Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. (4697 Views)

GEJ's Achievements: Aganga, Iweala, Nebo, Adesina & Madueke Give Accounts / M.I.N.T. :nigeria, Mexico To Increase Trade, Investment-minister / Did Anyone See Sanusi & Aganga On Tv Answering Furious Senators? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by dustydee: 8:46am On Jul 12, 2011
Trade and investment. hmmn Good luck to Nigeria.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by dotman(m): 8:50am On Jul 12, 2011
Nigerians are unbelievable, hard to please bunch of blind peeps. they give you an incompetent malo minister, u would complain, now an educated accountant, from Goldman Sachs, still the same story. When would you all go beyond this blindness and see the light.

As far as am concerned, the guy did great when he was finance minister, the depleting of the excess account wasn't entirely his fault, and with the sovereign trust fund, the account has a better definition. Most of you cannot do one third of what he achieved, so have better reasons to criticize him.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by trueword: 8:56am On Jul 12, 2011
the trade and investment ministry replaces the commerce and investment ministry. Hope Aganga will deliver.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by 2bosun: 9:02am On Jul 12, 2011
trueword:

It is not the Finance Minister's job to manage the inflation rate. That is the role of the Central Bank through monetary policy.

That is true but you cannot under-estimate the influence of the Finance Minister's position on the economy. The Finance minister works together with the CBN to create policies that move the economy forward. May I remind you also that he was the Chairman of the much trumpeted economic team (NEMT), which also had the CBN governor on board. He had his chances to make a difference, he simply couldn't.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by beautynig: 9:08am On Jul 12, 2011
Hey, Are you SINGLE and ready to mingle?take a tour of our page @ http://www.facebook.com/house4​5.tv Join other singles and married as we talk about dating/sex/relationship/marriage. Visit www.house45.tv
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by dotman(m): 9:13am On Jul 12, 2011
beauty.nig:

Hey, Are you SINGLE and ready to mingle?take a tour of our page @ http://www.facebook.com/house4​5.tv Join other singles and married as we talk about dating/sex/relationship/marriage. Visit www.house45.tv

Try the next house.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by sley4life(m): 9:20am On Jul 12, 2011
another post to siphon money
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by ideylaff: 10:18am On Jul 12, 2011
Olusegun Aganga, Nigeria’s former finance minister, took up a new position today as trade and investment minister in President Goodluck Jonathan’s Cabinet, the ministry said in an e-mailed statement.
Aganga’s job at the new ministry is to attract private investment to help grow the economy of Africa’s most populous country of more than 150 million people, according to the statement.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-11/nigerian-president-jonathan-makes-aganga-trade-and-investment-minister.html

I'm betting on him to flop again. I have no faith in this fellow, he made some schoolboy errors on his last appointment. Well, you would not expect much more from someone with a degree in Biological Sciences and Theology

Well, you would not expect much more from someone with a degree in Biological Sciences and Theology

@ 2bosun That's not a nice thing to say about those disciplines, whats wrong with a degree in Biological Sciences and Theology, the fella made it to the top @ Investment Bank, which means he has substance but might not have the where with all to handle a complex country like Nigeria and the polity of a Political setting, thats haba,

The Guy goofed @ the senate hearing, yes he did, but hey, the fella was Finance Minister during an election. (the most pressured situation), you think its that easy to say NO to PDP when they come up with all their mago mago we need money within the system for this and that,

You have to be able to play the game smartly and diplomatically, that is another area Aganga failed in,

Apart from that our finances are not that complex to run, trust me,  we make it look like rocket science, its not,

CUT CORRUPTION, REDUCE OVERHEADS WITHIN THE CENTRE/SLASH RED TAPE and BUREAUCRATIC.OFFICES, LASTLY ENCOURAGE AND GENUINELY BOOST SME'S  (Small Medium Enterprise -THE DRIVERS OF A DEVELOPING NATION) AND NOT JUST with lip service attention/uncontrolled seminars and presentations,  simple AS

Even a 2nd year Economics graduate can offer that advice , without batting an eyelid.

