Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? (1009 Views)

Nigerians Need PDP Now - Acting Chairman Uche Secondus / Why Are The Wailers And PDP Crying About The Rule Of Law??? / Ndigbo Wont Vote For ACN In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 3:21am On Jul 07, 2011
Written by Abiodun Awolaja Wednesday, 06 July 2011

Against the backdrop of the resolve of the South-East geopolitical zone to produce the next national chairman of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Abiodun Awolaja looks at possible developments which this agitation could engineer in the polity.

IN football circles, attack is often said to be the best form of defence. This principle, which  leaves the enemy with no chances at all while securing one’s position on a perpetual basis, has apparently been adopted by the South-East geopolitical zone,  a major beneficiary in the power sharing arrangement in the current Republic, in its current quest for the chairmanship of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Last Saturday, the South-East zone of the PDP raised the alarm over what it called the continued marginalisation of Ndigbo in the polity, calling for the full implementation of Article 14:5 of the party’s constitution with a view to addressing the imbalance in the party and returning the national chairmanship position to the zone. The South-East PDP Executive Committee, rising from a one-day meeting in Enugu, the Enugu State capital, urged the ruling party to return the chairmanship of the party to the South-East zone without any further delay.

Chief Olisa Metuh, the National Vice-Chairman of the PDP (South-East), who read the communiqué issued at the end of the meeting, said that the PDP Constitution made it clear that when any member from a particular zone vacates a seat, he/she could only be succeeded by another member of the party from the same zone. Since the two immediate past national chairmen of the party from the South-East zone, Vincent Ogbulafor and Okwesileze Nwodo, could not complete their tenures on behalf of the South-East, he said, a member of the party from the zone should be allowed to complete the remaining tenure, adding that the South-East only spent 22 months out of 48 months allotted to the zone. On the strength of this argument therefore, the zone, he said, should be allowed to spend another 26 months in the chairmanship position.

If the South-East’s demand for the chairmanship is met, it would see the zone sitting comfortably with four key positions in the polity, namely those of the Deputy Senate President, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives and national chairman of the ruling party. This kind of politicking is very correct, particularly since another southern zone, the South-West, currently does not occupy any of the key posts in the polity. The South-East, which overwhelmingly voted for the PDP in the April general election, is appropriately demanding compensation from the party, which was rejected at the National Assembly, gubernatorial and House of Assembly elections in the South-West during the widely acclaimed free and fair April elections.

Although the cry that the South-East is being  marginalised is not new in the current Republic (1999 to date), it is perhaps difficult to reconcile the agitation with the facts of power sharing arrangement since the return to civil rule in 1999. Between 1999 and 2007 when a South-West politician, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, was President and Commander-in-Chief, the South-East occupied the Number Three position of Senate President, producing Evan Enwerem, Chuba Okadigbo, Anyim Pius Anyim, Adolphus Wabara and Ken Nnamani, as various occupants of the position. Again, with the emergence of the late Alhaji Umaru Yar’Adua as president in 2007, the South-East, among others, occupied the position of Deputy Senate President and National Chairman of the PDP. The zone had also, unlike the South-West, produced female ministers between May 1999 and May 2011.

Previously, that is, before the agitation for the national chairmanship position in the South-East, some schools of thought had held that the ‘’good luck’’ of the Igbo in securing the positions of Deputy Senate President, Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives in the current dispensation, could expose them to increased animosity.

This fear was not misplaced, judging by the views of some analysts who descended on the House from the zone for allegedly colluding with Speaker Aminu Tambuwal to deny the South-West the speakership seat which had been zoned to it by the party. For instance, an analyst, Jumbo Preye Ekiyor, speaking on Tambuwal’s emergence as Speaker, had said:”In this congregation of infamy, the members of the party from the South-East zone stand out for their opportunism. Having agitated and failed to get the office of the Speaker zoned to them, they resorted to conspiracy and subversion. They conspired with the northern extremists to wreak vengeance on the party for its position on President Goodluck Jonathan. It is an irony, worthy of the utmost condemnation, that the South-East members, whose people voted overwhelmingly for President Jonathan, could use his candidacy as the ground for revolt.’’

