Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,553 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Community Project(strictly Java) - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Community Project(strictly Java) (23801 Views)

Poll: What application would you prefer

School Management Software: 19% (20 votes)
Hotel Management System: 5% (6 votes)
Membership Management System: 1% (2 votes)
Checkers game: 1% (2 votes)
Online Voting System: 13% (14 votes)
Library Management System: 4% (5 votes)
E-Banking transaction system and portal for bank officials and customer: 27% (29 votes)
College management system: 3% (4 votes)
An internet cafe system: 14% (15 votes)
Payroll System: 7% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Programmers Networking Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 4:58pm On Jul 07, 2011
Java SE, Desktop, The ATM would probably be in Java Web Start
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by cracky2(m): 11:36pm On Jul 07, 2011
programmer
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by segsalerty(m): 10:21am On Jul 08, 2011
uhmm , Fayimora and Nairaland , u are rocking ! Good job ! wink wink wink wink
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 08, 2011
What an opportunity to learn. Let's get started.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 2:31pm On Jul 08, 2011
I have posted a requirement documentation. I need you guys to add to it,
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by wassolldas: 5:06pm On Jul 08, 2011
where did you post it to?
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2011
Fayimora:

Seems the majority is going for the E_Banking soft. Thats a big one and we have to start if at all we want to finish it up. So we begin!

Since there are no designers, would help start with that. Going to bring up a simple UML for a software but before I can do that we need a requirement specification.  In other to get this we all have to list features we feel the software should have.

Am going to list the very basics to start the discussion.

Requirement
A bank software offers customers 'n' types of accounts. Each type of account provides its own interest rate. Each type of account has its own minimum balance. The system system is to provide a report feature that lists allt he accounts and the interest the have accrued during the current period. The system should also provide an auditor feature that when invoked, prints all accounts whose balance falls below the minimum required for that type of account. The system would also be able to add, delete and modify accounts(account num exclusive).

The system should be able to send emails to all bank customers(newsletter ish). The system should be able to keep admin log reports, i.e who used what software and who changed what.

For each account the system would record, personal details for the user like, name, address,  status, number and other bank details like account number, sort-code, current balance, interest rate. Also, the system should be able to deliver weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual bank statements.

As for the user's end, we are going to simulate an ATM. This would be used by the end users to access their accounts and withdraw cash.

END FOR NOW

Ok i think am stuck, kinda outta ideas. Sorry never worked in a bank or had anything to do with their system. So I would appreciate if you can add to what I have written above. Specifications would come later but for now, REQUIREMENTS please.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 11:22pm On Jul 08, 2011
R u guys sure you are in for this?
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by wassolldas: 5:02am On Jul 09, 2011
Guys who have not done much documentation should take a stab at this. Creating documentation is now expected of developers.

Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 12:34pm On Jul 09, 2011
Anyone else?? Guys we are not going to move forward if we reply messages 3-4days later,
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by 0Edward0(m): 1:30pm On Jul 09, 2011
Am in please lets start, anyway sha am a beginner in UML (I use Violet) and java (I use Dr. Java), just doing some self learning stuff.

Lets start, interested wan kill me, hope to learn a great deal.

Thank you.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 1:53pm On Jul 09, 2011
Welcome, Registration is closing today so your lucky!
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Nov1ce(m): 9:10pm On Jul 09, 2011
Fayimora:

This dosen't seem soo bad we could work with this and add more features as we deem fit, having to much to deal with might not be too easy considering that we are all working remotely and have different styles,
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 11:24pm On Jul 09, 2011
Trust me am already getting irritated. NOONE is participating, I said it from the beginning. This ain't gonna be "let me check that thread". If not because am a moderator, I would have even preferred moving it out of nairaland. Now we are on it and everyone is relaxed. Am disappointed!
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 10, 2011
@ Fayimora
I understand your grievances. I wish I were skilled in other aspects of the project, but seeing as I am a tester, I rely on input from other folks to allow me to function in any meaningful capacity. I hope others participate, but I highly doubt it. So many NL programmers are only for show and bragging; when the time comes to produce results, they run.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 1:18am On Jul 10, 2011
I totally agree with you,  programer, programmer, programmer, where da f&%k are they now? I gat ma own stuffs to do but hey you jst think it woul dbe nice to help a few folks and they all mess up,  arrrghh!!!