An Okonjo Iweala situation, is not really a jump up and dance alleluia  solution in my opinion, if we dont fix all the above ,she will be working 4 steps forward and 3 steps backwards, till her tenure runs out.

The World Bank runs itself, whether you have an expert at the helm of the affairs or not Harvard or Not, so I don't see why the party over Okonjo is all about,  Okonjo was purely administrative, if you follow her career path,

That's why in her last stint, it was always PowerPoint Presentations, session after session, was in a few of them and I thought, madam, I've seen this b4, we need the basics, simplified that will impact the lives of people on a daily basis, no need for IMF to tell us that we are going to
grow 1, 3 or 5 % this year, we know the things to do, if we do them right, we will grow, and we have the population factor on our side as a plus

GOD help us,

In fact my fear is that she does not follow what the are taught @ Harvard + IMF + Worl Bank, to the letter,  "Deliver more countries into our hands for the bondage to contuinue, or we make the markets difficult for you to survive in,  lipsrsealed

Shame we do more imports than export so we have nothing to brag with like China or Japan, what can we flood the market with as a bargaining chip,  Dangotes Cement, or Noodles,  LOL,

Goodluck to both Okonjo and Aganga, cos their roles are very important in shaping out future,  May the vultures in Aso allow them to function.right, AMEN
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by mbulela: 11:09am On Jul 12, 2011
all these grammar being spoken here are irrelevant.
if the President has no intention and political will to be fisically responsible,even Nobel price winners in economics can do no wonders.the worst you can do is resign.
Okonjo-iweala will do no wonders as long as the gravy train called PDP hold GEJ by the jugular.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by 2bosun: 11:43am On Jul 12, 2011
ideylaff:

@ 2bosun T[b]hat's not a nice thing to say about those disciplines, whats wrong with a degree in Biological Sciences and Theology[/b], the fella made it to the top @ Investment Bank, which means he has substance but might not have the where with all to handle a complex country like Nigeria and the polity of a Political setting, thats haba,

The Guy goofed @ the senate hearing, yes he did, but hey, the fella was Finance Minister during an election. (the most pressured situation), you think its that easy to say NO to PDP when they come up with all their mago mago we need money within the system for this and that,

You have to be able to play the game smartly and diplomatically, that is another area Aganga failed in,

Apart from that our finances are not that complex to run, trust me,  we make it look like rocket science, its not,

CUT CORRUPTION, REDUCE OVERHEADS WITHIN THE CENTRE/SLASH RED TAPE and BUREAUCRATIC.OFFICES, LASTLY ENCOURAGE AND GENUINELY BOOST SME'S  (Small Medium Enterprise -THE DRIVERS OF A DEVELOPING NATION) AND NOT JUST with lip service attention/uncontrolled seminars and presentations,  simple AS

Even a 2nd year Economics graduate can offer that advice , without batting an eyelid.

An Okonjo Iweala situation, is not really a jump up and dance alleluia  solution in my opinion, if we dont fix all the above ,she will be working 4 steps forward and 3 steps backwards, till her tenure runs out.

The World Bank runs itself, whether you have an expert at the helm of the affairs or not Harvard or Not, so I don't see why the party over Okonjo is all about,  Okonjo was purely administrative, if you follow her career path,

That's why in her last stint, it was always PowerPoint Presentations, session after session, was in a few of them and I thought, madam, I've seen this b4, we need the basics, simplified that will impact the lives of people on a daily basis, no need for IMF to tell us that we are going to
grow 1, 3 or 5 % this year, we know the things to do, if we do them right, we will grow, and we have the population factor on our side as a plus

GOD help us,

In fact my fear is that she does not follow what the are taught @ Harvard + IMF + Worl Bank, to the letter,  "Deliver more countries into our hands for the bondage to contuinue, or we make the markets difficult for you to survive in,  lipsrsealed

Shame we do more imports than export so we have nothing to brag with like China or Japan, what can we flood the market with as a bargaining chip,  Dangotes Cement, or Noodles,  LOL,

Goodluck to both Okonjo and Aganga, cos their roles are very important in shaping out future,  May the vultures in Aso allow them to function.right, AMEN

If you read through the thread, I never said there was anything wrong a biology degree- I have one myself. I would rather have an economist run a $40bn budget and not a biologist, theologian, or an IB.

