Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,456 members, 7,830,274 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce (15778 Views)

Own A Cassava-cashew Farm Today-100% Managed-cultivation Till Harvest / How To Setup & Establish Your Own Cashew Farm(With Pictures) / Advice Needed On A Cashew Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by confluence: 7:56pm On Mar 31, 2022
@Op from my little experience when I used to own a farm around iseyin axis, there are cashew plantation that are as old as 30 years and still producing maximally. You need to state the location of the farm, find out from other farmers around your area to see if it is weather problem. But honestly you need to really know the species you planted. I once own about 20 acres of land around iseyin, then I sold it off when I noticed I could not guarantee the safety of the crops I planted then. I intended planting cashew then , but caved in when Fulani issue was rearing it ugly head then, I mean around 2018.
Mind you got some guys who bought about 100 acres and was planting cashew on the land in phases then , I remember the dude told me in import the species then from I think Brazil .

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by kman2222: 7:58pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:
What is the essence of having a large cashew farm without it bringing forth fruits. Knowing well that the joy seen in a cashew farmer can't be over emphasized when he sees each of the branches bringing forth flowers which eventually results into cashew fruit and the seed.

My Dad owns a large cashew farm which occupies most of our farm land. Thereby, depriving us of growing food crops in those areas. With the spike in the price of cashew seeds, it always saddens me when I recall how those trees has been failing us.

As at 3 years ago, we realized 11 bags of the seed. Subsequently, the yield has decreased drastically. We got only 5 bags this year which has become the worst of all. Funny enough, more cashew trees are grown every year. Some of the trees don't bring out flowers at all. whereas, some will and the flowers dry off later.

If you have any information which will make the yield of those trees increase, please, you are welcome.
Output of farm produce has to do with season. This year harmattan has a negative effects on output of Cashew this year. The low yield generally affected this year output

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Godwin5766(m): 7:59pm On Mar 31, 2022
This year cashew seed get as e be...it didnt produce according to my expection

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:
What is the essence of having a large cashew farm without it bringing forth fruits. Knowing well that the joy seen in a cashew farmer can't be over emphasized when he sees each of the branches bringing forth flowers which eventually results into cashew fruit and the seed.

My Dad owns a large cashew farm which occupies most of our farm land. Thereby, depriving us of growing food crops in those areas. With the spike in the price of cashew seeds, it always saddens me when I recall how those trees has been failing us.

As at 3 years ago, we realized 11 bags of the seed. Subsequently, the yield has decreased drastically. We got only 5 bags this year which has become the worst of all. Funny enough, more cashew trees are grown every year. Some of the trees don't bring out flowers at all. whereas, some will and the flowers dry off later.

If you have any information which will make the yield of those trees increase, please, you are welcome.

Baren land perhaps. Have you tried composts and fertilisers?
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Johntemmy(m): 7:59pm On Mar 31, 2022
Heyah..

Incase anyone/company buy cashew nuts let me know biko I get am plenty.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by floret23(f): 7:59pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

I don't think this is necessary. How many trees do we want to cut down? Some of them are over 20 years and they've been doing well b4
The trees have passed their prime productive years and soil nutrients depleting. I suggest you should be replacing old trees with new seedlings little by little. Also apply fertilizer to replenish the soil. Above all, never neglect the spiritual aspect because the spiritual controls the physical.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Leogreat5: 8:00pm On Mar 31, 2022
Coming from the physiology angle,how was the flowering as at last year .Possibly your cashew tress had enough flower last year which invariably affected this year flower production .Check out for pest,diseases ( especially( Anthracose).

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by GerogeI(m): 8:01pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

The prolonged winter, which led to elongated Harmattan btw Dec and Jan, to early Feb did not go down well with fruiting of cashew trees. Generally there is a very low yield all across so its not just your Dads farm. The weather was cooler (I love it though) and less favourable to cashews.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by christistruth01: 8:01pm On Mar 31, 2022
Test the Soil

Add Fertilizer

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Shancca: 8:02pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

Do not listen to any warrior on this thread telling you to cut down the trees or introduce a new specie.

My advice:

Plants and field crops are sensitive to environmental changes due to variations in interannual temperatures and rainfall. This might be the reason your cashew farm is declining in yield. A good approach would have been to observe previous yields and compare them with previous climate. However, this is not easy to do especially if you don't understand the science. Another approach, which is what I think you will do is to option for induced pollination. A standard duration and temperature is required for pollens to move from anther to stigima. This is called natural pollination. But then climate change has altered most of these natural processes. This is why artificial pollen induction is required. Seek the services of an agronomist with good track records in plant breeding. He or she will provide expert advice and opinion on what best to do.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by HannyCJ: 8:07pm On Mar 31, 2022
There are number of factors that can lead to yield in cashew orchard, namely farmers' plant seeds of open pollinated nuts with poor genetic make-up, high cashew population density, poor pest and disease management and less attention to soil management issues etc.
I can't see your plant in question so, I can't diagnosed it, but I will encourage you to make research on management of cashew orchard or preferably you consult an Agronomist. Do you practice any of this following ? For all these are very important in management of cashew orchard.
1 pruning
2 selective thinning
3 pollarding
4 coppicing
5 top working

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Dashlish12: 8:08pm On Mar 31, 2022
Johntemmy:
Heyah..

Incase anyone/company buy cashew nuts let me know biko I get am plenty.
. Please which state and what's your digit?
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by opportunities12(m): 8:09pm On Mar 31, 2022
Narrokiki:
Wow
Photo Lab grin
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Johntemmy(m): 8:10pm On Mar 31, 2022
Dashlish12:
. Please which state and what's your digit?

