Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,963 members, 7,838,434 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa (5260 Views)

Siege To Dasuki’s Home: AGF Appears In Court Today. / Siege To Kashamu’s Residence Within Confines Of The Law – AGF / Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by somze(f): 11:47pm On Jul 07, 2011
violent:

Oh shut your mouth gutter!

Oil companies should pay taxes and other duties to the government.  As part of a corporate social responsibility, they might pursue initiatives targeted at developing individuals.  Those initiatives could be provision of scholarships for orphans, support for people with terminal disease. . . .etc etc.

Oil companies shouldn't be building bridges or supplying you with electricity, you ídiot, that is the responsibility of your government!!!! 

That asides, if the structures you mentioned were by the federal government and not LGAs, since when did shell became the federal government?, . . .i think you should be the one doing your brain a favour!
So you define what sort of projects Oil companies are to embark on in an underdeveloped country? How dull are you? Support for people with terminal diseases I'm LMAO. When their business in these communities destroys livelihood, pollutes water and farmland, and is a health risk. You're truly a doofus that is alienated from actual ground experience in the Delta. Please lets discuss something else. I'm done with discussing ND related issue with people that rely on google for source of information.

Meanwhile if you had gone through the comments before hitting your keys, you would have seen that my response was to a Niger Delta brother misrepresenting a complex issue by throwing the blame on LGAs. If blames were to be apportioned LGAs would appear at the lower end of the list. Once again go to bed and save the rest of your brain.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by bolshoi: 11:53pm On Jul 07, 2011
[b][color=#770077]PLEASE CHECK OUT MY SIGNATURE[/color][/b]
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Sicherheit(m): 11:53pm On Jul 07, 2011
First we heard women protested in Lekki, now they are the one protesting again in Bayelsa,
Where are the men? Are they too proud to carry placards?  undecided
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Rhino5dm: 1:40am On Jul 08, 2011
Ironically these are thesame set of people protesting the arrest of Alams when he was busy stealing and stashing the monies for those projects in varoius offshore accounts with the help of mumu-ish GEJ. I guess today is there judgement day!
Kolo-mentally raptured lazy set of sorry creatures will want s-hell to be forking their wives in no distance time.

What have they done to reclaim their rights from those tormenting them? Siddon & look! Go to PH and see Timipreye Silva's house. . .I reckon that house should worth more than what can put down a nice mini power plant with a small hydrosystem.
Next time they should come along with a whole cemetry. Rubbish!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Limaoscar: 7:59am On Jul 08, 2011
Olumide!!, Olumide!!!!  Leave Ezeuchenonsense alone. If you've been around on NL long enough you'll find out He's either fighting from the sidelines about His supposedly superior tribe, or talking Nigeria should split or wanting to win every arguement, He is always right cheesy grin
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by namdo(m): 8:05am On Jul 08, 2011
^^^Ezeuchenonsense, +++ (())+++ = 1. grin cool
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by JahMan1: 8:27am On Jul 08, 2011
Jonathan is from Otuoke,is Otuoke in Ogbia?
Shell promised and reneged.
Likely the men that refused to join in the protest had already collected the promise in cash and so ignored joining the women in the protest.
Shell has stayed in the ND long enough to know this is always the trend.
Nothing can be as annoying as seeing people in your land,siphoning your oil, living as your neighbour with light and all amenities at that,yet you can't afford any.

Yes, their government should be responsible for that,but then it is still part of CSR for Shell to do it.If they can build schools and hospitals,why not provide them the electricity with oil and gas resources tapped from their land?

I weak oo!.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Demdem(m): 8:35am On Jul 08, 2011
If trully Shell went into an agreement with them then its simply honorable to honor such however it isn't Shell's primary responsibility to do such.
These states (ND states) are basically rich states (when compared to other states of the federation) whose inhabitants shouldn't even be poor at all considering the vast amount of resources being given to them monthly. By the time one considers the federal allocation to the state and local governments, the 13% derivation given to them, money given to NDDC to develop these area, even a federal ministry for this region and also not forgetting the local taxes these guys also collect from individuals and even these oil companies etc i see no reason why these guys should be within the poverty cadre. Something is definately wrong with the leadership of this region no doubt and i would love a situation whereby the people will Protest against their leaders more than these oil companies.