He goofed from the beginning by not saying anything about the monetary framework- at the moment, the government gives money to banks and borrows it back to control inflation- at a cost of N500bn! other things like the closure of the dollar allocation account etc which he never addressed makes me think he was clueless about the complex Nigerian economy. I wish him the best of luck with his current portfolio.

Lastly, no matter how "talented" Ngozi is, if she fails to deal with fiscal policy, she will NEVER succeed on the job. She did during her last term, which is why I have more faith in her.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by Geomel: 11:44am On Jul 12, 2011
What a wonderful story.
we offer the best cheap properties for sales in the mainland and island.
www.goemelpropeties..com
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by walaky(m): 11:48am On Jul 12, 2011
As if we don't know what they are doing, they just want to keep this guys in Government (Aganga,  et all) this people are just members of their party that they just want to keep spending, why do we need create a Ministry for us to attract investment, all we need do is fix our power and tighten our security and you will see how these investors will flock our land of course everybody know it that Nigeria is still much a virgin land for investment but as long as we're having security issue and Power they will never come in and right now they are busy creating Ministry which will in turn be another expenses, do they think we're dumb, let them continue to create offices for themselves we're watching one day all of this will end?
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by mbulela: 12:05pm On Jul 12, 2011
2bosun:

Lastly, no matter how "talented" Ngozi is, if she fails to deal with fiscal policy, she will NEVER succeed on the job. She did during her last term, which is why I have more faith in her.

that is if GEJ and PDP and even the governors club let her.
dealing with fiscal policy in this climate is not a function of academic ability but more of political gamemanship.
the reason why i am uncomfortable with the hype around her is that her previous success in govt was more a case of OBJ providing the ncessary room and space than her ability as an economist.
will GEJ provide same?
can he even provide same?
the jury is out.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by Laajman(m): 1:23pm On Jul 12, 2011
PapaBrowne and Ideylaff have made excellent points.

While it is great to have round pegs in rounds holes, a lot of their success would depend on their willpower, as well as GEJ's, to take bold steps.
The type Sanusi has taken- whether we agree with it or not is a completely different argument.

I'm hoping Aganga would succeed in his new role. Let's give him some credit. Its easy to just sit in front of your computer and just criticize people.
I'd expect him to do a terrific job with the Sovereign Wealth Fund, and streamline Govt policies to make Nigeria more attractive for FDI.
In fact, he could have make a larger impact in this ministry as opposed to the finance ministry.

I don't imagine it is easy to make a difference in Nigeria's Public Service.
There are too many factors working against you from day 1 - from the corrupt and inept civil servants, to powerful persons who have vested interests and access to Aso Rock.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by martinosi: 1:27pm On Jul 12, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Powerful!! Perfect fitting!! Now he can find a way to channel all that Goldman Sachs billions down here to fix our infrastructure!! If you understand how much is waiting outside to be channeled into PPPs and other project developments, you would love this new ministry!!
It is just right! It is for reasons like these I voted Jonathan!!
The $500 million Bond was a first in in series of many many more!!

What Planet are you living on,  I worked for Goldman-Sachs, they are not in the business of pouring money
into a country to build infrastructure, they are into the business of collateralization of the assest of a country
and making a financial instrument out of it and selling it on the Financial Markets!!!
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by martinosi: 1:31pm On Jul 12, 2011
Laajman:

PapaBrowne and Ideylaff have made excellent points.

While it is great to have round pegs in rounds holes, a lot of their success would depend on their willpower, as well as GEJ's, to take bold steps.
The type Sanusi has taken- whether we agree with it or not is a completely different argument.

I'm hoping Aganga would succeed in his new role. Let's give him some credit. Its easy to just sit in front of your computer and just criticize people.
I'd expect him to do a terrific job with the Sovereign Wealth Fund, and streamline Govt policies to make Nigeria more attractive for FDI.
In fact, he could have make a larger impact in this ministry as opposed to the finance ministry.

