Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,938 members, 7,835,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude (23565 Views)

Share Your Co-workers Attitude Towards You When You Resigned Or Been Sacked / Banks’ Contract Workers Rise To 46,235 / What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by flames007(m): 2:26pm On Apr 05, 2022
Salmoneus:

This attitude is what is killing us in Nigeria, everybody is a jack of all trades master of none and mediocrity becomes excellence...you can't drive a bus but you take the job when you kill people's children they will blame evil spirits.
I cant help you if you're always this pessimistic. i'm an interior decorator by profession, but i learnt interior decoration a time time when i was so broke, garri was gold to me. after three weeks of learning and they asked me if i wanted to take up a new job we'd just gotten(despite being a newbie; it takes about 3 months to master), guess what yo boy said?

The hunger in me screamed yes, and i went out there and did a splendid job. I have the utmost faith in my God-given abilities, i'd only be shortchanging myself if i let opportunity pass me by because i don't have the COMPLETE skillset.

And that analogy about driving a car when completly clueless doesn't count- that's suicide. Anyways, if you don't trust your abilities it ok, we were not all born equal.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by CoronaVirusPro: 2:27pm On Apr 05, 2022
Just like the dumb guy that got interviewed and started relating God to engineering.

Dude never knew that interview would lead him to North America.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Reni1: 2:27pm On Apr 05, 2022
mrlycan:
Attitude they say is everything. Once you don't have it, forget it.

So I moved to this new apartment last year and the whole place was messed up 100% by the former occupant. So i called in my guy who is specialized in cabinets and other furniture works. He revamped the whole flat and my landlord was dazed.
So while he was working, on that same first day, my landlord connected him up with one of his friends. Mind you, he lives abroad and he only comes around spend few weeks and go back.

After few weeks he called him up that he has a job for him at ibadan to setup a flat, they guy said he doesnt travel to work elsewhere. I did not hear about this until 2 days ago.

So on friday, we bought two dogs in the house and my landlord needed a cage for the dogs so he asked to to sort it out. As usual i called him up, though i did not tell him the nature of the job cos one of the job was sensitive. So when he arrived, I told him we needed a cage for the dogs.
This guy just arranged cage as if a bingo dog want to live there. My landlord came out and saw the job but he complained that he needed something lovely for the dogs.
The guy replied that he doesnt even make cages for dogs and that if it wasnt for me that called him, he wont do such work. Temper flared and my landlord told him to leave.

During the time he was making the cage, My landlord was on a call cos he works for the state government. He just secured the furniture contract of 30 rooms in a guest house in the government house. It was around 15M +. He was hoping to give this my guy. Only for him to mess things up.
He showed me the call logs and i was speechless.
I havent told him cos we have not seen since then. This is a guy who has just a bike and a small shop. Someone that is still hussling saying he cant do this or that.

I learnt from his mistakes. If you know you have a profession, dont think their is a level at which you cant work anymore. Just because they give you repaid 2020 benz and above doesnt mean you should ignore someone that brings a 2004 model. Its your work, at least you will be paid.

I share a different opinion on this issue. I wonder what was of a higher priority, a job well done or someone who worships the landlord for giving him an opportunity ? Why does his attitude matter when his work speaks for itself ? I think a job well done is more important and if possible the landlord should focus on the job that and not the feeling to be exalted by the artisan. iWe often use these attitude as an excuse when we do not get the expected feeling of being worshipped by those who seem to be earning lower than us. I agree, the guy could have communicated better that he does not travel outside lagos for reason best known to him but that is his right. An artisan says he does not invest time in building a cage we say no he must do it. Common guys, if we want to be worshipped lets look for professional worshippers, if we want to get things done, lets look for those who can do the job.

Personally, I had a similar experience where I introduced my friends in the US to a great graphics guy in Nigeria. My friends expected the graphics guy to worship them because they earn in USD and feel they can talk to the graphics guy anyhow. Ofcourse, the graphica guy could have behaved like a mugu to get the job, but he is good at his work such that i paid 4 times what he had asked because I valued what he was doing. My friends expected me to call him to order but I chose not to hecause they did not value his skillset and the ones with the attitude problem.
OP, you and you Landlord should chekc it well, do you really calue this guys work but need the extra feeling of being worhsipped for connecting him to an opportunity ?

