Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,083 members, 7,849,394 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:19 PM

16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots (8187 Views)

PDP Mocks Buhari & NASS With Cartoons (photos) / Gunfire, Blasts Hit Maiduguri: Boko-Haram VS JTF, 16 killed / Serious Riots In Wuse, Abuja & Mararaba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by allonym: 9:54am On Feb 22, 2006
This is why I should never become head of state of a country. I would round up all idiots and lock them away. Life would be nice for the sane population, but i would be impugned as a intolerant dictator.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by allonym: 10:03am On Feb 22, 2006
I can understand anger over the cartoons.

However, every person involved in the mayhem has defied my abilities at this time to come up with adjectives that would describe them. I can easily understand why others on this thread have resorted to calling them animals. . What other term can you use for someone who kills, burns, destroys something which is doing nothing to them.

Muslims around the world claim to have a peace loving religion. They claim to be outraged over the cartoons. They claim to be a just people. Then, how do you explain the riots? The actions of an unruly FEW who don't really follow islam?

Please, that is a load of BS. How many instances of christians rioting and killing muslims or jews doing the same? Or how about Buddists rioting and killing people?

Why is it that Muslims seem to the main protagonists of so much of the negative sides of religious conflicts?

Unless muslim leaders are able to step in and control these "rogue" elements, I guarantee that over the next 20-50 years, we will see a marginalization of Islam by the rest of the world.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by GL(f): 3:30am On Feb 23, 2006
If Nigeria kept telling the world that we are not 419ers but honest ppl, and we didn't do anything about it, the world would have laughed at us and we would have been deceiving ourselves. What did we do, we acknowledged that there were a lot of 419ers amongst us and we started punishing them. Now, the world knows that we do not support this activity.

This issue of muslims being violent isn't a Nigerian thing. It is everywhere. Take for example, the 2004 nations cup - Tunisia 2004. Egyptian and Algerian fans (i'm not too sure of the 2 countries, but i'm certain it was 2 Islamic countries) fought themselves with cutlasses on the streets of Tunisia. Tunisian fans threatened the lives of Nigerians on the day they were to play against us.

What about the 2003 CAF Champions league final match where Enyimba beat an Egyptian club?

What about the violence going on in other countries, with Islamic leaders promising prizes for anyone who can kill the cartoonists? Or are the Islamic leaders also criminals and hooligans? If they are, why are the good and law-abiding muslims still looking up to them for spiritual guidance?

How many global terrorists are not muslims? How many ppl can strap bombs to the bodies of the children they bore and send them on suicide missions? Who are those doing it - muslims.

We can decide to be civilized, tactful and diplomatic. But the truth is, based on the facts on ground, muslims are presenting a violent front to the world. I, for one, cannot read the Koran to decide what Islam is all about so I make my conclusions from the lifestyles of muslims. I know many good muslims, but they are ALL from the south of Nigeria (with exception to mallams, who are really struggling to make a living here in lagos). Most of what I hear of muslims elsewhere, including Northern Nigeria, is negative. If I go by logic, u know what the conclusion would be.

There are many ppl, however, who don't even know any muslims personally. All they hear is on tv. How do you sell them this religion-of-peace message when all they see and here is muslims killing ppl over nothing?

I've even heard of them killing/fighting their relatives who forsook the religion.

Ralex,
yes, the world is a global village and a string pulled here can vibrate thousands of miles away. however, in this global age intelligence and civilization abounds and ppl are expected to know how to react in certain situations. muslims should have learnt how to react to this from other religions. afterall, nigerians have kidnapped americans and britons several times now, why haven't they retaliated since there are many nigerians in the US and UK? or don't they have criminals and hooligans there?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by GL(f): 3:37am On Feb 23, 2006
Seun,

u said d killers/protesters are just criminals and it's only a coincidence that the happen to be northerners and muslims.

the world doesn't really believe in coincidences anymore. there should be some sort of explanation for everything. afterall, that's the basis of atheism - too much is left to coincidence and unexplainable supernatural forces in religion. no hard facts. so why do we keep regarding this violence as coincidence. This is the very thing I'm against - when these things happen we pretend that they're just coincidences. Check all the global terrorist attacks so far and see the percentage of muslims. Check all the religious clashes in Nigeria and other countries with large percentages of christians and muslims and see those that were perpertrated by muslims. check out all the times Jesus has been insulted in movies, press etc. globally; compare it with Muhammed/Allah and see the responses.