I don't imagine it is easy to make a difference in Nigeria's Public Service.
There are too many factors working against you from day 1 - from the corrupt and inept civil servants, to powerful persons who have vested interests and access to Aso Rock.

PapaBrowne and Ideylaff just like chatting about things they dont
have any intricate knowledge off,

If these guys had the chance they be licking my Former Boss "Lloyd Blankfein" shoes, !
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by Roland17(m): 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2011
He wants to be minister by fire by force,
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by Laajman(m): 3:19pm On Jul 12, 2011
Martinosi- congrats on your Goldman Sachs (GS) experience.

Apparently, you haven't heard of GS Infrastructure Partners; a fund set up to invest in Infra projects.

Thats besides the point anyway. It doesnt have to be GS who makes the investments.
The point is for the Minister to create the enabling environment. Clearly, Nigeria needs massive investments in
Infra, amongst other things.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by ideylaff: 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2011
PapaBrowne and Ideylaff just like chatting about things they dont
have any intricate knowledge off,

If these guys had the chance they be licking my Former Boss "Lloyd Blankfein" shoes, !

LOL>>> Mr GS   , @ martinosi if you may want to know, I consulted for

Henry Paulson who happened to precede you former boss, as Chairman CEO of GS,

I have worked on numerous processes and units with GS on a Private consultancy basis, for over
18 years, + , They payed me,  I was not an employee like you, so we see things both from inside and from outside,  lipsrsealed

Even if you dont want to take our advice on board, no need to rubbish us and now brag about GS, LOL,

Is that OK boss. FYI, i did not only consult for GS, I did for the Top 10 Investment banks, and also for 5 Central banks in Europe,

Also had a stint with Okonjo Iweala, but the vultures in the polity wont let things work, so I have pride and dignity, intact,

which entity or unit in GS u work for self, just joking bro, i take your point on board as well,
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by obowunmi(m): 8:04pm On Jul 12, 2011
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by ideylaff: 10:02pm On Jul 12, 2011
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

nor cry ooo,

if I may ask what is about to make u laugh or cry, wink
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by trueword: 11:38pm On Jul 12, 2011
2bosun:

That is true but you cannot under-estimate the influence of the Finance Minister's position on the economy. The Finance minister works together with the CBN to create policies that move the economy forward. May I remind you also that he was the Chairman of the much trumpeted economic team (NEMT), which also had the CBN governor on board. He had his chances to make a difference, he simply couldn't.

Yes that is true. the Finance minister and Central Bank governor need to work together so their policies don't contradict each other. Aganga should have been more forceful in trying to cut down the recurrent expenditure in the budget. The annual budget should contain a greater percent of money for capital projects than on paying salaries.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by MAYOWAAK: 11:44pm On Jul 12, 2011
We warned Ngozi Okonjo Iwealla not to take up appointment with no-good GEJ's govt, she didn't hear. Today she has fallen complete mugu of GEJ and PDP's magic. Finance Ministry has been split, GEJ created a new ministry called Trade & Investment Ministry which is overlapping the functions of Finance Ministry. Her powers checked and confined. Sorry we warned you that PDP govt cannot be trusted.
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by ideylaff: 2:47am On Jul 13, 2011
We warned Ngozi Okonjo Iwealla not to take up appointment with no-good GEJ's govt, she didn't hear. Today she has fallen complete mugu of GEJ and PDP's magic. Finance Ministry has been split, GEJ created a new ministry called Trade & Investment Ministry which is overlapping the functions of Finance Ministry. Her powers checked and confined. Sorry we warned you that PDP govt cannot be trusted.

NOI nor mind at all . her political agenda spin is already in place, minister na small her target is up there, grin
Re: Goodluck Appoints Aganga As New Trade And Investment Minister. by onephone: 7:06am On Sep 26, 2011
When investing in hair tape, proper care will help them last a long time. You'll need to periodically clean your micro ring hair extensions with the right cleanser and keep them tangle-free. By treating them gently, they'll be all set to spice up your micro loop hair extensions the next time you want to wear them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba People Truly Blessed / Nnamdi Kanu Arrives Kuwait City-photos / Why Nigeria Is Better Than American

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.