1 Like

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by bennytrips27(m): 2:28pm On Apr 05, 2022
flames007:
As an upcoming millionaire that still has garri as a stable food, one thing i have in spades in the will to win. That alone give me an edge because i never give up, and you can't beat me if i won't flinch because i've seen poverty face to face.

i've done jobs i had no experience in at the time all because i said 'Yes, i can do it very well' and later learn how to do it. i'm yoruba, but i've learnt a lesson from my igbo brethen: NEVER EVER let a business go just because you lack the skill - negotiate first.

Wasere that's how it's done bro big up.

1 Like

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by nairaman66(m): 2:30pm On Apr 05, 2022
Bus2:
Knew the story was fake immediately I read it. They want to order the artisans around like slaves and when they refuse to be bossed around, then they suddenly claim the artisan missed million dollar contract. Who gives N15m contract to a roadside carpenter who hasnt executed such magnitude of job before ?

The OP’s narrative is pretty questionable! Besides, I don’t draw conclusions on a one sided story!!
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Stanfeelings: 2:41pm On Apr 05, 2022
nairaman66:
Sounds a bit tricky! Let me explain,

Your landlord would have called different carpenters and go through their invoices before picking one. This has nothing to do with pride.

Stating what he does and does not do is his right to freedom of expression of his work ethics. Your landlord is only looking for someone to ride on like a horse!

Conclusion, if your landlord would give a roadside carpenter a job for the government house, shows you how our government is being run. No disrespect to roadside carpenters, but a 15M job should be given to a reputable furniture company!!
must you comment?
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Kingzy4pep(m): 2:43pm On Apr 05, 2022
Zonefree:
Carpenters
Tailors
Mechanics

I don't know the kind clay God used in moulding these set of people. Their attitude is something else.

They'll be complaining no work, at the same time, they'll be selecting work.
Probably clay from cemetery
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Starhearts: 2:48pm On Apr 05, 2022
[b][/b]BREAKING NEWS
419 days left for Buhari in Asorock.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Maxxim: 2:49pm On Apr 05, 2022
Someone told you that's not his expertise you still insist he should do the job, idk who is the most dumbest btw you and your landlord.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Berezuski: 2:59pm On Apr 05, 2022
You just have to be "Humble"
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by NACE13: 3:05pm On Apr 05, 2022
The attitude of some business folks, not just artisans eh. I always tell people that no matter how much people push you, just remember that the money is paramount, so use that to suppress your pride or anger.
I so hate it when people tell me "I no suppose dey do this kain thing on a normal day but if no be sey blah blah blah". Once I hear that from you, that's the end our transaction.

I'm very grateful to the Almighty for making me a patient person, no matter how little the work is, I'll politely reject it or give a good reason why I can't do it.

When I was serving in Osogbo, Osun state. My boss sent me to get A3 paper in bundles but first I should do a little market survey before buying. The first shop I went to, the young chap was so rude when I told him the price I was willing to buy when he gave me his quote, then I told him the reason why I was there, he apologized but I told him no wahala, I'm going to your neighbour's shop to get it. That was how the lad missed the opportunity to sell paper worth almost 100k. How can you tell me "Abeg, no be here we dey do that kain thing", in a very rude tone. Some people are responsible for their own undoing, no village people.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by nairaman66(m): 3:06pm On Apr 05, 2022
Stanfeelings:

must you comment?

From whence did you come from mumu man?
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Cobbamyk: 3:06pm On Apr 05, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Story

Wetin be your own na your own..if you like make you nor get character and better attitude
that is with good attitude and character...if you don't have it what is yours can slip off you....so be wise in every way.....and have good character

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by bewla(m): 3:06pm On Apr 05, 2022
Zonefree:
Carpenters
Tailors
Mechanics

I don't know the kind clay God used in moulding these set of people. Their attitude is something else.