Do you still think it is a coincidence? How about the Iranian authorities encouraging it? The Kano legislators, who haven't yet provided drinking water for all their citizens, promising a prize for the person who can kill the cartoonist? No one has come out to disown them, even though they are doing it in the name of Islam. What do you have to say about the Kano govt. putting up rules that infringe the rights of christians there. How come no organisation is fighting it. Where are all the human rights organisations? When it comes to violence in the name of Islam, the whole world turns a blind eye.
Did you notice that the Nigerian govt. isn't mentioning Islam in their statements. They're saying all religions should learn to live in peace. Why all the beating around the bush. Let's be frank with ourselves. When did all religions in Nigeria fight? Isn't it the muslims that have been fighting all the time. Isn't it the muslims in the north that have been doing so. Why are they trying to make it look like there are no christians there? Why did they oppose ethnicity and religion in the upcoming census? I think we've pretended enough, we must fight against this or else Nigeria will become an Islamic nation.

Since we've been having such clashes, how many of these demonstrators have been brought to book. Don't these cases just die down and we all act like we're eager to see/hear something else from the media? For those that say it is an ethnic clash in the guise of a religious one - how come they kill fellow northerners who are christians?

I'm not disputing that there are millions of rational muslims worldwide, but if you check they are the ones who realize that when they live with non-muslims, Islam must be a religion and not a culture.

sorry for all the long posts but this is just one issue that touches my heart. it has the potential of destroying this nation.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by gbadex1(m): 2:27pm On Feb 23, 2006
i've said it times and times without number. if "Allah" was so powerful and Almighty, why is it that he needs mortals, puportedly created by him to fight for him at the slightest whim? if Mommahed was so -"Allah's Prophet", why is it that at the slightest provocation, muslims would take arms and bombs and kill people??!!
it seems the message they (muslims) are trying to pass across, is that they don't really have a "God". or it is man-made. if not why the violence in the name of a so-called Diety? muslims talk saying their religion is a religion of peace, but what we see is a religion devoid of peace, grace and tolerance. what we see is a religion so filled with hatred, strife, violence, and an order to kill in "Allah's" name(jihad).
i am not suprised at the majority's grieviances. if the muslim's in the north can act this way, then it means their religion imparts into them a mentality or mindset to behave sub-human. "animal" would be an understatement. heck, animals even have a sort of code by which they interlive.
this does not mean i support the cartoons. i condemn them. but i also condemn, not just in Nigeria, worldwide-the violence portrayed by the muslims and put under the disguise as religious protest
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by ocho(f): 5:13pm On Feb 23, 2006
I just spoke to a friend who resides in Bauchi and she told me of my former classmate who  became an orphan overnight having lost both parents in the riot! cry that's horrible!! cry  sad
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by pajimoh(m): 11:00pm On Feb 23, 2006
That is too bad, is there any Governor in that state? i think he should be hanged if there is any.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Seun(m): 11:44pm On Feb 23, 2006
Punish the perpetrators, and the perpetrators only.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Idekeson(m): 2:11am On Feb 24, 2006
Good Job Biafrans! Very Good job!
Remember if you die in the cause, you'll reincarnate as a multi-billionaire and can marry 7 maidens if you want. Aluta Continua!
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by mochafella(m): 2:13am On Feb 24, 2006
Idekeson:

Remember if you die in the cause, you'll reincarnate as a multi-billionire and can marry 7 maidens if you want.

Thats a new one grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by allonym: 3:07am On Feb 24, 2006
Seun:

Punish the perpetrators, and the perpetrators only.

