Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,891 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved (30328 Views)

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me / I Am 20 And My Mom Wants To Throw Me Out. / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 1:00pm On Apr 18, 2022
https://www.nairaland.com/7080619/father-dragging-moms-property-me

Reading all the abuses I got from nairaland, from fellow nairalanders calling me a bastard, ungrateful son all because I was fighting for what was right and not material things.

My mom before she left us, the properties were passed down to her from her parents,(which some they inherited from their Grandparents) she didn't really have to do nothing a full time house wife.. because only the house rents alone she receives from tenants a year from different buildings kept her okay.... some were used for my education, I was made to understand here on nairaland that those properties belong more to my dad, so he can sell it out any way he deem fit... since he married her,. Even though they are ancestral properties.

But, I still don't agree....

So I reported my father to the most senior man in my mother's kindreds, from her father side. I went there on Saturday evening and narrated everything to him...the first thing he said was

YOUR FATHER NOR FIT (in our native language)

He was so angry that he had to call another man and told him everything on the phone, I went back to my house..... and got a call Sunday afternoon to come back around, to my surprise I saw my father there with lots of extended family members and they gave him a stern warning not to try anything funny with those lands.

That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father.

They ask him, if it was financial issue that gave him that thinking, at first he wanted to deny about selling before he admitted it...my father is not poor, a retired nnpc staff receiving his pension steadily.....he just likes having a lot of money to spend anyhow.... and seeing those lands available he thought he could sell them... but the family proved him wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

I haven't called my mother kindreds from my my mother side, still observing.. while we Left the meeting, my dad was cold all through..I know he must have narrated to some of his educated friends..let's see if he will take this to court.

This doesn't have nothing to do with me again, but with my mothers kindreds.

211 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Aonkuuse(m): 1:00pm On Apr 18, 2022
Well that is good, in our family too, we don't sell inherited properties, if you try it, you will go 6ft down.

Prepare for a serious underground battle from your father, especially anything you want that needs his attention but it all for the best.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by KiNg0G: 1:01pm On Apr 18, 2022
Betterstyle,

Opnairaland is filled with the most fustrated and depressed souls of the earth planet. You were carry issue come, make them advice you na I blame.

Your father nor fit carry your mama people go court...
Imagine.

in-law takes wife kindred to court over family inheritance.

It make sense abi, na loosing on arrival... grin grin grin

When family change am for am say that land nor be only your mama own .. he go behave

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Cardealer2021(m): 1:10pm On Apr 18, 2022
I didn't read the long epistle, someone should please help me to summarize embarassed
Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mindlog: 1:10pm On Apr 18, 2022
I still sense your dad is furious for being denied free money.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 1:14pm On Apr 18, 2022
I have been vindicated once again. The kindred only cautioned your father not to sell the property because the kindred's tradition does not permit the selling of such property. But the kindred did not say you have more right than your father over the property.

Your argument was the property is your right. I told you your father owns the property. I said he owns the property despite the fact that his attempt to sell the property is bad. Fools disagreed with me.

Our major argument was about who between you and your father has more right over the property. You claimed you have more rights over the property. Now, your kindred does not support that claim of yours. Your kindred only condemned the idea of selling the property. And I myself also condemned the idea of selling the property.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by ibechris(m): 1:24pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:
https://www.nairaland.com/7080619/father-dragging-moms-property-me

Reading all the abuses I got from nairaland, from fellow nairalanders calling me a bastard, ungrateful son all because I was fighting for what was right and not material things.

My mom before she left us, the properties were passed down to her from her parents,(which some they inherited from their Grandparents) she didn't really have to do nothing a full time house wife.. because only the house rents alone she receives from tenants a year from different buildings kept her okay.... some were used for my education, I was made to understand here on nairaland that those properties belong more to my dad, so he can sell it out any way he deem fit... since he married her,. Even though they are ancestral properties.

But, I still don't agree....

