Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,084 members, 7,811,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Community Project(strictly Java) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Community Project(strictly Java) (23802 Views)

Poll: What application would you prefer

School Management Software: 19% (20 votes)
Hotel Management System: 5% (6 votes)
Membership Management System: 1% (2 votes)
Checkers game: 1% (2 votes)
Online Voting System: 13% (14 votes)
Library Management System: 4% (5 votes)
E-Banking transaction system and portal for bank officials and customer: 27% (29 votes)
College management system: 3% (4 votes)
An internet cafe system: 14% (15 votes)
Payroll System: 7% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Programmers Networking Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 1:23am On Jul 04, 2011
Hey guys,  don't know how interested we would be in this but its a very good experience and something for your portfolio. I have put op a ist of 10 most common systems and I say we try one of them. Most of them are easier to develop on a single scale(individually) but that wouldn't suit the purpose here. A community project would help improve your skills(in terms of working in groups) and also you would learn a lot from other participants.

I have been involved in a lot of projects that up till date have not been completed. However, this would be different. In other to be a part of this project,you would have to apply for it. It doesn't matter if you are a newbie or an expert but all we want is determination and full attention. I don't know how many contributors we would end up having but am starting with an initial number which is 10.

If you are interested just reply this post with what you would like to participate as, with regards to the available positions.

Available positions
1 more project manager
Programmers
Designers
Analysts
Testers

Also there is a poll above regarding which application should be implemented. The application with the highest vote wins.
School Management Software (Very difficult and needs full participation)
Hotel Management System
Membership Management System
Checkers game
Online Voting System(JSP/JSF)
Library Management System
E-Banking transaction system and portal for bank officials and customer
College management system(a much easier version of a school management version)
An internet cafe system
Payroll System

All contributors would be emailed the details on the project. Good luck to you all.

1 Like

Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fahaldi: 2:07am On Jul 04, 2011
Hi!

I'm interested in the position of a programmer. I don't have much of an experience in Java Programming, just the basics.

Thanks for this opportunity. Later,
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by EdDave(m): 11:47am On Jul 04, 2011
interested. Novice programmer.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by SayoMarvel(m): 12:37pm On Jul 04, 2011
A brief description of these roles will be helpful (especially to newbies).

I'll be analyst/programmer
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by wassolldas: 3:28pm On Jul 04, 2011
Programmer
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jul 04, 2011
*clears throat* Programmer, sir.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 12:02am On Jul 05, 2011
Seems everyone is running for programmer, no designers?

Designers -- They design the UML and stuff, doesn't mean you wont still code but you would mainly handle the design.

NOTE: Please DO NOT apply if you know you aren't going to be constant.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Nobody: 2:18am On Jul 05, 2011
^
What did you expect? I am actually amazed that you were amazed! Most of the folks on the programming section are, self admittedly, programmers, so I presume you'd be hard pressed finding volunteers to fill in the other spots. I would have loved to join as a programmer or designer, but I am good at Java or designing as much as Bush Jr was good at leading the USA; hence, I volunteer to be a tester, and I look forward with keen interest as to how this project progresses and, hopefully, I would also learn a thing or two.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 2:49am On Jul 05, 2011
Hahaha yeah i expected that. Thats for filling up a gap, you would still have the opportunity to code. I personally would have loved to handle te coding but would have to fill up another gap.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Mobinga: 10:14am On Jul 05, 2011
Tester. I'd do the beta testing. Little time on my hands. Oya start.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by SayoMarvel(m): 10:22am On Jul 05, 2011
Now you see the reason why I said
SayoMarvel:

A brief description of these roles will be helpful (especially to newbies).

Designers will be battling the breaking down of the entire system into packages and packages into classes and classes into fields and methods. They will also be the one to design how each piece relates to the others to form the entire system, how data is passed around between parts of the system, what part gets access to what, what part is abstracted from what. They will draw heavily on their knowledge of design patterns to create the "best" approach to breaking a roadblock, separate the application into tiers and make sure they relate well while being as loosely coupled as possible, take performance/simplicity trade-off decisions, etc.
But errm sire, how does that differ from the analyst's role (just out of curiosity).
Do not confuse this with UI design please (though its part of it, kind of).

Testers -- Unit testing, system testing, performance test, memory footprint analysis (oh the analyst's role, eh?), etc (I won't say much here, I believe in JUnit).

Programmers -- Produce the actual code that will run on the JVM. You can't live in a floor plan, can you? You need to build the house. UML won't run on my Dell machine, will it?  grin They will also deal with the implementation of the algorithms behind the methods proposed by the designers.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2011
Yeah we all know that. The thing is, everyone wants to code so even a detailed explanation wouldn't do anything. The deadline is tomorrow and I would post the list of participants and their roles. Again, please do not apply if you are not going to be available.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by debokaz(m): 5:24pm On Jul 05, 2011
I tink this is a good opportunity for someone like me to get a grasp of what i have learnt so far on java.I will like joining as aprogrammer.
Email:debok1@yahoo.com.thanks
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 6:02pm On Jul 05, 2011
Hey and yall should vote for which software would be implemented above
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Nov1ce(m): 9:26am On Jul 06, 2011
I would like to enlist as a programer on board sire,
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Mobinga: 10:27am On Jul 06, 2011
Stop talking and start abeg. angry
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 11:43am On Jul 06, 2011
Seems the majority is going for the E_Banking soft. Thats a big one and we have to start if at all we want to finish it up. So we begin!

Since there are no designers, would help start with that. Going to bring up a simple UML for a software but before I can do that we need a requirement specification.  In other to get this we all have to list features we feel the software should have.

Am going to list the very basics to start the discussion.