I don't think people are quite going beyond this. . but it hearkens back to what I said earlier:

allonym:

Unless muslim leaders are able to step in and control these "rogue" elements, I guarantee that over the next 20-50 years, we will see a marginalization of Islam by the rest of the world.

However, when a child pulls a gun out and blows away his classmates, who is responsible, yes, the child is responsible. . but so is the person who got the child the gun. With many LEADERS offering up PRIZE MONEY for the deaths of other human beings, I think the punishment must extend beyond those directly carrying out the violence. Still, punish the leaders all we want, we still must deal with the speak one thing act another face of Islam. The world has seen too many times the "yeah, those people don't represent us face of Islam" and I don't think that excuse will hold for too much longer. No matter how many times you tell people not to sink to their level, if muslim radicals kill enough, they will reignite the real holy wars of our time.

BTW, I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. . . I can't place it in the context of this conversation. . perhaps your should explain yourself:

Idekeson:

Remember if you die in the cause, you'll reincarnate as a multi-billionaire and can marry 7 maidens if you want. Aluta Continua!
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by ZuluNation(m): 4:54am On Feb 24, 2006
Idekeson:

Biafra is back my brother. Long live the Federal Republic Of Biafra.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by WesleyanA(f): 5:47am On Feb 24, 2006
If those northerners hadn't heard about the "cartoon" issue, nothing would have happened.
some people just have their brethrens and seek destruction for the fun of it.

why would you think offending cartoons shouldn't be published
but think that violent killings of people who didn't publish those cartoons should be carried out.

it's just plain hypocrisy.

those Mohammedians/moslems should go directly to Denmark and face the cartoonist rather than bully innocent christians.

mocking cartoon images of Jesus were drawn too but did some christians react violently? NO!!
(Nigeria excluded because lately i've been hearing of "peace loving" christian killing moslems in the north?)
so before saying moslems like violence, some christians are taking that path too.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by smiler(f): 12:06pm On Feb 24, 2006
angry angry angry

I still don't understand the thinking of men/humans!!!!! shocked How can this cartoon stuff cause problem in any country but Denmark, (that is if it had to), Cushman there is no rationalising here, abah! what is there to rationalise .

That a poor christian woman or man who did not even see this carton would have to die for what probably they did not even have CNN to watch it on, hey!!!! na waoh ooooo! cry

MY broda, please if there is a forum where you guys meet could you pass on the message of peace, these killings are not necessary, it is evil, really evil and now it is having ripple effects Onitsha has retaliated when e go end sad
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by cushman(m): 12:18pm On Feb 24, 2006
@smiler, I feel youbut you are wrong; I'm not supporting what is happening.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by smiler(f): 3:26pm On Feb 24, 2006
@ cushman please don't, Lets make a change in our generation to leave a legacy of peace for people coming behind us.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by nikinash(f): 5:34pm On Feb 24, 2006
this thing is really really sad, innocent people just dying for what?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by GL(f): 5:47am On Feb 25, 2006
I liken the onitsha case to the fight between Nigerian and Beninoise youths recently or to family feuds. That's not strange.

The fight in the north is just senseless. The more I think of it, I'm convinced that the perpertrators are depraved. How do you kill your brother because someone else offended you?

Some ppl argue that the perpertrators are criminals who happen to be muslims, but I maintain that the Islamic world can take a definite stance against violence/terrorism that would make everyone know that they don't support it, and that perpertrators are just criminals,

Nigeria's stance on 419 is an example, ppl familiar with the issue can now tell that Nigerians are not all 419ers and Nigeria isn't about 419. They see us prosecuting offenders. However, if our leaders were to say to the international community, "you guys have our monies stashed up in ur banks, so u have no right to call us 419ers, cos u're also cheating us. Besides those doing it are just criminals.", everyone would know that Nigeria is truly a 419 country.

One may argue that Nigeria, as a state, has the authority to prosecute offenders. So I'll use the Christian Church and homosexuality as an example. This is just to show how a religious group can take a definite stance on certain issues, and not to cast a swipe on homosexuals.

