Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28197 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by rayval(m): 8:11pm On Mar 30, 2022
9jaRealist:

I may be reading the OP wrong…
But a “university graduate” in Nigeria implies English language learning of 10-15 years (including nursery, primary and secondary).

Meanwhile, in a subject like Law, the difference between “may” and “shall” could be several years in prison… wink
So, a reasonable law lecturer should absolutely fail a student for such “grammatical errors” that have a substantive effect.
>

The 10 - 15 year doesn’t count. Most of us had the opportunity of having parents speaking English, opportunity of going to good schools where speaking of good English is enforced.

If you are studying law for example, they know that English is a critical aspect of your profession and you definitely have that as one of your core courses.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Fiscus105(m): 8:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
OBoy50:
grin OGAAAAAA This English is very bad sir!
You can do better than this by simply writing a very simple well-spoken good English grin

Very bad, very bad sir.

It was posted earlier that kids of today are lacking of critical thinking, Op posted how bad people like you are unable to write good English, despite the fact that, vast majority of people like you are boasting to be graduates. Now you confirmed it already, sending you to school is totally waste of resources, ........no single logical responses on any thread but to write jargons.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Obiebanks007(m): 8:18pm On Mar 30, 2022
More of ladies
And its so annoying.

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Fiscus105(m): 8:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
OBoy50:
grin OGAAAAAA This English is very bad sir!
You can do better than this by simply writing a very simple well-spoken good English grin

....... writing a very simple well-spoken good English........

How does it sound in your ear Mr prof?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by bewise24: 8:23pm On Mar 30, 2022
rayval:

Same difference.. I know people with first class, a lot but aren’t fluent in English. I prolly do not know the level of proficiency you expect. Speaking English as an Educated Nigerian shouldn’t be used as a measure of anything. Also, it is probably not so bad.. maybe op is expecting a very high level … but think about it too.. 15 years in school. In Nigeria - do the teachers speak better English, do the student communicate in English, do parents communicate in English… it is either pidgin or local dialect.. So you shouldn’t even measure the years with proficiency of English language.. realistically.. most of us, na movies and books naim make us fit dey join words together.. and small exposure..
PLEASE ASK THEM TO TELL YOU HOW THEY PASSED THEIR WAEC/NECO. SHARE YOUR FINDINGS WITH US HERE. THANKS
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by ellizy(m): 8:25pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
English is not a measure of intelligence, it's just a foreign Language.
Once you can understand the message they're trying to pass... it's cool
This isn’t an excuse. No one is expecting a graduate to be dictionary but at least construct a simple English sentences….

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by aribisala0(m): 8:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
If you have studied in any major UK university you would know they have loads of Chinese students who are often allowed to bring in a Chinese/English dictionary into exams

We need to stop beating ourselves up over English

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by IdeasPro(m): 8:30pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
My friend, what is worth doing at all is what doing well. If you are not above average in your official lingua franca no matter your discipline, it means your foundation is faulty. Take it or leave it!
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Karleb(m): 8:35pm On Mar 30, 2022
harsysky:
If you do not have good command of the Language while in primary or secondary school , it will be hard to learn when you are a graduate but not impossible.

Infact I passed my English while in WAEC, but deep down I knew I wasn't good. I had to start afresh when I left the university; I had to get English textbooks, download softcopies and also made use of google to improve.

It is not like there is a gain or a loss in it. I noticed my confidence increased. A lot of folks have burning questions to ask but their deficiency in the Language hinders them a lot

A lot of people are like you but they didn't even try to improve on their spoken English.

In my secondary school I could write any English I could imagine but speaking was a great problem because I rarely speak the language. I attended a public secondary school where we rarely speak English.
Pre-university, the only time I spoke very good English were the 2 years I spent in a private primary school.

The university coupled with my church, RCCG changed everything for me tho.
It's either you speak English or you keep quiet or you end up embarrassing yourself because people will question your quality of education as a young fellow if you speak bad English in those environments and they also encourage the proper usage of the language.

It's one of those reasons why I love mingling with non-yoruba people, I enjoy speaking English and pidgin with them.

The English language do frustrate me atimes tho, especially the Nigerian English we speak. Personally I still prefer yoruba.

I must confess sha, having good command of English language will increase your confidence especially in today's Nigeria compared to when you have a bad command of it especially as a graduate.

I still dey shoot gun small small sha grin but I no dey shake.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by ikorodureporta: 8:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
It depends on where you live & the language you use for interaction mostly when you were young...

Some people can speak, but can't write without errors, while others can't speak fluently but can write like prof..

Moreover, not all those fluent speakers are grammatically right. ..people just judge them based on their fluency
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Karleb(m): 8:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
Charly68:
The problem is foundation.. they were given poor training from primary school ..

can't you see that it is the children who went to good primary and secondary schools that speaks good English ?

Stop that thing! grin

Private schools have a way of making kids feel superior because of their good English but aside from the English, they are just as good as those that attended a public school.

Summary is, you can speak fluent English and still be poorly educated.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Elidrisy20: 8:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Na because of ASUU strike Dem no Sabi English
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by SKIBiNSKI(m): 8:54pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?
not really alot of educated Germans cannot speak English and they managed to manufacture Mercedes Benz cars. Some Russians cannot speak English but they are educated

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Karleb(m): 8:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
achorladey:

Thanks for the response jare. Lagbaja had one song titled vernacular. Make people go listen and cool off the heat over a language whose origin and original speakers agreed it has grades ranging from beginner to master as pointed out by you.

Gbo gbo gbosa
Ko lori gbo ri
Oya je kaa tabon
Gbo gbo gbosa.
English no get expression like your mother tongue.
Talk make I understand,
O tan.

Idea is need grin grin grin grin

I have this song and I enjoy it but the hypocrisy there is that lagbaja speaks very good English.

