Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora (31542 Views)

Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora / Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. / Any Nigerian In Kigali, Rwanda? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by OlawaleBammie: 9:25am On Apr 24, 2022
shantti:

If u get the opportunity to japa, JAPA!!!!!!!!! without looking back, in fact FLEE!!!!!!!!!! from dis country. What I am trying to tell u is that u shouldn't expect to turn into a millionaire overnight in Canada, America etc. U can save if u have focus
pls bro, let do the math, i would have japa'ed long ago but i simply diverted my funds to something else, reason I didn't want to go was for the fear of unknown. I dont want to go there and become redundant, jobless, useless or unnecessarily stressed. Reason i stil remain in my comfort zone ooh, i dont want to regret ever leaving Nigeria bro, i am afraid.

And secondly i dont know how to process my japa stuffs, no friends or family abroad, nothing nothing, so if i should go how am i going to cope with the issue of accomodation and jobs??
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by tradguide20(m): 11:16am On Apr 24, 2022
MeghaneMorgane:

I wasn’t talking about Canada

Beautiful scenes all over the world..
Best seen when you have the financial strength
https://trad-guide.com/forex-multiple-time-frame-analysis-in-forex-trading/
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by shantti(m): 12:40pm On Apr 24, 2022
OlawaleBammie:
pls bro, let do the math, i would have japa'ed long ago but i simply diverted my funds to something else, reason I didn't want to go was for the fear of unknown. I dont want to go there and become redundant, jobless, useless or unnecessarily stressed. Reason i stil remain in my comfort zone ooh, i dont want to regret ever leaving Nigeria bro, i am afraid.

And secondly i dont know how to process my japa stuffs, no friends or family abroad, nothing nothing, so if i should go how am i going to cope with the issue of accomodation and jobs??

I think the easiest route is through student visa
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by OlawaleBammie: 1:21pm On Apr 24, 2022
shantti:

I think the easiest route is through student visa
but my GP self no too strong grin
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by isyourboy(m): 3:14pm On Apr 24, 2022
OlawaleBammie:

Iro ni jaree

No be say a no go sleep na, 4hrs sleep is ok

Imagine collecting 35$ per hour, 20hrs a day, chaii

That is 700$ per day, let assume u work 25days a month and use the remaining days flex

That is a whopping $17,500, something around 8million naira

8million naira in a month cry cry cry, jeesus.. if u dey hear nibi loma kusi, boya loma dele grin na wetin dem dey call am be that

LoL.. this isn't true though. Tax kills your earnings here. And besides, why are you converting to naira? Try and get info
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by OlawaleBammie: 3:24pm On Apr 24, 2022
isyourboy:

LoL.. this isn't true though. Tax kills your earnings here. And besides, why are you converting to naira? Try and get info
guy are u telling me tax takes away more than 40% of ur earnings over there??
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by loliapoopy2013(f): 4:52pm On Apr 24, 2022
Faller:

Firstly getting a job isn't easy, I see a lot of Nigerians here doing menial jobs such as Driving, Security guards and so on, But also there are a lot of Nigerians working as professionals, so anything is possible. While the influx of Ukrainians might have an impact in getting some kind of Jobs, You still stand a chance of getting whatsoever job you want as long as you know what you're doing. Let me be honest with you, I'm not going to raise your Hopes up by saying getting a job is easy since you're a professional, but also I won't drag your chances down by saying it's hard and blah blah blah, because anything is possible. What I'll just say to you is try your best to be very good at whatever you're doing, and leave the rest for God

Thank you for your quick response.
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by loliapoopy2013(f): 4:56pm On Apr 24, 2022
SeriouslySense:
I wear my sweater, and try not to expose my body to cold, always have vitamin c, Panadol incase i notice flu, exercise also helps me, and due to the lack of sunlight, and darker skin, its harder to get enough vitamin d from the sunlight, so i make sure to take fish, to get vitamin d which also helps in synthesizing calcium sources for stronger bones.

