Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,538 members, 7,837,072 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? (2274 Views)

How Can I Stop My Uncles From Selling My Father's Property(land)? / Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by angelfallz(m): 4:19pm On Mar 28, 2022
Is there no will? This is just horrible.
If there is no will, the man's properties should be shared to his children by the government, I think.
If you know any law chambers or an NGO that can help, it best to go about this with legal backing

WBworldwide:
Good day everyone,

My daddy died January this year and even though the burial rites has not been observed, the eldest son(my step brother) wants to claim everything including where we stay.

My daddy married 3 wives, the first wife had 7 children for him and the woman eventually left the marriage in the 1990's. My mother was the second wife with 8 children as well. When my dad married the first wife, he built an apartment for her and her children, the compound with tenants inside has been the same place all the children from the first wife grew up from after their mom left the marriage.

My dad also bought a house for my mom which i and my siblings grew up from. The last wife, also had a place after my dad married her.

After the mysterious death of my very young mother(not sick, just died from two days cough) my dad followed, barely two weeks before he died too which was not too surprising cos he has been sick and my mum has been the one taking care of her. That loneliness and lack of bond. The first son which has been an enemy of my dad and the most hated son due to his aggressive nature towards inheritance even when my dad was alive, came and lock the family house.

My own elder brother(same dad and mom), a weakling has been away since claiming to be busy and can't come home, he has even abandon the property belonging to my mum thus leaving my unmarried sisters to nothing. I visited home last week to see that my house was locked by my step brother and the apartment which my younger brother occupied was rented out by this step brother too.

I don't know what to do, so when we had a family meeting recently, i told the elders that we were locked out of our house and my siblings are scared of being attacked spiritually citting the death of my mother. Yet, the elders insist that all the properties belong to the eldest son. I don't even know what to do. I was the closest child to my dad when he was alive, i was so close that I had access to even his land and other documents but i never thought a day like this would come, if not, I would have advised him to make a will.

Is it the right of the eldest son to inherit all the properties ?

What would you suggest I do now ?
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by angelfallz(m): 4:21pm On Mar 28, 2022
I hate it when people ignore the problem and start chasing shadows. What has polygamy got to do with what is happening? As if the same issues are not found in monogamous marriages

Ever8090:
Polygamy has many problems, even if you die it's even the genesis of the wahala!..

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by angelfallz(m): 4:23pm On Mar 28, 2022
Lol. Hustle for your own property. Why would you and your brother(s) fight over properties that don't belong to any of you all because of inheritance?

Berezuski:
First son to inherits all your dad properties?
That can never happen(in my case)
Even if na juju priest.
I'll mess him up
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by angelfallz(m): 4:23pm On Mar 28, 2022
How does that question solve the problem?
stacyadams:

Why will ur mom choose to be a second wife?

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by YourFavorite21(m): 4:25pm On Mar 28, 2022
Your late Dad supposed to write a will, knowing fully well that, this is a polygamous family and e dey carry plenty wahala.

The only way to fight this, is to get a good lawyer, it is obvious that the elders are supporting your eldest brother, after they must have collected bribe from him.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by angelfallz(m): 4:25pm On Mar 28, 2022
Nonsense. this same problem can be found in monogamous marriages as well. You can't give a solution instead you are chasing shadows and finding fault in the wrong places.

stacyadams:

if you tell men to leave polygamy, they will be acting like tolotolo..at the end of the day , they will create a problem they will not be there to solve.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by angelfallz(m): 4:29pm On Mar 28, 2022
I generally agree with what you said, but I would advice he takes the matter up legally immediately. In cases like this you don't appease anyone elders or no elders. Once money(property) is involved everyone is looking for their own interest
So, he should take the matter to court immediately, forget about meeting

LilMissFavvy:
So we still have men who are rich enough to buy properties, process property documents, yet do not have a "will". in this 21st century? Nonsense*.

It's funny your elder brother is already fizzling out, you have to talk to him because you need his cooperation, and the cooperation of your other siblings to fight such injustice. Equip yourselves spiritually, meet the elders again for another meeting. The overall eldest son should share the properties peacefully, or at least allow you/siblings own the house which was built for your mom.

If the elders/eldest son still refuse, then seek legal help, but take note that it is an issue that will stress / drain you for few years before you either win or lose. Your dad never valued his other children, otherwise he would have written a "will".