I for one, i av been in PH for years now and i honestly cant point one single project my local govt (Obio-Akpor) has ever done (though i admit this is debatable). The bottom line is despite all their allocations, their impact isnt felt and yet they come out on the highway intimidating and harrasing innocent citizens for funds.

ND peeps should hold their leaders much more accountable.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by friedrice1: 9:04am On Jul 08, 2011
I am very sure that Shell must have fulfilled their part of the agreement, The community and local Govt, state leaders should account for the money paid.
this isn't uncommon in the Niger Delta. Corruption brewing amongst Niger Delta leaders is an incurable plague.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by rolchi(m): 10:49am On Jul 08, 2011
Demdem:

If trully Shell went into an agreement with them then its simply honorable to honor such however it isn't Shell's primary responsibility to do such.
These states (ND states) are basically rich states (when compared to other states of the federation) whose inhabitants shouldn't even be poor at all considering the vast amount of resources being given to them monthly. By the time one considers the federal allocation to the state and local governments, the 13% derivation given to them, money given to NDDC to develop these area, even a federal ministry for this region and also not forgetting the local taxes these guys also collect from individuals and even these oil companies etc i see no reason why these guys should be within the poverty cadre. Something is definately wrong with the leadership of this region no doubt and i would love a situation whereby the people will Protest against their leaders more than these oil companies.

I for one, i av been in PH for years now and i honestly cant point one single project my local govt (Obio-Akpor) has ever done (though i admit this is debatable). The bottom line is despite all their allocations, their impact isnt felt and yet they come out on the highway intimidating and harrasing innocent citizens for funds.

ND peeps should hold their leaders much more accountable.

Every Nigerian has the right to discuss the ND, the money they get and all that. But we fail to realise that they live their lives in a difficult terrain! Now, let me paint you some pictures

How many of you have seen a fire mast before? In some of these communities, it is horizontal i.e. you can actually feel the fire. Now, they dry their fish beside this fire even in the raining season. Again, some of these communities are in the riverine where even PHCN cannot extend services because of cost! Building materials are very more expensive because they have to be transported over land. Now, if a bag of cement sells in PHC or Warri for 2K, by the time it goes to these communities, it gets up to 2.6K? Just because of cost of transportation.

While these Nigerians are still as poor as people you find in other parts of Nigeria and they the conditions of where they live makes life more difficult. Again, it is possible that Shell facilities is built on the choice part of the land that may be dry, where do you expect them to farm?

Now to make matters worst, some claim that Shell and other companies pay taxes and government should do the rest. How much of the taxes get to the local government to do the job? FG take 52% while the states share the balance of 48%, How much gets to the LG then? All LGs are not equal. The LGs that are riverine suffer most as to get those infrastructures to those communities cost more. But surprisingly, you find Shell & Other Oil Companies generating power even more that they can consume in those riverine communities, what is wrong if they power the community? and I tell you that the community will even agree to pay a token if only they will have constant power from NOCs? So, in most instances, you find light glowing in a thick bush surrounded by water only at the locations of the NOCs. Friends, it is unfair. This cannot happen in Saudi Arabia. Even in the gulf. Why ND? In most cases, the NOCs generate more than they need.

I live in one of these communities. Even to get drinking water is a challenge. But there is portable water inthese locations, even more than they can consume. NOCs make alot of money. You need to see how to bring in expatriates, pay their wives, pay their girlfriends, dogs, etc. Let them provide for the people of Nigeria. In other countries of the world, they are responsible for the communities. In Nigeria, they take our illiteracy for granted and sell us crap and even our Nigerians begin to support them because we don't know anything.

If they have an agreement, let them fulfil it to the letter. How did Obama treat BP? Find out!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by DaDoctor: 11:29am On Jul 08, 2011
^^STOP THIS TRIBAL WAR^^

@Ileke idi, when u talk of merger or union, GEOGRAPHICAL ATTRIBUTES play a big role too, i am speaking from a GEOGRAPHICAL/DEMOGRAPHIC Point of view!

