Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,355 members, 7,954,434 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:53 PM

Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa (5327 Views)

Siege To Dasuki’s Home: AGF Appears In Court Today. / Siege To Kashamu’s Residence Within Confines Of The Law – AGF / Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by EzeUche(m): 5:21pm On Jul 07, 2011
Casket-carrying protesters lay siege to Shell facility in Bayelsa

By Samuel Oyadongha, Yenagoa

Activities at the Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC,  Kolo Creek Logistics base,  in the Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa state was disrupted in the early hours of Thursday, when aggrieved natives from its four host communities armed with  a casket lay laid siege to the facility in protest over the alleged insensitivity of the company to their plight.

The protest , mainly by women from Imiringi, Elebele, Otuasega and Oruma communities,  is coming on the heels of the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum reportedly issued to the oil giant.

The aggrieved community folks, who stormed the SPDC facility in the early hours of Thursday, armed with a casket covered with white cloth demanded among others, the implementation of an agreement reached with the company in 1999.

Though the facility was highly fortified with men of the Joint Task Force, stationed at the two entrances into the complex,  the protesting women  however, forced their way through the main gate to register their grievances in a move reminiscence of the ELIMOTU Movement style of agitation some years ago.

According to the protesters, who arrived the facility as early as 6am, Shell had in 1999 agreed to connect their communities to the plant supplying electricity to their facility in the area only to renege on its pledge.

An indigene of Imiringi community, Pastor Ranami Afagha who identified himself as the Vice Chairman of the community said, “I have been part of meetings held between the JTF and our communities in recent times, including Shell. And those meeting were all related to the issues concerning our demand that Shell should implement the agreement it entered into with our people since 1999.

“Even after the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum we issued Shell, there had been steps to avoid open confrontation. Shell is fully aware of what we are here for; the company is just trying to see what we can do. Yes, we are a very peaceful people, but we are also human beings and have that capacity to behave otherwise when situation demands. We are not joking, Shell should honour the 1999 agreement, or else, the company is free to leave our environment for us. They should give us light, water, roads and also ensure that their operation within this environment is safe for us and every other living thing in the ecosystem.”

All attempt to get  a reaction from the SPDC,  at press time, proved abortive .

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/casket-carrying-protesters-lay-siege-to-shell-facility-in-bayelsa/
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by EzeUche(m): 5:22pm On Jul 07, 2011
Is this not where Goodluck is from? Why isn't he helping his kinsmen?
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Chyz2: 5:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
I can only laugh at these people. You are reeping what you sewed. grin
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 07, 2011
Chyz*:

EzeUche:

Is this not where Goodluck is from? Why isn't he helping his kinsmen?

Dumb and dumber!!!

Atleast they are voicing out their anger!! Why are you always so stooopid to sensitive matters. Your state collects oil money doesn't it? SHUT SHUTS SHUT SHUT SHUTS SHUT UP!!!!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 07, 2011
0lumide:

Dumb and dumber!!!

Atleast they are voicing out their anger!! Why are you always so stooopid to sensitive matters. Your state collects oil money doesn't it? SHUT SHUTS SHUT SHUT SHUTS SHUT UP!!!!

Those were the two doofus that said someting about SE/SS union. Mtcheww. SS should beware of these ppl.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Chyz2: 8:15pm On Jul 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Those were the two doofus that said someting about SE/SS union. Mtcheww. SS should beware of these ppl.

I'm from SS and Ezeuche is from SE and we both agree, so that is a SS/SE union, bytch. cool
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 07, 2011
Chyz*:

I'm from SS and Ezeuche is from SE and we both agree, so that is a SS/SE union, bytch. cool

Two Igbo doofus sharing a crumb of bread does not mean two communities are not starving, re-tard.

SS serves a better union with the SW.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 07, 2011
0lumide:

Dumb and dumber!!!

Eventually, they'll decide on which one is the dumb and which one is the dumber when the dumbest (ak47mann) arrives.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by EzeUche(m): 8:20pm On Jul 07, 2011
Chyz*:

Let us not mock these people, because Ogbia is a mixture of Igbo and Ijaw.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by EzeUche(m): 8:21pm On Jul 07, 2011
0lumide:

Dumb and dumber!!!