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by LilMissFavvy(f): 4:52pm On Mar 28, 2022
If he goes legal immediately without consulting the elders a second time, the elders will be very agitated, they will connive more with the first son. Better he tries a peaceful approach first, if a peaceful approach fails, then he can take a legal action.
angelfallz:
I generally agree with what you said, but I would advice he takes the matter up legally immediately. In cases like this you don't appease anyone elders or no elders. Once money(property) is involved everyone is looking for their own interest
So, he should take the matter to court immediately, forget about meeting

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 28, 2022
So sorry for your loss,
First, which of the houses did your dad build and lived in till he died ?,
Second, which part of the urhobo land are you from ?
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Berezuski: 5:18pm On Mar 28, 2022
angelfallz:
Lol. Hustle for your own property. Why would you and your brother(s) fight over properties that don't belong to any of you all because of inheritance?

So he should inherit the whole property for himself?
Isn't that wickedness?
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Danzakidakura(m): 5:32pm On Mar 28, 2022
Get elders involve what of your father's will ?
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Danzakidakura(m): 5:34pm On Mar 28, 2022
stacyadams:

stupid question. This type of person you will be surprised to see that their mother was a BABY MAMA.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by postmann: 5:58pm On Mar 28, 2022
@ OP;

Your dad not leaving a Will unfortunately paves the way for your custom to prevail in this matter

And that custom puts the most senior male child as the chief beneficiary of your late father's property even if your mother were to be alive. He is fully in charge and I'm afraid you all are at his mercy.

Your best route is to go through the elders. Look for one who is sympathetic to your plight. Who knows if they can persuade your brother to cut you guys some slack.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by jmoore(m): 6:11pm On Mar 28, 2022
Get a lawyer to stop all those nonsense.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Efewestern: 6:50pm On Mar 28, 2022
WBworldwide:
I'm an Urhobo

Your elder brother can't inherit all property.

Lands and property will be shared to all three "GATES", However, your dad's flat (The house he stayed before his death) belongs to your elder brother.

Do not fret, properties will be shared equally and even if your mom had only daughters for your dad, their interest will be protected by the Ekru.

In Urhobo culture, everyone is equal when it comes to inheritance. Be it Boy, girl, last born, first born...

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by WBworldwide: 6:58pm On Mar 28, 2022
Efewestern:

Your elder brother can't inherit all property.

Lands and property will be shared to all three "GATES", However, your dad's flat (The house he stayed before his death) belongs to your elder brother.

Do not fret, properties will be shared equally and even if your mom had only daughters for your dad, their interest will be protected by the Ekru.

In Urhobo culture, everyone is equal when it comes to inheritance. Be it Boy, girl, last born, first born...

The dad lived with us before he died... The eldest son lived at the other compound that was allocated to her mom.

Pertaining to the issue of the eldest son being in charge of the flat my dad lived, that's where d issue is coming from.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Efewestern: 7:01pm On Mar 28, 2022
Ulunne777:
How can a first son(¹ person) be the sole heir to a property(s) when there are more than 17 others.

What is even wrong with ppl and customs?

It is outright greed and those elders are just looking out for their stomachs.

This is not custom. In Urhobo land, every one is treated equally. Something else is happening.

Even if the other wives gave birth to only daughters, the property of the late father will be shared equally amongst all kids.

I believe WBworldwide's siblings aren't interested in those properties.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Efewestern: 7:07pm On Mar 28, 2022
WBworldwide:

The dad lived with us before he died... The eldest son lived at the other compound that was allocated to her mom.

Pertaining to the issue of the eldest son being in charge of the flat my dad lived, that's where d issue is coming from.

Quite tricky, if you dad lived in your flat before his death, then I fear he has a say in that property.

The room and parlour of the late father always go to the first son, this has been the custom of the Urhobos, However, other properties will be shared equally. In what name did you dad built those other properties? (The one your half-brothers are living).
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by arthurwillia(m): 7:14pm On Mar 28, 2022
Even if there’s no will, why will someone in his right mind in this life want to inherit everything because you came first, this thing tire me man
Humans are just wicked
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by WBworldwide: 7:22pm On Mar 28, 2022
Efewestern:

Quite tricky, if you dad lived in your flat before his death, then I fear he has a say in that property.