The Christian Church has been very vocal against homosexuality, even though there are many ppl withing the Church practicing it. These ppl have actually had to strive with the Church to gain acceptance, and this has divided the Church. The Anglican Church is an English church, but even though the English branch has begun accepting homosexuals, the African section has refused, very loudly, to accept them. They even threatened to break away from the mother church. This is a VERY bold step and anyone can tell the Nigerian Anglican Communion's stance on homosexuality. This is notable when you consider that homosexuality is a human rights issue, and unlike violence/terrorism doesn't infringe on the rights of others.

The Catholic Church's stance on abortion, birth control pills is another one. If a Church can be so bold against something so many ppl think is right, why can't Islam (in Nigeria and worldwide) take such a bold, visible stance against violence/terrorism, which everyone agrees is bad and tramples on the rights of others?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Jakumo(m): 6:10am On Feb 25, 2006
GL the answer to your question as to why Muslim leaders do not take a clear and consistent stand against violence MAY be that most "non-violent" muslims are still prepared to look the other way whenever bloodthirsty muslims hordes decide to off a few infidels.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Seun(m): 6:22am On Feb 25, 2006
Agreed. They never condemn such actions.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by polypopo(m): 10:57am On Feb 25, 2006
This is barbaric. How does a cartoon that was published in a Danish Newspaper concern Nigerians. This people are drunk with fanaticism. I am sorry for Nigeria and Nigerians. God save us.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by otokx(m): 1:27pm On Feb 25, 2006
s there any thing as non - violent muslim? the death toll is much more than 16; not to talk of the property distruction. i don't advise any southerner especially non - muslim to go up north except for the purpose of NYSC (which you can influence). Most of the NYSC camps are now refugee camps cos the displaced people have moved in there cause the Federal Government moved in Soldiers to Protect the Youth Corpers.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by metridim(m): 10:34am On Feb 26, 2006
Guys let's not leave the substance and pursue the shadow; Cushman and Gl are not the issue here. Whatever they may have said is just an expression of their feelings. The issue here is: should a man engage in a physical fight for his "GOD"  or vice versa. This is a question those that started the cartoon riot should address. If your religion was cajoled, it is left for your "GOD" to prove himself and not you engaging in a pesonal affront. The muslims should learn to be less physical and use their brains.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Fimmy(m): 10:54am On Feb 26, 2006
[i][/i] this wolrd is a small one a place of trouble and passion.i do wonder why people find it hard to believe in faith,THE HOLY PROPHET MOHAMMED (S.A.W) IS THE BEST OF MANKIND.I find it hard to beleive to people are making the best of mankind an object of humilation.Although im really sorry for those that lost there family but i will like to make one thing clear IM NEVER N WILL NEVER BE SORRY FOR WHAT THAT HAPPEN INFACT THE MUSLIMS SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE THAN THAT.CALL WHAT WHAT YOU LIKE BUT,
GL where are u from?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Fimmy(m): 10:55am On Feb 26, 2006
[i][/i] this wolrd is a small one a place of trouble and passion.i do wonder why people find it hard to believe in faith,THE HOLY PROPHET MOHAMMED (S.A.W) IS THE BEST OF MANKIND.I find it hard to beleive to people are making the best of mankind an object of humilation.Although im really sorry for those that lost there family but i will like to make one thing clear IM NEVER N WILL NEVER BE SORRY FOR WHAT THAT HAPPEN INFACT THE MUSLIMS SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE THAN THAT.CALL WHAT WHAT YOU LIKE BUT,
GL where are u from?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by mochafella(m): 11:10am On Feb 26, 2006
Fimmy:

[i][/i] i do wonder why people find it hard to believe in faith,THE HOLY PROPHET MOHAMMED (S.A.W) IS THE BEST OF MANKIND.I find it hard to beleive to people are making the best of mankind an object of humilation. IM NEVER N WILL NEVER BE SORRY FOR WHAT THAT HAPPEN INFACT THE MUSLIMS SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE THAN THAT.

um Fimmy,

let us not forget that not everyone beleives that prophet Mohammad is the best of mankind, and that not everyone beleives in the Islamic faith(religion). Some don't beleive in any faith(religion) at all. Are you saying that those people should be murdered?

