Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area (7208 Views)

Women Protest Nnamdi Kanu's Arrest; Demand His Release - Vanguard / Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Pictures Of New Flooding In Benue State!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by Afanna1: 6:08pm On Jul 05, 2011
small group of women in the Lekki area air their grievances about persistent flooding

Article | July 5, 2011 - 4:30am | By Godwin Akanfe

About 50 women, residents of Igbo Efon, a suburb in the Lekki area of Lagos State, marched to the Eti-Osa Local Government secretariat, with leaves and placards protesting. The march was about the blocked drainage in their community.

Mrs Iyabo Agbogun, wife of the traditional ruler of Igbo Efon who led the protest, said: "The protest  is the best way we  can alert the government of the suffering we face. We have been living here for more that 25 years; we have never experienced the kind of flooding we are seeing today; all is because of the ongoing Lekki/ Epe Expressway construction carried out by Hi Tech Construction Company."

"When we noticed that they decided to construct a roundabout at the Igbo Efon Bus Stop, we wrote to the Chairman of the Eti-Osa L.G.A. and told him that the construction had blocked our drainage system. He promised to do something, but nothing was done about it. The rains are here now; all we have is flood destroying our homes and our property," she said.

Agbogun complained that the women arrived the secretariat as early as 8a.m. with placards saying; "Our property has been destroyed by flood," "We voted for ACN but what  we gained is flood," "Hi-Tech has blocked our drains," but had yet to be attended to at 11 a.m. She noted that it was not the first time the women had been forced to protest.

"After we voted them into power, all we got was arrival of policemen who threw tear gas at us without even finding out why we were protesting," Agbogun said.

Mrs Aisha Ologolo, one of the protesters, reports that they wanted the council to instruct Hi Tech to open blocked drains in the community or construct new ones to avoid  flooding.

"Igbo Efon can no longer leave a normal life. Our children no longer go to school; we are scared to let them out of our sight because every where is flooded. We want the government to come to our aid so that our children do not die," she said.

Mrs Maria Isibor, had lived in Igbo Efon for 18 years, said; "Such an attitude cannot create peace. The government should create an avenue for all stakeholders to sit down and see how the problems can be solved very fast. When they wanted our votes, they came here to campaign and we voted for them; now we need them but we cannot see them," she said.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/women-protest-flooding-lagos-community

Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by EzeUche(m): 6:10pm On Jul 05, 2011
Where are you Fashola?  angry

Do something about this. . .
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by aljharem3: 6:12pm On Jul 05, 2011
EzeUche:

what do you want him to do

if u were fashola, what would u have done? lets test ur intelligence here
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by jason123: 6:19pm On Jul 05, 2011
alj_harem:

what do you want him to do

if u were fashola, what would u have done? lets test your intelligence here

Do you think Ezeuche is intelligent enough to reply you The guy dey fear . . . grin grin grin grin
Btw, alj harem, Thanks for continuing using your original ID. Haters will always hate but as for me? I dey gbadun you smiley
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by aljharem3: 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2011
^^^^^^

nice one jason cool

ezeuche i am waiting added ZnO to ur collection
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by jason123: 6:22pm On Jul 05, 2011
alj_harem:

^^^^^^

nice one jason cool

ezeuche i am waiting added ZnO to your collection

Guy, no need to wait. Fear dey catch am grin grin. He will not show up!!! If he does, it will be me he will attack not you. I know how they operate on NL wink cheesy
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by EzeUche(m): 6:25pm On Jul 05, 2011
Why should I waste my time?  undecided

Constant flooding in Lagos. Fashola needs to do something. The ocean is rising and Lagos may not be there in the future.
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by Calculia: 6:26pm On Jul 05, 2011
Alji and Jason, I pity u both. Very Idieeotic people. cool grin
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by jason123: 6:28pm On Jul 05, 2011
Calculia:

jason123:

Guy, no need to wait. Fear dey catch am grin grin. He will not show up!!! If he does, it will be me he will attack not you. I know how they operate on NL wink cheesy

I KNOW TALK AM?? grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by aljharem3: 6:28pm On Jul 05, 2011
EzeUche:

Why should I waste my time?  undecided

Constant flooding in Lagos. Fashola needs to do something. The ocean is rising and Lagos may not be there in the future.
grin grin grin

dude u posted
EzeUche:

and i asked if you where the governor of lagos state today, what would u do to stop this flooding

u see, we are all quike to criticize people but put urself in his shoes for one to see how easy or tough thing are.

i guess it is not easy
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by aljharem3: 6:29pm On Jul 05, 2011
Calculia:

keep decieving urself, i though u said i am jason so why use people to adderss us
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by EzeUche(m): 6:29pm On Jul 05, 2011
Calculia:

Instead of asking Saint Fashola to solve this problem. . . They are asking me to give them a solution.  grin
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by Calculia: 6:31pm On Jul 05, 2011
EzeUche:

Instead of asking Saint Fashola to solve this problem. . . They are asking me to give them a solution.  grin

I dey laugh o! in spanish. cheesy grin
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by GAR3TH(m): 6:32pm On Jul 05, 2011
Lets put things in perspective.

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has commenced plans for a N150 billion BENIN CITY STORM WATER MASTER PLAN. This master-plan is currently under construction and is design to stop the flooding and erosions in Benin city.