[Vincent Ogbulafor]

Vincent Ogbulafor
Another school of thought in the South-East holds the view that the three positions secured by the zone were not enough reason to argue that it had finally broken the marginalisation jinx in the country. To this group of thinkers, justice could not be said to have been done to the South-East until a president of Igbo extraction is installed in 2015. This quest for the presidency, while it is a legitimate one given that the region is yet to produce a Commander-in-Chief in 51 years of Nigeria’s independent nationhood, should perhaps also be squared up against the desire of the North to produce the president in 2015, after failing to secure the position despite the huge fight it gave Jonathan. Would the North be willing to allow another southerner to emerge president in 2015?

Still, it has been said that the South-East, which suffered untold havoc during the Civil War years (1967-70), from which it has not yet fully recovered, is not as concerned with the array of positions held by people from the zone as it is concerned with the readiness of the various levels of government in the country to address the developmental questions of the region. Those who hold this view argue that the region cannot be said to have significantly benefited from the positions occupied at the federal level by individuals from the zone since 1999.

Seen another way, however, the current quest for the PDP chairmanship by power blocs within the South-East zone is bound to have a salutary effect on the polity, as it signals the region’s acceptance of, and deeper integration into, the country from which it sought to disengage in the late sixties following the genocide visited on people from the zone in the North, itself a corollary of the first military coup in the country on October 15, 1966, which was perceived to be an Igbo coup. Thus, as far as questions of Nigeria’s unity are concerned, it can hardly be said that the South-East is asking for too much in demanding the PDP national chairmanship position.

Unfortunately, however, the foregoing does not appear to be the full equation. For one, the North-East geopolitical zone, to which the position of PDP national chairman has been zoned following the emergence of Dr Jonathan, a South-South candidate, as president, has indicated that it would do all within its power to get the position. In stating this resolve, the power blocs within the North-East did not even factor the South-East into the equation at all. Rather, they were reacting to the decision of the South-West to occupy the position following its failure to clinch the speakership position  earlier zoned to it by the PDP.

Indeed, that relatively less influential position is the only vacant post left for both zones, (the South-West), and the North-East, and it does not yet appear that either zone would be willing to concede it to the South-East.

Still, the current situation has grave implications for the desire of the South-East to produce the president in 2015. If the zone presents strong candidates for the post in 2015, it would presumably need to enjoy the support of the South-West caucus in the party, but the alleged role played by members of the House of Representative from the zone in the defeat of Mulikat Akande-Adeola might likely be played up to the disadvantage of the zone.

It would be recalled that, for Jonathan, the entire South spoke with one voice. But this one voice is being threatened by developments since the conclusion of the April general election, and it is not yet clear how a consensus would be forged in the face of obvious divisions within the southern axis of the PDP.

That is, of course, assuming that the North mellows down its resolve, even as it holds the ace as far as the question of Nigeria’s president in 2015 is concerned, including questions regarding a possible indication of interest in a second term of office by the incumbent president, against his avowed resolve to serve for one term only.

However, whether or not the South-East clinches the PDP chairmanship position, it cannot be denied that it has established itself as a major power bloc in the current Republic. Obviously, there is still more aggressive push for power to come from the zone.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 3:24am On Jul 07, 2011
Is this man making any sense?
SE still has months to go before relinguishing the chairmanship position to a new occupant
Assuming Nwodo was still there would he have mouth to talk?
Moreover, does he want the SW to eat its cake and have it?
They voted for ACN, why the desire to reap from PDP?
I thought they were contented with ACN and Tinubu? why look elsewhere for the spoils of war?
Na waoh! I talk am say all these gra gra na for internet only. In reality, they are hurting, real bad.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by NegroNtns(m): 3:39am On Jul 07, 2011
If the South-East’s demand for the chairmanship is met, it would see the zone sitting comfortably with four key positions in the polity, namely those of the Deputy Senate President, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Deputy Speaker of the House of Repr

Make it seven - the President is serving the SE slot.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 4:06am On Jul 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

If the South-East’s demand for the chairmanship is met, it would see the zone sitting comfortably with four key positions in the polity, namely those of the Deputy Senate President, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Deputy Speaker of the House of Repr

Make it seven - the President is serving the SE slot.