To me, its still ONE NIGERIA!!! So long as we all would agree to stay in peace!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by topatee: 11:31am On Jul 08, 2011
Shell will provide light, water, good roads, schools, Hospital, so what will local govt provide, what will Sylva provide,
What is the duty of the federal govt, when they are part of the joint venture.
Form the statement from Madam Dieziani, the oil money is share by the joint venture. If Oil companies will provide all of the above what will govt do with thier portion.
I think it will help the assembly member to take home 4 million per seesion, I hear one of them even ask us to revert to COINS, I imagine how he will carry his jumbo pay home.
We are a bunch of people without priorities like Madam Okonji said.
How many times have any community block the state Governors office.
Soon we will ask Oil companies to provide us with wives and children embarassed angry sad shocked
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by DaDoctor: 11:35am On Jul 08, 2011
^^^FROM AN ACTIVIST POINT OF VIEW,,,If they cant meet the agreed upon, Then they should operate without ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION; They surely can but have chosen not too considering the cost, GO TO BRASS AND SEE WHAT THE OIL COY IS DOING THERE, though it is not enough^^

Brothers if you havent been to the creeks you arent fit to criticise this action!!

Just get there, GO TRROUGH BOMADI JUNCTION IN DELTA ,DOWN TO THE BOAMDI WATER WAYS, TELL THE BOAT MAN TO TAKE YOU TO ANY OF THE TOWNS, COME BACK AND GIVE US YOUR EXPERIENCE
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 11:41am On Jul 08, 2011
rolchi:

Every Nigerian has the right to discuss the ND, the money they get and all that. But we fail to realise that they live their lives in a difficult terrain! Now, let me paint you some pictures

How many of you have seen a fire mast before? In some of these communities, it is horizontal i.e. you can actually feel the fire. Now, they dry their fish beside this fire even in the raining season. Again, some of these communities are in the riverine where even PHCN cannot extend services because of cost! Building materials are very more expensive because they have to be transported over land. Now, if a bag of cement sells in PHC or Warri for 2K, by the time it goes to these communities, it gets up to 2.6K? Just because of cost of transportation.

While these Nigerians are still as poor as people you find in other parts of Nigeria and they the conditions of where they live makes life more difficult. Again, it is possible that Shell facilities is built on the choice part of the land that may be dry, where do you expect them to farm?

Now to make matters worst, some claim that Shell and other companies pay taxes and government should do the rest. How much of the taxes get to the local government to do the job? FG take 52% while the states share the balance of  48%, How much gets to the LG then? All LGs are not equal. The LGs that are riverine suffer most as to get those infrastructures to those communities cost more. But surprisingly, you find Shell & Other Oil Companies generating power even more that they can consume in those riverine communities, what is wrong if they power the community? and I tell you that the community will even agree to pay a token if only they will have constant power from NOCs? So, in most instances, you find light glowing in a thick bush surrounded by water only at the locations of the NOCs. Friends, it is unfair. This cannot happen in Saudi Arabia. Even in the gulf. Why ND? In most cases, the NOCs generate more than they need.

I live in one of these communities. Even to get drinking water is a challenge. But there is portable water inthese locations, even more than they can consume. NOCs make alot of money. You need to see how to bring in expatriates, pay their wives, pay their girlfriends, dogs, etc. Let them provide for the people of Nigeria. In other countries of the world, they are responsible for the communities. In Nigeria, they take our illiteracy for granted and sell us crap and even our Nigerians begin to support them because we don't know anything.

If they have an agreement, let them fulfil it to the letter. How did Obama treat BP? Find out!

This kind of slavish mentality is what i killing the Niger Delta. More than enough money gets to the Local Government councils, far more than neccessary to carry out such projects. How did Alams manage to steal over N50 billion? Are you saying N2 billion could not have electrified this community?

Oil companies pay billions in taxes and carry out some other social development duties. Whether you consider that to be enough or not is debatable, but a[b]ny Niger Deltan who does not realize that the State and Local Governments they put in power should be largely accountable for the development of their community is a big mumu and deserves to suffer[/b].

I challenge anyone here from the Niger Delta to show us what his/her local government chairmen have done for their community. It is a shame to see people who do not know their rights, who happily sell their birthright for peanuts. T[b]he same people protesting here are the same cretins who have been rigging their oppressors into power since 1999![/b]

PS: It's worth noting that in all this, no one is willing to show or brandish any signed formal agreement with Shell for power supply.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by rolchi(m): 11:52am On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

This kind of slavish mentality is what i killing the Niger Delta. More than enough money gets to the Local Government councils, far more than neccessary to carry out such projects. How did Alams manage to steal over N50 billion? Are you saying N2 billion could not have electrified this community?

