Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,998 members, 7,838,511 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway (14370 Views)

Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? / State Of Railway During Buhari's Time - / Prophet To Fashola: Re-open Yaba Railway Market Or Lose Your Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by agitator: 1:49pm On Jul 08, 2011
johnie:

Here's a post on that thread by by Rabzy on May 26, 2011, 11:09 AM. (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-674926.128.html#msg8396198) and I agree with him
----------------------------------

This is bad rep for Lagos, though the problem is caused by gripping poverty in the Hinterlands. At least from the video the guys acknowledged that they are better-off here than where they came from, they could eke out a living here, whereas in their hometown there was virtually little they could do

As per the people selling on the railway and expressway, when accidents happen and a mad trailer driver crushes people to death there, it is the government that gets the blame for allowing them. And when you arrange for some to leave maybe provide a place for them to sell, others promptly take over the space. Most times the government gives warning, but the warnings are not heeded.

Immediately the KAI officials leave, you see people setting up their kiosks again. There are several places where the government erected barricades (e.g oshodi) and barb wires to prevent people from crossing the highway, but people pull down these barriers and risk their lives.

Its a complex situation and the solution is not just straight-forward, it would take time, people would have to be educated and be re-oriented, the economy needs to grow, light has to be stable, and we wont solve all the same year.
For me since the mid-sixties, we have hardly had a government and now we are just learning how to vote, who to vote for, how to make a constitution, how to prosecute people etc. The finished product is still some decades away and in fact the product is never finished, there should always be a 'new improved ariel' in the way we do things, at least some state governments have started doing some things, eventually maybe later mediocres would even be scared to present themselves or forced to perform.

Thank you my brother
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by oputaemma: 2:09pm On Jul 08, 2011
these railway stuff look old fashioned
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by nateevs(m): 2:24pm On Jul 08, 2011
agitator:

Your points are very clear wink wink wink never mind me with my unclear points
There is a difference between criticizing somebody to take action and just plan saying he is stuopid.
What you people have been hammering is that things are not being done because the president is stuopid.  Anything that happens now is GEJ.

And what you have been doing is jumping on the defence train without critically investigating if the opposition is presenting valid points. According to you, I said he is st.upi.d. Can you point out anywhere in my posts where I have stated that?

Any can you please provide valid solutions to these problems since you said everything I said is rubbish? I am waiting!.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by EkoIle1: 2:42pm On Jul 08, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Yes they do; the women are not selling on the tracks I hope you know, they are selling beside the tracks which belongs to the local authorities.

Please stop talking rubbish, you are not a baby. The rail line belongs to the federal government and it's theirs to manage and police for safety and maximum efficiency.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by EkoIle1: 2:48pm On Jul 08, 2011
agitator:

Your points are very clear wink wink wink never mind me with my unclear points

There is a difference between criticizing somebody to take action and just plan saying he is stuopid.

What you people have been hammering is that things are not being done because the president is stuopid.  Anything that happens now is GEJ.

Instead of the needless merry go round, why don't you just come out and tell us the place does not belong to the federal government and it's not the job of the federal government to police their own property.

This is one of the many reasons why Nigeria is so messed up, lack of accountability and ignorant citizens making excuses for the federal government's incompetency and dereliction.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by nateevs(m): 2:52pm On Jul 08, 2011
johnie:

Here's a post on that thread by by Rabzy on May 26, 2011, 11:09 AM. (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-674926.128.html#msg8396198) and  I agree with him
----------------------------------

This is bad rep for Lagos, though the problem is caused by gripping poverty in the Hinterlands. At least from the video the guys acknowledged that they are better-off here than where they came from, they could eke out a living here, whereas in their hometown there was virtually little they could do

As per the people selling on the railway and expressway, when accidents happen and a mad trailer driver crushes people to death there, it is the government that gets the blame for allowing them. And when you arrange for some to leave maybe provide a place for them to sell, others promptly take over the space. Most times the government gives warning, but the warnings are not heeded.

Immediately the KAI officials leave, you see people setting up their kiosks again. There are several places where the government erected barricades (e.g oshodi) and barb wires to prevent people from crossing the highway, but people pull down these barriers and risk their lives.

