Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. (4974 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / Ever Been Emotional While Watching A Movie? / The X Factor 2010 (who's Watching) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by liquid7: 4:08pm On Jul 10, 2011
I have to admit that the movies are poor production(check out the bad sounds outside and the night scenes),poor dialogue,irrevalant additions(watching someone eat for 10 mins or drive a car around),terrible acting .
But i love watching them because quite simply they are fun to laugh at for all the silly mistakes and terrible dialogue ,and despite often been 3 hrs long i find myself in a good mood at the end.
So what are your reasons for watching nollywood movies?
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 10, 2011
1 To promote African movies. (If we do not promote our own, who will?)

2 For entertainment. (Yeah the production may be poor and everything but some are really entertaining.)
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by pslm23(f): 11:46pm On Jul 10, 2011
A home away from home. grin

Every time i'm down in the dumps or homesick, Nollywood movies is like a soothing balm to my soul grin but it also make me more homesick cry

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 10, 2011
Everytime a Nollywood is played in my School's African organization, no one seems to enjoy it. These ppl even seem to talk down on Nigeria, and I'm ALWAYS on the defensive side. But nowadays, there's nothing to defend as I've stopped watching Nollywood myself.

I prefer Yorubawood. I might add Bollywood to the picture.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Konjour(m): 1:21am On Jul 11, 2011
When i want to feel like i'm home, or when i need to listen to some Pidgin English.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 1:50am On Jul 11, 2011
My Reasons :

- To Feel home

- To Learn diverse dialects i.e Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo and Efik

- To Patronise Africa and Nigeria

- To get Updated
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 11, 2011
El Guapo:

My Reasons :

- To Feel home

- To Learn diverse dialects i.e Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo and Efik

- To get Updated

Define update. Because you're definitely getting 98.8% old recycled garbage from Nollywood, buddy.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 2:30am On Jul 11, 2011
They're entertaining. Funny cheesy cheesy
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Desola(f): 3:10am On Jul 11, 2011
My Reasons :

- To Feel home

- To Learn diverse dialects i.e Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo and[b] Efik[/b]

- To get Updated

Bloody lie! You only get to learn about ibo, not the other tribes you mentioned. "Nollywood" is ibo!
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by ObamaUS: 3:44am On Jul 11, 2011
I love watching them because they are like sleeping pills, They make me sleep
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by duke4ever: 4:52am On Jul 11, 2011
Desola:

Bloody lie! You only get to learn about ibo, not the other tribes you mentioned. "Nollywood" is ibo!

another Igbo hater. So Yoruwoood or ur firewood in the more diverse, right?
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by duke4ever: 5:12am On Jul 11, 2011
everytime we come here 2 post shits about a fast growing industry like Nollywood that has really done well in projecting Nigerian culture. We may not appreciate what we have but, I have friends fron T&T and other parts of America and Africa telling me about their liking of our movies.
If the NL's so called intellectuals think they can do better, esp.that woman of Idi, while not do something more surpassing than Nollywood. If have anything 2 concribute for the growth of this Nation, concentrate and be focused on it. But if u don't have SHUT THE Bleep UP and refrain ur hand from condemin the hardwork of others be it copied, photocopied or whatever u term it.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 5:32am On Jul 11, 2011
I watch because some are funny and some are just plain ridiculous but make for a really good laugh. I mostly watch the village type ones, I can't stand the one with the people faking accents and trying too hard.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by donclemo(m): 6:41am On Jul 11, 2011
duke4ever:

everytime we come here 2 post shits about a fast growing industry like Nollywood that has really done well in projecting Nigerian culture. We may not appreciate what we have but, I have friends fron T&T and other parts of America and Africa telling me about their liking of our movies.
If the NL's so called intellectuals think they can do better, esp.that woman of Idi, while not do something more surpassing than Nollywood. If have anything 2 concribute for the growth of this Nation, concentrate and be focused on it. But if u don't have SHUT THE bleep UP and refrain your hand from condemin the hardwork of others be it copied, photocopied or whatever u term it.
If we dont criticize how will dey improve do u think i dont like Nigerian movies to compete with Hollywood in terms of good production and everything. Nigerian music industry is growing some of the works of our artist and music producers can be compared with others abroad. the truth is that Nigerian movies are not trying. even though the picture quality of New Masquerade may not be great but that work still stands out.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by ugosly(m): 7:56am On Jul 11, 2011
hey pips,i think y'all hatin critics need 2 cut Nollywood some slack,think of it,when did the industry start,look how far they,ve come, personally Nollywood movies work for me cos:
1.the industry has created a lot of job opportunities 4 a lot of hitherto jobless young pple in terms of actin and marketing.
2.talkin abt bad(cheap) productions,hw will u feel,after xpendin a huge fortune 2 invest in a Nollywood muvee project and all ur sweat end up in hands of the street/go slow marketers via PIRATES OF THE ALABA INTL'
3:of cos i lov watching the gals, their beautiful hairdo and costumes.
4:som of the storylines and producers are damn cool(dont hav titles and names in my head now)but eg Emem Isong movies,thumbs up 2her, i culd go on and on,
me thinks with the right infracstructures(NEPA) and enviroment(SECURITY) Nollywood wil match and surpass Hollywood.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by MrGlobe(m): 8:23am On Jul 11, 2011
^^^^ Hey Jim iyke, is that you? I already saw Genevieve here but she goes by @duke4real. Nollywood garbage.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Sike(m): 8:25am On Jul 11, 2011
If we dont take care of our industry. . . Who Will
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by duke4ever: 8:40am On Jul 11, 2011
donclemo:

If we dont criticize how will dey improve do u think i dont like Nigerian movies to compete with Hollywood in terms of good production and everything. Nigerian music industry is growing some of the works of our artist and music producers can be compared with others abroad. the truth is that Nigerian movies are not trying. even though the picture quality of New Masquerade may not be great but that work still stands out.
well, I'll take contructive criticism, not the usual type in NL coming from bigoted and distorted spectacle of most here
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by duke4ever: 8:44am On Jul 11, 2011
Sike:

If we dont take care of our industry. . . Who Will
help me ask them oh
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by duke4ever: 8:49am On Jul 11, 2011
Mr. Globe:

^^^^ Hey Jim iyke, is that you? I already saw Genevieve here but she goes by @duke4real. Nollywood garbage.
Haaahahahahhahhahahhaha!!!!!! Bereft!! Hahahahahahahh!!! Sorry!!!!
Mtchewwww!!! Leaves,
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by antonion(m): 8:57am On Jul 11, 2011
I like the creativity it's universally unique , I love their movies because it also come's in Instalment, they don't just release one movie and sitback but they have other instalments link to the original movie.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by antonion(m): 9:02am On Jul 11, 2011
yep true that
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by AKO1(m): 9:38am On Jul 11, 2011
To amuse myself with the utter crap, and because of homesickness.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 11, 2011
Desola:

Am begining to wonder where Ini edo, Omotola, Ramsey noah, Desmond elliot etc all hail from! undecided

Ileke-IdI:

Define update. Because you're definitely getting 98.8% old recycled garbage from Nollywood, buddy.

Dearie when i miss out on an incident that happened in Nigeria, nollywood help to update me tru some movies
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by MMM2(m): 10:18am On Jul 11, 2011
Do 9ja act film
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by SUV(f): 11:20am On Jul 11, 2011
I watch because some are funny and some are just plain ridiculous but make for a really good laugh. I mostly watch the village type ones, I can't stand the one with the people faking accents and trying too hard.

same with me!
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by duke4ever: 11:24am On Jul 11, 2011
M M M:

Do 9ja act film
ape planet inhabitant
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by duke4ever: 11:27am On Jul 11, 2011
El Guapo:

Am begining to wonder where Ini edo, Omotola, Ramsey noah, Desmond elliot etc all hail from! undecided
May be they are Igbos too lol!! Funny NLs. The can go on and on
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by Rapmoney(m): 12:17pm On Jul 11, 2011
Nollywood? Yes Nollywood, most of the movies lack good directors, though, i sometimes
enjoy their comedy package.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by clemcykul(f): 12:50pm On Jul 11, 2011
they are hilarious, an average nigerian is a comedian. cool grin
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by THEAMAKA(f): 1:29pm On Jul 11, 2011
FOOLS speaking on what they don't know. whether the movie is Hausa, or English-speaking, they're considered Nollywood movies. when they count the number of NOLLYWOOD movies produced and distributed every year, they are counting ALL movies that are made in Nigeria, whether in native tongue or not. it's those that choose to divide themselves and start giving their movies all sorts of bogus names. Nollywood does NOT equal Igbo. maybe if some took the time to look at the names of many of the stars and producers, you will see that roughly 70% are Igbo. if others choose to stay in their group and do movies in their own language, how is that another man's fault? get off of your high horses, seriously.

reasons why i watch Nollywood:

1) its different
2) i can connect and understand many of the stories on a personal level, being that I'm a Nigerian/African
3) I've stated watching Hausa movies, and it helps me understand the culture and how they value religion and family vs what I'm used to.
4) comic relief; its fun to watch and laugh at all the mistakes and the bad acting

but I give Nollywood credit where it's due. to be a home-grown industry in a country where almost nothing works (security/constant electricity) and still be able to pull it off is amazing. Nollywood is adored not only by Nigerians, but other Africans.
if not for Nollywood, many outside of Nigeria would still have this myopic idea on what Nigeria and Nigerians are all about, based on stereotypes.
Nollywood has done what the Nigerian government has FAILED to do.
Nollywood is one of Nigeria's largest exports and does help the economy in a way.

KUDOS NOLLYWOOD.

El Guapo:

Mercy Johnson, Nse Ikpe, Susan Peters, Joseph Benjamin, Dakore, Olu Jacobs, Halima Abubakar, Lillian Bach, Regina Askia, Liz Benson, etc etc. thats not even including all the Ghanaian actors.
Re: What Are Your Reason For Watching Nollywood. by MissyB3(f): 1:32pm On Jul 11, 2011
rokiatu:

1 To promote African movies. (If we do not promote our own, who will?)

2 For entertainment. (Yeah the production may be poor and everything but some are really entertaining.)

THE AMAKA:

FOOLS speaking on what they don't know. whether the movie is Hausa, or English-speaking, they're considered Nollywood movies. when they count the number of NOLLYWOOD movies produced and distributed every year, they are counting ALL movies that are made in Nigeria, whether in native tongue or not. it's those that choose to divide themselves and start giving their movies all sorts of bogus names. Nollywood does NOT equal Igbo. maybe if some took the time to look at the names of many of the stars and producers, you will see that roughly 70% are Igbo. if others choose to stay in their group and do movies in their own language, how is that another man's fault? get off of your high horses, seriously.

reasons why i watch Nollywood:

1) its different
2) i can connect and understand many of the stories on a personal level, being that I'm a Nigerian/Africa
3) I've stated watching Hausa movies, and it helps me understand the culture and how they value religion and family vs what I'm used to.
4) comic relief; its fun to watch and laugh at all the mistakes and the bad acting

but I give Nollywood credit where it's due. to be a home-grown industry in a country where almost nothing works (security/constant electricity) and still be able to pull it off is amazing. Nollywood is adored not only by Nigerians, but other Africans.
if not for Nollywood, many outside of Nigeria would still have this myopic idea on what Nigeria and Nigerians are all about, based on stereotypes.
Nollywood has done what the Nigerian government has FAILED to do.
Nollywood is one of Nigeria's largest exports and does help the economy in a way.

KUDOS NOLLYWOOD.
Mercy Johnson, Nse Ikpe, Susan Peters, Joseph Benjamin, Lillian Bach, Regina Askia, Liz Benson, etc etc. thats not even including all the Ghanaian actors.
I rest my case!  cheesy

Talking about Nollywood, in case you 2 are interested, I have list of some 'new' movies that are really good. You'll thank me after seeing these movies and no, it's not a Gene movie. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Hitv Upgrade Software / What Is Cccam? / [new Movie Alert] - DUNE Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.