I don't judge people's intelligence based on their spoken English sha, especially non-graduates.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by SKIBiNSKI(m): 8:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Don't mind the inferior ignoramus French people are educated but cannot speak English, infact they don't want to speak Englaies.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by SKIBiNSKI(m): 8:59pm On Mar 30, 2022
English my bottom! I would rather speak Spanish or French. Who English epp?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 9:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
jaxxy:

I noticed this and cringe abit bt then maybe cos English isn't our indigenous language just like French don't speak good English.

Bt these people speak the bad English like they think they are right with no apologies. grin
No be lie. With so much confidence.

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Akinh: 9:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?
am even afraid to comment on what you personally typed sir, you also need to upgrade yourself, and come to think of it, how many graduate read this days? And most of us choose to visit bet9ja rather than listening to news and mind you, all this stuff count...well am just joking about your write up.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by VirileNelly2420: 9:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
I'm not rating their intellectual ability with that. Atleast, when one is educated, it should be evident in the way he or she expresses himself/herself. Some of them even lack Intellectual Capacity. Many of them that i have met, can't even speak other languages let alone English language. These same folks would be bragging abt their education Degree, feeling arrogant and pompous yet they can't even express themselves well in the public.

U should first seek d area dey graduated from. I mean d course dey studied. As an engineer, English speaking isn't Paramount. I think art inclined needs it more. @english
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by dnawah(m): 9:34pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

everything depends one the primary, secondary school,then u step up in the uni.also environment where u grow.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by luluman: 9:37pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

How many of them English feed?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Bbbw: 9:37pm On Mar 30, 2022
Really
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by luluman: 9:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?
Better keep quiet, if I'm well trained as a technician as a graduate & am vast with the technical know how who do I need to convince I can speak English?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by OBoy50: 9:43pm On Mar 30, 2022
Fiscus105:

....... writing a very simple well-spoken good English........

How does it sound in your ear Mr prof?
grin Even your quoting is bad sir...too bad ..
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by rayval(m): 9:53pm On Mar 30, 2022
bewise24:
PLEASE ASK THEM TO TELL YOU HOW THEY PASSED THEIR WAEC/NECO. SHARE YOUR FINDINGS WITH US HERE. THANKS

Is there speaking exercise in WAEC/NECO.?

Or do you know how many People had C6

Or is it the schools with chronic cheating habit.. heheheheh.

I rest my case..

I have seen none English speaking students that will little fluency in English become top in their class where English is used.

Good English is not is not equal to Education
Education is not equal to good English..

That is just my point. Let us not stress this.. and I will say it again.. some people that can’t speak very well can be 50times smarter than someone that can speak very well… except you haven’t seen.. but then plenty. English na language. As with any language, Id you picked it up at an early age, perfect for you…

The environment doesn’t even allow it.. everywhere na pidgin and local language.

That is why they speak Yoruba | Ibo | Hausa fluently without spending 15 years in school.. it is a language and not a test of knowledge.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by OBoy50: 9:53pm On Mar 30, 2022
Fiscus105:

Very bad, very bad sir.

It was posted earlier that kids of today are lacking of critical thinking, Op posted how bad people like you are unable to write good English, despite the fact that, vast majority of people like you are boasting to be graduates. Now you confirmed it already, sending you to school is totally waste of resources, ........no single logical responses on any thread but to write jargons.
Is English your mama's tongue?
Away with this english nonsense you think are writing...pls go through what you have just written to quote me and see your errors..who english epp? Even the british do sometimes speak blunder and for you information, I may not be that good speaking your #own English language but I m a successful upper class in terms of social ladder....so GTFO and go hustle.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 9:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
Juoflife1:
Doctors are busy saving life's. Engineers are thinking and finding solutions to problems. Nigerians in nairaland are bothered about speaking English. We have over 150 countries in the world, how many speak English? It took a non English speaking person to teach me how to correctly pronounce my "core" English surname, going by the alphabets.
If I have my way, I will unlearn the English language. It's an overrated piece of junk.
But u write English for ur exam. Abi u no write am? U for bone am na!
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:03pm On Mar 30, 2022
Immunity04:
Op stop disturbing us o, English isn't your mother tongue and so can never be a yardstick to determine Intelligence, you yourself cannot even pass IELTS comfortablly without constant practice[color=#990000][/color]
Intellgence and Education are two different thing. A person might be intelligent but not educatf or vice versa.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by rayval(m): 10:08pm On Mar 30, 2022
Leave Nigeria.. visit diverse companies.. and hear people speak English.. was we were flying up and down.. but it is normal and no one takes it as anything and it is simply because English is not their language.. and as long as there is communication.. then everything rocks.. do not measure peoples ability with their language capability..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:10pm On Mar 30, 2022
rayval:

Are you asking about arrogant people or people who can’t speak English?

Education is not for learning to speak English.

Some can speak and have no Education and no sense

Some are 50x smarter than you. But can’t speak English like you expect.

It is funny how people see speaking English as intelligence. (in Nigeria)

If you don’t understand, go out of Nigeria and visit diverse companies.. speak it the way you know it.. Just know your onions

I do not mean that they aren't intelligent. Education and intelligence are two different things.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
hkunle71:
Me is a gooding boy. I is very hear English. I am in born was England.Only I can speaker correct English inside this whole of a Nigeria. Everybody clapping for me. God bless Nigeria
I seeing ur English is good, and me like am because u can spoke very well.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by MadamOk(f): 10:18pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because English is a formal language

More so many people only hear and learn English language

Why some study English language

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Soldiers Chased LAUTECH Students For Protesting Against Fee Hike / Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria / Meet 18-Year-Old Daniel Obaji, The Youngest Graduate In NYU Abu Dhabi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.