Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,462 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28074 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 7:44pm On Mar 29, 2022
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by tayo60(f): 7:46pm On Mar 29, 2022
Because English is not their mother tongue

528 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by sherylbaky(f): 7:51pm On Mar 29, 2022
English is not a measure of intelligence, it's just a foreign Language.
Once you can understand the message they're trying to pass... it's cool

506 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Jeon(f): 7:52pm On Mar 29, 2022
because I an illiterate.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by jetwonder(m): 7:52pm On Mar 29, 2022
grin because some lecturer don't speak good English

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by tee59(f): 7:54pm On Mar 29, 2022
Because the level of our educational system is becoming bad by the day.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by chadrain: 7:56pm On Mar 29, 2022
REST grin

Jeon:

because I an illiterate.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Jeon(f): 8:00pm On Mar 29, 2022
chadrain:
REST grin
okay.

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 8:05pm On Mar 29, 2022
sherylbaky:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by webhead: 8:06pm On Mar 29, 2022
Don't blame them.

Attaining Education in Nigeria is like eating KFC spicy chicken inside a public toilet.

You'll gain knowledge about most subject to some extent but you'll never be really Good in them.

Heck, if you watch closely, most Lecturers in Nigerian universities can't construct good sentences.

68 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 8:09pm On Mar 29, 2022
chadrain:
REST grin

U dey mind her, abi na him self. Jeon wey be English Professor.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Kingpin1000: 8:27pm On Mar 29, 2022
Because even English people don't speak good English.

141 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 8:33pm On Mar 29, 2022
webhead:
Don't blame them.

Attaining Education in Nigeria is like eating KFC spicy chicken inside a public toilet.

You'll gain knowledge about most subject to some extent but you'll never be really Good in them.

Heck, if you watch closely, most Lecturers in Nigerian universities can't construct good sentences.
I remembered a graduate guy like that, who had a girl child with a lady when he had not gone to the University then. When this guy went to the University and graduated, he became arrogant and started looking down on the lady that had a girl child with him. Funny enough, if u hear this guy English ehn! Na cut and join English him dey Speak. whereas, the lady was just an S.S.C.E holder. Her English even get hope for where him own dey.

80 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by HilcomTech(m): 8:35pm On Mar 29, 2022
sherylbaky:

tayo60:
Because English is not their mother tongue

Very lame and disgraceful.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 29, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant. The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking. Has anyone met such graduate?

You wey sabi speak good English ... How many cars or house do you get Mtcheew

44 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by webhead: 8:40pm On Mar 29, 2022
Truvelisback:
I remembered a graduate guy like that, who had a girl child with a lady when he had not gone to the University then. When this guy went to the University and graduated, he became arrogant and started looking down on the lady that had a girl child with him. Funny enough, if u hear this guy English ehn! Na cut and join English him dey Speak. whereas, the lady was just a S.S.C.E holder. Her English even get hope for where him own dey.
grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Ocholu: 8:44pm On Mar 29, 2022
Bros, English na your papa language??

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by sherylbaky(f): 8:47pm On Mar 29, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are graduated or u are well educated?
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.

262 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 8:50pm On Mar 29, 2022
ScorpionStudio:

You wey sabi speak good English ... How many cars or house do you get Mtcheew
Oh! u are hurt. I percieve that u can relate. I'm not in anyway condemning any of them. My point is that, they should humble themselves rather than being arrogant and Proud in their blunders and ignorance.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 9:02pm On Mar 29, 2022
Ocholu:
Bros, English na your papa language??
English no be my papa language but if u must speak English language, u have to speak the language correctly. Bro, no be by force to Speak English, if na Pidgin English u sabi, speak am. No be the one be u dey claim graduate or say u sabi speak English, u come dey form dey Speak Cut and join English dey embarass urself for Public.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Samwils: 11:32pm On Mar 29, 2022
Truvelisback:
English no be my papa language but if u must speak English language, u have to speak the language correctly. Bro, no be by force to Speak English, if na Pidgin English u sabi, speak am. No be the one be u dey claim graduate or say u sabi speak English, u come dey form dey Speak Cut and join English dey embarass urself for Public.