Winter is tough, but by taking the necessary precaution, such as having sweater, or jackets, drinking hot fluid, using the indoor heater moderately, exercising, keeping some medicines at home, and getting enough vitamin d, one is able to boost the toughness of the body and mental balance.

Men! E no go easy ooo. But we will cross that bridge when we get there. Good to know that you have adjusted.

1 Like

Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by Ugosample(m): 7:07pm On Apr 24, 2022
oluseyiforjesus:
This guy dey use style mock people wey remain for him country
Yea
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by Ugosample(m): 7:08pm On Apr 24, 2022
SeriouslySense:
I watch western movies, so the culture shock is minimal, plus, i have adapted in terms food.

I enjoy outside Nigeria, they never take light away, you can walk outside at night, i dont have the criminal mindsets of Nigeria, i dont want to rape or steal or kidnap No No.

Best things, is that there is order, the bus always comes on time, and the people driving cars are no mad, they respect the traffic rules and pedestrians.

Outside Nigeria, you don't fight for water, electricity, good roads, access to information, its at your finger tips.

For those with good pans, you will reap the fruits of your labor without needing to know someone or going to Babalawo/ mamalawo.

Success takes some time, but once you know you are building yourself up, it will come eventually with consistency and focus even with little steps all the time.

But what i miss about Nigeria is family, extended family and food.

If i can remove those two things, there is nothing in Nigeria to miss.

I just wonder, how we were turned into animals in Nigeria. Could be over population, and other factors probably.
I honestly don't miss much about Nigeria to be very honest

1 Like

Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by Ugosample(m): 7:13pm On Apr 24, 2022
BigIyanga:

Consolation for the poor. GMB lives in the UK because of the health system. Tinubu depends on US/UK to live.
Osibanjo’s 80% of investments are in $£.abroad.
Aisha Buhari lives in Dubai. Atiku has businesses in Dubai, UK and US.
Peter Obi has business and investments in abroad. Your wealth not fit build meguard house for these inndividuals who dont trust Naija.
Dont worrry about dying.. cos it’s appointed unto average Naija to die in their 50s.. just chilax Naija is happening to u..
This gave me chills

1 Like

Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by SeriouslySense(m): 8:04pm On Apr 24, 2022
I understand, its not a place for decent people.

Ugosample:

I honestly don't miss much about Nigeria to be very honest
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by Akakanfirstclass(m): 9:18pm On Apr 24, 2022
Winters23:
Nothing sweet pass being a rich and wealthy man in Lagos or any other part of Nigeria.

It's only poor people that denigrate this great country and they think going abroad is a sure escape route from poverty...

I basically own and control the police station in my locality, the OC debriefs me regularly on security situation in my area.

I have white people work for me from all around the globe and they get paid as at when due.

I can't even count how many duplexes and mansions that I own.

I travel to any country without visa because I have countless CBI passports.

I live like a king and general even as a fvcking civilian.

The only social media I use is nairaland and I am a ghost on other social networks.

I love my country Nigeria, I die here!

Boss, all I need na employment oga, please reason me abeg
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by StAmbrose1(m): 10:04pm On Apr 24, 2022
MeghaneMorgane:

Whatever is the reason the French don’t like to speak English doesn’t matter to me. The good thing was that it forced me to learn the language. I also think language is a vital part of culture. They need to speak it to preserve it whether anyone likes it or not.