You have yourself to blame for being brainwashed by Tinubu to go tribal. I pray you remain tribal for life, so that the spoils of war will be enough for us nationalists. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by koruji(m): 4:11am On Jul 07, 2011
SE is now nationalist - E gba mi ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

ZnO:

You have yourself to blame for being brainwashed by Tinubu to go tribal. I pray you remain tribal for life, so that the spoils of war will be enough for us [size=20pt]nationalists[/size]. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by dayokanu(m): 4:20am On Jul 07, 2011
For instance, an analyst, Jumbo Preye Ekiyor, speaking on Tambuwal’s emergence as Speaker, had said:”[size=18pt]In this congregation of infamy, the members of the party from the South-East zone stand out for their opportunism[/size]. Having agitated and failed to get the office of the Speaker zoned to them, they resorted to conspiracy and subversion. They conspired with the northern extremists to wreak vengeance on the party for its position on President Goodluck Jonathan. It is an irony, worthy of the utmost condemnation, that the South-East members, whose people voted overwhelmingly for President Jonathan, could use his candidacy as the ground for revolt.’’

Spot bleeping on

Still, the current situation has grave implications for [size=18pt]the desire of the South-East to produce the president in 2015[/size]. If the zone presents strong candidates for the post in 2015, it would presumably need to enjoy the support of the South-West caucus in the party, .

Dem wan thief am?
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by alex14(m): 4:26am On Jul 07, 2011
The rants emanating from the writer of this article can best be described as "ranting of a clown" cool.

So because SW lost out in its quest for speakership to the north, Abiodun Awolaja blamed it on SE conspiracy,,,,what ever happened to northern conspiracy?

Ndigbo should forge ahead,,,aggressively if need be. We are no longer anybody's keeper. They (SE PDP) should maximise what they can get irrespective of what any detractor may/might think, for it is about Ndigbo's desire. Our friends of SW extraction already indicated that they're not interested in national politics as they have gone regional,,,,so why the whinning? embarassed
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 4:33am On Jul 07, 2011
alex_101:

The rants emanating from the writer of this article can best be described as "ranting of a clown" cool.

So because SW lost out in its quest for speakership to the north, Abiodun Awolaja blamed it on SE conspiracy,,,,what ever happened to northern conspiracy?

Ndigbo should forge ahead,,,aggressively if need be. We are no longer anybody's keeper. They (SE PDP) should maximise what they can get irrespective of what any detractor may/might think, for it is about Ndigbo's desire. Our friends of SW extraction already indicated that they're not interested in national politics as they have gone regional,,,,so why the whinning? embarassed

Enough said. Thanks.
Those who WILLINGLY (or is it STUPIDLY) allowed themselves to be led to the slaughter house should be bold enough to go under the butcher's knife.
I see a complete reversion from ACN to PDP in 2015. Show me a pro-stit-ute.
Another AD-to-PDP journey in the making. grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by alex14(m): 4:47am On Jul 07, 2011
ZnO:

Enough said. Thanks.
Those who WILLINGLY (or is it STUPIDLY) allowed themselves to be led to the slaughter house should be bold enough to go under the butcher's knife.
I see a complete reversion from ACN to PDP in 2015. Show me a pro-stit-ute.
Another AD-to-PDP journey in the making. grin grin grin grin
grin I tire for these people O! Bunch of longer-throat folks. They say they are tired of abuja, they want to go back to their regional capital in Ibadan. In thesame shameless token, they say they don't mind the abuja again undecided. What a shame! I guess they are already missing the national treasury,,,,since Tinumbu has finally cornered their "regional treasury" to himself grin. These ngbatis are neither here nor there,,,very slippery folks like catfish.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 4:52am On Jul 07, 2011
alex_101:

grin I tire for these people O! Bunch of longer-throat folks. They say they are tired of abuja, they want to go back to their regional capital in Ibadan. In thesame shameless token, they say they don't mind the abuja again undecided. What a shame! I guess they are already missing the national treasury,,,,since Tinumbu has finally cornered their "regional treasury" to himself grin. These ngbatis are neither here nor there,,,very slippery like catfish.