Mr truvel, I need your help with something beyond the physical.. drop a number or something I can reach you with
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Fiscus105(m): 4:19am On Mar 30, 2022
Under normal circumstance, anybody who studied up to SS 3 and successful got admission as an undergraduate in any higher institution,
he/she is supposed to be able to speak and write good English language, SSCEs are the examinations that are meant to separate the chaff from wheat,hence, all undergraduates are supposed to be able to express themselves fluently in English language, but here in "naija", miracle centers have succeeded in damaging the sieve that meant for separation.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Boogyman557: 4:51am On Mar 30, 2022
Holly Gram cool THUNDER fire English!

THUNDER fire English WELL WELL!

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Reelmii: 5:06am On Mar 30, 2022
Because they pass through school but school no pass through them

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 6:45am On Mar 30, 2022
Samwils:

Mr truvel, I need your help with something beyond the physical.. drop a number or something I can reach you with
Send me DM.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Ichabodcrane(m): 7:49am On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant. The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking. Has anyone met such graduate?
First of all, English is just another man's language. Are u trying to rate their intellectual capability with that?
Secondly, have u asked if these guys can speak other foreign languages? I think if one can speak French, or mandarin or one of these difficult languages other than English, then, they are even better than the English speakers( judging from your own perspective)

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 8:02am On Mar 30, 2022
Ichabodcrane:

First of all, English is just another man's language. Are u trying to rate their intellectual capability with that?
Secondly, have u asked if these guys can speak other foreign languages? I think if one can speak French, or mandarin or one of these difficult languages other than English, then, they are even better than the English speakers( judging from your own perspective)
I'm not rating their intellectual ability with that. Atleast, when one is educated, it should be evident in the way he or she expresses himself/herself. Some of them even lack Intellectual Capacity. Many of them that i have met, can't even speak other languages let alone English language. These same folks would be bragging abt their education Degree, feeling arrogant and pompous yet they can't even express themselves well in the public.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.
Your premise is fundamentally wrong.
Everyone who studied in Nigeria was taught English language from primary school, secondary school and even in the tertiary institution (at least GES 100 or whatever they call it).

As such, it is expected of such a person to display sufficient knowledge of this subject in speaking and in writting.

What is the essence of years of English studies all through primary, secondary (up to WAEC and NECO exams) and 100 level classes if the person still can't express themselves adequately, as the language demands?

It's either we question the system or we question the individual. But the point is that such attributes are abnormal, undesirable and unworthy of applause.

It is the same people trying to normalise grammatical blunders who rant on social media that UK universities should stop IELTS for prospective Nigerian students.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Prolificgiant(m): 8:48am On Mar 30, 2022
English language is our official language,for someone to have gone through education to level of been a graduate then he or she should be able to express themselves eloquently lets say 70% .,if u are good in cleaning and reside around yaba ,bariga lagos axis chat me up ,lets talk

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Joelobioha(m): 9:29am On Mar 30, 2022
Boogyman557:
Holly Gram cool THUNDER fire English!

THUNDER fire English WELL WELL!

LITE UP my WEED in peace.

WTF MAN!
thunder faya boogeyman
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 9:40am On Mar 30, 2022
Reelmii:
Because they pass through school but school no pass through them

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 9:51am On Mar 30, 2022
Prolificgiant:
English language is our official language,for someone to have gone through education to level of been a graduate then he or she should be able to express themselves eloquently lets say 70% .,if u are good in cleaning and reside around yaba ,bariga lagos axis chat me up ,lets talk
True. It's not necessary that one must express himself/herself with big, big grammar. Atleast, one should be able to express himself/herself in a way that people won't doubt his/her educational Degree or doubt if this person is really educated or really went to school.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Abuja’s 5 Most Expensive Secondary Schools / How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School / OAU Students March For Nigeria At 55 (Funny Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.