Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? (19756 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / What Is The Difference Between Igbo And Edo(esan) Men?? / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:43pm On Jul 15, 2011
Nnaa, maybe you should be looking into the almost extinct words and expressions. Igbo is more robust than you think. Also the updating of a language is the responsibility of the speakers of the language. Own what you speak. Don't wait around for some committee to announce the development of new words, eh-ehn. Instead if you come across something without an expression, just attribute it one expression, whether long or short and begin from there. If the expression fits, it sticks. If not, then don't worry. A new and more appropriate expression will come into your mind. That's how we've been doing it in our house.

Trust me, Igbo isn't as 'lacking' as many tend to think. If you have good command over what you speak, then you will see that you can easily use it to make sense of the world around you.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by dempeople(m): 4:49pm On Jul 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Nnaa, maybe you should be looking into the almost extinct words and expressions. Igbo is more robust than you think. Also the updating of a language is the responsibility of the speakers of the language. Own what you speak. Don't wait around for some committee to announce the development of new words, eh-ehn. Instead if you come across something without an expression, just attribute it one expression, whether long or short and begin from there. If the expression fits, it sticks. If not, then don't worry. A new and more appropriate expression will come into your mind. That's how we've been doing it in our house.

Trust me, Igbo isn't as 'lacking' as many tend to think. If you have good command over what you speak, then you will see that you can easily use it to make sense of the world around you.

wink wink wink
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2011
otapiapia:

Not true. Seems you've never met a speaker with a good command of the language or a speaker bred in an Igbo-speaking community.

You have a point there.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by lepasharon(f): 8:24pm On Jul 16, 2011
i beleive almost evry tribe in naija knows sme yoruba words so id say its easier nd more popular tongue wink
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by odumchi: 9:02pm On Jul 16, 2011
^^^
I am not from a tribe.
But as for what you said, almost every Pidgin speaker uses Igbo words in daily life. Words such as "una" and "na" in Pidgin have their origins in Igbo.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Ournaija: 11:07am On Jul 18, 2011
lepasharon:

i beleive almost evry tribe in naija knows sme yoruba words so id say its easier nd more popular tongue wink

Stop been sentimental. I will attribute the popularity of the language (Yoruba)  to Lagos (almost every tribe in Nigeria comes to Lag for one thing or the other). Hausa language is the most popular language in Nigeria even in West Africa sis.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Phate07(m): 6:03pm On Jul 18, 2011
Folks say Igbo is easier.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 3:43pm On Jul 20, 2011
I think it all depends on the person who's learning the language. I've come to realize that Ibibios, Efiks, Ijaws and people from the old eastern region find it easier learning Igbo. And you'll never know that they're not Igbo until they tell you. Because the pronunciation sounds just right.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Obiagu1(m): 8:33pm On Jul 20, 2011
afam4eva:

I think it all depends on the person who's learning the language. I've come to realize that Ibibios, Efiks, Ijaws and people from the old eastern region find it easier learning Igbo. And you'll never know that they're not Igbo until they tell you. Because the pronunciation sounds just right.

Igbo is very easy to learn. Some say it is hard to learn but they never step a foot in Igboland.
Will some Igbos speak Yoruba if they've not lived in the SW or Hausa if they've not lived in the North?

South Eastern groups speak Igbo because they live in and around Igbos and speak it.

Igbo is very easy to learn and very sweet too.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by otapiapia: 2:57pm On Jul 22, 2011
No Hausa speaker can say he speaks pure Hausa.

The Hausa language is heavily influenced with Arabic, and the average speaker code-switches between Hausa and Arabic, the same way the Igbos and Yorubas do with English.

The truth of the matter is that Hausa cannot be spoken without adding Arabic words/expressions to it.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 22, 2011
Ournaija:

Stop been sentimental. I will attribute the popularity of the language (Yoruba)  to Lagos (almost every tribe in Nigeria comes to Lag for one thing or the other). Hausa language is the most popular language in Nigeria even in West Africa sis.

Yoruba is not only spoken in Lagos or Nigeria. Other Africans and Non-Africans speak it too.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by mamagee3(f): 12:01am On Jul 31, 2011
Igbos are the best!!! cry
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by sistajay(f): 12:05am On Jul 31, 2011
Hausa!!
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 31, 2011
Certainly not igbo,
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Jarus(m): 12:18am On Jul 31, 2011
Hausa ıs the easıet Nıgerıan language I kmow.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Dgunnerz(m): 12:32am On Jul 31, 2011
If u dey for lagos and u no fit speak or understand small yoruba and no fit abuse 4 yoruba,u just come look nin 4 lag!
Hausa good for body and its kinda easier to learn!
Any Hausa Teacher wey dey here,halate ur boi oooo cos I must learn am sharp sharp!
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ebogentle(m): 12:46am On Jul 31, 2011
Hausa has 22 alphabets
Yoruba has 25 alphabets
Igbo has 36 alphabets

I believe that's a start.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 1:10am On Jul 31, 2011
odumchi:

^^^
I am not from a tribe.
But as for what you said, almost every Pidgin speaker uses Igbo words in daily life. Words such as "una" and "na" in Pidgin have their origins in Igbo.

