Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,260 members, 7,811,728 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." (911 Views)

APC, Tinubu, Shettima's legal team To Expel Members Who Speak To The Media / Chimamanda Becomes First African To Speak At Yale’s Class Day / When I Love You Turns To I Hate You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 5:51pm On Apr 20, 2022
How to speak to make someone change "No" to "Yes" and "I hate you" to "I love you."

marenx the Writer

One of the main aims of speaking better is to communicate respectfully and effectively.

How?

I offer top advice in details in the following paragraphs.

Speaking better isn't a big deal if you're prepared to use what excellent talkers call magic words. These magic words are: "Can I...?", "Please....", "Sorry!" and "Thank you...."

You know these magic words, don't you? And you've been using some in your everyday speech, haven't you? But are you using them effectively for better communication? With enthusiasm? Without drifting away?

If no, that's why you're reading this document.

So listen....

One day a student wanted to write French test but he didn't have a pen and there was my pen on a desk in front of him. He said, "Sir, let me use your pen." I didn't know when I said "No" because of anger.

But why did I let anger control me?

The answer is simple: because the student didn't use a magic word.

Assuming he said "Please Sir, can I use your pen?" I wouldn't have known when I said "Yes."

Magic words can make "rejection" become "acceptance" and can make "no" become "yes" and can make "Go away!" become "Please come back!" and can make "I hate you!" become "I love you!"

If someone tells you: "Hey, give me your umbrella!", wouldn't you feel disrespected or even afraid? Doesn't it sound gruesome? But what if he says: "Sorry please, can I use your umbrella for five minutes?"

You know the difference. He's taken root in your mind. But always remember to say, "Thank you."

Theodore Roosevelt, an American politician, statesman, conservationist, naturalist, historian, and writer who served as the 26th president of the United States from 1901 to 1909, said:

"Politeness [is] a sign of dignity, not subservience."

Another way to speak better is: if you want to say what someone said, please remember to acknowledge him. Don't say, "I came. I saw. I conquered." but say, "Napoleon Bonaparte said, 'I came. I saw. I conquered.'"

Always talk in full sentence too. Don't say, "Thanks, great performance" but say "Thank you, your performance is great."

Speaking better connects you with even a stranger or alien. It's one of the two major elements that make human beings wiser than other animals. We shouldn't forget this advice.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, an American essayist, lecturer, philosopher, abolitionist, and poet who led the transcendentalist movement of the mid-19th century, said:

“Speech is power. Speech is to persuade, to convert, to compel. It is to bring another out of his bad sense into your good sense.”

Thanks for reading. Speak better every time.

If you enjoy this post, read this one too: https://www.nairaland.com/7086101/big-secret-ask-yourself-question

2 Likes

Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 10:20pm On Apr 20, 2022
I teach, I write and I represent the less priveleged. marenjmafuyai@gmail.com 08182469977 (TEXT MESSAGE ONLY)
Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 10:26pm On Apr 20, 2022
I teach, I write and I represent the less priveleged. marenjmafuyai@gmail.com 08182469977 (TEXT MESSAGE ONLY)
Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by Gerardo88: 7:24am On Apr 21, 2022
You're right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 5:42pm On Apr 21, 2022
Gerardo88:
You're right
Thanks. You make my day.
Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by Gerardo88: 6:34pm On Apr 21, 2022
marenx:

Thanks. You make my day.
You are welcomed, am glad i did made ur day

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by 5991ayo: 7:36pm On Apr 21, 2022
Thank u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 7:55pm On Apr 21, 2022
5991ayo:
Thank u

Thanks for reading. I'm glad you love it. You make my day.

1 Like

Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 9:23pm On Apr 27, 2022
One day a student wanted to write French test but he didn't have a pen and there was my pen on a desk in front of him. He said, "Sir, let me use your pen." I didn't know when I said "No" because of anger.
Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 6:51am On May 03, 2022
Some neighbours told a lady that everything about her is wonderful. Later, I heard her in her hostel room say:
Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 6:44pm On May 04, 2022
Assuming he said "Please Sir, can I use your pen?" I wouldn't have known when I said "Yes."
Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 6:24am On May 11, 2022
Re: How To Speak To Make Someone Change "I Hate You" To "I Love You." by marenx: 6:58pm On May 19, 2022
7. It's unprecedented of you to talk to me in this manner.

8. The fact you don't want to solve this problem in the court of law is existential.

9. I'm afraid, your arrival is unprecedented.

10. I can feel your existential touch in this painting.

https://www.nairaland.com/7094354/use-these-two-elite-class-vocabularies#112986932

(1) (Reply)

I Lost Some Of My Literary Treasures In Lagos / Need Help On D Title Of A Book I Once Read / As I See It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.