Don't say what you don't no I have been doing this for over twenty years and I don't show attitude any person weh come alhamdulilai I be carpenter and I love my work
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by tonididdy(m): 3:10pm On Apr 05, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Story

Wetin be your own na your own..if you like make you nor get character and better attitude
I totally disagree with this.
Even if you are tired turn down a job, turn it down politely.
Attitude is everything.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by lovat(m): 3:12pm On Apr 05, 2022
nairaman66:

Your landlord would have called different carpenters and go through their invoices before picking one. This has nothing to do with pride.

Stating what he does and does not do is his right to freedom of expression of his work ethics. Your landlord is only looking for someone to ride on like a horse!

Conclusion, if your landlord would give a roadside carpenter a job for the government house, shows you how our government is being run. No disrespect to roadside carpenters, but a 15M job should be given to a reputable furniture company!!
The reputable furniture company will still call the road side carpenter to do the work.

Stop forming woke here

1 Like

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Cobbamyk: 3:18pm On Apr 05, 2022
nairaman66:

A proverb always says , wearing big clothes doesn't makes you a big man....not every bug company you see today are very good in what they advertise...do you know that most of them,when they gets the contract,they will then call that road side guy that is good to help then do it..but alas the job will be presented by d guy with the contract while the road side guy will be paid penny...never underate anyone in life...the person that will make you great might not be someone with riches and wealth but might be someone without anything in which God can use as your instrument to Glory...always appreciate everyone that is attached to your life either good or bad cos only God knows the end from the beginning and beginning from the end....
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Harbeeorlar(m): 3:22pm On Apr 05, 2022
I dont select work so far the price is right.
I am a bespoke fashion designer located at Mokola, Ibadan.
Zonefree:
Carpenters
Tailors
Mechanics

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by raphy(m): 3:24pm On Apr 05, 2022
FalseProphet1:
In your earlier post you said your friend is based abroad and comes to Nigeria to stay two weeks and then leave.

Then in your concluding part you said he has a bike and small shop and he's just hussling...

I see lies in this story.

This I have seen.

U didn't understand the writeups just de calm down
The poster self get as e be
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Cobbamyk: 3:24pm On Apr 05, 2022
FalseProphet1:
In your earlier post you said your friend is based abroad and comes to Nigeria to stay two weeks and then leave.

Then in your concluding part you said he has a bike and small shop and he's just hussling...

This I have seen.

Oga, you are what your name is...is it that you read the article upside down or what and if there is kind of mistake on the article can't you use your initiative to correct it...that is why some people will watch film and will never gain little knowledge from it...because of the way they watched the film....when ever you see a write-up,always read it as if you were the one writing it out and think ahead of what you reading to understand better.....I come in peace!!!!...
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by raphy(m): 3:25pm On Apr 05, 2022
flames007:
I cant help you if you're always this pessimistic. i'm an interior decorator by profession, but i learnt interior decoration a time time when i was so broke, garri was gold to me. after three weeks of learning and they asked me if i wanted to take up a new job we'd just gotten(despite being a newbie; it takes about 3 months to master), guess what yo boy said?

The hunger in me screamed yes, and i went out there and did a splendid job. I have the utmost faith in my God-given abilities, i'd only be shortchanging myself if i let opportunity pass me by because i don't have the COMPLETE skillset.

And that analogy about driving a car when completly clueless doesn't count- that's suicide. Anyways, if you don't trust your abilities it ok, we were not all born equal.

I agree with u

1 Like

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Fortune444: 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2022
Your sure FURNITURE manufacturing plug in PHC and Lagos for everything exquisite in interiors:

www.oaksandcanvas.com

True professionals and discounted solution providers.