This time that slippery catfish will be roasted in the berbecue.
Let them remain in their Lagos-Ibadan cocoon
in 2015 GEJ continues or Igbos compete with the North for the position in PDP
If the North wins the primaries, we will support them to continue a northern turn, after which it reverts to us in the SE
I, personally, am not keen on an Igbo presidency until the right Igbo is identified who will make a difference
I do not want a wasted 8 years like Obasanjo/SW.
At any rate, Igbo votes and their new-found voting pattern will force the North to a discussion Table on the way moving forward.
They did notvote for Obj in 1999, but it did not stop Obj from winning. Keep your votes. We will work with those who care
When your turn comes to lead again, you will get your recompense.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by stormm: 6:09am On Jul 07, 2011
@ZnO & alex_101,

Continue to revel in your delusion grin. Just because Okorocha has been singing some joyful tunes, the Se is on the path of development or that your SE people produced the SGF, Deputy Senate President or even the Chairman of PDP means the entire SE from Onitsha to Ebonyi is smelling of roses?

ZnO, continue dancing naked in the market place grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 6:30am On Jul 07, 2011
stormm:

@ZnO & alex_101,

Continue to revel in your delusion grin. Just because Okorocha has been singing some joyful tunes, the Se is on the path of development or that your SE people produced the SGF, Deputy Senate President or even the Chairman of PDP means the entire SE from Onitsha to Ebonyi is smelling of roses?

ZnO, continue dancing unclothed in the market place grin grin grin grin

I have no clue what you have been smoking; whatever it is, it must be the exact same thing that Tinubu smoked in the past and gave you to taste last April.
Remember, I did not send you to commit suicide, did I?

Yes, oh! Dude, I am dancing naked to the drum that you beat. When the beat dies out, the dancing stops. For now, it is dancing all the way to Bodija market grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by seanet02: 6:42am On Jul 07, 2011
Ibos and their Nonsensical Reasonings. Is the voice of South west PDP members now the voice of the People of South west who voted massively to flush out PDP in the general elections? This na stone age reasoning.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by stormm: 9:04am On Jul 07, 2011
seanet02:

Ibos and their Nonsensical Reasonings. Is the voice of South west PDP members now the voice of the People of South west who voted massively to flush out PDP in the general elections? This na stone age reasoning.

Very apt. Thanks for explaining better.

ZnO:

When the beat dies out, the dancing stops. For now, it is dancing all the way to Bodija market grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Very myopic reasoning. Opportunistic and shallow minded. Pity your likes if this is what you are passing on as political legacy.
Nobody dey tell blind man say market don close!
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 2:06pm On Jul 07, 2011
stormm:

Very apt. Thanks for explaining better.

Very myopic reasoning. Opportunistic and shallow minded. Pity your likes if this is what you are passing on as political legacy.
Nobody dey tell blind man say market don close!

See where your ''hyperopic reasoning'' has landed you now? The only job you have now is to continue beating the drum for me to dance. You will remain doing so until 2015 when you all make your usual 4-yearly pilgrimage back to PDP.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by Akanbiedu(m): 2:40pm On Jul 07, 2011
SMH at the Igbo commentators here.

I think Igbos should stick to business, they are mediocres in politics. Their individualistic nature is bad for politics.