Oil companies pay billions in taxes and carry out some other social development duties. Whether you consider that to be enough or not is debatable, but a[b]ny Niger Deltan who does not realize that the State and Local Governments they put in power should be largely accountable for the development of their community is a big mumu and deserves to suffer[/b].

I challenge anyone here from the Niger Delta to show us what his/her local government chairmen have done for their community. It is a shame to see people who do not know their rights, who happily sell their birthright for peanuts. T[b]he same people protesting here are the same cretins who have been rigging their oppressors into power since 1999![/b]

PS: It's worth noting that in all this, no one is willing to show or brandish any signed formal agreement with Shell for power supply.

Which state are you from and what is the name of your LG? What has your LG done for its people? Are you a Shell rep?

While we hold our people accountable, NOCs should send the excess money in Nigeria, (Big FULL STOP)
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

A honest post from a rational mind!

I admire your objectivity and  realistic perspective. Neither tinted with emotion, nor laden with prejudice.

I look forward to the day we will have a divergent view on issues. It will be worthy, knowing well, that I am having a discourse with a beautiful mind. Unlike intellectual dross,typical of NL!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 12:08pm On Jul 08, 2011
rolchi:

Which state are you from and what is the name of your LG? What has your LG done for its people? Are you a Shell rep?

While we hold our people accountable, NOCs should send the excess money in Nigeria, (Big FULL STOP)

What does this cretin mean by 'excess money'? So you are among the uneducated masses of nigeria who still does not know that over 85% of oil and gas profits go to the federal Government? What, did you village head tell you that the NOCs were carting away 70% of the money? Your oil wealth is being quaffed in your own backyard by the same people that are pointing you to the NOCs. I am merely trying to teach you some common sense and you're here trying to face me.

You cowards cannot hold your government to task yet you're here complaining. I pity you people, years of suffering is ahead. The NOCs can only do so much. You will continue to languish in poverty while your leaders are reclining merrily in financial excess.

I have no concern what my LG has done for its people in my state of origin. I don't live there so it does not affect me in any way.

rolchi:

While we hold our people accountable

LMAO! Even at the height of MEND's activities, no leaders were ever held accountable. At least Boko Haram have the cojones to punish LG chairmen.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by rolchi(m): 12:15pm On Jul 08, 2011
I have no concern what my LG has done for its people in my state of origin. I don't live there so it does not affect me in any way.

Sooooo, you are not a Resident Nigerian? Now, I can see, No need talking with you. Again, you are not a good teacher. If you have the balls, ask Shell to leave,
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by GAR3TH(m): 12:42pm On Jul 08, 2011
And you all wonder why Nigeria is not developed. Because we have people like these protesters across Nigeria.

No offense intended BTW. But why the hell are they not protesting at their government to power their communities.

Why Shell? Because Shell said they were going to give you a GIFT (power) and It didn't happen.

FYI It was a gift, Shell didn't and is NOT required to bring power to communities. That is the responsibility of gov.

BTW if this was in a place like sokoto I would understand but this is Bayelsa!!!!!!!!!!!

Bayelsa only has 3 million people and receives one of the highest allocations from the FG.

In other words, BAYELSA RECEIVES MORE CASH PER CAPITAL THAN ANY OTHER STATE IN NIGERIA AND ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN WEST AFRICA.

Go protest to your state and local government and leave Shell alone.

I still don't understand some Nigerians, You see heavy corruption in front of you but you complain about the guy who's behind you.

HELL THEIR IS NO REASON WHY BAYELSA SHOULD BE THE WAY IT IS.

LAGOS RECEIVES ON SOME OF THE LOWEST AMOUNTS OF FEDERAL ALLOCATIONS IN NIGERIA (PER CAPITAL) AND ITS STILL MILES AHEAD OF MANY NIGER DELTA STATES.