So I reported my father to the most senior man in my mother's kindreds, from her father side. I went there on Saturday evening and narrated everything to him...the first thing he said was

YOUR FATHER NOR FIT (in our native language)

He was so angry that he had to call another man and told him everything on the phone, I went back to my house..... and got a call Sunday afternoon to come back around, to my surprise I saw my father there with lots of extended family members and they gave him a stern warning not to try anything funny with those lands.

That our trybe don't sell family lands, house.. inherited property.. that what even gave him the right to think about doing something like that in law for that matter... while my mom has a son...they even said I as the son can't even sell those lands talkless my father.

They ask him, if it was financial issue that gave him that thinking, at first he wanted to deny about selling before he admitted it...my father is not poor, a retired nnpc staff receiving his pension steadily.....he just likes having a lot of money to spend anyhow.... and seeing those lands available he thought he could sell them... but the family proved him wrong and there's nothing he can do about it.

I haven't called my mother kindreds from my my mother side, still observing.. while we Left the meeting, my dad was cold all through..I know he must have narrated to some of his educated friends..let's see if he will take this to court.

This doesn't have nothing to do with me again, but with my mothers kindreds.

Cc
Lalasticlalai
Seun

Brother,u see this forum is inundated with people whose background is rooted in extreme poverty. Most times when matters like this come up,they just wished why not me hence their reasons for antagonising anyone who comes for advice bothering on money,properties and women.

In fact,anytime u come up here for opinions such as the earlier one,pls listen to few responsible ones and leave those cursed ones to their destiny.

They have nothing soothing or advice to give but haul all kinds of insults at you just to proof to you how they also insult their parents at home.

Thank God u got a solution to this and i am sure mum would be happy up there.

Cheers!

116 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Richy4(m): 1:27pm On Apr 18, 2022
U have succeeded in scaring your dad away from the land... What about you buddy? Have you not also handed them (family members) the right to decide on what happens to your mum's properties? Just asking embarassed.. if you wanna develop it tomorrow will they have a say?

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 1:28pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
I have been vindicated once again. The kindred only cautioned your father not to sell the property because the kindred's tradition does not permit the selling of such property. But the kindred did not say you have more right than your father over the property.

Your argument was the property is your right. I told you your father owns the property. I said he owns the property despite the fact that his attempt to sell the property is bad. Fools disagreed with me.

Do you read at all?
They said I as a son can't even sell those land, talkless my father.

What does that mean to you?

He doesn't own any property there, according to our tradition.
In-law has no right whatsoever to decide his wife inheritance... except the children.

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 1:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:
Do you read at all? They said I as a son can't even sell those land, talkless my father. What does that mean to you?
You are the one who did not read at all. Your argument in your first post is the property belongs to you and not to your father. I said here that the kindred did not say the property belongs to you.

Our major argument was about who between you and your father has more right over the property. You claimed you have more rights over the property. Now, your kindred does not support that claim of yours. Your kindred only condemned the idea of selling the property. And I myself also condemned the idea of selling the property.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 1:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mindlog:
I still sense your dad is furious for being denied free money.
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

I am sensing a second season to this here Saga and it is looking like it is going to be vengeful .... ** readies popcorn ** grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 1:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
Richy4:
U have succeeded in scaring your dad away from the land... What about you buddy? Have you not also handed them (family members) the right to decide on what happens to your mum's properties? Just asking embarassed.. if you wanna develop it tomorrow will they have a say?
Scared you say, keep the abuse coming like the other time.

So I should allow him to sell my mother's ancestral home for cheap cash... just like that. Then tommorow when my children ask me to take them where they are from, I won't have a roof to shoe them.
Funny set of individuals we have on this site.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 1:36pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
You are the one who did not read at all. Your argument in your first post is the property belongs to you and not to your father. I said here that the kindred did not say the property belongs to you.
So tell me where does my first and second post, shows my mother kindreds said the inheritance belongs to my father?
You should have been there yesterday, the shame on his face was there...he wasn't told while he was called before he came to the meeting.
You just be there typing anyhow.. no more response to you .

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 1:37pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:

The Father has no single right over such property. The moment he makes any funny move, the properties will be seized by the woman's family in collaboration with the OP.

These are inhiritance not something built during the course of their marriage. Only a direct offspring like the OP has legitimate claim to theses lands and properties.

