars arrested from different parts of the city to their respective states of origin.

This, according to FCTA, is part of its effort to ensure security of lives and properties in the federal capital.

The repatriated beggars, who were evicted in groups in different buses, were taken to states such as Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi, Jigawa, Nasarawa, Kogi, Kwara, Plateau and Gombe. Other states are: Enugu, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Abia.

The repatriation exercise, which was carried out by the Society Against Prostitution and Child Labour in Nigeria (SAP-CLN) in collaboration with the Abuja Environmental Protection Board (AEPB) and Social Development Secretariat of the FCT administration, was the biggest since the exercise started months ago.

While addressing journalists at the Bwari Rehabilitation Centre where the exercise took place, Grace Adogo, coordinator of SAP-CLN, explained that based on the security state of the FCT, the beggars have to go back to their states.

“Because of the current security challenges in the FCT, the permanent secretary, Nathaniel Abiodun Olorunfemi has directed us to rid the city of the street begging and hawking which contravenes Section 36 of the AEPB Act of 1997,” she said. “The beggars, who are widely unknown and who do not have any identity, often flood traffic jam in the city carrying bags with unknown items. They even peep into peoples’ cars while begging for alms”.

Stay away

She warned the beggars not to return to the city, adding that they (beggars) would be prosecuted if arrested for the second time.

Oludare Atere, assistant director at the Social Development Secretariat of the FCTA lamented the problem posed by beggars saying that it appears to be getting complex by the day.

He added that the FCT administration would not relent in its efforts at ensuring that beggars, hawkers and commercial sex workers are removed from the street of Abuja.

Mr Atere enjoined the beggars to seek meaningful sources of livelihood when they get to their respective states of origin.

On his part, Bala Tsoho the principal, Bwari Rehabilitation Centre, expressed dismay at the unwillingness of most of the beggars to embrace the FCTA initiative to rehabilitate them at the centre.

He said this is because the beggars lack a “sense of dignity and pride.”

Back
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by Afam4eva(m): 6:47am On Jul 03, 2011
Igbo beggars? This is strange.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by igboboy1(m): 6:53am On Jul 03, 2011
@OP grow up of all the states mentioned is only igbo indiigenes you see okwa ya?
Benue has tiv and idoma
Kaduna have hausas, fulani and co
Kwara has yoruba
Kogi west has yoruba, Kogi east have Ebira , kogi south igala
and so on and so forth

But of cos since u have a hidden agenda it is only igbo that you see

E bu ezigbo onye ara, nkita

Have a nice day!!
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by Afam4eva(m): 6:59am On Jul 03, 2011
@Igbopboy
Pls don't blame him. He's learning of an Igbo beggar for the first time oin his universe.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by satani22: 10:12am On Jul 03, 2011
Op u are childish by singling out a tribe
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by obailala(m): 1:55pm On Jul 03, 2011
It is indeed very strange to hear of Igbo beggars that must be the reason why the poster singled out only one tribe from the list
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by aljharem3: 2:00pm On Jul 03, 2011
op

why call him "igbo" almajiri

an almajiri is an almajiri whether yoruba, hausa, kanuri, ijaw,or igbo so i don't support the igbo tag

secondly as i said before poverty has no tribe or culture, when people are hungry and have no choice , they beg

lastly to those that say they have not see a begger for the ethnic group, i think it is ignorance

obalede lagos has begger who are majority from the igbo stock but as i said eailer poverty has no ethnic group

so it is not strange to see an igbo, yoruba or ijaw man beg
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by otapiapia: 2:10pm On Jul 03, 2011
They were evicted from abuja for 2 offence-begging and hawking. The Igbos among them were most likely hawkers.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by Afam4eva(m): 2:18pm On Jul 03, 2011
@Otapiapia
You do have a point. The Igbos among them were most likely hawkers.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by udezue(m): 2:29pm On Jul 03, 2011
The Igbos were probably hawkers. Its not a normal sight to see an Igbo begging and even worse in a foreign land.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by joecrack(m): 2:49pm On Jul 03, 2011
I dont really believe the ibos beg cuz if it gets to the worst,they'll dabble into crime just like anyone would do,
being an abuja resident,you definitelly find underage kids hawking various commodities around the city,majority of them are ibos,especially ebonyi state.
Its really not their fault,they've got to survive.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by jason123: 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2011
joecrack:

I dont really believe the ibos beg cuz if it gets to the worst,they'll dabble into crime just like anyone would do,
being an abuja resident,you definitelly find underage kids hawking various commodities around the city,majority of them are ibos,especially ebonyi state.
Its really not their fault,they've got to survive.

@highlighted
WELL SAID!!!
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by ChinenyeN(m): 2:59pm On Jul 03, 2011
Already, turn this into an Igbo topic. Anyway, I'm not even concerned with the small bit on Igbo. I'm looking at the concept of a country deporting its own citizens. Very strange.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by udezue(m): 3:02pm On Jul 03, 2011
@Chinyen, its One big Nigeria lol
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by jason123: 3:06pm On Jul 03, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Already, turn this into an Igbo topic. Anyway, I'm not even concerned with the small bit on Igbo. I'm looking at the concept of a country deporting its own citizens. Very strange.

Good observation.
It's only Abuja and Lagos that do these nonsense. Other states do not do it.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by dellnet: 3:12pm On Jul 03, 2011
I don't think care who you are but what can you do?
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by ChinenyeN(m): 3:38pm On Jul 03, 2011
udezue:

@Chinyen, its One big Nigeria lol
o'u kwa ya? haha.

jason123:

Good observation.
It's only Abuja and Lagos that do these nonsense. Other states do not do it.
It would be a very strange situation if FG and other states deported citizens.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by jason123: 3:48pm On Jul 03, 2011
ChinenyeN:

It would be a very strange situation if FG and other states deported citizens.