Goes to show you who's really corrupt.

http://www.sparc-nigeria.com/kano.php
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 1:27pm On Jul 08, 2011
rolchi:

Sooooo, you are not a Resident Nigerian? Now, I can see, No need talking with you. Again, you are not a good teacher. If you have the balls, ask Shell to leave,

May God save us from these illiterates. Since when did it become mandatory for every Nigerian to live in his state of origin? In answer to your question, i informed you that I do not live in my state of origin. How did that translate to not living in Nigeria?
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 1:30pm On Jul 08, 2011
GAR3TH:

And you all wonder why Nigeria is not developed. Because we have people like these protesters across Nigeria.

No offense intended BTW. But why the hell are they not protesting at their government to power their communities.

Why Shell? Because Shell said they were going to give you a GIFT (power) and It didn't happen.

FYI It was a gift, Shell didn't and is NOT required to bring power to communities. That is the responsibility of gov.

BTW if this was in a place like sokoto I would understand but this is Bayelsa!!!!!!!!!!!

Bayelsa only has 3 million people and receives one of the highest allocations from the FG.

In other words, BAYELSA RECEIVES MORE CASH PER CAPITAL THAN ANY OTHER STATE IN NIGERIA AND ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN WEST AFRICA.

Go protest to your state and local government and leave Shell alone.

I still don't understand some Nigerians, You see heavy corruption in front of you but you complain about the guy who's behind you.

HELL THEIR IS NO REASON WHY BAYELSA SHOULD BE THE WAY IT IS.

LAGOS RECEIVES ON SOME OF THE LOWEST AMOUNTS OF FEDERAL ALLOCATIONS IN NIGERIA (PER CAPITAL) AND ITS STILL MILES AHEAD OF MANY NIGER DELTA STATES.

Goes to show you who's really corrupt.

http://www.sparc-nigeria.com/kano.php

You're wasting your time. Common sense is an alien concept to these people. They are the same people that lined up in their tens of thousands to welcome Alams back even when it was indisputably proven that Alams had stolen at least 50 billion Naira from the mouths of their children.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Gbenge77(m): 2:45pm On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

You're wasting your time. Common sense is an alien concept to these people. They are the same people that lined up in their tens of thousands to welcome Alams back even when it was indisputably proven that Alams had stolen at least 50 billion Naira from the mouths of their children.
succintly said.
texazzpete:

succintly said.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by cvibe: 4:41pm On Jul 08, 2011
Well
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by rolchi(m): 4:47pm On Jul 08, 2011
texazzpete:

May God save us from these illiterates. Since when did it become mandatory for every Nigerian to live in his state of origin? In answer to your question, i informed you that I do not live in my state of origin. How did that translate to not living in Nigeria?

Sorry, my very learned friend! You live in Nigeria but not in your state of Origin as implied. So, you are close enough "not" to know what is happening in your LG of origin, good!

Again, if Shell is upright, let them threaten to leave BAYELSA! Let them close shop in Ogbia and leave! It is simple. They are free to remove all their investments in Ogbia Land. They can even sell the fields to the Chinese in Ogbia Land. This is common sense, the host community makes life difficult for me, I will leave.

Afterall, there are other communities in the ND with oil that wants Shell. For your information, Shell has been out of Ogoni Land since the time of Ken Saro-Wiwa and till date, Shell (to my knowledge) is doing everything humanly and spiritually possible to return to Ogoni Land, Make dem enter na, dem no dey fear.

I remain your illiterate friend!
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Demdem(m): 4:47pm On Jul 08, 2011
rolchi:

Now to make matters worst, some claim that Shell and other companies pay taxes and government should do the rest. How much of the taxes get to the local government to do the job? FG take 52% while the states share the balance of  48%, How much gets to the LG then? All LGs are not equal. The LGs that are riverine suffer most as to get those infrastructures to those communities cost more. But surprisingly, you find Shell & Other Oil Companies generating power even more that they can consume in those riverine communities, what is wrong if they power the community? and I tell you that the community will even agree to pay a token if only they will have constant power from NOCs? So, in most instances, you find light glowing in a thick bush surrounded by water only at the locations of the NOCs. Friends, it is unfair. This cannot happen in Saudi Arabia. Even in the gulf. Why ND? In most cases, the NOCs generate more than they need.

look, there is nothing you av written up there that is new to me. You are unnecessary bringing up sentiments here. The bottom line is the kind of waste being experienced here in the ND cant be compared to anywhere again in this nation. a fraction of such waste by these crooks (politicians) called govt of ND is enough to transform the lives of the people. i know what i am saying. i said earlier that i have been living here for years and also visited quite a number of communities and i honestly know the challenges these lovely people face daily. Bayelsa for instance has a population of about 3million people and one of the highest paid state by the FG yet the vast population is in abject poverty, can you simply explain why this is so?
Companies have social responsibilities, i agree but these companies arent your government. You have to understand this.