Its a complex situation and the solution is not just straight-forward, it would take time, people would have to be educated and be re-oriented, the economy needs to grow, light has to be stable, and we wont solve all the same year.
For me since the mid-sixties, we have hardly had a government and now we are just learning how to vote, who to vote for, how to make a constitution, how to prosecute people etc. The finished product is still some decades away and in fact the product is never finished, there should always be a 'new improved ariel' in the way we do things, at least some state governments have started doing some things, eventually maybe later mediocres would even be scared to present themselves or forced to perform.

Getting people to steer clear off the railways and motorways is not a complex problem my brother. The only problem we have is the lack of political will. The people in charge don't know how. If they don't know, let them consult people who do.

Why do people always return? It's because they can. What do you do? Make the terrain unfriendly. Lay spikes, concrete stones on the surface. For instance, along Osodi - Bolade area, construct a concrete slab which begins 2 feet from the road kerb and spans the entire space up to the railway barrier. However with a sitting surface at 75 degrees across the entire space the people always return to. If you attempt to climb on it, you will slip and fall. If buyers cannot come to you, you won't sell there. Simple.

___12-foot Concrete Barrier
                                      /     l
                                     /      l
                                    /       l
                                   /        l
         Road                  /          l           Railway
------------------------/          l    _______________

The above figure resembles what I am thinking. How can people sell on this? You don't even need police presence to deter people. The terrain is unfriendly and it polices itself. And this is just off the top of my head. Without sitting to think about the problem. And I am not even a construction engineer. You have millions of people in the country who can think about even better ideas and you tell me the problems have been there since 1960 so they can't solve them . . . Bullsh.i.t.

If there is a will to work, it won't take more than two months to erect this along that road and drive people away. What complex solution. Do away with mediocrity man.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by Johnnymoh: 3:06pm On Jul 08, 2011
This issue does not call for arguement and accusation of people and the goverment of the day. Government will always make rules but it is left for the people to keep to the rules in order to be safe. If you blame Lagos or Federal Govt for allowing people to sell by the rail line, who takes the blame for those in places like Kaduna, Zaria and others , even outside Nigeria(India). I was in a market in Kaduna one day when everybody was rushing to carry his/her goods from the rail line when a train was coming. It is the attitude of our people. We have this mentally of getting forced to get things done hence the damages we suffer everyday. Take for example, the recent issue of collapse bdg in Lagos, I read an account that people were asked to evacuate that building 3 years ago but they refused, now what has happened to them? When we talk about govt enforcing the law, most of the time when the law is enforced we condemn the govt of the day of being wicked and anti-people. We must be very careful the way we make comments ignorantly on this forum. People shd learn to be reasonable. GEJ will nt have any headache when train destroy people on the rail track, therefore Nigerians should consider their safety.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by agitator: 3:08pm On Jul 08, 2011
nateevs:

Getting people to steer clear off the railways and motorways is not a complex problem my brother. The only problem we have is the lack of political will. The people in charge don't know how. If they don't know, let them consult people who do.

Why do people always return? It's because they can. What do you do? Make the terrain unfriendly. Lay spikes, concrete stones on the surface. For instance, along Osodi - Bolade area, construct a concrete slab which begins 2 feet from the road kerb and spans the entire space up to the railway barrier. However with a sitting surface at 75 degrees across the entire space the people always return to. If you attempt to climb on it, you will slip and fall. If buyers cannot come to you, you won't sell there. Simple.

___12-foot Concrete Barrier
                                      /     l
                                     /      l
                                    /       l
                                   /        l
         Road                  /          l           Railway
------------------------/          l    _______________

The above figure resembles what I am thinking. How can people sell on this? You don't even need police presence to deter people. The terrain is unfriendly and it polices itself. And this is just off the top of my head. Without sitting to think about the problem. And I am not even a construction engineer. You have millions of people in the country who can think about even better ideas and you tell me the problems have been there since 1960 so they can't solve them . . . Bullsh.i.t.

If there is a will to work, it won't take more than two months to erect this along that road and drive people away. What complex solution. Do away with mediocrity man.

Thank you, this is what i meant by constructive criticism. In the advanced countries things like these are what people do and also the press will continue to highlight these problems until the government is forced to take action.

Not when one politician pays the press and they start to talk rubbish about the leadership put them there they will equally fail.