Ekiti/osun 07060795767
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by zikter(m): 8:14pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

I don't think this is necessary. How many trees do we want to cut down? Some of them are over 20 years and they've been doing well b4
This answers your question. They are aging and can't be bountifully reproductive every year. You need to do away with the very old one and plant new ones
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Nicepoker(m): 8:17pm On Mar 31, 2022
Pest inversion.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Blastedholligan: 8:21pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

you need to engage an Agricultural expert
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by charlesdinho7(m): 8:25pm On Mar 31, 2022
you have to prune the branches. pruning is like trimming the branches. you can read more on pruning. it increases production of fruits
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by ransomed: 8:27pm On Mar 31, 2022
This year cashew season is almost rounding up.
Start next fruiting season by clearing all vegetal covers that might be competing for niche on the farm.
If the farm is not receiving adequate rainfall, try and dig some well that can be pumped out with mobile generator. The plantation needs water to flourish.
Your knowledge of entomology needs to be put into use from 2nd week of flowering. Introduce bees by taking artificial beehive from bee farmers to the farm and the hives needs to stay between 5 to 7 weeks for adequate pollination. Remove beehives thereafter, continue with watering during the dry season. Ensure no fire, no smoke around the farm. Gammaline 20, 200, Pyrethroid in gaseous or liquid form should not be allowed close to the farm.
All form of mistotles should be detached and unhealthy branches should be well pruned for adequate resource utilization. Maintain the farm stead to be free from rodents. Aphids and tree cutters should be removed before flowering time . Keep farm neat at all times. Have a bounty harvest next season.

5 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by TruthUntold: 8:28pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

chei! You're very wicked o! Imagine if na woman give birth for you consecutively for 20years...20 years o. She don overreach her expiring date be that. She don too try. So you bury her and get a new wife, for godsakes! Ah!
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by twosquare(m): 8:35pm On Mar 31, 2022
Aye oo grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by TruthUntold: 8:37pm On Mar 31, 2022
earleswood:
Get into bee farming to enable pollination.
Beekeeping has an important role in generating and expanding the income of small-scale cashew farmers. Hives are placed in the orchards in return for bee pollination services, not only boosting cashew nut yields, but the farmer’s income also benefits from the sale of honey and wax.
oya sharperly change your username to 'Wikipedia copy and paste princess' he probably googled that, couldn't see a solution beyond the English and came here for 'practical' advice.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Munzy14(m): 8:43pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

They probably aging and may likely need a new replacement.

Again I hope they are not infected with fungi disease and other common plant disease.

These economic trees can be a mess sometimes even after huge resources invested in them.

My best economic tree remains palm.

See if you have cashew farmers around, consult them and explain the problems, they are in best position to fix the issue.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by okezuoemmanue(m): 9:21pm On Mar 31, 2022
I think this is a general issue. In my area, most of the Coconut trees just wildered and died. Some mango trees didn't bear any fruit this season while some other fruits are having one issue to the other.
It may be related to radiation or the 5g stuff.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by SilvanusII(m): 9:24pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

Haba!!! 20 years! I had even started thinking soil test and analyses. You know these things reach a peak, and then start to decline. PLUS, a huge element is the climate that has changed. Guy, trees too dey feel am.

confluence:
@Op from my little experience when I used to own a farm around iseyin axis, there are cashew plantation that are as old as 30 years and still producing maximally. You need to state the location of the farm, find out from other farmers around your area to see if it is weather problem. But honestly you need to really know the species you planted. I once own about 20 acres of land around iseyin, then I sold it off when I noticed I could not guarantee the safety of the crops I planted then. I intended planting cashew then , but caved in when Fulani issue was rearing it ugly head then, I mean around 2018.
Mind you got some guys who bought about 100 acres and was planting cashew on the land in phases then , I remember the dude told me in import the species then from I think Brazil .

While improved varieties might perform better, I don't understand how 30 year old cashew trees can still produce maximally. There are still peaks and then a steady decline. Knowledge of the variety might help inform your decision

HOWEVER if indeed it is less a production decline, my suspicion still falls on the weather. For annuals, the most important time is flowering, and water has to be plenty then. If water no dey, yield go low. Perhaps na the same for tree perennials
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Gastrocnemius: 9:36pm On Mar 31, 2022
JackWolfskin:
- Don't cut off the old trees yet.
- Buy new seedlings.
- Plant them between the old trees. Equidistantly
- Trim the old trees to allow for sunlight.
- Spray foliar fertiliser on the old trees just before they flower.
- Rrmove/Thin out older trees as new seedlings mature.

This really makes sense. Can you shade more light on foliar fertiliser pls
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by JmyNigaa: 9:37pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hezzyluv:

@bold,
They'll now cash-out from him and his dad.cool

And they will rejoice knowing that they just slash out sapa from their life.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Joeyfizzo: 9:53pm On Mar 31, 2022
There are pawpaw trees that don't bear fruit too.....the male pawpaw trees
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by IslamIncest: 10:35pm On Mar 31, 2022
Iyaebe:
But you can never learn na, is it not you again
mad oh! grin
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by sirgalahad26(m): 10:43pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

Not really. There are some young dudes that do not produce at all.
Test soil
Try another specie
Consult experts
Everything no be aye n shey mi
Abeg angry
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by JackWolfskin: 11:04pm On Mar 31, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

This really makes sense. Can you shade more light on foliar fertiliser pls

Liquid fertiliser sprayed with knapsack directly to foliage or leaves
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by EngrTaiwo1(m): 11:06pm On Mar 31, 2022
Place order for agricultural fertilizer called SuperGro and apply it as instructed. You will thank me later. Call/Whatsapp 08039724675

https://shopneolife.com/neolifetechstartup/shop/product/2741/NG

https://shopneolife.com/neolifetechstartup/shop/product/2742/NG

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) / Beans Plant Duration / Researchers Discover Cure For ‘Tomato Ebola’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.