Na as in is? No. But words like sọsọ, e don te (ọ [b]tele[/u]), where im de (ebe ole ka ọ di, una, and of course expressions like 'chei', I think.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by EzeUche(m): 1:50am On Jul 31, 2011
Igbo language is difficult to master.

The dialects make it even harder, because some dialects are not mutually intelligible.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by WebSurfer(m): 1:52am On Jul 31, 2011
lol
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ronkebp(f): 2:06am On Jul 31, 2011
@ Poster, Hausa is easier to learn,
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Onlytruth(m): 2:16am On Jul 31, 2011
Basic logic question for ileke-Idi:

Which is the easier alphabet to remember;  A or  B?

ileke-Idi answer: C    cry cry cry

na so we dey argue am for nairaland.  cry

I don talk am say we need IQ test here for nairaland.

On a serious note, the owner of nairaland should embed an IQ test application to political section.
Only those who pass a set threshold should be allowed to comment on issues.  cool
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 2:19am On Jul 31, 2011
Can anyone teach me how to start a new topic here?

thanks,
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by odumchi: 2:20am On Jul 31, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yoruba is not only spoken in Lagos or Nigeria. Other Africans and Non-Africans speak it too.

Yoruba is limited to Benin Republic, Nigeria and possibly Togo.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by odumchi: 2:22am On Jul 31, 2011
mama-gee:

Igbos are the best!!! cry

Someone is speaking the truth cheesy
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 2:26am On Jul 31, 2011
odumchi:

Someone is speaking the truth cheesy

Nairaland is getting boring because of tribal bigots. You lots are revolting. Btw, can odumachi or anyone here teach me how to start a new topic on here?
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by odumchi: 2:33am On Jul 31, 2011
I'm a bigot because I take pride in my ethnicity? See me see trouble, na wow\

To create a thread go to the apporpriate section you want to put it in and click "New Topic".
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by aljharem3: 2:39am On Jul 31, 2011
@TOPIC

Hausa is easier to learn

and I must put Igbo language is the hardest to learn In nigeria because of the different dialect and different phrases which means the same thing

But igbo language is certainly interesting to learn if you are dedicated cheesy I understand Hausa, yoruba and basic igbo as well

i am in the process myself. I have learnt a few phrases and sentences myself and i must say it is not easy
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 2:39am On Jul 31, 2011
thanks,
[/quote][quote author=odumchi link=topic=710844.msg8824115#msg8824115 date=1312075241]
Yoruba is limited to Benin Republic, Nigeria and possibly Togo.
Yoruba== spoken in Nigeria, Benin republic, Togo and Ghana. There is a tribe in Ghana that are descendants of the Yorubas. Its spoken in Cuba, Brazil and Haiti.

Igbo= Only in Nigeria, Local champions, haha, We have OYO empire documented in European and Arabic text, where is your empire? lol
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by shesi(m): 2:45am On Jul 31, 2011
Nobody in Ghana speaks Yoruba. that's a FACT. Hausa on the other hand, Hausa people are spread all across west africa and are their language is something of a lingua franca in west africa.

btw, why does everything here turn into an 'we're better than you guys' contest.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by odumchi: 2:46am On Jul 31, 2011
Igbo is spoken in Nigeria, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, and a few dialects that survied the slave trade are spoken in Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica and Brazil.
You must know little about the East or the Igbos for that matter. Havnt you heard "Igbo Enwegi Eze" meaning the Igbos have no king.
obo_man:

thanks, Yoruba== spoken in Nigeria, Benin republic, Togo and Ghana. There is a tribe in Ghana that are descendants of the Yorubas. Its spoken in Cuba, Brazil and Haiti.

Igbo= Only in Nigeria, Local champions, haha, We have OYO empire documented in European and Arabic text, where is your empire? lol
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 2:53am On Jul 31, 2011
odumchi:

Igbo is spoken in Nigeria, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, and a few dialects that survied the slave trade are spoken in Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica and Brazil.
You must know little about the East or the Igbos for that matter. Havnt you heard "Igbo Enwegi Eze" meaning the Igbos have no king.

LoOOOOOOL, Great empires, kingdom and dynasties have kings, how come the igbos have none? Lack of leadership signifies chaos, disorder, etc. Thank goodness I aint part of such a tribe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pictures Of Oro Carnival / Elebuibon Chides Emir Sulu-Gambari For Stopping Isese Festival In Ilorin / 2017 African Drums Festival In Abeokuta, Ogun State (Live Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.