How many people have resigned their appointments in protest because of their disagreement with a government anti-people policy?

They all keep quiet and enjoy but once they are kicked out they automatically regain their voices and the mass are gullible to accept their utterances.

Their excuse is nobody can change Nigeria blah, blah. A woman Dora did it with NAFDAC fighting against fake drugs even though she later joined the camp.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by brainpulse: 3:16pm On Jul 08, 2011
I PERSONALLY DON'T SEE A WAY FOR A CHANGE OR FRESH FART HEAR.

WITH GEJ RECYLING THE SAME MINISTERS THAT MADE NO CHANGE IN THE PAST YEARS IS BAD, BAD AND BAD.

LOOK AT APAPA-OSHODI ROUTE AND ALL OTHER ROADS IN THE COUNTRY IT IS VERY BAD AND YET WE SAY WE HAD MINISTER FOR WORKS AND THE SAME PEOPLE ARE COMING BACK AGAIN.

"IF YOU HAVE A VISION FOR CHANGE. IT DOESN'T TAKE ONLY MOTION, BUT DIRECTION TO THE RIGHT DESTINATION"BOD

THE POST IS SUPPOSE TO BE (ANY CHANGE WITH GEJ RECYLING MINISTERS?).

THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE HEAD.

PLS READ BOOKS ON LEADERSHIP, PRINCIPLE OF HERACHY ETC. PLS AND PLS THE WHOLE BULK GOES TO THE HEAD.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by brainpulse: 3:20pm On Jul 08, 2011
@ ALIGATOR

WHO WILL AWARD THAT CONTRACT? WHO WILL EXECUTE IT?

THEY WILL AWARD THE CONTRACT TO THEMSELVES AND DO NOTHING. YOU ARE WRITING OR THINKING AS IF YOU LIVE IN NIGERIA SPACE, NOT ON NIGERIA LAND.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by brainpulse: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2011
@ ALIGATOR-SORRY I MEAN TO SAY AMAGATOR, NO ASEEGATOR, OR APLIGATOR. WOOO GATOR SHA

WHO WILL AWARD THAT CONTRACT? WHO WILL EXECUTE IT?

THEY WILL AWARD THE CONTRACT TO THEMSELVES AND DO NOTHING. YOU ARE WRITING OR THINKING AS IF YOU LIVE IN NIGERIA SPACE, NOT ON NIGERIA LAND
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by ZUBBYNWA(m): 4:24pm On Jul 08, 2011
what of people that are selling and buying on the railways; risking their life for no cause, It is mandatory to sell at railways? No other places or markets to do the exchange of goods and services? let us be reasonable and known the meaningfully of our life.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by cvibe: 5:05pm On Jul 08, 2011
People have been selling on railway lines as far back as i can remember
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by deasy(m): 5:20pm On Jul 08, 2011
that's bad there is no difference with oshodi railway before it was rehabilitated your gov should solve that,i mean you need a good governor in order to save people's life on the rail.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by armyofone(m): 6:03pm On Jul 08, 2011
why are pple in nigeria turning every little corner to a place to buy and sell? there should be shops like they have in western world.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by ideylaff: 6:35pm On Jul 08, 2011
Your points are very clear never mind me with my unclear points

What you people have been hammering is that things are not being done because the president is stuopid. Anything that happens now is GEJ.

Yes he is STUPID Raised to the power 1000,

I can say he his if he can have a Special Adviser for Special Duties, and also one for Gender Affairs,

Whats the gender one doing, wearing his pant 4 him or supplying him with ashewos after their Pepper Souping in Aso Rock late at night
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by EkoIle1: 6:52pm On Jul 08, 2011
agitator:

Thank you, this is what i meant by constructive criticism. In the advanced countries things like these are what people do and also the press will continue to highlight these problems until the government is forced to take action.

Not when one politician pays the press and they start to talk rubbish about the leadership put them there they will equally fail.

How many people have resigned their appointments in protest because of their disagreement with a government anti-people policy?

They all keep quiet and enjoy but once they are kicked out they automatically regain their voices and the mass are gullible to accept their utterances.

Their excuse is nobody can change Nigeria blah, blah. A woman Dora did it with NAFDAC fighting against fake drugs even though she later joined the camp.