Who do you believe created them? Allah I presume, and don't they deserve a chance to repent of their "wrong" ways? Can they repent if they are dead?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by issacboro: 2:27pm On Feb 26, 2006
My brother and sister all over the world enough is enough for this madness by the cycophants called muslims in nigeria all christians in nigeria should take arms and fight this evil to finish and make them understand that we christians can be fanatics too.
If they are fighting for there god we too should fight for our GOD abi no be so.

Is nigeria an islamic state . cool
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by gbadex1(m): 5:07pm On Feb 27, 2006
to the person that said Mohammed was the best, don't be deceived, every man is responsible for his actions. if your irrational muslim brothers up north don't want to take responsible for their actions, don't then come up here telling everyone about Mohammed or something!!!!! that's crap. remember, for ever action there is a consequence, and whether muslims like it or not, the blood of people killed in this senseless and idiotic violent riots of theirs is on their hands.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 27, 2006
Fimmy:

GL where are u from?

of course what else do i expect from an 18 yr old illiterate who is still wet behind the ears. How can u claim to be sorry for the families of those that lost relations in that barbaric onslaught by animals in human skin and yet say u wish they had killed more?
This is not a Mohammed issue since the killers and their victims have never seen the cartoons they were supposedly protesting over. even if they had seen it me does not think those beasts could read in english!
This issue is definitely an issue of the oft dodged national question. This is just cultural, ethnic and social differences only requiring a small spark in the name of cartoons to explode. Why are muslims in the south not killing all their brethren too? Are they reading a different quran or are 'heavenly' virgins also allocated by your geopolitical zone?
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by smiler(f): 11:47am On Mar 30, 2006
sad I
Fimmy:

GL where are u from?

shocked shocked :I am really sad for you my dear fimmy. I pray that one day you will be blown up by a suicide bomber!!! no, better still i pray that your entire family will be blown up by a suicide bomber from one of your muslim brothers or sisters. you know the saying " whoever throws stone in the market should be careful least it falls on one of his own" i would actually want you to be alive to live through burying your entire family, so then you will see how wonderful it could be to lose ones family though senseless violence.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Mariory(m): 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2006
Fimmy:

this wolrd is a small one a place of trouble and passion.i do wonder why people find it hard to believe in faith,THE HOLY PROPHET MOHAMMED (S.A.W) IS THE BEST OF MANKIND.I find it hard to beleive to people are making the best of mankind an object of humilation.Although im really sorry for those that lost there family but i will like to make one thing clear IM NEVER N WILL NEVER BE SORRY FOR WHAT THAT HAPPEN INFACT THE MUSLIMS SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE THAN THAT.CALL WHAT WHAT YOU LIKE BUT,

God willing, you will meet your Mohammed in the after life as soon as possible so that you and him can ride into the sunset. That way, Earth and Nigeria will be left to decent human beings that value life.
Re: 16 Killed In Nigerian Cartoons Riots by Jakumo(m): 7:18pm On Mar 30, 2006
The arrival of Fimmy, Nairaland's very first hard-line Islamic fundamentalist, is a welcome development.  Please Al-Jihadi Fimmy, before we go any further, you must divulge some more details regarding the Seventy Two Virgins that await any muslim who murders a non-muslim civilian.  How in heaven would you find the stamina to service all 72 unless you had the foresight to take a few crates of Viagara along when you shake that old mortal coil ?  Even then, won't your stash just get impounded by customs ?    Finally,  since you seem to support the 9-11 attacks of 2001 by fundamentalist suicide pilots in the US, can we expect to hear of you personally embarking on a glorious suicide matyrdom mission anytime soon ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dapo Abiodun Says Women Will Constitute 40-50% Of His Cabinet / National Convention: Fresh Crisis Hits South West PDP / Timi Frank Urges AGF Malami To Resign Over Invasion Of Justice Odili’s House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.