Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,245 members, 7,829,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce (15766 Views)

Own A Cassava-cashew Farm Today-100% Managed-cultivation Till Harvest / How To Setup & Establish Your Own Cashew Farm(With Pictures) / Advice Needed On A Cashew Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Gastrocnemius: 11:29pm On Mar 31, 2022
JackWolfskin:

Liquid fertiliser sprayed with knapsack directly to foliage or leaves

Okay... I will try this next season
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by adecz: 11:49pm On Mar 31, 2022
Better make una go beg una
village people ...

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by tianshie(m): 2:23am On Apr 01, 2022
julybaba:
Apply fertilizer with nitrogen, phosphorus, and zinc

&

Increase soil water by irrigation

Zinc don replace Potassium ni?
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Michaelss(m): 2:32am On Apr 01, 2022
Maybe the soil is losing it potency
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by BePrepared: 6:19am On Apr 01, 2022
It may look stupid but try it

Tithe
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by omaolowo(m): 6:24am On Apr 01, 2022
Good morning and many thanks for the various contributions

Whenever plantations of fruits are mentioned, we must cater for the activities of pollinators and pollination agents...
I suspect the activities of OP's neighbours might have killed or scared off these pollinating agents: thereby the flowers fall off without getting to becoming fruits

Encourage optimal pollination by having bees nearby. Bees are the best pollinators as they forage for flowers' nectar. In fact, build their hives inside the plantation itself and very soon, your production of pure, natural honey will be the talk of town!

Symbiotic living and existence. Everyone is happy. And you get gallons and litres of honey in addition as a byproduct

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Prolific007(m): 6:42am On Apr 01, 2022
Househelp:
Please my fellow nairaland as country hard I want to sell my dell London used laptop in Abuja please quote me if interested
What's the capacity?
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by HRMK: 6:50am On Apr 01, 2022
U DONT SEEK WAY OUT ON SOCIAL MEDIA BUT FROM AGRIC EXPERTS!LOOK FOR THEM IMMEDIATELY!U MUST BE DOING SOME THINGS WRONGLY!!
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Warriorprince(m): 8:47am On Apr 01, 2022
Gastrocnemius:
What is the essence of having a large cashew farm without it bringing forth fruits. Knowing well that the joy seen in a cashew farmer can't be over emphasized when he sees each of the branches bringing forth flowers which eventually results into cashew fruit and the seed.

My Dad owns a large cashew farm which occupies most of our farm land. Thereby, depriving us of growing food crops in those areas. With the spike in the price of cashew seeds, it always saddens me when I recall how those trees has been failing us.

As at 3 years ago, we realized 11 bags of the seed. Subsequently, the yield has decreased drastically. We got only 5 bags this year which has become the worst of all. Funny enough, more cashew trees are grown every year. Some of the trees don't bring out flowers at all. whereas, some will and the flowers dry off later.

If you have any information which will make the yield of those trees increase, please, you are welcome.

It's everywhere cashew output this year is generally poor. Sometimes this happens for two or three consecutive years and then following year it blossom again.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Alwayshungry: 10:02am On Apr 01, 2022
Only sensible comment.
U need bees to pollinate ur crops
omaolowo:
Good morning and many thanks for the various contributions

Whenever plantations of fruits are mentioned, we must cater for the activities of pollinators and pollination agents...
I suspect the activities of OP's neighbours might have killed or scared off these pollinating agents: thereby the flowers fall off without getting to becoming fruits

Encourage optimal pollination by having bees nearby. Bees are the best pollinators as they forage for flowers' nectar. In fact, build their hives inside the plantation itself and very soon, your production of pure, natural honey will be the talk of town!

Symbiotic living and existence. Everyone is happy. And you get gallons and litres of honey in addition as a byproduct
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by omaolowo(m): 12:06pm On Apr 01, 2022
Some of the bee Hives.

Bait the bees...
Once settled down, they are not likely to leave except for a major catastrophe like fire (or deliberate chemical spraying)
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by WackoTee: 12:32pm On Apr 01, 2022
Omaolowo is unable to attach pictures of some of his hives
He asked me to help send these

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by WackoTee: 12:33pm On Apr 01, 2022
Some more

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by omaolowo(m): 12:38pm On Apr 01, 2022
Thanks Wacko Tee (original!)

The pictures of the hives are uploaded
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by TheUnbeatable(m): 2:43pm On Apr 01, 2022
@op. I don't think you have a big problem.
I am a field agronomist with 5 years of cashew plantation knowledge. I don't know all but I can guide you. You can not get good result without spending good money to engage seasoned hands to reason your matter.

Firstly, with cashew, the older the better. The older the tree the higher your yield. At 20 years after planting you should have nothing less than 10kg cashew nuts per tree. With all humility, I am one of the little agric boiz that make things happen within western agric space. You can check @adewumijnr on intagram and Facebook. Back to cashew...

Yes, length and intensity of harmattan greatly affects cashew fruiting. That wasn't favourable this season. Irrespective of that your yield is too low.