I personally was oppurtuned to go to bayelsa of recent and somehow stumbled into the compound (heavily guarded by his boys and MOPOL) of one of the former warlords whom i was told came from the president village and i was amazed with the kind of vehicles i saw in this compound, 3 Hummer3, 1 Hummer2, Benz Jeep and Fords of all kinds etc. it was as if the guy's house was a vehicle depot and i begin to wonder what exactly these guys where fighting for initially. i dont need anyone to tell me that the funds to acquire these exotic vehicles somhow trickled down from Abuja.

The people should channel most (not all) of their efforts to the real criminals of these zones who to me are the politicians, the boys (ex-militants) and unfortunately the traditional rulers.

i am also for resource control and the cry of these people for 50% or more derivation honestly is legitimate but eh all i want them to do is to justify the little (13% and more) being given. If and only if this can be done you will see if i wont join the bandwagon.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Ibime(m): 5:32pm On Jul 08, 2011
There's nothing objective or realistic about the crap Texazzpete is spewing here. Our communities have been kind enough to provide his like with a living at our own detriment, yet he is quick to dismiss our communities as deserving of the treatment they receive.

His argument about communities holding their LGA and State Government is a Nationwide argument. Roichi made a salient and valid point by asking him what his own LGA in Edo State had contributed to his community.

Nobody is absolving Niger Delta leaders of corruption. They are as corrupt as the system allows. In rebuttal to his point, the answer simply is that the Federal Government's lax attitude to corruption is wholly responsible for misuse of public funds. Why should the poor community be blamed for their leaders ineptitude when those with jurisdiction over their leaders (Federal Government, EFCC) are not interested in ensuring that their leaders are accountable.

The Niger Delta is just a microcosm of Nigeria. Where we start, the rest of Nigeria will inevitably follow. Every part of the country is now agitating, kidnapping, blowing up bombs etc. When we started, they said those lazy fishermen have come again. We are simply a leading indicator of social degredation in Naija. Those who say "Niger Delta deserve their leaders" are the same ones who said "Niger Delta only know how to kidnap". Now ask them whether kidnapping hasn't assumed even greater dimensions in each of their respective localities.

As for those saying that oil coys do not strike deals with local communities, they are not privvy to what happens on ground. Ask any King or local chief how many deals are struck with oil coys or how much remittance is paid to the King monthly. Long before PIB was mooted, oil coys have been paying each and every Amanyanabo in whichever Kingdom they operate. It is an admission of mea culpa that the initial deals struck with the Government in the 1950s were completely to the detriment of the local people who bare the brunt of oil exploration on the Nations behalf.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by rolchi(m): 6:05pm On Jul 08, 2011
Demdem:

look, there is nothing you av written up there that is new to me. You are unnecessary bringing up sentiments here. The bottom line is the kind of waste being experienced here in the ND cant be compared to anywhere again in this nation. a fraction of such waste by these crooks (politicians) called govt of ND is enough to transform the lives of the people. i know what i am saying. i said earlier that i have been living here for years and also visited quite a number of communities and i honestly know the challenges these lovely people face daily. Bayelsa for instance has a population of about 3million people and one of the highest paid state by the FG yet the vast population is in abject poverty, can you simply explain why this is so?
Companies have social responsibilities, i agree but these companies arent your government. You have to understand this.

I personally was oppurtuned to go to bayelsa of recent and somehow stumbled into the compound (heavily guarded by his boys and MOPOL) of one of the former warlords whom i was told came from the president village and i was amazed with the kind of vehicles i saw in this compound, 3 Hummer3, 1 Hummer2, Benz Jeep and Fords of all kinds etc. it was as if the guy's house was a vehicle depot and i begin to wonder what exactly these guys where fighting for initially. i dont need anyone to tell me that the funds to acquire these exotic vehicles somhow trickled down from Abuja.