Requirement
A bank software offers customers 'n' types of accounts. Each type of account provides its own interest rate. Each type of account has its own minimum balance. The system system is to provide a report feature that lists allt he accounts and the interest the have accrued during the current period. The system should also provide an auditor feature that when invoked, prints all accounts whose balance falls below the minimum required for that type of account. The system would also be able to add, delete and modify accounts(account num exclusive).

The system should be able to send emails to all bank customers(newsletter ish). The system should be able to keep admin log reports, i.e who used what software and who changed what.

For each account the system would record, personal details for the user like, name, address,  status, number and other bank details like account number, sort-code, current balance, interest rate. Also, the system should be able to deliver weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual bank statements.

As for the user's end, we are going to simulate an ATM. This would be used by the end users to access their accounts and withdraw cash.

END FOR NOW

Ok i think am stuck, kinda outta ideas. Sorry never worked in a bank or had anything to do with their system. So I would appreciate if you can add to what I have written above. Specifications would come later but for now, REQUIREMENTS please.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by 0yewale(m): 12:00pm On Jul 06, 2011
i would love to participate as a Project Manager because i just concluded my P.M.E (project management education) but am also very good in java programming. Love IT
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Mobinga: 12:18pm On Jul 06, 2011
Internet Cafe system would make more sense.

---Programmer and Tester
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Mobinga: 12:20pm On Jul 06, 2011
Done. wink
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by SayoMarvel(m): 12:28pm On Jul 06, 2011
Exam's starting next week mehn, maybe I won't be able to commit as much time as required into it. I guess I'll just sit around and watch for now and then join in after exams. I'm pretty good at the design (humbly speaking), so you may contact me with one or two things marvelindaclub Hat yahu Dort Korm.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 1:00pm On Jul 06, 2011
@Mobinga hahaha funny u, 

HMmm tell me am not already smelling failure. Please am waiting for your ideas!!!
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by wassolldas: 5:21pm On Jul 06, 2011
How about this link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19074204/Internet-Banking-System

We can modify as needed
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by asskush: 7:08pm On Jul 06, 2011
Hi ògá(fayimora), i'm a beginner on web development using java, and i'm really interested in such project under your tutillage. My e_mail is seun_alani@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Danyl(m): 8:42pm On Jul 06, 2011
This is quite outstanding,
iam in for the project.
Am danyl and am opting for the programmer role.
I'll rather vote for the online voting system because is one of the most critical softwares we nid in nigeria.
And as regaqds the requirement i think interfacing the system with an oracle DB is goin stand out due to the security features of oracle db,more so the voting system can have the following requirement:
*take in users registration includin the biometrics
*check voters against their unique finger print when voting
*print out the records of votes on each party being vote for.(the party is not limited to political parties only)
*the system must be secured when its bn run online so i'll getting an SSL layer into the programme thus usn the "https" protocol for the transfer of files.
*the system will be able to list all likely voters within a particular region and dr photographs
*it'll also update the count of votes automatically
*if drs anyone with EJB skills can come in to provide the business logic that will handle the middle-tier of the system architecture & more so what kind of client are we using,a thin or thick client,a web portal or an online-based desktop application.
Anyone can add to my comments am open to critisms if any. My email is goldendanyx22@gmail.com
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 9:08pm On Jul 06, 2011
asskush:

Hi ògá(fayimora), i'm a beginner on web development using java, and i'm really interested in such project under your tutillage. My e_mail is seun_alani@yahoo.com.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome, I could really use some beginners. We need people who are eager. We are not working via email but here so hold on for the list coming up. Before then, I need an assistant project manager. Requirement, you must understand whats going on and MUST be able to use GitHub effectively(Mobinga|SayoMarvel|omo_to_dun start warming up).

Danyl:

This is quite outstanding,
iam in for the project.
Am danyl and am opting for the programmer role.
I'll rather vote for the online voting system because is one of the most critical softwares we nid in nigeria.
And as regaqds the requirement i think interfacing the system with an oracle DB is goin stand out due to the security features of oracle db,more so the voting system can have the following requirement:
*take in users registration includin the biometrics
*check voters against their unique finger print when voting
*print out the records of votes on each party being vote for.(the party is not limited to political parties only)
*the system must be secured when its bn run online so i'll getting an SSL layer into the programme thus usn the "https" protocol for the transfer of files.
*the system will be able to list all likely voters within a particular region and dr photographs
*it'll also update the count of votes automatically
*if drs anyone with EJB skills can come in to provide the business logic that will handle the middle-tier of the system architecture & more so what kind of client are we using,a thin or thick client,a web portal or an online-based desktop application.
Anyone can add to my comments am open to critisms if any. My email is goldendanyx22@gmail.com
Unfortunately The Banking system won and we are already on it. How about you develop a full requirement for that and we wud both look into it and start something.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Chimanet(m): 11:43pm On Jul 06, 2011
Am intrested as a designer my mail is[email]alaebo123@yahoo.com[/email]
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 11:58pm On Jul 06, 2011
could you just state some things you have done in the past? No need for proof but be honest so we know what else we need to commence full development.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Danyl(m): 7:15am On Jul 07, 2011
@fayimora, what front end are we using,is it a browser based web portal or an online based desktop application,how about the middle-tier and d back end,this tiers specificity are important in order to go about whc technology to use am talkn of the necessity of using an EJB in d middle-tier/business but this might make the programs to be robust and efficient.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 7:46am On Jul 07, 2011
wen we get to the specification phase, we would settle all that
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 12:39pm On Jul 07, 2011
c'mmon guysssss
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by SayoMarvel(m): 4:33pm On Jul 07, 2011
@Fayimora, I hope you saw my last post but not withstanding, what platform are we targeting? Desktop, Mobile, Web? How rich should the clients be? Lets get started.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? / What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / My New Excel Dashboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.