Had OP's mother never given birth, the woman's family will repossess those properties.

GraciousGod190 kudos for standing up. May God give you more wisdom.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 1:39pm On Apr 18, 2022
Richy4:
Everyone has his own lands, it will be absurd if they come in the future to drag it with me.. ancestors will hold them.
Customs and traditions varies bro, I don't know where your from.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 1:42pm On Apr 18, 2022
Efewestern:

The Father has no single right over such property. The moment he makes any funny move, the properties will be seized by the woman's family in collaboration with the OP.

These are inhiritance not something built during the course of their marriage. Only a direct offspring like the OP has legitimate claim to theses lands and properties.

Had OP's mother never given birth, the woman's family will repossess those properties.

GraciousGod190 kudos for standing up. May God give you more wisdom.
Oniovo, emo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Richy4(m): 1:47pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Scared you say, keep the abuse coming like the other time.

So I should allow him to sell my mother's ancestral home for cheap cash... just like that. Then tommorow when my children ask me to take them where they are from, I won't have a roof to shoe them.
Funny set of individuals we have on this site.
Abuse Hmmmm!!!
I will suggest u calm down a little and read slowly so that you can understand and comprehend before jumping in to reply...

If you can bring where I abused u in your previous post,.. I Richy will apologize... I challenge u...
But if you cannot provide any prove, then u will do what I ask which is " Reading first, comprehend, before commenting' smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by immortalcrown(m): 1:51pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:
So tell me where does my first and second post, shows my mother kindreds said the inheritance belongs to my father? You should have been there yesterday, the shame on his face was there...he wasn't told while he was called before he came to the meeting. You just be there typing anyhow.. no more response to you .
You said your mother inherited the property from her father. You said your mother's siblings tried but failed to collect the property because your maternal grandfather, before his death, gave your mother the property. So, as long as your father legally married your mother and your mother died, your father owns the property. The only thing that can change it is if your mother legally willed the property to you before her death. Did your mother write a will concerning the property? If yes, who does the will mention as the owner of the property? If no will, your father owns the property. I am not typing anyhow. I am educating you. But I am not forcing the knowledge on you. You have the right to reject the knowledge if you detest the knowledge.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Do you read at all?
They said I as a son can't even sell those land, talkless my father.

What does that mean to you?

He doesn't own any property there, according to our tradition.
In-law has no right whatsoever to decide his wife inheritance... except the children.

It does not change the fact that your father and yourself lawfully owns the properties in question. If he chooses to pursue legally, the disposition of your maternal family will take back seat with respect to the law. He is the surviving partner where a spouse died intestate. If your mother died testate, all this would have been avoided. In a reverse scenario if your mother survived your dad, and your dad left an estate behind, who owns the estates in the absence of a valid will? Answer this and find the answer to your riddle.
Now, to your issue, morally(not legally) it is wrong for your dad to want to sell off the properties not due to a heavy pressing financial/health challenge, but rather for frivolities. Where parents are thinking of how to ensure the security of the future of their kids and grandchildren, he is busy trying to deplete the one he did not even personally plant.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 1:58pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Oniovo, emo

You are even a brother, no wonder you have this fierce spirit.

Don't let anyone bend or blackmail you. You are on the right path and I believe our ancestors are solidly behind you. Never have I seen in our land where an in-law has a say over inherited properties of his wife. It has never happened anywhere.

Such properties are normally passed to her offspring(s). These things are even tabled during the burial of the woman.

Isn't your dad Urhobo too?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 2:00pm On Apr 18, 2022
Efewestern:

You are even a brother, no wonder you have this fierce spirit.

Don't let anyone bend or blackmail you. You are on the right path and I believe our ancestors are solidly behind you. Never have I seen in our land where an in-law has a say over inherited properties of his wife. It has never happened anywhere.

Such properties are normally passed to her offspring(s). These things are even tabled during the burial of the woman.

Isn't your dad Urhobo too?
No bro, if not I won't be here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 2:17pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

No bro, if not I won't be here.

No wonder for the weird behavior. I'm glad your maternal family schooled him.