Was that really needed? Goodluck Jonathan village is Ogbia if you did not know. These are his kinsmen.

Your rush to make a statement, really makes you look like a fool.

And my state has oil.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
EzeUche:

Was that really needed? Goodluck Jonathan village is Ogbia if you did not know. These are his kinsmen.

Your rush to make a statement, really makes you look like a fool.

And my state has oil.

Your state has oil that is yet to contribute shiiit to budget!! Which stupid oil are you yapping about? oil that will cost more to extract hence why your oil is useless?
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Chyz2: 8:32pm On Jul 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Two Igbo doofus sharing a crumb of bread does not mean two communities are not starving, re-tard.

@bolded, Lmao!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by EzeUche(m): 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2011
0lumide:

Your state has oil that is yet to contribute shiiit to budget!! Which silly oil are you yapping about? oil that will cost more to extract hence why your oil is useless?

Abia does not contribute oil?  shocked The way some Nairalanders think.

Let me tell the Ukwa that their oil is not being extracted.

I am tired of people who do not know anything about East of the River Niger yet they yap yap yap.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 07, 2011
EzeUche:

Abia does not contribute oil?  shocked The way some Nairalanders think.

Let me tell the Ukwa that their oil is not being extracted.

I am tired of people who do not know anything about East of the River Niger yet they yap yap yap.

And I'm suppose to know you are from Abia state? Because you sounded like someone who doesn't know shit about the pains they are going through!!!!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by EzeUche(m): 8:57pm On Jul 07, 2011
0lumide:

And I'm suppose to know you are from Abia state? Because you sounded like someone who doesn't know poo about the pains they are going through!!!!

How did you come to that conclusion?  angry

I would not have posted the article if I did not care.

The way you people think. undecided
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 07, 2011
EzeUche:

How did you come to that conclusion?  angry

I would not have posted the article if I did not care.

The way you people think. undecided

No!

Posting an article doesn't mean you care at all, it may be a way to voice out your condescending opinions about people!!

And you didn't rebuke some like this animal below

Chyz*:

And then never rebuked the fool when he said SS/SE union using you as his allibi to prove the hypothetical union in which he is allowed to say rubbish about the same people you claim to care about!!!!

so based on the above, what am I suppose to think? sorry not if you are offended but sincere condolence hahahhahah
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 9:31pm On Jul 07, 2011
So no one sees nothing odd in the fact that villagers are demanding that a company provide them with light, water and roads when there's a local goverment that basically does nothing?

I've said it before and i'll say it again; the problem with the Niger Delta resides in their leaders. I am yet to see ANYTHING done by any local government chairman in any ND state. These people just exist to share and chop money.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by obowunmi(m): 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2011
^^^^ well said. Where are the local leaders ? The among of complacency is quite tragic. Shell is a business and certainly not interested in the well-being of the citizens in the local area. The faster some of you get that in your skull the better.

Why not start a non-profit or an NGO that can support and meet your needs ? Than shouting here and there like the mad wolves you are.  I wish you Nigerians will harass your politicians and political leaders like this.  angry angry angry angry
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 07, 2011
after shell supplies electricity, then they will start supplying diesel to power the generator too. Since when did shell become a local NGO, cheesy
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Tyche(m): 10:21pm On Jul 07, 2011
Will there be any post here that will end up not been tribalised?
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
na real wa o, jonathan don enter one chance, they are really making nigeria ungovernable for the duncehead
he better hand over to ngozi iweala make we hear word 
what u plant, it shall sow 
what u sow, u shall reap 
what u reap, will either make u or kill u
it is killing them and the figure head president 
i laugh hard in bayelsa o, soon i will laugh in boko haram 
ANUMPAM, grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by EvilBrain1(m): 10:45pm On Jul 07, 2011
Why don't they protest in front of their local government? Why don't they take the casket to Timipre Silva's house? Or Goodluck Jonathan's?

I can understand protesting about pollution and gas flaring, but to expect an oil company to do the work of the government is just stu.pid. These people should stop acting silly and start blaming those who are actually responsible for the lack of development in their communities. The politicians.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 07, 2011
i didnt see anything wrong with what the community did/ is doing afterall that was the agreement btwn them and the SHELL. there is nothing like 'why shouldnt they blame the local govt' its none of your bussiness! they are right!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by somze(f): 11:06pm On Jul 07, 2011
texazzpete:

So no one sees nothing odd in the fact that villagers are demanding that a company provide them with light, water and roads when there's a local goverment that basically does nothing?

