Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,908 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! (18564 Views)

Buhari Recalls Narrow Escape From Mob At Prayer Ground / Have you heard of this - Be informed, it's so real / Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by agitator: 8:20am On Jul 13, 2011
Jeezy:

As far as i know, it is extremely difficult to clone a card. Users are just using their PIN online more often and there are several spyware available to capture such information.

The era of cloning cards was during magnetic striped cards, now the technology makes it a bit more difficult to clone the card. See below

See "It's very difficult if not impossible to clone the (chip and PIN) card," says Andi Coleman, a member of the Accredited Standards Committee X9, which determines standards for the financial industry in the U.S. "If you steal the card out of someone's wallet, you have to know the PIN in order to be able to use the card in a transaction."

from http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Are-chip-and-PIN-credit-cards-brn-3335348489.html?x=0&.v=1

I maintain that as long as you keep your pin to urself, u are safe.

My brother Igbo's have a proverb that says "Leave wetin dem write for motor enter motor." (Sorry i have only been hearing the pidgin english translation)

Google "chip programmer" some are less than $100 that is one of the disadvantages of the internet, anything can be sold online.
Previously people didn't have access to computers and there was limited knowledge (in other words those who knew about these things and their usage were few)

No you sim card can be cloned using the right tools and free software available online. What is required is just the encryption technique and password.

Note: All Chips/cards from the same bank use a single access password, so cracking the password once means they can have access to information on all cards they have contact with.

The device may have logging abilities. embedded in the machine all communications go through it. There is cross talk (discussion) between the card and the machine.

When the card is inserted the ATM ask the card for certain information and the card replies, not one but several and it goes sequentially.

Picture a situation with three people A, B, C.

A:  Mr C What is your name -> B -> Mr C
C: ->B-> My Name is John.
A: How old are you -> B -> Mr C

all communications goes through B so even if you are speaking in codes and B knows those codes or can record the information and ask D who knows the meaning of the codes later.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Bestglo(f): 11:58am On Jul 13, 2011
Thanks poster for saving yourself & a lot of others from loss
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by eherbal(m): 1:02pm On Jul 13, 2011
if the banks staffs were in on the deal,then you're in deep shiyt.you're the last known person to have transacted on the machine before the device went kaput.this means your information,including your address is manifest to them!run,dude,run!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.you should've gone to the SSS or EFCC,at least they're still reliable than the police.It's never too late.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by eewule(m): 4:38pm On Jul 14, 2011
I have heard a lot about this kind of card-details-theft here in London, but never come across a real story b4.
Thanks for posting the pictures - now i know what the device looks like, and can watchout when using ATMs
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Gbenge77(m): 5:46pm On Jul 14, 2011
@op,good job.@op,good job.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by nkim(m): 9:22pm On Jul 14, 2011
Bros thanks 4 d advice, lets join hands 2gether and fight dis mess d earlier d better

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Panasonic 'suspends Transactions' With Huawei After US Ban / How To Earn Daily Cashbacks On Opay In Less Than 5 Minutes / How To Create Jamb Cbt Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.