We should note that he had to Lobby to the federal government for him to get additional funding for this project. We should also note that Benin City has a population of 1.1 million people.

Now for the perspective. If Benin City, a population of 1.1 million, with the assistance of the FG, is currently paying N150 Billion ($1billion) for a storm water master-plan Imagine what a place like Lagos a population of 17 million will have to pay for its storm water master-plan. Something more or less to the tune of $17 Billion (N2.5 trillion). In other words, money Lagos does not have.

Fashola cant do everything, and from the looks of it lagos will have this flood problem for a while. Basically, the citizens of Lagos need to stop building houses in flood prone areas and stop illegally blocking drainages. At least stop until lagos  State get the situation under control.
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by aljharem3: 6:33pm On Jul 05, 2011
EzeUche:

since you criticized him, then i asked what would u have suggested for fashola to do

are u this clueless grin grin grin grin and yet u are in university as u claim
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by EzeUche(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2011
alj_harem:

since you criticized him, then i asked what would u have suggested for fashola to do

You are not serious! grin
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by seanet02: 6:40pm On Jul 05, 2011
We are trying our best and people should understand this. Why are some kidnappers trying to use paracetamol for another man's headache.
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by aljharem3: 6:42pm On Jul 05, 2011
EzeUche:

You are not serious!  grin

haba nothing do u smiley
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by aljharem3: 6:43pm On Jul 05, 2011
seanet02:

We are trying our best and people should understand this. Why are some kidnappers trying to use paracetamol for another man's headache.

who are the kidnappers
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by ZnO: 7:25pm On Jul 05, 2011
seanet02:

Your best is grossly inadequate. grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by Afanna1: 7:27pm On Jul 05, 2011
this need to be on the front page. grin grin wink
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by ektbear: 7:29pm On Jul 05, 2011
If what Garth says is true, then there is nothing really that can be done for now.

However, this is a problem that most cities in Nigeria have.
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by Kobojunkie: 7:32pm On Jul 05, 2011
um . . . . Tackling of the flooding problem has NOTHING to do with population of Lagos state, or Benin. The problem needs to be tackled and I believe last year, the Fg gave about $1 Billion to fight that problem in Lagos. If Lagos needs more from the FG, I am sure it is not a silly approach to go for more. Jeezz!!!
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by 4Play(m): 7:46pm On Jul 05, 2011
GAR3TH:

Lets put things in perspective.

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has commenced plans for a N150 billion BENIN CITY STORM WATER MASTER PLAN. This master-plan is currently under construction and is design to stop the flooding and erosions in Benin city.

We should note that he had to Lobby to the federal government for him to get additional funding for this project. We should also note that Benin City has a population of 1.1 million people.

Now for the perspective. If Benin City, a population of 1.1 million, with the assistance of the FG, is currently paying N150 Billion ($1billion) for a storm water master-plan Imagine what a place like Lagos a population of 17 million will have to pay for its storm water master-plan. Something more or less to the tune of $17 Billion (N2.5 trillion). In other words, money Lagos does not have.

Fashola cant do everything, and from the looks of it lagos will have this flood problem for a while. Basically, the citizens of Lagos need to stop building houses in flood prone areas and stop illegally blocking drainages. At least stop until lagos  State get the situation under control.

Wouldn't the proper comparison be with the geographical mass of the area you are protecting and the scale of the flooding threat? Comparing spending on a per head basis makes no sense.
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by dayokanu(m): 7:53pm On Jul 05, 2011
alj_harem:

grin grin
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by ektbear: 7:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
@alj_harem: You may as well ask a goat to roar like a lion as to ask for any sort of solution or even sensible comment from EzeUche or ZnO. When have they ever posted anything of that nature on this forum?

Both are one trick ponies. For either of them to comment intelligently on public policy is obviously beyond their capabilities.
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by Mariory(m): 8:39pm On Jul 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

You may as well ask a goat to roar like a lion as to ask for any sort of solution or even sensible comment from EzeUche or ZnO.

Aren't they the same poster?
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by ZnO: 8:43pm On Jul 05, 2011
All these dorty grammar because Fasola has FAILED WOEFULLY. When we insist that Fasola is all hype and no substance, they saw we are kidding. Look where it has landed them all, frothing in the mouth like epileptic patients
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by EkoIle1: 9:02pm On Jul 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

@alj_harem: You may as well ask a goat to roar like a lion as to ask for any sort of solution or even sensible comment from EzeUche or ZnO. When have they ever posted anything of that nature on this forum?

Both are one trick ponies. For either of them to comment intelligently on public policy is obviously beyond their capabilities.

It beats my why people pay attention to both empty heads.
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by ZnO: 9:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
Eko Ile:

It beats my why people pay attention to both empty heads.

Red Baba (Babapupa) ba wo ni? Se e'ti lick idi fasola tan?
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by Afam4eva(m): 9:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Re: Lagos Rains: Women Protest Flooding In Lekki Area by aljharem3: 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2011
afam4eva:

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

lol

who are u refering to

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos May Shut Abattoir Market / Results In Southwest Favours Buhari, Jonathan Only Won Ekiti State.(RESULTS) / Breaking! Enugu Central Police Station Under Siege As Biafrans Barricade It-pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.