The people should channel most (not all) of their efforts to the real criminals of these zones who to me are the politicians, the boys (ex-militants) and unfortunately the traditional rulers.

i am also for resource control and the cry of these people for 50% or more derivation honestly is legitimate but eh all i want them to do is to justify the little (13% and more) being given. If and only if this can be done you will see if i wont join the bandwagon.

Yes, it is sentiments. I am never saying that our leaders should not be held accountable. But, good friends, it takes so much to build a road in the ND. Like you said you visited Bayelsa State, how much do you think it costs to build that road from Mbiama junction to Yenagoa? Just to give you an idea, imagine that those houses by the left and right of those house are almost under the road. It means that the road was sand-filled to that height! You only visited Yenagoa but have you taken time to visit the villages off Yenagoa? How much does it cost to travel on Speed Boat for a journey of an Hour compare that with the cost of traveling from PHC to YNG.

I agree that our leaders are corrupt, but it is a Nigerian Problem and not a ND Problem. Or how else do you explain Ogun State, Oyo State, Zamfara State, Kogi State and all the rest where their erstwhile governors are undergoing trials for corruption.

Now, the people do not know the NASS or the FG, they know and see Shell and Shell sees and knows the FG. Let Shell task the FG to bring light to the people, simple clinics to these people and portable water to the people.

Again, I tell you, come, live with us here in the bush, in the very creeks, stay with us for a week, a month or even up to six months and your understanding of these place, ND will be broadened.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by dayokanu(m): 7:06pm On Jul 08, 2011
Shel is compelled to pay taxes to the govt,

What does Govt do with the taxes shell pays?

Should Shell stop paying govt and pay the host community directly?

Dont they know the way to Sylvas House? or Odechukwus house? If the 50b stolen by Alams has been spent on the communities they would have less worries.

Yet they voted and have been voting PDP since 1999, Enjoy your own fresh Air
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Solozzo(m): 2:19am On Jul 09, 2011
Let's not miss the point. The key issue is that an agreement has been reached b/w the community and shell who agreed to provide electricity for them. If this us not possible a clear explanation and alternative needs to be provided. On a wider dimension, the oil companies has an ethical duty to provide supports for the communities whose environs are being damaged by their activities. A direct approach of providing these services is better than passing the money via local or state govts who would divert it elsewhere.

Shell pls honor your promise to these poor people!!! Their electricity consumption is so minimal.

Shell It cost you nothing to show respect for communities and foster a harmony. After all so many rich individuals are doing a lot to help the poor.

In my community in isoko, shell provides water and pays our electricity bills as part of the support for he poor, and this has improved our relationship with the company.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by becomrichv: 2:24am On Jul 09, 2011
there are about 8 oil well on land in bayelsa state and 20 wells on land in rivers state. no well in akwa ibom on land. and 1 well in imo state. abia have zero
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Oscillation(m): 11:00am On Jul 09, 2011
@ natasha what caused your inactivity, am pondering if its your result. Not so much damage has been done age is with you so prepare for the next one.
@  topic. if that's the agreement they should go ahead to accomplish it and not leverage their incapacitance on shrewd government officials to buttress their unclairvoyance. undecided undecided
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 11:19am On Jul 09, 2011
Solozzo:

Let's not miss the point. The key issue is that an agreement has been reached b/w the community and shell who agreed to provide electricity for them. If this us not possible a clear explanation and alternative needs to be provided. On a wider dimension, the oil companies has an ethical duty to provide supports for the communities whose environs are being damaged by their activities. A direct approach of providing these services is better than passing the money via local or state govts who would divert it elsewhere.

Shell pls honor your promise to these poor people!!! Their electricity consumption is so minimal.

Shell It cost you nothing to show respect for communities and foster a harmony. After all so many rich individuals are doing a lot to help the poor.

In my community in isoko, shell provides water and pays our electricity bills as part of the support for he poor, and this has improved our relationship with the company.

In all this, no written agreement has been tendered. What is your proof or guarantee that an agreement was reached?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pres Jonathan Booed In Bayelsa Rally.. / Onesided Lagos Now Trending (pics) / I Criticised Jonathan Nothing Happened, I Criticised Buhari & I Get Death Threat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.