The room and parlour of the late father always go to the first son, this has been the custom of the Urhobos, However, other properties will be shared equally. In what name did you dad built those other properties? (The one your half-brothers are living).
my father's name. As it is now, no single house document has been found.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by WBworldwide: 7:27pm On Mar 28, 2022
Efewestern:

This is not custom. In Urhobo land, every one is treated equally. Something else is happening.

Even if the other wives gave birth to only daughters, the property of the late father will be shared equally amongst all kids.

I believe WBworldwide's siblings aren't interested in those properties.
My sisters' are interested but my own elder brother is not even showing up for meetings or saying anything. I was brought into this matter when i went home with a female friend and saw the house under lock and key.

D idiot is even making claims to d now pregnant dog I bought for my dad when d house help stopped coming cos my mum was working... ?
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Efewestern: 7:34pm On Mar 28, 2022
WBworldwide:
my father's name. As it is now, no single house document has been found.

Be rest assured, he can't claim all property. The house your dad built for his mom will be shared to you all.

Yes, your dad's flat rightfully belongs to him but he can't claim all properties. All my years of living, I have never seen or heard where a senior son in Urhobo land lay claims of all his late Father's property.

Wait till your dad's burial is done. And please take care of yourself. Mind what you eat and drink. This is going to be a tough ride.

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by Efewestern: 7:40pm On Mar 28, 2022
WBworldwide:
My sisters' are interested but my own elder brother is not even showing up for meetings or saying anything. I was brought into this matter when i went home with a female friend and saw the house under lock and key.

D idiot is even making claims to d now pregnant dog I bought for my dad when d house help stopped coming cos my mum was working... ?

Lol, laid claims to your dog too? Sorry I had to laugh, but the dude is one hell of a brother. Hahahahaha.

Handle the whole issue with maturity, so far, he can't do anything with those seized documents and the family won't dare cede everything to him.

I salute oniovo.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by simpleseyi: 8:02pm On Mar 28, 2022
MAGG0T:

You didn't see where he mentioned he's Urhobbo? ....or is delta now Igbo land? As opposed by you people.. I fear who no fear Ewedu and Amala, 2 faced people

Ten face idiot, una well done.

I know the sorrow, tears and blood that we left in your land in 1970 is difficult to forget. Learn from the mistakes of your elders, so that you won't end up worse than they did.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by simpleseyi: 8:05pm On Mar 28, 2022
stacyadams:

She is resting in the grave. Go and ask her there lazy youth.
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by gulfer: 8:26pm On Mar 28, 2022
Op, if there's no will, what does your tradition prescribe in this sort of situation... You may have to involve your elders to get this sorted amicably.... sad angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by MAGG0T(m): 8:45pm On Mar 28, 2022
simpleseyi:

Ten face idiot, una well done.

I know the sorrow, tears and blood that we left in your land in 1970 is difficult to forget. Learn from the mistakes of your elders, so that you won't end up worse than they did.

cheesy Words from a street urchin who needs my attention to remain relevant, you can keep barking kid!
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by frozen70(f): 11:05am On Mar 29, 2022
Kestolove:
Igbo people

Nonsense, an Igbo who gets married to more than one wife, is just a crazy fellow

Igbo people practice one wife unless some bad situations can make him marry two but not three

Besides, their father's properties are share to the children not just the first son
Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by stacyadams: 2:18pm On Mar 29, 2022
Danzakidakura:
stupid question. This type of person you will be surprised to see that their mother was a BABY MAMA.
..lol.. shameless polygamist

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by stacyadams: 2:20pm On Mar 29, 2022
simpleseyi:

She is resting in the grave. Go and ask her there lazy youth.
. If u like join polygamy ,ur fate will not be far from the OP. grin

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by stacyadams: 2:23pm On Mar 29, 2022
angelfallz:
Nonsense. this same problem can be found in monogamous marriages as well. You can't give a solution instead you are chasing shadows and finding fault in the wrong places.

If u like marry ten wives,that's ur cup of akamu.

1 Like

Re: Is The First Son To Inherit All My Father's Property ? by WBworldwide: 3:58pm On Mar 29, 2022
stacyadams:
. If u like join polygamy ,ur fate will not be far from the OP. grin
u are a very useless person... Very childish and stupid

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will You Allow Male Lession Teacher To Coach Your Female Child At Home Alone? / Letter From Daughter To Mother / Rising Case Of Violence Against New Mothers, It's Abominable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.