Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,119 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! (18562 Views)

Buhari Recalls Narrow Escape From Mob At Prayer Ground / Have you heard of this - Be informed, it's so real / Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by marcar(m): 5:30am On Jul 11, 2011
:-x
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 11, 2011
simple report this case to the branch manager of the bank. And if he does not handle d case to your satisfaction, report to the efcc. You re a brave 9jarian, keep it up.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by member479760: 6:45am On Jul 11, 2011
This is what SANUSI should work on and let the banks guarantee people' savings first then any other things follow.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 11, 2011
mkohagwu:

didnt know nigeria now has credit card skimmers, but something is missing!, how do they get the pin?
that device probably has a key-logger software embedded in it to also do that
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by daroz(m): 7:53am On Jul 11, 2011
Intrepid!:

I've [b]destroyed the device, and disposed of it safely, There was no chance of me going to the police, we all know 'police no be your friend!'[/b]
playboy19:

@op it is good to know that you have destroyed it but i will advice you to go to your bank and declare your card stolen because the fraudsters already have your information. Most of the skimmer are GSM, so they transfer the information to the sim number programmed on them, so whether you remove the skimmer or not, you have been skimmed already, so go declare you card stolen or loose your money. Plus you should have checked the atm machine for any hidden camera or a pin pad, one of the 2 must be there. And just so you know, that ish cost $3k

@poster, that thing was worth that much and u destroyed it? angry
Infact, are u sure u really destroyed it?? lipsrsealed
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Sike(m): 8:10am On Jul 11, 2011
Thank God i don't Bank, I prefer my Cash smiling @ me everyday.
Afterall my fore-father did the same and never regreted it.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by playmode(m): 8:12am On Jul 11, 2011
Please Nigerians ,avoid using ATMs ,Credit Cards ,SMS Banking ,Internet banking.Trust i have being there ,done that and i have seen many people cry.Especially with internet banking ,be extremely careful.There are some Nigerians guys who intentionally date these South African girls working in the banks here in Johannesburg.This girls connive with these guys and steal customers' profiles e.g Account number ,internet login pin, Cellphone number, Login password,security question e.t.c.The first thing the Nigerian scammers do is to block your sim card for hours so that you don't receive any sms notification from the bank.Then they log on to your bank account via the internet and transfer your daily limit to an another account.Before you realize what is happening they would have transferred a substantial amount from your account.

They usually block your sim card around 8P.M in the evening when you won't be expecting too many calls and they work over night to try and take as much as they can from your account.The victims usually realize that something is wrong with their phone the next day ,before they get their phone sorted and realize that their bank account has been tampered with usually takes up to 48 hours.The scammers would have the opportunity to transfer money from from account via the internet twice in 48 hours.They usually target company accounts, account that have a daily internet transfer limit of up to $9500.So in two days the criminals could get a total of $19,000 from your account.

Although SA banks have also made measures to counter internet banking theft.They have introduced the sms acess code system.When you login in to your account with your username and password ,the bank will sms an access code to your cellphone.Without inputting that code you will not be able to transact.The code changes every time,so every time you log on ,the bank will send you a new code.The scammers do not have access to your cellphone so even if they log into your account ,they will not be able to transact unless they have the access code.

Also beware of sending your personal details to unknown people via sms all in the name of entering a competition.ID theft is one of the biggest crimes in the world right now.It is easy to perpetuate and difficult for the police to trace.BE CAREFUL!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by stagger: 8:21am On Jul 11, 2011
I had written an ebook on this matter last year where I talked about skimming devices and how they work. Maybe I should put it up for free download to 50 persons.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by beeman80: 8:23am On Jul 11, 2011
Very nice of you.Please destroy the device quickly.Nigerian Police is in a failed state.The banks can't be trusted.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by werepeLeri: 8:29am On Jul 11, 2011
Some people are so myopic in their thinking and so ascribe this to be a Nigerian problem. Go to the UK and see people cry about the same problem with ATMs, its not in Nigeria alone.

http://www.hsbc.com.mt/1/2/PERSONAL/atms/do-not-be-a-victim-of-atm-fraud

Read that.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 11, 2011
ezeagu:

Laugh out loud at using ATM's in Nigeria.