Chinenye, it is a very ridiculous idea!!! Imagine deporting me from Abuja undecided IN MY COUNTRY . . . undecided
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by aljharem3: 4:01pm On Jul 03, 2011
jason123:

Chinenye, it is a very ridiculous idea!!! Imagine deporting me from Abuja undecided IN MY COUNTRY . . . undecided

lol i tell you fresh air will not do anything about this, to mr jonathan it is normal for states to deport people from another state even if they are in 1 country
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by ezeagu(m): 4:04pm On Jul 03, 2011
Those people are already back in Abuja.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by Afam4eva(m): 4:21pm On Jul 03, 2011
States in Nigeria are beginning to act like they're a country on their own. Who deports citi1ens from one state to the other.One Nigeria indeed.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by mensdept: 4:25pm On Jul 03, 2011
afam4eva:

States in Nigeria are beginning to act like they're a country on their own. Who deports citi1ens from one state to the other.One Nigeria indeed.

LOL. Thought it started in 1966?
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by aljharem3: 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2011
afam4eva:

the question is

IS MR PRESIDENT NOT SEEING THIS RUBBISH TREND THAT IS GOING ON ?
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by aljharem3: 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2011
very soon port harcount too will deport undecided
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by EzeUche(m): 4:34pm On Jul 03, 2011
I heard Mayor Bloomberg in New York was trying to send homeless people to their home states though so it has been done outside of Nigeria
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by Afam4eva(m): 4:44pm On Jul 03, 2011
Can you post a source? And that mayor bloomberg did it doesn't make it right.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by EzeUche(m): 4:52pm On Jul 03, 2011
afam4eva:

Can you post a source? And that mayor bloomberg did it doesn't make it right.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/mayor-defends-one-way-tickets-for-homeless/

July 29, 2009, 12:40 PM
[b]Mayor Defends One-Way Tickets for Homeless
[/b]By JULIE BOSMAN and MICHAEL BARBARO

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg defended a city program to send homeless families out of New York on planes, trains and buses on Wednesday, saying it “saves the taxpayers of New York City an enormous amount of money.”

Speaking in the Blue Room in City Hall to announce a new finance commissioner, Mr. Bloomberg was asked if the program simply shifts the homelessness program to a different place, as some critics of the program have suggested.

“I don’t know, when they get to the other places, whether they find jobs,” Mr. Bloomberg said. “It may be an easier place for them. If we don’t — we either have two choices. We can do this program or pay an enormous amount of money daily to provide housing.”

It costs the city about $36,000 a year to provide shelter for a homeless family. The average stay in shelter is about nine months.

But Mr. Bloomberg appeared sensitive to the image of flying homeless families to far-flung places, as the program is set up to do. In the past two years, families have been provided one-way tickets to Haiti, Peru, Mexico City, St. Croix, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, Santo Domingo and Casablanca. (The most popular destinations are Puerto Rico, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas.)

“The average cost is trivial,” Mr. Bloomberg said. “Most go by bus. Very few go overseas, very few go long distances. Bus is the normal ways we pay for transportation, rather than air.”

In fact, the most common mode of travel for families in the program is air, not bus. Forty-eight percent travel by airplane; 37 percent by bus; and 15 percent by train, according to city data.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by hakanai(m): 5:11pm On Jul 03, 2011
For the Igbos it is also likely they are prostitutes. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
On the other hand slums were raided by law enforcement agents.Such can result in expelling squaters.While i can tell you yes,there are Igbo beggars.Met one last week around Ceddi.I have met some in various cases too.Then i know also in wuse market some go round singing in Igbo(mostly religious songs).
Compared to the North,I would say the North has more beggars.while Prostitution,Igbos and ND offers more than the North.
So do Igbos have beggars in Abuja ?Definitely.
I don't mean to insult anyone.I think the Government rather has failed its citizenry in terms of welfare and employment.They made Abuja expensive and also made Employment difficult.With policies that hardly considered the larger block of Nigerians.What ever policy they have should accommodate most Nigerians!
Those slums could have civil servants.Since salaries i tell you can not pay for anything good in Abuja.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by ZnO: 5:16pm On Jul 03, 2011
How can there not be Igbo beggars?
It is a matter of numbers
10 Igbo:1000 Yoruba:10000 hausa fulani. That will be the ratio of beggars from the 3 major groups in any Nigerian city
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by EzeUche(m): 5:18pm On Jul 03, 2011
I have never seen Igbo beggars. Hawkers. . . Yes but never begging.

Igbo man has no time to beg. There is no money to be made, because the Hausa already control that "market." grin
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by bashr4: 5:19pm On Jul 03, 2011
nawa oo so abuja too don dey deport people  grin grin grin grin ,this country dey make me laugh ,that means  each state is a country of its own.

op why single out igbo ,anyways you should know they are hawkers especially around the market area , FG wants abuja to be like london whileevery other state remain ghetto.
Re: Beggars Deported Back To Their States From Abuja by aljharem3: 5:23pm On Jul 03, 2011
bashr4:

nawa oo so abuja too don dey deport people  grin grin grin grin ,this country dey make me laugh ,that means  each state is a country of its own.

op why single out igbo ,anyways you should know they are hawkers especially around the market area , FG wants abuja to be like london whileevery other state remain ghetto.

gbammmmm

thank you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Contents Of The Russian Plane Impounded At Kano Airport / Buhari, PDP Northern Govs, Legislators In Secret Meeting / Governor Okorocha Escapes Death As Bridge Collapsed Under His Convoy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.