Your understanding of the same advanced countries you just reference sounds very warped simply because in advanced countries, they know all about responsibility and accountability. Criticisms has nothing to do with who is responsible for the railway system, the question is who's obligation it is to maintain safety and security along the rail lines?

It's either you agree or disagree that it's the federal government or the local authorities.

But listening to you saying nobody can change Nigeria clearly explains your self defeatist attitude and mentality, I bet the same incompetent people managing the rail system reason just like you, you just thrown your hands in the air and say forget instead of doing your job.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by werepeLeri: 6:54pm On Jul 08, 2011
A picture of Oshodi taken in the year 1999 or even 2000 maybe. Is that how this same place looks now?

People just talk out of ignorance. The whole place is cleared and people dont sell on the railways lines anymore. Abeg. Say something new.

You need to come back to Nigeria and see things for yourself rather than twisting issues and stories to your own advantage. We all knew the praise Fashola got when he sent these people parking from Oshodi and hence the railway lines.

And beside, which railway line run from Lagos to Ibadan? Lies upon lies.

The pictures here says better.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/08/11/lagos-the-old-and-new-oshodi-rail-line/
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by EkoIle1: 7:04pm On Jul 08, 2011
The OP as usual displayed his deceptive and 419 skills. The article was published in the Punch Newspaper and it not only did not say anything about Lagos-Ibadan, it's actually Aba, Umuahia and Enugu

NRC orders traders to remove structures on rail lines

The Nigeria Railway Corporation has warned traders in Aba, Umuahia and Enugu to remove all illegal structures on rail lines to allow contractors begin rehabilitation of the tracks.

NRC Eastern Regional District Manager, Mr. Paul Ndibe, gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Enugu on Wednesday.

Ndibe also warned residents against dumping refuse on rail tracks as well as stealing of railway materials, vowing that anyone caught would be prosecuted.

He said the obstructions , if not tackled promptly, could delay the rehabilitation of the tracks ordered recently by the Federal Government.

The Regional District Manager said that the Turkish firm handling the rehabilitation project would commence work in a few weeks.

Ndibe said that the project would cover the Port Harcourt-Aba-Enugu-Oturkpo-Makurdi rail route.

He also said the firm had 10 months to complete the project and appealed to Nigerians to exercise patience with the corporation in its efforts to revive the railways.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jul/7/850.html

You can't even trust Nigerians for anything. Must everything be lies and 419?
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by werepeLeri: 7:08pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 08, 2011
here is an interesing thread, I just started on Nigerian history:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.0.html

I am looking for for more tv news footage, please help  smiley
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by EkoIle1: 7:28pm On Jul 08, 2011
werepeLeri:

Thanks for that, the rubbish the OP posted is in Aba, Umuahia and Enugu
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by medocity(m): 7:38pm On Jul 08, 2011
To the poster and everyone who one way or the other that have commented on this topic, i will say job well-done but who is to be blamed for all this, Is it the president, the minister of transport or The Lagos State government, The commissioner for transport in Lagos State, This don't is absurd, Whoever have been to this particular spot in the picture displayed above, you will forever ask GOD why?most especially on the so called market day everywhere will be filled to maximum to the extent that passersby will have to be careful of not being accused of stepping on displayed products, have being there!!! t was a terrible. Not even a single space for the oncoming or ongoing Train not to talk of a single inch space for passersby, think our leaders need to do something about this embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by werepeLeri: 7:41pm On Jul 08, 2011
medocity:

To the poster and everyone who one way or the other that have commented on this topic, i will say job well-done but who is to be blamed for all this, Is it the president, the minister of transport or The Lagos State government, The commissioner for transport in Lagos State, This don't is absurd, Whoever have been to this particular spot in the picture displayed above,  you will forever ask GOD why?most especially on the so called market day everywhere will be filled to maximum to the extent that passersby will have to be careful of not being accused of stepping on displayed products,  have being there!!! t was a terrible. Not even a single space for the oncoming or ongoing Train not to talk of a single inch space for passersby,  think our leaders need to do something about this embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Dont move us back.

The point has been made that that was in the past. Visit those places these days to see the difference for yourself. I guess it is GEJ who builds those structures near the railway lines.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by EkoIle1: 8:00pm On Jul 08, 2011
werepeLeri:

Dont move us back.