I wouldn't be concerned about using Nigerian ATM's only. It happens in the UK and US as well, there are notices warning you not you use any ATM if any suspicious-looking devices are spotted. The wise thing is to leave them in place, act ignorant and simply draw the attention of the bank to its presence.

These notices also warn you not to remove any suspicious-looking devices. I think the OP took a big risk - people have been killed by the perpetrators of "Skimming", who are often not too far away. If they suspect you have their device on you, they could really harm you, possibly kill to regain their device, and protect their own identities. If they follow you home, you could also inardvently be putting your family at risk.

I'm careful when using any ATM, and that's in any country.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Kuic: 8:47am On Jul 11, 2011
Thank God 4 saving ur life,thanks 4 d info also,very timely,wld b cautious nxt time I  use d atm.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 11, 2011
Poster I must say you are really observant. Please destroy the machine, throw it away and move on with your life. You have already done a great good by removing the machine from the atm. Good work.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by earthrealm(m): 9:04am On Jul 11, 2011
poster, good job!!.

u cud go a step further by taking a pic of the device, destroyed or not and mail it to the banks customer care email address, copy as many people as you can in the banks email, u cud open a new email address for dat and send it from a cyber cafe, so that ur ip address cant be tracked.
u cud also copy efcc and icpc,
will upload their consumer complaint email address.
cheers

its only nigerians that can nigeria,
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by phreakabit(m): 9:12am On Jul 11, 2011
Thats a Skimmer, if Nigerians where enlightened enough on IT security, they should know to check this. There are various kinds of these devices. Ones that transmit data o a receiving computer or smart phone within the  premises via wifi and one that stores data in an internal storage device. There are also those that look like the ATM keypads too and hidden camera. So, get a little more enlightened more and be security conscious.And all should be well. How do I know all these? well I studied CISSP.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by werepeLeri: 9:14am On Jul 11, 2011
phreakabit:

Thats a Skimmer, if Nigerians where enlightened enough on IT security, they should know to check this. There are various kinds of these devices. Ones that transmit data o a receiving computer or smart phone within the  premises via wifi and one that stores data in an internal storage device. There are also those that look like the ATM keypads too and hidden camera. So, get a little more enlightened more and be security conscious.And all should be well. How do I know all these? well I studied CISSP.

LOL. You dont need to study CISSP to know all that common knowledge
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by phreakabit(m): 9:19am On Jul 11, 2011
Tell me you knew the name and the other details I gave before I did? You should learn to be a little bit grateful. If I hadn't told you the name you would still be calling it a device or maybe "Stuff".
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 11, 2011
And after, someone will come and say that Nigeria should Cashless banking or how do they say it, i pity the fool whom lack IT literate
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 11, 2011
phreakabit:

Am sorry bros, i did not study CISSP nor CID lol grin grin , but i knew the name was Skimmer, welcome to nairaland where anything u say will be use against you tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 11, 2011
earthrealm:

poster, good job!!.

u cud go a step further by taking a pic of the device, destroyed or not and mail it to the banks customer care email address, copy as many people as you can in the banks email,  u cud open a new email address for dat and send it from a cyber cafe, so that your ip address cant be tracked.
u cud also copy efcc and icpc,
will upload their consumer complaint email address.
cheers

its only nigerians that can nigeria,
To what end, she has already done enough. The people you want her to send it to are aware of its existence and I do not think there's anything that can be done as I dont see them posting police men to every single atm machine. If at all then they should enlighten all Nigerians about the existence of such but then again this is Nigeria where if a politician is not affected nothing will be done.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by phreakabit(m): 9:25am On Jul 11, 2011
odiaero:

Am sorry bros, i did not study CISSP nor CID lol grin grin , but i knew the name was Skimmer tongue tongue tongue tongue

How come you never mentioned it? Oh let me answer that for you. You did not know how to spell the name! Below is a quote from your previous post. Please tell me what the hell you meant in the emboldened part.

odiaero:

And after, someone will come and say that Nigeria should Cashless banking or how do they say it, i pity the fool whom lack IT literate

And  since we all like using emoticons        
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by luluosas(m): 9:46am On Jul 11, 2011
OP, I thank God for your life and thank you for the info. Seriously, can we do X-rays on the ATM machines around us? Don't tell anybody what you are doing cause, chances are that, the skimmers are everywhere watching.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by abes(m): 9:55am On Jul 11, 2011
This is just a type of the device, it comes with a pinhole camera for keyboard recording. This is scary

images from http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/10-04/atm-skimmers-how-to-protect-yourself.html

Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 11, 2011
^^^
I have to pull all atm mouth now o. Men naija.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by MMM2(m): 10:29am On Jul 11, 2011
Op
U re lucky,
Just thank God.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by phreakabit(m): 10:35am On Jul 11, 2011
Op
U re lucky,
Just thank God.

Boys for don dey declare bottles ontop him head/pocket  by now!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by PAQ(m): 10:43am On Jul 11, 2011
@Poster, report the case to the EFCC!
They are the only competent and trained agency on ATM/ Cyber related crimes.
Your finding would have helped us greatly.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by andyanders: 11:05am On Jul 11, 2011
Poster,

This should be properly investigated as the cctv hidden camera, must have captured the picture of the person who planted the device. It is very simple. No person that draws money from the ATM that the camera cannot capture. None absence of the Bank’s Security staff, might also be that some of them was party to the act. If not, then an insider at the bank must have been an accomplice.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by simpledude: 11:09am On Jul 11, 2011
Dear poster ,

Are you sure this happened on a GTBank ATM?

I bank with UBA , but the only Bank ATM i use in Nigeria are the ATMs of GTBank . This is because I am aware that they have anti-skimming devices installed on all their branch ATMs, unlike my Bank.

I feel a sense of security each time I go to a GTBank ATM. You will notice that an electronic covering is on their ATM to cover the keyboard and there is also a notice that the ATM is protected.

Please cross-check your story again.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Jakumo(m): 11:10am On Jul 11, 2011
blink182:

^^^
I have to pull all atm mouth now o.

Arresting Officer :   " My friend I beg stand well make I wear this handcuff for you. "

ATM Mouth Puller:  "  Ah ha OC, why you dey wicked me like this now, when e be say na ordinary PULL I pull the ATM mouth."

Arresting Officer :  " Na because of ATM Mouth-Puller dem, na him cause wey dem post we here.   No let me vex today and misfire my gun o."

ATM Mouth Puller :  "Ok, Ok, no froblem Megida, I no first hear ya language well.   Na how much I go take bail myself for ya Mobile Court this morning ?"

Arresting Officer :  " Na count dem dey count each ATM mouth pull offense, before accountant go fiti tell you how much gofment for collect."

ATM Mouth Puller :  " No be gofment own me I dey ask you, Ogami, na ya own estimate wey I go take free myself I say make you tell me."

Arresting Officer :  " Oya, Sargent, tow this man moto with immediate effect, and arrest am.  I no know say na another grammar man we come jam so."
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Ikeobinna(m): 11:13am On Jul 11, 2011
Thank u for dz invaluabe information, Whr were the bank security personel. The bank shld pay more attention to dea customers . I beliv the scammers collided with the bank security men b4 they cld hatch dea plan.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by jeffman(m): 11:20am On Jul 11, 2011
same way i lost 462, 000 naira

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Got My NAFDAC Number(my Personal Experience) / How To Make Money Running A Day Care Service Business In Nigeria / How Nigerian Banks Are Making Nigerians POOR.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.