Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,071 members, 7,859,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 08:44 PM

Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun (1150 Views)

US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage / Anambra, Imo Enugu Now Lead In Doctorate Degree Holders In Nigeria - NUC / Ssce And Third Degree Holders Barred From The Nigerian Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by olawalebabs(m): 2:57pm On Jul 06, 2011
Col. Enibukun Oyewole (Rtd), the Commandant, Osun Youth Empowerment Scheme (OYES), has disclosed that Master’s degree holders and Law graduates are among those employed by the scheme as cleaners.
Oyewole, who made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Osogbo, said that the scheme placed much emphasis on the dignity of labour.

NAN recalls that Gov. Rauf Aregbesola had on March 5, inaugurated 20,000 youths as volunteers into the scheme in Ede, near Osogbo.

He said then that idea of the scheme was not just employment, but the need for attitudinal change for youths to embrace the virtues of hard work, humility and discipline.

Oyewole said that although the scheme was designed to provide menial jobs to reduce the rate of unemployment, all categories of graduates applied for the job.

He explained that the scheme had provisions for other areas as greening, traffic control, paramedics, maintenance and rebuilding of infrastructure but it laid emphasis on environmental sanitation for now.

The commandant said that among those the scheme engaged to sweep streets and drain gutters were first and second degree holders including graduates of Statistics and Law.

According to him, the fact that many of the volunteers are well educated has contributed immensely to the success of the programme.
http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=542:degree-holders-accept-cleaners-job-in-osun&Itemid=97
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by olawalebabs(m): 2:58pm On Jul 06, 2011
That is the extent of unemployment in Nigeria could take a graduate to.
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by Afam4eva(m): 3:00pm On Jul 06, 2011
That's actually what they deserve. Since they don't their worth. That's if they have any.
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by Godalone(m): 3:31pm On Jul 06, 2011
Any Master's degree holder that take up such job does not know his/her worth.
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by olawalebabs(m): 4:13pm On Jul 06, 2011
Some masters holder are not what they claim to be
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by ektbear: 8:09pm On Jul 06, 2011
Wow.
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by ZnO: 8:13pm On Jul 06, 2011
No be Osun again? What did you expect? wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by Odunnu: 8:16pm On Jul 06, 2011
I've seen a mathematics graduate who is a contract cleaner for a bank. She's not even a regular confirmed staff. Mcheeeew.
My classmate just got a job at UNTH as a security man! *smh* such is life
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by olawalebabs(m): 8:31pm On Jul 06, 2011
What should we call this? Is it fate or the situation of the country?
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by Afam4eva(m): 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2011
It's neither fate or the situation of the country.It's their worth.
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by DisGuy: 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2011
ZnO:

No be Osun again? What did you expect? wink wink wink wink wink wink

kidnapping and a bit of militancy  wink wink

Better than sitting at home, cursing your Cabbie brother in New York!
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by ektbear: 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2011
The same sort of thing happens in north america though too. People will go to college and end up getting work as administrative assistants or secretaries.

While this is a better paying job and more prestigious than working as a cleaner, neither requires a college degree or even community college.

I think we need to focus more in Nigeria on teaching people trades. Too much focus on college is a bad idea, I think
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by DisGuy: 8:36pm On Jul 06, 2011
afam4eva:

That's actually what they deserve. Since they don't their worth. That's if they have any.

afam4eva:

what does that mean?
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by DisGuy: 8:39pm On Jul 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

The same sort of thing happens in north america though too. People will go to college and end up getting work as administrative assistants or secretaries.

While this is a better paying job and more prestigious than working as a cleaner, neither requires a college degree or even community college.