ZnO:

This time that slippery catfish will be roasted in the berbecue.
Let them remain in their Lagos-Ibadan cocoon
in 2015 GEJ continues or Igbos compete with the North for the position in PDP
If the North wins the primaries, we will support them to continue a northern turn, after which it reverts to us in the SE
I, personally, am not keen on an Igbo presidency until the right Igbo is identified who will make a difference
I do not want a wasted 8 years like Obasanjo/SW.
At any rate, Igbo votes and their new-found voting pattern will force the North to a discussion Table on the way moving forward.
They did notvote for Obj in 1999, but it did not stop Obj from winning. Keep your votes. We will work with those who care
When your turn comes to lead again, you will get your recompense.

Let me see if I can help you.

Going by the last voter's registration, maximum obtainable combined votes from both both SS and SE is less than NW votes alone. Where do you think NE goes. NE is always with NW. The so much talked about NC will be shared between the blocks. You are at a disadvantage my friend, the north is the big brother. you'll have to take whatever they give you.

Now try to combine that advantage the north has over you already with incumbency if the north is ruling, they can rule as many years as they like.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 3:14pm On Jul 07, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

SMH at the Igbo commentators here.

I think Igbos should stick to business, they are mediocres in politics. Their individualistic nature is bad for politics.

Let me see if I can help you.

Going by the last voter's registration, maximum obtainable combined votes from both both SS and SE is less than NW votes alone. Where do you think NE goes. NE is always with NW. The so much talked about NC will be shared between the blocks. You are at a disadvantage my friend, the north is the big brother. you'll have to take whatever they give you.

Now try to combine that advantage the north has over you already with incumbency if the north is ruling, they can rule as many years as they like.

Igbos contributed millions of votes in SW and SS and North. So you make no sense. Igbo votes are not limited to the SE.
You make the North sound more powerful than they really are, especially with Igbos finding their feet again via a voting pattern, and the North not as united as people like you believe. But we wait for time to dispel you or me. Thank you.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by Akanbiedu(m): 3:14pm On Jul 07, 2011
Even the so much voting pattern, supposedly an alliance between the SS and SE, I am 100% sure the Igbos will ruin it.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by Akanbiedu(m): 3:17pm On Jul 07, 2011
ZnO:

Igbos contributed millions of votes in SW and SS and North. So you make no sense. Igbo votes are not limited to the SE.
You make the North sound more powerful than they really are, especially with Igbos finding their feet again via a voting pattern, and the North not as united as people like you believe. But we wait for time to dispel you or me. Thank you.

I am going to say this just once.

IT IS NOT VOTES THAT WIN PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS IN NIGERIA, NOT YET.

You'll see whether they are powerful or not by the time they win presidential elections.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 3:18pm On Jul 07, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Even the so much voting pattern, supposedly an alliance between the SS and SE, I am 100% sure the Igbos will ruin it.

My friend, you have nothing to say. Let 2015 come. Bye.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ZnO: 3:39am On Jul 11, 2011
Losers always cry
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by stormm: 11:38am On Jul 11, 2011
ZnO:

My friend, you have nothing to say. Let 2015 come. Bye.

With Iwuanyanwu, Uba(Snr & Jnr), Ojo Madueke, Stella Oduah and co as your leaders and your likes following sheepishly? Dream on.
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by gogo13233: 12:41pm On Jul 11, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

CRAP, BEFORE THE ELECTION OF TAMBAWAL, NGBANTIS IN THIS FORUM WERE HAILING THE CONSPIRACY/ALLIANCE OF THEY THE NGBANTIS AND THE ABOKIS. YOU GODFORSAKEN LOSERS, YOU ARE DOWN AND WILL REMAIN DOWN.STAY TO YOUR TRIBAL WAY OF LIFE.SLIPPERY RECTAL ITCHES
Re: What Is This Man Crying About? I Thought They Did Not Need PDP & Voted For ACN? by ak47mann(m): 12:55pm On Jul 11, 2011
grin grin Yoruba people they think everybody in Nigeria reason stupidly like them undecided

(1) (Reply)

Un Suspends Travels To Nigeria Over Abuja Blast / The Revolution We Need / Oyo State Needs Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.