And stop arguing with these guys that know nothing about customs/traditions and inheritance.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Efewestern: 2:29pm On Apr 18, 2022
princeeze1:

It does not change the fact that your father and yourself lawfully owns the properties in question. If he chooses to pursue legally, the disposition of your maternal family will take back seat with respect to the law. He is the surviving partner where a spouse died intestate. If your mother died testate, all this would have been avoided. In a reverse scenario if your mother survived your dad, and your dad left an estate behind, who owns the estates in the absence of a valid will? Answer this and find the answer to your riddle.
Now, to your issue, morally(not legally) it is wrong for your dad to want to sell off the properties not due to a heavy pressing financial/health challenge, but rather for frivolities. Where parents are thinking of how to ensure the security of the future of their kids and grandchildren, he is busy trying to deplete the one he did not even personally plant.

His father doesn't own a pin. This is an ancestral property and quite different from properties acquired during the course of their marriage. Also, it will be near impossible to trade off such properties because they are generally managed and looked upon by the Ekru (Family) of which OP is a part of. Family properties are not your typical 100*100 piece of land.

The OP's father is no even regarded as a member of that family (in the literal meaning), so how then does he have access to such property?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by bukatyne(f): 3:03pm On Apr 18, 2022
Efewestern:

His father doesn't own a pin. This is an ancestral property and quite different from properties acquired during the course of their marriage. Also, it will be near impossible to trade off such properties because they are generally managed and looked upon by the Ekru (Family) of which OP is a part of. Family properties are not your typical 100*100 piece of land.

The OP's father is no even regarded as a member of that family, how then does he have access to such property?

@bold:

Interesting.

Is this your cultural practice or obtainable for all ancestral land?

4 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mariangeles(f): 3:08pm On Apr 18, 2022
So, what will happen to those lands/properties eventually?
Will you return them to your mother's ancestral home, or will you become part of your mother's family to keep them?
Wouldn't you have to bear your mother's family name to keep them (in the family)?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by KiNg0G: 3:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:
Will you return them to your mother's ancestral home, or will you become part of your mother's family to keep them?
Wouldn't you have to bear your mother's family name to keep them (in the family)?
What a stupid question, sometimes I wonder the kind of people we have on this forum.
So those people who made it through their mother inheritance, disown their father side and take their mother surname just to have access to such inheritance?

Once again, what a stupid question

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Nobody: 3:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
Efewestern:

The OP's father is no even regarded as a member of that family, how then does he have access to such property?

What I stated is an unemotional and unbiased statement of the law. So long the properties belong to her mother legally. It becomes transferable to his father because she died intestate. Carefully read this screenshot to the end. You will see that your customs will not be regarded if it becomes a litigation. It says the law will take preeminence over any customary law. Mind you, I am not in support of his father’s actions, as it’s shameful in itself.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mariangeles(f): 3:18pm On Apr 18, 2022
[s]
KiNg0G:

What a stupid question, sometimes I wonder the kind of people we have on this forum.
So those people who made it through their mother inheritance, disown their father side and take their mother surname just to have access to such inheritance?

Once again, what a stupid question
[/s]

God forbid that I do this with a characterless element like you!

Now flee from me! Flee!!!

4 Likes

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by KiNg0G: 3:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:
[s][/s]

God forbid that I do this with a characterless element like you!

Now flee from me! Flee!!!
You asked a question an insane individual won't ask.
What does that make you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by GraciousGod190: 3:25pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mariangeles:
I think king0g is right madam, this one of the most stupid question have ever come acrossed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Kobojunkie: 3:29pm On Apr 18, 2022
lipsrsealed

Re: My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved by Mariangeles(f): 3:30pm On Apr 18, 2022
GraciousGod190:

I think king0g is right madam, this one of the most stupid question have ever come acrossed.

It is not.

Think about it deeply;
In whose family name are the properties? Your mother's right?
Will you be allowed to pass them down to your children(in your father's name), and your children to their children and so on like that?

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Please I Need People Advice Over This Issue / 20 Things Women Should Never Do! / My Husband Does Not Want Me To Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.