The point has been made that that was in the past. Visit those places these days to see the difference for yourself.
I guess it is GEJ who builds those structures near the railway lines.

But the place in question has nothing to do with Oshodi and according to the original article which the OP conveniently and intentionally bungled, areas in question are in Aba, Umuahia and Enugu.

This is a new story and it was published just a few days ago.

About responsibility, GEJ is of course responsible. He pick and appointed his own ministers including the transport minister who's job it is to oversee the rail system in Nigeria and any failure on his part is a reflection on GEJ. GEJ subjected the transportation minister on Nigerians, not the other way around. If the men you picked to serve Nigerians are not doing their job, it's up to the GEJ so do something about it, but such is a rarity in Nigeria, even as displayed in this thread, some will look the other way and blame everything on poor Nigerians, never the people we pay and tasked to serve and protect us.

The buck stops with the president.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by warrior01: 8:22pm On Jul 08, 2011
But the place in question has nothing to do with Oshodi and according to the original article which the OP conveniently and intentionally bungled, areas in question are in Aba, Umuahia and Enugu.

This is a new story and it was published just a few days ago.

About responsibility, GEJ is of course responsible. He pick and appointed his own ministers including the transport minister who's job it is to oversee the rail system in Nigeria and any failure on his part is a reflection on GEJ. GEJ subjected the transportation minister on Nigerians, not the other way around. If the men you picked to serve Nigerians are not doing their job, it's up to the GEJ so do something about it, but such is a rarity in Nigeria, even as displayed in this thread, some will look the other way and blame everything on poor Nigerians, never the people we pay and tasked to serve and protect us.

The buck stops with the president.

I don't know why you like deceiving yourself. Probably you don't reside in Lagos with all these your lies about people not selling on railway tracks in Oshodi. Have you even heard about Ikeja Along railway market where traders are having a free day selling on the tracks both day and night. How about Agege and the rest
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by EkoIle1: 8:35pm On Jul 08, 2011
warrior01:

I don't know why you like deceiving yourself. Probably you don't reside in Lagos with all these your lies about people not selling on railway tracks in Oshodi. Have you even heard about Ikeja Along railway market where traders are having a free day selling on the tracks both day and night. How about Agege and the rest

1. We are not talking about oshodi

2. The article in question did not say anything about oshodi

3 The place in question as stated in the article is Aba, umuahia and enugu.

4. Stay focused, read the article and follow the discussion
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by erelueko(f): 8:40pm On Jul 08, 2011
eko rail in view!

Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by warrior01: 10:37pm On Jul 08, 2011
Guy, stop twisting facts. whether it is Aba, Enugu Agege or Kafanchan, the fact is that it is a general problem all over the country and don't try to exempt Lagos cos that is being hypocritical. Still wondering why you are blaming GEJ while the local authorities fully backed by Acn govt in Lagos are busy selling tickets to all these traders thereby encouraging them to continue to endanger their lives. The problem is not the Federal govt cos they don't have the exclusive right to safeguard the lives of the citizenry but the local authorities who are nearer to these people and can be in the best position to stop this menace.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by POTUT(m): 10:49pm On Jul 08, 2011
On every busy road in Nigeria, with lots of traffic and traffic jams, there are school-aged boys and girls and family-aged men and women selling all sorts of merchandize. You have to literarily steer your car away from them in order not to knock them over.

Is the above the Minister/Commissioner of Transport's duty to clear those hawkers off the highways?

The picture is a reflection of a Nigeria drowning in its own woes.

The only reason none of you is sitting an inch away from those rail tracks right now is because you can afford internet, and there is no internet service on the rail tracks, so you go to your cosy homes to type away.

Nigeria's cancer was practically diagnosed in 1966, and we have two more years to live(I read that somewhere written by a small committee in the US Army).
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by Tyche(m): 10:59pm On Jul 08, 2011
this one no be news.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by redsun(m): 11:44pm On Jul 08, 2011
What does it take to put wares on stands in nigeria?Simply and well constructed bamboo structures can make a durable stand for a poor african seller.

And what does it take to clean up the surroundings where goods are exchanged,food.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan / About 87 People Enter Lagos Per Hour On Daily Basis ―commissioner / Imo Bye-Election: 100 INEC Staff Abducted, Forced To Thumbprint – REC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.