I've said it before and i'll say it again; the problem with the Niger Delta resides in their leaders. I am yet to see ANYTHING done by any local government chairman in any ND state. These people just exist to share and chop money.
Your hatred for GEJ is fast beclouding your reasoning.

Were Lagos and Abuja developed by LGA Chairmen or even Governors? The bridges in Lagos, the tall buildings, the ports, the airports and everything that makes it the Economic capital; were they developed by LGA Chairmen or Governors?

I think discussions about the Niger Delta is way over your head. Stick to issues you are comfortable with and collect your pay (which is also from the Niger Delta) at the end of the month
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by violent(m): 11:19pm On Jul 07, 2011
somze:

Your hatred for GEJ is fast beclouding your reasoning.

Were Lagos and Abuja developed by LGA Chairmen or even Governors? The bridges in Lagos, the tall buildings, the ports, the airports and everything that makes it the Economic capital; were they developed by LGA Chairmen or Governors?

I think discussions about the Niger Delta is way over your head. Stick to issues you are comfortable with and collect your pay (which is also from the Niger Delta) at the end of the month

This is definitely coming out of your árse, cos something stinks!

Your blind sympathy for GEJ, peharps for tribal reasons has eroded every shroud sense of logical reasoning you might have had!. . . . Lagos was NOT developed by private firms, it's absolutely shameful to expect from private companies, what your government should provide.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

grin grin grin i see,
but remember there are igbos in their mist, and your hatered for igbos can never cease neigther from your children, and a lot of you in your community +awolowo siblings and etc,
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Natasha2(f): 11:28pm On Jul 07, 2011
gosh I wonder if it is the devil himself that controls this shell people they are just toooooooooo wicked I pity those Ogbia people, they should drive them away now that they still have the chance, This is the same thing they did to Oloibiri , there's nothing there , absolutely nothing there, the land is just a waste cry imagine to think that that's where The Country first found her Oil oh I weep for those people Good luck will be a Big fool if he doesn't do anything about it.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by somze(f): 11:30pm On Jul 07, 2011
violent:

This is definitely coming out of your árse, cos something stinks!

Your blind sympathy for GEJ, peharps for tribal reasons has eroded every shroud sense of logical reasoning you might have had!. . . . Lagos was NOT developed by private firms, it's absolutely shameful to expect from private companies, what your government should provide.

Need I even join words with you? Apparently you are the only person in the world that think Oil companies should have no hand in developing their communities. You also miss the fact that all the structures I mentioned in Lagos and Abuja were by the Federal Govt not LGAs. Do your brain a favor and go to bed.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by violent(m): 11:37pm On Jul 07, 2011
somze:

Need I even join words with you? Apparently you are the only person in the world that think Oil companies should have no hand in developing their communities. You also miss the fact that all the structures I mentioned in Lagos and Abuja were by the Federal Govt not LGAs. Do your brain a favor and go to bed.

Oh shut your mouth gutter!

Oil companies should pay taxes and other duties to the government.  As part of a corporate social responsibility, they might pursue initiatives targeted at developing individuals.  Those initiatives could be provision of scholarships for orphans, support for people with terminal disease. . . .etc etc.

Oil companies shouldn't be building bridges or supplying you with electricity, you ídiot, that is the responsibility of your government!!!! 

That asides, if the structures you mentioned were by the federal government and not LGAs, since when did shell became the federal government?, . . .i think you should be the one doing your brain a favour!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by harrychido: 11:39pm On Jul 07, 2011
its a bity,
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by damipaul(m): 11:41pm On Jul 07, 2011
if Shell had indeed entered an agreement with them, it's only honorable for them to fulfill that agreement, that's not say that what they're asking for is justifiable!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 07, 2011
dami_paul:

if Shell had indeed entered an agreement with them, it's only honorable for them to fulfill that agreement, that's not say that what they're asking for is justifiable!
[center]simple[/center]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"If I were Mr. President" :your Advice To GEJ / Electricity: Ghana's Power Crisis Deepens:lesson For Nigeria / What Is United In United Nations UN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.