I think we need to focus more in Nigeria on teaching people trades. Too much focus on college is a bad idea, I think

happens everywhere in the world!

just that in nigeria everyone including a history/sociology graduate wants to earn N100k like the bank tellers and customer service workers
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by ektbear: 8:42pm On Jul 06, 2011
Dis Guy:

happens everywhere in the world!
That was my guess. But I only wanted to speak what I know definitively about and have seen plenty of with my own eyes.

just that in nigeria everyone including a history/sociology graduate wants to earn N100k like the bank tellers and customer service workers
Hehe

Everyone wants to study easy courses but get paid well grin
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by ZnO: 8:45pm On Jul 06, 2011
Dis Guy:

kidnapping and a bit of militancy  wink wink

Better than sitting at home, cursing your Cabbie brother in New York!
Or motor park touting and killing 20 passengers or innocent bystanders every other day? wink wink wink
Or begging for alms - aka southern almajiris. wink wink wink wink
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by DisGuy: 8:47pm On Jul 06, 2011
crazy thing is many  of them have never worked a day after NYSC posting, not even volunteering to gain some 'soft skills' just straight up big money!  grin
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by ektbear: 9:01pm On Jul 06, 2011
What sort of soft skills do you have in mind?
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 06, 2011
afam4eva:

Are you saying it would be worth it if they had ended up as spare part dealers or kidnappers ? You sound as if graduates in iboland are gainfully employed .nawao
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by aljharem3: 9:14pm On Jul 06, 2011
afam4eva:

so u mean he deserves to be a cleaner

is this not better than kidnapping or stealing,

i rate this man for not doing sure, kudos to him

our people say

mutumin da yakan bawa ba ta fi ɓarawo
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by Afam4eva(m): 9:16pm On Jul 06, 2011
Bluetooth, why are u taking this thing tribal. Anyways it's better to be a spare parts millonaire than to be a cleaner. It's a very demeaning job. If these guys can't find a good job they should be employers of labour. Except they didn't learn anything in school. I'm sorry for our half baked graduates.
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by aljharem3: 9:17pm On Jul 06, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Are you saying it would be worth it if they had ended up as spare part dealers or kidnappers ? You sound as if graduates in iboland are gainfully employed .nawao

it has nothing to do with igbo angry angry
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by DisGuy: 9:21pm On Jul 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

What sort of soft skills do you have in mind?

communication, negotiation, teamwork, social skills stuff like that
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by olawalebabs(m): 9:30pm On Jul 06, 2011
In Nigeria Networking is the main thing, better still "man know man"
Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 06, 2011
afam4eva:

Bluetooth, why are u taking this thing tribal. Anyways it's better to be a spare parts millonaire than to be a cleaner. It's a very demeaning job. If these guys can't find a good job they should be  employers of labour. Except they didn't learn anything in school. I'm sorry for our half baked graduates.

Can you please tell me the worth of a graduate in a country where unemployment is very high ? These people are just unfortunate to find themselves in this kind of situation and as far as I'm concerned,it has nothing to do with their qualification or where they earned it,umemployment is a nigeria disaster !
afam4eva:

Bluetooth, why are u taking this thing tribal. Anyways it's better to be a spare parts millonaire than to be a cleaner. It's a very demeaning job. If these guys can't find a good job they should be  employers of labour. Except they didn't learn anything in school. I'm sorry for our half baked graduates.

Can you please tell me the worth of a graduate in a country where unemployment is very high ? These people are just unfortunate to find themselves in this kind of situation and as far as I'm concerned,it has nothing to do with their qualification or where they earned it,umemployment is a nigeria disaster !

afam4eva link=topic=707521.msg8665142#msg8665142 date=1309983374]
[quote][/quote]

Re: Degree Holders Accept Cleaner's Job In Osun by 1luvkipsus: 10:07pm On Jul 07, 2011
That is why alot of graduates remain unemployed.what if d govt is paying them as graduates,or they are recruited as supervisors?is it stil bad?

(1) (Reply)

What Could Cause A Revolution In Nigeria? / Nigeria Prison Break: Gunmen Storm Kogi State Prison / Camerounian Government Bans TB Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.