Do you have cashew anthracnose disease infestation? This is how you notice it. Leave necrosis(yellowing of the leaves turning brown and dry). That can reduce your yield seriously and you will not notice if you aren't an expert.

Cashew is a draught tolerant crop( it means it performs optimally at dry environments. It doesn't like alluvial soil( forest soil). This brings me to the question... Do you have a soil test result you can post here for me to interpret and give you recommendations? If not, getting to the root of this might be difficult. Because your soil can be fertile and not productive( this means you can have some nutrients in abundance when actually you need them in trace quantities. Its just like hormonal imbalance in women. They will be menstrating monthly and never conceiving irrespective of coupulating at the right time).

Leaching might be fighting you ( leaching means rain water or any water you use on the farm washing away the required soil nutrients beyond the reach of your tree roots for uptake)

Wrong use of agrochemicals...

Many things can affect your yield and they are very simple things that might be ignored.

Let me leave you with this note, count all your cashew trees above 7 years and multiply the number by 10kg. That's the quantity of cashew nuts you should be getting annually on the average.

God bless and increase you.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Gastrocnemius: 7:38pm On Apr 01, 2022
TheUnbeatable:

@op. I don't think you have a big problem.
I am a field agronomist with 5 years of cashew plantation knowledge. I don't know all but I can guide you. You can not get good result without spending good money to engage seasoned hands to reason your matter.

Firstly, with cashew, the older the better. The older the tree the higher your yield. At 20 years after planting you should have nothing less than 10kg cashew nuts per tree. With all humility, I am one of the little agric boiz that make things happen within western agric space. You can check @adewumijnr on intagram and Facebook. Back to cashew...

Yes, length and intensity of harmattan greatly affects cashew fruiting. That wasn't favourable this season. Irrespective of that your yield is too low.

Do you have cashew anthracnose disease infestation? This is how you notice it. Leave necrosis(yellowing of the leaves turning brown and dry). That can reduce your yield seriously and you will not notice if you aren't an expert.

Cashew is a draught tolerant crop( it means it performs optimally at dry environments. It doesn't like alluvial soil( forest soil). This brings me to the question... Do you have a soil test result you can post here for me to interpret and give you recommendations? If not, getting to the root of this might be difficult. Because your soil can be fertile and not productive( this means you can have some nutrients in abundance when actually you need them in trace quantities. Its just like hormonal imbalance in women. They will be menstrating monthly and never conceiving irrespective of coupulating at the right time).

Leaching might be fighting you ( leaching means rain water or any water you use on the farm washing away the required soil nutrients beyond the reach of your tree roots for uptake)

Wrong use of agrochemicals...

Many things can affect your yield and they are very simple things that might be ignored.

Let me leave you with this note, count all your cashew trees above 7 years and multiply the number by 10kg. That's the quantity of cashew nuts you should be getting annually on the average.

God bless and increase you.

Wow shocked
Just few of the trees show necrosis ( they hardly bring out flowers)

I don't have a soil test results. Perhaps, I don't have any idea on how to carry out the test

From eye-sighting, I think the soil is fertile and leaching is not a problem at all.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Dshocker(m): 7:32am On Apr 02, 2022
Gastrocnemius:
What is the essence of having a large cashew farm without it bringing forth fruits. Knowing well that the joy seen in a cashew farmer can't be over emphasized when he sees each of the branches bringing forth flowers which eventually results into cashew fruit and the seed.

My Dad owns a large cashew farm which occupies most of our farm land. Thereby, depriving us of growing food crops in those areas. With the spike in the price of cashew seeds, it always saddens me when I recall how those trees has been failing us.

As at 3 years ago, we realized 11 bags of the seed. Subsequently, the yield has decreased drastically. We got only 5 bags this year which has become the worst of all. Funny enough, more cashew trees are grown every year. Some of the trees don't bring out flowers at all. whereas, some will and the flowers dry off later.

If you have any information which will make the yield of those trees increase, please, you are welcome.

It depends on the type of soil/land were it was planted & i advice you people should contact an agricultural consultant
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2022
Cashew anthracnose disease

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:10pm On Apr 02, 2022
Cashew anthracnose disease 2

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:11pm On Apr 02, 2022
Cashew anthracnose disease 3

Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:15pm On Apr 02, 2022
@op "" ...from eye sighting, I think the land is fertile"". ..

What do you see that makes you to arrive at this conclusion @op
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:16pm On Apr 02, 2022
..."and leaching is not a problem atall..."

Please educate, me. How did you know leaching is not a problem?
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by Gastrocnemius: 7:36am On Apr 03, 2022
TheUnbeatable:
@op "" ...from eye sighting, I think the land is fertile"". ..

What do you see that makes you to arrive at this conclusion @op

We do plant yam on the land before the cashew took over. We usually have a good harvest.
Re: Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce by excanny: 12:39am On Mar 18
Gastrocnemius:

We do plant yam on the land before the cashew took over. We usually have a good harvest.

Hi. What state is the cashew farm in and how's the harvest now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Beans Plant Duration / My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) / Researchers Discover Cure For ‘Tomato Ebola’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.