I used lots of resources
1. I went to a church that spoke only in French. I didn’t go to Nigerian church because they spoke in French and translated in English. I needed to hear just French.
2. I joined language clubs on Facebook. We go to a bar and just speak. We talk over a glass of beer. That way I got to meet with locals and was hearing French even more
3. I moved into a residence were I shared kitchen with other. I stayed in this residence for a while and honestly, it helped a lot because I spoke with others who spoke fluent French
4. I had 2 hours French class every week
5. I got a job in a restaurant. This job helped me improve my French drastically
6. I just listened to French. I practiced French on my own for at least one hour everyday

Funny thing now is that I have relaxed and don’t even bother anymore because I pick up new words and expressions very fast. I’m literally surrounded by French speaking people everyday. I only speak English when I’m speaking with my friends and family from Nigeria. If not, I’m speaking French.
That is nice. You made some valid points.
But for some obvious reasons, I think any organizations that use french and translate it into English are better than those that use only french.
You easily make notes, and good similarity and dissimilarity both in French and English to easily aid understanding and remembrance.
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by StAmbrose1(m): 10:15pm On Apr 24, 2022
SeriouslySense:
I understand, its not a place for decent people.

Nigeria is for the rich, and very fewer lucky ones from poor backgrounds.
Without having adequate funds or good, rich family background; you hardly experience good breakthrough or success in Nigeria.
A place where almost a third/tierce of the population lives under a dollar a day is a hell on earth unworthy of real human comfort.

1 Like

Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by StAmbrose1(m): 10:31pm On Apr 24, 2022
Faller:

I was in France some months ago, and I had to leave quickly because of the Language barrier, for some reason best known to them, they hate speaking English. I japa leave them abeg, although I wasn't planning on staying there, but the language barrier made my stay even shorter. In the UK you'll see them trying to impress you with their heavy accented English, but in their home town, reverse is the case, Don't get me wrong I'm not generalizing, but the French people like wahala abeg cheesy
That is just blind patriotism, and the unfair basis they have for others. Most of those European countries and few Asians detest speaking any other languages apart from theirs in their home country.
They take it as pride for strangers to speak their language to communicate with them even though they notice the other person has no knowledge of their language.
They take it as prestige.
And I see it as a form of racism because it carries some racist undertones.
When next you visit a country - if possible - you should restrict your travel within the most modern places because those foreign language oyibo matter tie wrapper.

In China, bigger cities like Shanghai, and Shenzhen have English speaking places.
In France, Paris stands out. Even Marseille should also stick out.

But by my observation, Italy still remains the best.
despite different unending tales of racism there, they are very hospitable and relatable.
Of recent, most of our people there are well received. Even though they passed through the backdoor.
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by emmyN(m): 11:26pm On Apr 24, 2022
MeghaneMorgane:
True. Language was my first culture shock. I couldn’t believe that I’d see myself in a place where no one spoke fluent English. I didn’t understand anything. Not even the signs. I literally had to use google translate for everything. I had no choice. Now the culture no longer shocks me.

You are the one that now shocks the culture, abi? cheesy
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by SeriouslySense(m): 11:27pm On Apr 24, 2022
You got it right. Exactly.

StAmbrose1:

Nigeria is for the rich, and very fewer lucky ones from poor backgrounds.
Without having adequate funds or good, rich family background; you hardly experience good breakthrough or success in Nigeria.
A place where almost a third/tierce of the population lives under a dollar a day is a hell on earth unworthy of real human comfort.

Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by BigIyanga: 12:26pm On Apr 26, 2022
Ugosample:

This gave me chills
They act like they’re Otedolas.. Femi is making all his $$ in Naija, but his family lives in UK and Monaco.
Tony Elemelu makes all $$ from Naija, but his family lives in UK
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by Ugosample(m): 2:36pm On Apr 26, 2022
BigIyanga:

They act like they’re Otedolas.. Femi is making all his $$ in Naija, but his family lives in UK and Monaco.
Tony Elemelu makes all $$ from Naija, but his family lives in UK
For real ?
His family lives in the UK?
What about him big house for island
Re: A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora by BigIyanga: 7:26pm On Apr 26, 2022
Ugosample:

For real ?
His family lives in the UK?
What about him big house for island
But house in Naija is nothing compared to their foreign investments. Otedola houses in EU can buy an entire neigborhood in VI/Banana Island

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Working In Seychelles / Is 10 Million Naira Enough To Leave Nigeria? (japa Plans) / Ghastly Accident Hits UNIZIK Awka Again - Check Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.