Written a few classes but am just gonna have to get rid of them,
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Nov1ce(m): 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2011
@Fayimora
Don't do that!!!
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by fellybabe(f): 4:00pm On Jul 10, 2011
Programmer pls
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by SayoMarvel(m): 4:44pm On Jul 10, 2011
@Fayimora
I don't like the way people have not been responding. I knew exams will take too much of my time that's why I honestly (and of course humbly) said I will just sit around and join in after exams (1st of August), I didn't run away. Java SE is pretty much my thing and I know I will learn a lot from my chairman (you wink ).
Please zip the four classes you have already and mail it to me marvelindaclub hat yahu dot komm. Lemme see watsup.
What are we using for the database (derby, mysql, or a custom simple flat-file database + server fully built from ground up by us?)
Name on GitHub: Oladeji Oluwasayo.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 5:46pm On Jul 10, 2011
Cant find you on github, search for "fayimora". I deleted the whole project. Would give a time frame for people to respond else i delete the thread aswell. I would have loved to use a database but for learning purposes we would use XML. If we have to use database, then we use a database online(i can provide that) without remote connections. So we wud end up using xml. Yes it might be way harder and a bit slower than expected but we are supposed to be learning from each other and not just designing some bogus software.

Am gonna post up a list of participants and give a 2day time frame. Any one that doesn't show total commitment is definitely out. If you can't participate fully, it wudn't hurt to just say it like @Sayomarvel did(even tho I got annoyed as I needed his brain).
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by debokaz(m): 12:02am On Jul 11, 2011
Mr Fayimora,pls lets get dis done and nt give up.i tink d acct shd support many currencies nd money transfer.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 12:08am On Jul 11, 2011
Well everyone seems to be slacking
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by SayoMarvel(m): 10:13am On Jul 13, 2011
If the purpose is pure learning, I will suggest that we use a flat file database with multithreaded network server functionality (to provide for simultaneous connections from several clients.) This will give us more insight into I/O, DB management, security (if we like to go as far as say authentication and encryption), record locking (of course that is a compulsory part of security, especially when you have several concurrent client access), etc. We can also try our hands on lazy interface integration (very complex, I've never tried it practically, but theoretically, yeah I've done that) i.e. sort of what Pearson VUE does, creating GUI dynamically at runtime (at the server side) then sending it to the client.
@Fayimora if people are not responding, we can turn this thing into a personal thing but that will be after my exams. And hey, we want to learn from each other so don't have the mindset that I'm a guru. Send me an email, my address is in an earlier post, when you get it, edit the post to remove my address.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by AwesomeG1: 11:18am On Jul 13, 2011
I would love to be part of the programmers
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by 0Edward0(m): 11:41am On Jul 16, 2011
Where everybody dey, Fayimora where you dey now, how do we start this project, I don wait tire, na so, abeg give me something to do
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 2:32pm On Jul 16, 2011
m ryt here,,,pissed off
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Mobinga: 8:56am On Jul 17, 2011
Why? Lets start, others would join in.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by buston01: 2:16pm On Jul 17, 2011
count me in. i am good in programming as well as designs
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by 0Edward0(m): 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2011
I second mobinga, lets start, others will follow
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by Fayimora(m): 1:26pm On Jul 18, 2011
I dnt think i wanna be working with strange people every single day, so who exactly am I working with?
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by 0Edward0(m): 2:55pm On Jul 18, 2011
You will be working with me, a self taught beginner java programmer, any help will do to make the project successful.
Re: Community Project(strictly Java) by trustidkid: 5:49pm On Jul 18, 2011
Thanks Fayimora for the opportunity,  I will like to be programmer/analyst.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? / What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / My New Excel Dashboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.