Hit them up and avoid the usual 'madness' of untrained carpenters.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by BluntCrazeMan: 3:31pm On Apr 05, 2022
mrlycan:

The guy replied that he doesnt even make cages for dogs and that if it wasnt for me that called him, he wont do such work. Temper flared and my landlord told him to leave.
There's nothing wrong in politely explaining to someone that you're not conversant with some type of works.
The way he presented it was actually where the problem lied.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Cobbamyk: 3:33pm On Apr 05, 2022
mrlycan:

So I moved to this new apartment last year and the whole place was messed up 100% by the former occupant. So i called in my guy who is specialized in cabinets and other furniture works. He revamped the whole flat and my landlord was dazed.
So while he was working, on that same first day, my landlord connected him up with one of his friends. Mind you, he lives abroad and he only comes around spend few weeks and go back.

After few weeks he called him up that he has a job for him at ibadan to setup a flat, they guy said he doesnt travel to work elsewhere. I did not hear about this until 2 days ago.

So on friday, we bought two dogs in the house and my landlord needed a cage for the dogs so he asked to to sort it out. As usual i called him up, though i did not tell him the nature of the job cos one of the job was sensitive. So when he arrived, I told him we needed a cage for the dogs.
This guy just arranged cage as if a bingo dog want to live there. My landlord came out and saw the job but he complained that he needed something lovely for the dogs.

During the time he was making the cage, My landlord was on a call cos he works for the state government. He just secured the furniture contract of 30 rooms in a guest house in the government house. It was around 15M +. He was hoping to give this my guy. Only for him to mess things up.

He showed me the call logs and i was speechless.
I havent told him cos we have not seen since then. This is a guy who has just a bike and a small shop. Someone that is still hussling saying he cant do this or that.

I learnt from his mistakes. If you know you have a profession, dont think their is a level at which you cant work anymore. Just because they give you repaid 2020 benz and above doesnt mean you should ignore someone that brings a 2004 model. Its your work, at least you will be paid.

In this life ,have come to learn that in what ever you do,do it Right.....no matter how small the job can be, do it as if it is your own and you want to do something great got your self because what you do for someone else might be the thing to speak for you anywhere in the world...always try your best to do the right thing at all time and don't ever underate work been small or little...just do your best and live the rest for God to handle.....the small job you do might be your passport to greater achievement tomorrow....so be grateful for anything that comes your way....peace out...
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by DeHorus: 3:43pm On Apr 05, 2022
FalseProphet1:

This I have seen.
When next you're reading, keep your weed aside and drink milk
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by ONNYX: 3:54pm On Apr 05, 2022
FalseProphet1:

This I have seen.

Reading is acquired skill.

Comprehension on the other hand is an Art.

1 Like

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Shebbs: 3:56pm On Apr 05, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Story

I Dey Laugh You, You Never See Where Dem Carry Person Job Or Opportunity Wey Go Make Am Rich Give Another PERSON Because Of Bad Manners. If You Like Make You No Get Good Character Poverty Go Play Snooker For Your Head.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by ONNYX: 3:58pm On Apr 05, 2022
nairaman66:

I am sure that if you read your post several times over, you will recognize the fallacy in your opinion. I cant believe that you can still reason like this in 2022. Its simply preposterous.

Help yourself and others Bro!

Change your world view.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Eagba(m): 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2022
SarkinYarki:

I5 million contract is for the landlord not your friend ..there is no way your friend can make 500k from that cintrct
besides due to how building materials is expensive now,. mdf board is 16k from 8k and they are talking of a job if 30 rooms, the guy no go make anything.
after landlord remove his own share.

1 Like

Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Judd007: 4:15pm On Apr 05, 2022
Not pride, the guy na wizard
Sheddy5:
That's pride.
Re: How My Upholsterer Lost 15 Million Naira Contract Because Of Attitude by Judd007: 4:18pm On Apr 05, 2022
Kai, you don talk am finish,I like your sense of reasoning.
nairaman66:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Two Ghanaian Nurses Sacked For Ignoring Patients To Have A Facebook Live Session / Labour Vows To Shutdown First Bank Over Plans To Sack Over 1000 Workers / Hilary Kelechi Madu Appointed NSCDC Acting Commandant-General As Gana Bows Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.